• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland looking for Conductors and Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisb

Applied, got a no. (Like many applications)
It seems if you live more than 5 minuets from the station/depot its a instant no even if you may feel yo have the correct attributes for the roles.
Frustrating.
Maybe the Wrexham to Shropshire may start back up......;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sammy h

I still haven't heard anything regarding my application for the east midlands trainee driver role....

TDK

Established Member
Applied, got a no. (Like many applications)
It seems if you live more than 5 minuets from the station/depot its a instant no even if you may feel yo have the correct attributes for the roles.
Frustrating.
Maybe the Wrexham to Shropshire may start back up......;)

That is not the reason you got a no, you got a no because the application was not what they were looking for, it is usually 1 hour from the depot with many TOC's

lewisb

That is not the reason you got a no, you got a no because the application was not what they were looking for, it is usually 1 hour from the depot with many TOC's

Yet no question arises on the application form "would you consider relocation?", as if anyone eager enough to enter into the industry would most likely consider it.
Looks like i'll have to wait for ATW!!:cry:

Its a shame TOC's are unable to provide feedback although I understand why with the number of applicants.

Last edited:

Overground

Have to be 21 to apply for the trainee train driver :(

Might go for the conductor vacancy though.

Just a little advice istarted on the railway at 18 as a conductor, done that for just over three years and am now a driver its always good to be a conductor first or a guard to gain experience in the rail environment of shifts, rules and traction although they differ its the underpinning knowledge that helps in the long term. Dont always assume you have to be a driver get a foot in the door !!

TDK

Established Member
Yet no question arises on the application form "would you consider relocation?", as if anyone eager enough to enter into the industry would most likely consider it.
Looks like i'll have to wait for ATW!!:cry:

Its a shame TOC's are unable to provide feedback although I understand why with the number of applicants.

Maybe if you had added on the application form that you would be able to relocate this would be a good pointer for anyone considering you if you are more than an hour from a depot. It's small comments on applications forms like these that can make a World of difference.

I never used to give any feedback from failed application forms due to the volume and my manager told me "the company owes an applicant nothing until they are through the first stage"

Sammy h

Just a little advice istarted on the railway at 18 as a conductor, done that for just over three years and am now a driver its always good to be a conductor first or a guard to gain experience in the rail environment of shifts, rules and traction although they differ its the underpinning knowledge that helps in the long term. Dont always assume you have to be a driver get a foot in the door !!

Thanks overground.

I do already work in the railway, but it is casual weekend work so my foot is ever so slightly in the door, just want a full time job.

Firestarter

I still haven't heard anything regarding my application for the east midlands trainee driver role....

Was East Midlands role internal vacancy only or do mean london Midland 'cause I don't recall seeing East Midlands advertising externally any time in the last two years and i look on the website on a regular basis.

anthony263

Established Member
I had an email earlier today from london midland rejecting me. That said i will keep on looking although i am getting very fed up with being rejected all of the time

TDK

Established Member
I had an email earlier today from london midland rejecting me. That said i will keep on looking although i am getting very fed up with being rejected all of the time

You need to see the reason why you are being rejected, there must be something on there that they don't like.

Eng274

Well, the're advertising for a graduate engineer, but don't provide a starting time, do they want one for this year or next year? (I have emailed them, no response yet)

They've left it seriously late to recruit a graduate engineer! most if not all of this years intake, are now well settled into their tocs - first knew who they were hiring in May!

lewisb

Maybe if you had added on the application form that you would be able to relocate this would be a good pointer for anyone considering you if you are more than an hour from a depot. It's small comments on applications forms like these that can make a World of difference.

I never used to give any feedback from failed application forms due to the volume and my manager told me "the company owes an applicant nothing until they are through the first stage"

Indeed I will try this next time thanks for the advise.
Lewis

jimmy90

Anyone heard back after the first set of online tests (regarding conductor vacancy)?

anthony263

Established Member
Yes, I had an email last night, which i read only an hour ago, telling me that my application wasnt sucessful.

