• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Night Tube is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sensible to trial it on just the two lines. I'd still like to know, though, whether this is officially a trial or whether it is already considered to be a permanent operation, albeit it on just two nights of the week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Sensible to trial it on just the two lines. I'd still like to know, though, whether this is officially a trial or whether it is already considered to be a permanent operation, albeit it on just two nights of the week.
Definitely not a trial, not sure there has even been talk of a trial?

From what I hear, there already talks of extending it to Thursday nights as well but that is canteen gossip.

Daniel

Established Member
From what I hear, there already talks of extending it to Thursday nights as well but that is canteen gossip.

I haven't heard that myself, but it's certainly not the case. As it stands even Friday & Saturday night working hasn't been agreed fully...

freetoview33

Established Member
I presume T4 would be no more as well?

I guess it will be something like this.

Heathrow East (T2)
Heathrow West (T5)
Heathrow South (T4)
Heathrow North (T6)

Guessing T6 will be a continuation of the T5 spur, this would make life much simpler.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member

When originally mooted, a trial period was definitely mentioned, but whether this was loose talk by a politician or the official TfL position I've not been able to discover.

Mikey C

Established Member

While Thursday nights might socially be part of the weekend, I'm not sure it would look good for TfL to be encouraging late night drinking on what is still a "school night" :lol:

pitdiver

For many of us Saturday and Sunday are working days so can't really enjoy ourselves on any night when the "Night Tube" runs. So therefore I still get extremely annoyed when someone from the Monday to Friday 9to5 brigade wishes me a "Good Weekend" on a Friday evening.

MrB

The sub-surface Lines will follow once the upgrades are progressing with re-signalling and ATC.

It has also been proposed that the London Overground (well parts of it) and the DLR will join the Night Tube network in 2017 and 2021 respectively.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
For many of us Saturday and Sunday are working days so can't really enjoy ourselves on any night when the "Night Tube" runs. So therefore I still get extremely annoyed when someone from the Monday to Friday 9to5 brigade wishes me a "Good Weekend" on a Friday evening.

Get over yourself, the vast majority work M-F "9 to 5" or thereabouts (or are at school/college/university M-F)

Dstock7080

Established Member
I wonder when the first Night Tube rail replacement buses will operate ?
The only planned alterations of either the Central or Victoria Lines (into 2017) will be Friday-Sunday 2-4 December engineering works at Victoria:
Night Tube services will not stop at Victoria station 00.45-05.10 Fri night/Sat and 00.45-06.35 Sat night/Sun

and Saturday-Sunday 17-18 December 2016, engineering works at Victoria:
Night Tube services will not stop at Victoria 00.45-06.35 Sat night/Sun

The Northern Line has work on the Edgware branch at the end of August and Archway-Mill Hill/Barnet on 17-18 September; the Picccadilly on the Rayners Lane branch in September and early-mid October; these wouldn't affect the running of Night Tube.

Last edited:

gavin

After delays and strikes, the night tube is finally here with the first 2 lines (Central and Victoria) starting tonight the Jubilee, Piccadilly and Northern lines will follow in the autumn.

The Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines could also go 24 hours once modernisation is complete

infobleep

Veteran Member
After delays and strikes, the night tube is finally here with the first 2 lines (Central and Victoria) starting tonight the Jubilee, Piccadilly and Northern lines will follow in the autumn.

The Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines could also go 24 hours once modernisation is complete
This is really great if you live in London or have a train service out of London that is 24 hour or near enough 24 hour.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jrhilton

Out of interest what sort of interval is there going to be between services on average and will it be consistent throughout the night?

I'm still on the fence on this one though, yes it will be useful for some many but there is already a good night bus network. I hope maintenance will not suffer in the long run and feel for people living near or above lines that will suffer from additional noise through the night.

I would also like to think that staff who now have to work at night are being compensated very well for it, but I fear this may not be the case.

It will be interesting to see any usage figures over the coming months.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Given the level of promotion and the fact it's still tourist season, I am sure it will do just fine.. and then it will be the run up to Christmas .. and, well, it's going to be popular all the time IMO.

I believe the service intervals are quite long, but I assume there's already a plan to increase the frequency if demand requires it?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Out of interest what sort of interval is there going to be between services on average and will it be consistent throughout the night?
Central Line:
- every 20mins Ealing Broadway-Hainault via Newbury Pk
- every 20mins White City-Loughton
combines to provide every 10mins White City-Leytonstone. (requires 14 trains)
Victoria Line:
- every 10mins throughout the Line (requires 8 trains)

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
I'm still on the fence on this one though, yes it will be useful for some many but there is already a good night bus network.
There is indeed, but that shows how much demand there is for late-night travel in London.

When the N29 route started it required just one bus to operate it. Now it requires 37 buses and runs 18 buses per hour (every 3-4 minutes) at the weekend. With the Night Tube, many of those passengers will have much faster journeys.

It also means new night bus connections are being created to serve the new Night Tube. For example; routes W3 and W7 will now run 24-hours over the weekend, feeding into the Night Tube at Finsbury Park

I hope maintenance will not suffer in the long run and feel for people living near or above lines that will suffer from additional noise through the night.
I can't see it making that much difference (certainly not on the Victoria line!); with trains always arriving into depots well after 01:00 and leaving before 05:00 - plus engineers' trains overnight, etc

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Bonne chance to all associated with the Night Tube - I hope it works out well, on the whole.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There is indeed, but that shows how much demand there is for late-night travel in London.

When the N29 route started it required just one bus to operate it. Now it requires 37 buses and runs 18 buses per hour (every 3-4 minutes) at the weekend. With the Night Tube, many of those passengers will have much faster journeys.

It also means new night bus connections are being created to serve the new Night Tube. For example; routes W3 and W7 will now run 24-hours over the weekend, feeding into the Night Tube at Finsbury Park

I can't see it making that much difference (certainly not on the Victoria line!); with trains always arriving into depots well after 01:00 and leaving before 05:00 - plus engineers' trains overnight, etc
I wonder if they will be able to cut the number if night buses, now that people can use the tube?

The London Mayor said it was good for people who do shift work. It well be providing they are working on the nights it runs.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The BBC News just said it would be great for nurses and they mentioned other jobs as well.

Yes it will be great but let's have some proportion. It's only running on Friday and Saturday night so it's only good for nurses whose shifts end of start on Friday into Saturday and Saturday into Sunday. For the other 5 days of the wee it's of no benefit. Any benefit is of course better than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.