• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
In the main yes, E ciggies are allowed but it depends on which train company your travelling on, EC does allow it subject to no complaints from other passengers, however i know Northern does not permit there use, no idea about FCC
On another note a new menu starts Monday 13th.
Really? I'm travelling on the 13th, so I'm not going to be getting what I thought I was then. Any ideas what's on the new menus?
I doubt it. There's more than a few who'd rather see a return of the previous arrangements...
I think he meant the "free" food being replaced with something worse or nothing.

HST Power

Established Member
In the main yes, E ciggies are allowed but it depends on which train company your travelling on, EC does allow it subject to no complaints from other passengers, however i know Northern does not permit there use, no idea about FCC
On another note a new menu starts Monday 13th.

Thanks for the clarification. I doubt FCC even care, so long as they get their money!

I think he meant the "free" food being replaced with something worse or nothing.

Yes I did.

westv

Established Member
If whatever happens on the 13th is a retrograde step why is there nothing about it on the EC website?

calc7

Established Member
Really? I'm travelling on the 13th, so I'm not going to be getting what I thought I was then. Any ideas what's on the new menus?

I don't think you can ever bet on getting what you should expect, anyway ;)

DeeGee

I realise that there's nothing swanky in first class of a weekend, but is there a weekend first upgrade available? I'm thinking of travelling to NCL for the Great North Run, and it has a tendency to be quite Standing Room Only on the way back. It's difficult to predict the return time due to waiting around in South Shields, so an advance isn't really an option.

HST Power

Established Member
I realise that there's nothing swanky in first class of a weekend, but is there a weekend first upgrade available? I'm thinking of travelling to NCL for the Great North Run, and it has a tendency to be quite Standing Room Only on the way back. It's difficult to predict the return time due to waiting around in South Shields, so an advance isn't really an option.

This should be useful.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/travel-information/ticket-options1/weekend-upgrades1/

DeeGee

East Coast said:
Valid Standard tickets include Advance, Super Off-Peak, Off-Peak and Anytime tickets, Rail Rovers, and BritRail tickets. You must purchase a supplement on the train (for that train only) subject to available space in First Class. Please note that Weekend First cannot be booked in advance. Weekend First is only available on East Coast services

Advance!? Now, that is interesting!

ModernRailways

Established Member
Advance!? Now, that is interesting!

You can upgrade on an advance ticket, it's about £15/£20/£25 depending on journey. Although on a weekend it would only be useful if you have a load of loud mouthed football fans (or other sports fans) and/or babies/kids/teenagers talking/crying.

I've upgraded once since a load of football fans got on with loads of alcohol, they were shouting at each other and since I am 17 (15 at the time) I thought it would be best to go into First Class for £25, was totally different to Standard. It was nice, quiet and the First Class host came straight over to me to ask if I wanted anything. You wouldn't have thought it was the same train.

westv

Established Member
A bit off topic (sorry) but is the rewards section of the EC site down for anybody else?

thetangoman

My wife and I travelled 1st class on the 1st of May to London from Edinburgh on the 0930 and returned on the 1300 the following day. Thought the service was great, got plenty tea & coffee, the meal was lovely (Fish Pie) and 3 rounds of cold drinks (I had cider). On the return trip the only complaint I have is that it was the same menu so this time we just took the sandwiches which were good. This time got 4 rounds of cold drinks. Overall I would say I thoroughly enjoyed my 1st 1st class journey and would definitely do it again.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I must inform you that at the start of next week i will be preparing myself for a dangerous mission behind enemy lines. Next Sunday evening i will leave Edinburgh on the 17:00 East Coast service to Northallerton. I will travel capitalist oppressor pig dog class. It will allow me to understand the mind of the enemy more closely.

In order to assuage some of my shame and guilt i feel for traveling amongst those who hold the common man under the yoke of oppression i intend to gorge myself on the refreshments of the bourgeoisie.

To that end can anyone explain what freebies can i expect on such a service? Remember it is for the greater good that i sacrifice myself in pursuit of this reconnaissance and i take no pleasure in it comrades!

ModernRailways

Established Member
This is what you will be given since it's a weekend. You can also find out here. The weekends are terrible compared to a weekday!

Chicken, sage and onion or
egg, watercress and mayonnaise (v) sandwiches
served with hand cooked crisps
-

Biscuits
Lily O’Brien double chocolate chip
or dark chocolate and stem ginger (v)

Drinks
A selection of drinks are available to
accompany your food.

Please choose from the following options...

