• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Night Tube is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

The TFL have this morning published the official map for the night tube which starts this September

NightTubebig1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Be3G

Established Member
This is actually the official one, not the one gavin posted. Note that gavin's doesn't include the Loughton ‘spur’.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
A tad precipitate in view of the present uncertainty?

Its called PR. The more they promote it and people expect it, the more the union's objections will seem like disruptive tactics rather than genuine concerns.

backontrack

Established Member
This gives us the only direct services between High Barnet and the West End, and between the West End and south of Kennington.

Muzer

Established Member
This gives us the only direct services between High Barnet and the West End, and between the West End and south of Kennington.
No, those occur at various points in the peaks/off-peaks at the moment, I believe...

LeeLivery

Established Member
This was released last year. The actual one released yesterday I found a bit strange as it omits NR interchanges at St Pancras, Kentish Town, West Hampstead and Victoria.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The Thameslink interchanges maybe should be shown- with an asterisk for St Pancras to point out that it is only TL- no Kings Cross services, no SE, no EMT, no Eurostar- but Victoria? What services leave/depart Victoria outside "normal" tube hours?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
What services leave/depart Victoria outside "normal" tube hours?

There's an hourly service to Three Bridges all night, plus there are some late-night stoppers between 0000 and 0100 to places such as Gillingham, Dartford, Sutton and Croydon, and I think that Gatwick Express is almost 24 hours.

I must admit the Northern line looks rather odd without the Bank branch!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, those occur at various points in the peaks/off-peaks at the moment, I believe...

Yes. It's pretty much every other train from the High Barnet branch that goes via the West End. In the morning peak all Northbound West End trains go to the Barnet branch.

telstarbox

Established Member
The Thameslink interchanges maybe should be shown- with an asterisk for St Pancras to point out that it is only TL- no Kings Cross services, no SE, no EMT, no Eurostar- but Victoria? What services leave/depart Victoria outside "normal" tube hours?

Perhaps with the Thameslink works the NR service will be on and off from weekend to weekend, so it's better to leave it out altogether rather than confusing passengers. NR services will still show up in the journey planner.

AIUI the overnights from Victoria to Three Bridges are already well used.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes. It's pretty much every other train from the High Barnet branch that goes via the West End. In the morning peak all Northbound West End trains go to the Barnet branch.

I think the poster was specifically referring to High Barnet, rather than the Barnet branch i.e. not Mill Hill East or any 'shorts' so maybe he has a point?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This was released last year. The actual one released yesterday I found a bit strange as it omits NR interchanges at St Pancras, Kentish Town, West Hampstead and Victoria.

It could be said to be misleading to imply that you can get off a tube at 3 a.m. at Victoria and catch a NR service! In fact, I'd call it downright misleading:lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
As has been circulating a bit, here's the new map designed for viewing at 4am...

11164758_10152788105631511_2772346336501857791_o.jpg

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think the poster was specifically referring to High Barnet, rather than the Barnet branch i.e. not Mill Hill East or any 'shorts' so maybe he has a point?

I don't follow. Pretty much every other train on the West End branch goes to High Barnet, it's only a very small number as a percentage that go to Mill Hill East or terminate short.

LeeLivery

Established Member
It could be said to be misleading to imply that you can get off a tube at 3 a.m. at Victoria and catch a NR service! In fact, I'd call it downright misleading:lol:

Well is it? It allows people to get to Clapham Junction, Selhurst, East Croydon, Purley, Horley, Gatwick and Three Bridges all night. That's not misleading at all. Just make an asterisk and stay their favourite phase check before you travel
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Perhaps with the Thameslink works the NR service will be on and off from weekend to weekend, so it's better to leave it out altogether rather than confusing passengers. NR services will still show up in the journey planner.

They're not enough people who know about it. There is not one poster by Southern/Thameslink saying trains are 24hr. Its not included on the maps or anywhere apart from the timetable (which not many people even look at). People in Croydon and Purley have seriously been staying they have to get night buses, whining that Southern/Overground/Thameslink is not 24 hours from London, when that clearly isn't the case.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't follow. Pretty much every other train on the West End branch goes to High Barnet, it's only a very small number as a percentage that go to Mill Hill East or terminate short.

Sorry, I didn't have the timetable to hand - maybe the poster was referring wryly to the proposal that all Barnet branch trains in future will go onto the Bank branch post-Battersea and is getting his protest in early.:)

ashworth

Established Member

I don't even live in the London area but having stayed about half a dozen times in a hotel near East Croydon station I know that there is a 24hr service from Victoria.
Certainly on the occasions when I have used the 2am train from Victoria it has been very full with very few spare seats when leaving Victoria and many more people boarding at Clapham Junction. I cant remember whether it was an 8 or 12 coach train but I know I had to walk some distance down the platform at Victoria to find any empty seats.

gnolife

Established Member
Sorry, I didn't have the timetable to hand - maybe the poster was referring wryly to the proposal that all Barnet branch trains in future will go onto the Bank branch post-Battersea and is getting his protest in early.:)
At that point, would the junction at Camden Town be removed, and if it is, what impact will that have on the night services?

TheNewNo2

At that point, would the junction at Camden Town be removed, and if it is, what impact will that have on the night services?

It might end up with the "Southern" line operating at night too. That or I think there are turnbacks at King's Cross or Moorgate.

backontrack

Established Member

Yes, that was definitely what I meant. Without doubt. :lol:

But they obviously will.

Are there not any overnight services on the Great Northern, then? Do they all run to Moorgate?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are there not any overnight services on the Great Northern, then? Do they all run to Moorgate?
The last service from Moorgate is 2303. There is no service at all (yet) on weekends.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
First GN train is the 0522 to Peterborough- 0638 to Cambridge on Sunday morning. Last is the 0135 to Peterborough- 0056 to Letchworth on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. Arrivals into Kings Cross, 0453 (from Welwyn), 0722 on Sunday.

Muzer

Established Member
I suspect they'll leave the connections at Camden, as all tube lines are connected together (presumably for engineering trains), except the Waterloo and City. It would also provide flexibility during engineering works.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

As I understand it, it wouldn't be removed but accessibility from the 'wrong' line would not be possible without some sort of override, probably in triplicate! As you may gather I'm not very technically minded! I don't think the points would be 'locked out of use' though as stock might have to transfer from Golders Green depot on one line to Morden on the other and vice versa and emergency provision is also important. Night services I'm not sure about, but it's probably one reason why many in London Underground are reportedly lukewarm at best about these services.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think the points would be 'locked out of use' though as stock might have to transfer from Golders Green depot on one line to Morden on the other and vice versa and emergency provision is also important.
Although don't forget there's also the connection at Kennington.

backontrack

Established Member
It's strange that, despite all the outer stations being served, there aren't that many routes through the main centre of London.

Stratford does quite well, still has two different links to Bond Street.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's strange that, despite all the outer stations being served, there aren't that many routes through the main centre of London.

Stratford does quite well, still has two different links to Bond Street.

That's because the sub-surface routes (Met, District, H&C, Circle) are ruled out for the time being. I'm not sure why the Bakerloo is not included, at least as far as Queen's Park: onwards from there be dragons, in the shape of NR.

Status
Not open for further replies.