• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MasterSpenny

Wasn’t the 355 recently converted to only Streetlites?
Yes but double deckers still appear. WS101-103 went to Orpington to replace Scanias on the 358. Enviro 200s from route 276 loss released the StreetLites back (I have a photo of one of the 355 StreetLites when it was at Orpington, will upload to my bus media album. The album is linked below).
Go Ahead London’s Orpington garage on the 2023 open day. Seen visible is Wrightbus StreetLite WS103, which recently went back to the 355.

Taken 23 September 2023

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Yes but double deckers still appear. WS101-103 went to Orpington to replace Scanias on the 358. Enviro 200s from route 276 loss released the StreetLites back (I have a photo of one of the 355 StreetLites when it was at Orpington, will upload to my bus media album. The album is linked below).

Genuine question - did the WSs go to Orpington to replace the three Citaros which were destroyed in the depot fire, rather than replace the Scanias? Or did the Scanias come back from a dealer to replace the Citaros, and then the WSs replaced those Scanias?

MasterSpenny

Genuine question - did the WSs go to Orpington to replace the three Citaros which were destroyed in the depot fire, rather than replace the Scanias? Or did the Scanias come back from a dealer to replace the Citaros, and then the WSs replaced those Scanias?
From what I remember, when the 293 passed to RATP in September 2018, the Scania OmniCities were made redundant as the 358 had its Citaros back then. The Scanias were placed into storage, and then the fire broke out. As such, they needed to bring some back. But then, Coronavirus came along in 2020, and I don’t think they survived it. So Go Ahead found 3 double deckers, put them on the 355, and have WS100-103 at Orpington until a long term solution is found until electrics enter. They are over 3 years late for contract start date entry (Contract started in September 2020 from what I remember)

Surprised all of them are going electric when the Enviro 400 City Hybrids from routes 133 and 333 could have been used. Unless they are considering them for somewhere else?
W3 from Wood Green (WN) garage is intended to use Enviro 400 City Hybrids along with the ones displaced from the loss of the 78 to Go-Ahead.

talldave

Established Member
Went for a first "electric" trip on a 450 to West Croydon today. Not an overwhelming success. A 30 minute wait and then 3 buses arrive in convoy together. Add in the journey time and it would have been quicker to walk!

Most puzzling was the stop announcements running a couple of miles behind where the bus actually was. Why is such basic stuff not working properly on a brand new bus?

450.emu

Some electrics still operate but I was surprised to see so many conventional diesels on the route on my travels up to Barnet way the other day, so this makes sense.

Spoke to 377 driver last week, they are being told expect next month but there is still a bit of uncertainty.
Seems odd that Switch can get a batch ready and shipped out to Abellio quickly yet struggles to ready 4 buses for Arriva and the 377... still a large amount of DWs on the 307, I think the charging issues are still preventing all the electrics going into full service.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Having spent some time around Wood Green and Dalston this week, what was the reasoning behind the 67 having its entire southern end hacked off? Other than one small section of road in Haringey the route is pretty much useless, being duplicated by the far busier and useful 149 and 243 from Stamford Hill to Dalston. When the 67 used to serve Shoreditch and Aldgate it performed a far more worthwhile function in being the only bus service along Commercial Road in Shoreditch. At the very least, if TFL wanted to reduce the amount of buses serving Aldgate it could have diverted the 67 to Whitechapel as a Crossrail feeder.

Edsmith

Having spent some time around Wood Green and Dalston this week, what was the reasoning behind the 67 having its entire southern end hacked off? Other than one small section of road in Haringey the route is pretty much useless, being duplicated by the far busier and useful 149 and 243 from Stamford Hill to Dalston. When the 67 used to serve Shoreditch and Aldgate it performed a far more worthwhile function in being the only bus service along Commercial Road in Shoreditch. At the very least, if TFL wanted to reduce the amount of buses serving Aldgate it could have diverted the 67 to Whitechapel as a Crossrail feeder.
The Aldgate section was replaced by the 242 about three years ago.

Seems odd that Switch can get a batch ready and shipped out to Abellio quickly yet struggles to ready 4 buses for Arriva and the 377... still a large amount of DWs on the 307, I think the charging issues are still preventing all the electrics going into full service.
The local electricity supply isn't up to charging anymore buses at the moment.

TWBG

stevenedin

Established Member
Some seats seem to have been replaced with plastic rather than moquette. Is this going to happen to all buses in London?

TWBG

One of the drivers said that they are awaiting longer charging leads but 4 months on and 9 out of 16 vehicles were on the 307 today. It seems like that they [the charging leads] take forever to arrive at the garage. The lack of Electroliners have nothing to do with the power supply

Edsmith

One of the drivers said that they are awaiting longer charging leads but 4 months on and 9 out of 16 vehicles were on the 307 today. It seems like that they [the charging leads] take forever to arrive at the garage. The lack of Electroliners have nothing to do with the power supply

450.emu

Someone really has to take the lead on this issue :E

TWBG

Surprised all of them are going electric when the Enviro 400 City Hybrids from routes 133 and 333 could have been used. Unless they are considering them for somewhere else?
Maybe they can go to Enfield for the 121, 191 to replace the aging Wright Gemini 2 bodied VDL DB300s (62 and 13-plates which are more than 10 years old)

MasterSpenny

What buses could the 363 start with when it passes to Abellio London in a couple weeks? (If the StreetDeck Electroliners don’t arrive in time, of which it seems to be going that way alongside the hybrids that should be transferred in soon)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Some seats seem to have been replaced with plastic rather than moquette. Is this going to happen to all buses in London?
It's only Stagecoach that's doing this. I don't know what they're playing at given their latest new buses have TfL moquette.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I really don’t like the new front bumper because it looks really hideous.

Looks like a Wright product and the bumper of a Plaxton President.
It's not only the front bumper that's changed. So has the windscreen shape.