• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

Edsmith

Overbussed? I wonder why the Bakerloo Line extension that way is the number one priority on the TfL wish list, then. The 168 gave the only direct route to Waterloo, Holborn etc, while the 53 has been ridiculously cut back to no longer cross the Thames. Not everyone wants to change buses at Elephant or Bricklayer's to complete a relatively short journey. The people of almost tubeless S.E. London are always treated lamentably by transport authorities.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill, the revised route 1 covers the ex 168 route from Bricklayers Arms all the way to Hampstead Heath and the other few stops still have the 172 to Waterloo and Aldwych. The Bakerloo Line extension has been 'in the pipeline' for 50 years or more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You're making a mountain out of a molehill, the revised route 1 covers the ex 168 route from Bricklayers Arms all the way to Hampstead Heath and the other few stops still have the 172 to Waterloo and Aldwych. The Bakerloo Line extension has been 'in the pipeline' for 50 years or more.
You're overlooking the 168 starting from halfway down Old Kent Road i.e. an empty bus rather than one potentially, or actually, full from further afield, which was why it terminated there in the first place. I agree it's not a huge decision, but I was answering the question about why the 1 was extended with my reply about cost cutting and identifying which group of passengers would be most affected, imo, but I shan't argue the point any further.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
You're overlooking the 168 starting from halfway down Old Kent Road i.e. an empty bus rather than one potentially, or actually, full from further afield, which was why it terminated there in the first place. I agree it's not a huge decision, but I was answering the question about why the 1 was extended with my reply about cost cutting and identifying which group of passengers would be most affected, imo, but I shan't argue the point any further.
The other corridor which is losing capacity as a result of this cut/change is (part of) the N-S Aldwych-Euston connection. Every time there are changes made in central London, we seem to lose another route somewhere there.

Edsmith

The other corridor which is losing capacity as a result of this cut/change is (part of) the N-S Aldwych-Euston connection. Every time there are changes made in central London, we seem to lose another route somewhere there.
That's the whole point of it to reduce over bussing, demand in Central London is never going to return to pre pandemic levels.

I am sorry if you know this already but I have found out a trick on the London Bus Finder website, I accidently entered a London Bus registration number with the last digit missing and to my surprise it listed all the buses with the first six digits of this registration number including two buses in Bolton, please see the example below.
So I tried to list all the New Routemasters (LT's) by entering LTZ which is the first three digits of all the Boris Buses and it listed everyone of them, I could even see the two that have been withdrawn which are LT8 and LT174
OperFleetRegRouteDestinationTimeStopStop Name
GALSEe243eLG73FYC450last seen at 13:41 04-10-2023
GALSEe244eLG73FYD450Lower Sydenham16:3751335Bedford Hall
GALSEe245eLG73FYE450last seen at 23:50 03-10-2023
GALSEe246eLG73FYF450last seen at 07:22 04-10-2023
GALSEe247eLG73FYH450West Croydon16:3756293Brook Road
GALSEe248eLG73FYJ450Lower Sydenham16:3649790Harold Road/Chevening Road
GALSEe249eLG73FYKNo record of this vehicle in service
GALSEe250eLG73FYL450Lower Sydenham16:3652146Fountain Drive
GALSEe251eLG73FYM450West Croydon16:3576329Sydenham High School
GALSEe252eLG73FYN450West Croydon16:3758329Dale Park Road
GALSEe253eLG73FYO450Lower Sydenham16:3649916Brook Road
GALSEe254eLG73FYP450Lower Sydenham16:3757067Charleville Circus
GALSEe255eLG73FYR450Lower Sydenham16:3549916Brook Road
GALSEe256eLG73FYS450West Croydon16:3749674Ellery Road
GALSEe257eLG73FYT450West Croydon16:3653732Westow Hill
GALSEe258eLG73FYU450Lower Sydenham16:3776613Kingswood Drive/College Road
GALSEe259eLG73FYV450Lower Sydenham16:3756721Bell Green/Sainsburys
GALSEe233eLG73FYWNo record of this vehicle in service
GALSEe234eLG73FYXNo record of this vehicle in service
GALSEe235eLG73FYYNo record of this vehicle in service
GALSEe236eLG73FYZNo record of this vehicle in service
GM2004bLG73FYA36last seen at 09:50 04-10-2023
GM2005bLG73FYB36Bolton Interchange16:36Salford, Langworthy Rd

According to Bustimes it's currently heading north on the 32 in the Cricklewood area.
I have just checked and you are dead right, it did show vehicle withdrawn from AL, but as has been pointed out it is running for ML now, my apologizes for my error.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
That's the whole point of it to reduce over bussing, demand in Central London is never going to return to pre pandemic levels.