Techie

Anyone heard back after the first set of online tests (regarding conductor vacancy)?

Still nothing here.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after the DSI test? I got nothing. I suppose that with so many people being rejected, no news is probably good news at this point.

jimmy90

Still nothing here.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after the DSI test? I got nothing. I suppose that with so many people being rejected, no news is probably good news at this point.

Same here. But I did notice that it said 'Due to the high volumes of applications we would strongly advise you to complete this test within the next three days. If you do not complete the test by 5pm on Monday 13 October, we will assume that you have withdrawn your application and no longer wish to be considered for the position.'

Strangely enough, there wasn't such a date. Maybe they meant thursday. Anyway maybe candidates will start hearing back after the weekend.

Nym

Established Member
Well, I can safely say that LM don't reply to emails and oviously aren't intrested in actually employing a Graduate Engineer.

Considering they didn't even post up a start date on their website, most can't apply simply because they don't know if it's for now, or next June (When most companies are now recruiting for)

Overview of the Engineering Graduate - Trainee Role

London Midland is keen to develop Engineers who can provide a positive contribution to our business with their technical competence and inter-personal skills. Our large fleet of rail vehicles must be expertly maintained and fit for use – whether working on vehicle design, specification, procurement, operational and engineering safety or with risk based maintenance regimes, Engineers are involved at every stage of the process.

The successful candidate will follow the Association of Train Operating Companies’ Accredited Professional Engineering Development Scheme – a mentored quality scheme recognised by IMechE and IET - leading to Chartered Engineer status. The initial 1 year training programme comprises a number of internal and external placements and projects relevant to rail traction and rolling stock engineering and is intended to lead into a suitable leadership role within London Midland Engineering.

Applicants should be Graduate Engineers with a MEng or BEng degree accredited by the IMechE or IET.

And by the looks of things they don't know how to train somone in a manner that is accredited by the IMechE or IET, it takes four years to train a graduate engineer, not one.

Also, the're not accredited by the IET (I can't speak for the IMechE as I'm not a member) to train graduates.

If they think it's a 1 year course to become a Chartered Engineer, they'll be sorry when they realise that it takes 3 years with a no further learning pathway, or 5 years on an FLR pathway course.

ATOC Being registered as 0755 for CEng and IEng registration Electrical Engineering with the IET.

Don't know if this link will work or not... http://www.theiet.org/careers/accreditation/employer/index.cfm

Last edited:

Tubeboy

I received an email this afternoon thanking me for doing the driver's online test, and that they will get back to me in due course.

bob hope

Hi all,

Has anyone heard any more from London Midland recruitment following the online Dependability and Safety Instrument Test?

Took mine last monday 10th and not heard back from them yet.

Cheers guys.

Techie

Hi all,

Has anyone heard any more from London Midland recruitment following the online Dependability and Safety Instrument Test?

Took mine last monday 10th and not heard back from them yet.

Cheers guys.

Yup.

Got an email a couple of days ago, inviting me to the assessment day.

bob hope

45th November?

Blimey that's a long month - my wages will never last that long.

:D

Eng274

I didn't know London midland called at Neptune (where the 45th of November could be a legitimate date if the gregorian calendar was stretched over 164.79 years)

I shudder to think how much a 1st class open return from London would cost..

Tank

I received an email this afternoon thanking me for doing the driver's online test, and that they will get back to me in due course.

I got this email back aswell, last week. So hopefully all is not lost, but I'm not expecting another response until after the first lot of assesments/interviews early November.

Good luck to all those who are attending the assesment on 4th November.

Tubeboy

Got an email late last week saying I was unsuccessful re the online test. They said they well may have vacancies next year, and will contact me then. Not a big problem, as I have a couple of choices career wise to choose from. Plus I have just heard that TFL are recruiting train operators again, internal vacancy only folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.