Your choice of Fairtrade breakfast tea
or freshly ground Fairtrade coffee,
including decaffeinated
Hampstead Fairtrade speciality infusions –
peppermint, camomile and green tea
Fairtrade hot chocolate
Orange juice or apple juice
Harrogate still or sparkling water
Coke or Diet Coke

Complimentary alcoholic drinks are served to First Class customers aged
over 18. We may have to substitute or alter some items on the menu at
short notice, we apologise if your first choice is not available.
Our food may contain nuts, dairy, seeds and/or spices. Fish or poultry may contain small bones.
This menu does not list every specific ingredient. If you suffer from an allergy,
please ask a team member before you order.
(v) Vegetarian (GF) Gluten Free​

philjo

Established Member
I noticed that the new printed EC timetable shows a light grey shading to indicate the services which receive the Afternoon tea service.

Interesting to see that the 16:01 stopper from York to Kings Cross is all day menu but the 4 trains from Newcastle/Edinburgh during the hour before/afterwards are afternoon tea service at that point.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I thought the menu usually changed to coincide with the release of the new timetables? Earlier someone said the menu was due to change on the 13th, but the new timetable isn't out until the 19th?

This is what you will be given since it's a weekend. You can also find out here. The weekends are terrible compared to a weekday!

Chicken, sage and onion or
egg, watercress and mayonnaise (v) sandwiches
served with hand cooked crisps
-

Biscuits
Lily O’Brien double chocolate chip
or dark chocolate and stem ginger (v)

Drinks
A selection of drinks are available to
accompany your food.

Please choose from the following options...

Your choice of Fairtrade breakfast tea
or freshly ground Fairtrade coffee,
including decaffeinated
Hampstead Fairtrade speciality infusions –
peppermint, camomile and green tea
Fairtrade hot chocolate
Orange juice or apple juice
Harrogate still or sparkling water
Coke or Diet Coke

Complimentary alcoholic drinks are served to First Class customers aged
over 18. We may have to substitute or alter some items on the menu at
short notice, we apologise if your first choice is not available.
Our food may contain nuts, dairy, seeds and/or spices. Fish or poultry may contain small bones.
This menu does not list every specific ingredient. If you suffer from an allergy,
please ask a team member before you order.
(v) Vegetarian (GF) Gluten Free​

One doesn't get alcoholic drinks at the weekend though do you?

ModernRailways

Established Member
I thought the menu usually changed to coincide with the release of the new timetables? Earlier someone said the menu was due to change on the 13th, but the new timetable isn't out until the 19th?

One doesn't get alcoholic drinks at the weekend though do you?

So did I, but it appears they have already been changed, I remember Fish and Chips was on their a few weeks back for one of the evening meals, it's gone now.

Nope, no alcohol! You are allowed however to go to cafebar and flashing your first class ticket can sometimes get you it for free, and if not I believe it is discounted.

Butts

Veteran Member
I must inform you that at the start of next week i will be preparing myself for a dangerous mission behind enemy lines. Next Sunday evening i will leave Edinburgh on the 17:00 East Coast service to Northallerton. I will travel capitalist oppressor pig dog class. It will allow me to understand the mind of the enemy more closely.

In order to assuage some of my shame and guilt i feel for traveling amongst those who hold the common man under the yoke of oppression i intend to gorge myself on the refreshments of the bourgeoisie.

To that end can anyone explain what freebies can i expect on such a service? Remember it is for the greater good that i sacrifice myself in pursuit of this reconnaissance and i take no pleasure in it comrades!

Sellout......:lol:

As you are travelling on a Sunday most of the "capitalist oppressor pig dog class" will be absent.

It will be full of "fellow proles" on Advance Tickets or Upgrades.

You won't even be able to drown your sorrows (free of charge at least :p) as one has to pay for the ale. Also the scran is not as good - the caviar and oysters are not available to "weekend plebs" :p

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sellout......:lol:

As you are travelling on a Sunday most of the "capitalist oppressor pig dog class" will be absent.

It will be full of "fellow proles" on Advance Tickets or Upgrades.

You won't even be able to drown your sorrows (free of charge at least :p) as one has to pay for the ale. Also the scran is not as good - the caviar and oysters are not available to "weekend plebs" :p

Typical of the effete bourgeoisie, taking the fruits of the honest mans labour and keeping them all for their enjoyment!

Anyway it is the free wifi i really want ;) (would a few verses of The Internationale be appropriate?)

Butts

Veteran Member
Typical of the effete bourgeoisie, taking the fruits of the honest mans labour and keeping them all for their enjoyment!

Anyway it is the free wifi i really want ;) (would a few verses of The Internationale be appropriate?)

Regarding free wifi - you are unable to access the "more colourful" sites <D

Perhaps if your service calls at Darlington you can hop off and pick up a few bevvies from Hogans :p

HST Power

Established Member

It has been said in this thread before that if you stand in the Kitchen Coach* you should be able to pickup the free Wi-Fi signal from the First Class carriages. So if the thought of leaving Standard and becoming a class traitor is too much to bear (awesome pun there ;)) just book yourself into that coach. I'm pretty sure it works.

*Kitchen Coach, catering car.....what do we call it these days?