Lots of locals wouldn't call the previous situation overbussing. Various links no longer exist without extra changes; if you're not very mobile, carrying shopping etc, and have to queue more times in the rain and squeeze onto a crowded bus more times, to make what was once a through journey with adequate provision for busy times, it feels like the current situation is underbussing.

BJames

Established Member
The 329 might be moving to Wood Green
If so, to create space for the SL1?
I do not know how genuine this is though, hence the word ’might’
From conversation today - drivers are a little unsure of what's happening - the general consensus was that it seems pretty certain, indeed a date of 11 December for 329 moving has been floated, but it is seemingly quite unpopular amongst drivers apparently and some are still convinced (or trying to convince themselves) that it won't move over.

Mikey C

Established Member
I would say that that time it has returned, I don't use buses in central London all that much but when I do quite a few of them are very overloaded and reliability then suffers
All the cycle schemes have reduced road capacity for buses in Central London, which doesn't exactly help...

AlbertBeale

Established Member
All the cycle schemes have reduced road capacity for buses in Central London, which doesn't exactly help...
Though not as much as all the unnecessary cars in central London have reduced space for buses... At least the bikes on the roads are being used to move people - a lot of the space wasted on cars has just empty cars parked there for 90% of the time.

Statto

Established Member
Though not as much as all the unnecessary cars in central London have reduced space for buses... At least the bikes on the roads are being used to move people - a lot of the space wasted on cars has just empty cars parked there for 90% of the time.
Some road schemes haven't helped either, like closing to traffic the Southern end of the Aldwych, that could have been kept open for busses.

Notchapple

From conversation today - drivers are a little unsure of what's happening - the general consensus was that it seems pretty certain, indeed a date of 11 December for 329 moving has been floated, but it is seemingly quite unpopular amongst drivers apparently and some are still convinced (or trying to convince themselves) that it won't move over.
Don't changes usually occur on a Saturday?

Edsmith

Lots of locals wouldn't call the previous situation overbussing. Various links no longer exist without extra changes; if you're not very mobile, carrying shopping etc, and have to queue more times in the rain and squeeze onto a crowded bus more times, to make what was once a through journey with adequate provision for busy times, it feels like the current situation is underbussing.
What links will no longer exist? The 1 covers exactly the same route as the 168 from Bricklayers Arms roundabout to Hampstead Heath. The latest stats show usage in Central London still well down on pre pandemic levels.

Don't changes usually occur on a Saturday?
Normally but presumably a route could move garage any day of the week?

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Absolutely, 'overbussing' is a concept devised by those wishing to justify withdrawal of finances from existing bus services, often based on ignorance rather than knowledge. It is ludicrous that you can't travel between Waterloo and Kings Cross stations directly by bus , for instance. On another thread, various people who live in the area defend the current level of bus services between St Albans and Hatfield because they are so well used, whereas planners and/or some detractors on this forum want to divert resources to link places currently unlinked because there is so little demand, it having been tried and failed in the past in some instances.

Normally but presumably a route could move garage any day of the week?
They never do, other than on a Saturday.

MasterSpenny

Absolutely, 'overbussing' is a concept devised by those wishing to justify withdrawal of finances from existing bus services, often based on ignorance rather than knowledge. It is ludicrous that you can't travel between Waterloo and Kings Cross stations directly by bus , for instance. On another thread, various people who live in the area defend the current level of bus services between St Albans and Hatfield because they are so well used, whereas planners and/or some detractors on this forum want to divert resources to link places currently unlinked because there is so little demand, it having been tried and failed in the past in some instances.

They never do, other than on a Saturday.
Then wouldn’t the 329 transfer (if it does happen) be on the 9th December (that day is a Saturday according to my calendar app, as below it states its on the 11th which also from the calendar is a Monday)

Last edited:

BJames

Established Member
Possibly - was just repeating information from drivers which has been floated at the depot. No 100% confirmation on the movement date so hopefully more information soon.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Possibly - was just repeating information from drivers which has been floated at the depot. No 100% confirmation on the movement date so hopefully more information soon.
Sometimes, particularly in this part of North London in recent years, a part allocation on a route can get transferred, and this often relates to the Monday to Friday element only. In such cases, the actual move would take place on a Monday but the official date of the change will be the previous Saturday. It's always Saturdays, used to be Wednesdays up to about sixty years ago! Two of Wood Green, Palmers Green, Tottenham, Edmonton, Stamford Hill and Enfield garages were usually involved.

MasterSpenny

BYD Enviro 200 EV SEe24 has returned to service on route 444 following route 507/521 withdrawal earlier this year (from physical observation)

GoAhead London - Route 444​

Towards - Chingford Station​

FleetRegDestinationDueStop IdStop Name
SEe24LJ66CGGChingford Station19:4348321Empire Parade
SEe33LJ66CHDChingford Station20:2047543Chingford Mount
SEe61LJ67DKDChingford Station20:2647094Turnpike Lane Bus Station
SEe62LJ67DKEChingford Station20:1959047White Hart Lane
SEe158eLB71ECXChingford Station20:1972711York Road

Towards - Turnpike Lane Station​

FleetRegDestinationDueStop IdStop Name
SEe32LJ66CHCTurnpike Lane Station20:1974923Bull Lane/North Middlesex Hospital
SEe120LF20XNCTurnpike Lane Station20:2051026Montagu Road

Vehicles that have also been on the route during the day :-​

FleetRegUsed FromUsed UntilLine
SEe31LJ66CGZ05:1517:20
SEe34LJ66CHF05:4518:30
SEe35LJ66CHG07:0019:10
SEe36LJ66CHH04:1519:20
SEe63LJ67DKF06:3018:30
SEe64LJ67DKK08:0019:30
SEe122LF20XNE00:0000:30
SEe123LF70YWA00:0000:30
SEe125LF70YWC00:0000:45
SEe137eLF70YWR14:1019:20
SEe140LF70YWU07:0011:50
SEe156eLB71ECV00:0001:00

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member

What links will no longer exist? The 1 covers exactly the same route as the 168 from Bricklayers Arms roundabout to Hampstead Heath. The latest stats show usage in Central London still well down on pre pandemic levels.

I was referring to the loss of links, and also the loss of capacity, in the Bloomsbury area and nearby as a result of the various cuts and changes in the last few years - which have made travel slower and harder. That is, I was - obviously, I thought - referring to overall trends. This specific change lowers capacity in the area I'm talking about.

Edsmith

I was referring to the loss of links, and also the loss of capacity, in the Bloomsbury area and nearby as a result of the various cuts and changes in the last few years - which have made travel slower and harder. That is, I was - obviously, I thought - referring to overall trends. This specific change lowers capacity in the area I'm talking about.
At the risk of repeating myself, no significant links have been lost as a result of the 1 replacing the 168 and with the decline in bus usage in Central London what else do you expect to happen?

Edsmith

I saw a 73-plate electric bus between Lewisham and Catford today and wondered if it was on test. No idea what route/make. Presume it was returning to Catford garage (?) unless it had come from New Cross (NX)
Just a guess but possibly one of the new buses due for the 199?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
At the risk of repeating myself, no significant links have been lost as a result of the 1 replacing the 168 and with the decline in bus usage in Central London what else do you expect to happen?

At the risk of repeating myself, I didn't say that that latest change had itself broken links (in that case it "only" reduced capacity). The point is that the accumulation of cuts and changes in the area in the last few years has, overall, broken links and made journeys slower and more difficult. There are times when the local capacity is overloaded and difficult or impossible for vulnerable people to use. What I expect to happen, since you ask, is to have a sufficiently well funded public transport system for everyone to be able to travel easily. If you just naively add up total numbers over a whole day, you can end up with absurd results in extremis like only needing one bus trip per day between a given village and a nearby town - the capacity sums work out, but people can only go to town and can't get back again.

Edsmith

At the risk of repeating myself, I didn't say that that latest change had itself broken links (in that case it "only" reduced capacity). The point is that the accumulation of cuts and changes in the area in the last few years has, overall, broken links and made journeys slower and more difficult. There are times when the local capacity is overloaded and difficult or impossible for vulnerable people to use. What I expect to happen, since you ask, is to have a sufficiently well funded public transport system for everyone to be able to travel easily. If you just naively add up total numbers over a whole day, you can end up with absurd results in extremis like only needing one bus trip per day between a given village and a nearby town - the capacity sums work out, but people can only go to town and can't get back again.
Whichever way you look at it, falling demand is going to mean cuts in services, surely that is obvious?