• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

marks87

Established Member
It has been said in this thread before that if you stand in the Kitchen Coach* you should be able to pickup the free Wi-Fi signal from the First Class carriages. So if the thought of leaving Standard and becoming a class traitor is too much to bear (awesome pun there ;)) just book yourself into that coach. I'm pretty sure it works.

*Kitchen Coach, catering car.....what do we call it these days?
Only works on 225s. In HSTs, the former restaurants are used for 1st class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
Out of interest does anyone know what Menu Rotation it will be next Wednesday (15th May). I have trip from Newcastle to London and return and was wondering what I will be getting as I'm a rather fussy eater :P

Trains will be the 0703 Flying Scotsman service NCL - KGX.
And the 2000 KGX - NCL.

38Cto15E

Today I received £67.90 worth of rail travel vouchers following my heavily delayed trip on the Chieftain last month, so all ready to book again. :)

Are there any updates on the availability of cooked breakfasts on the 0755 Inverness-Kings Cross and 0752 Aberdeen-Kings Cross, wasn't there an issue with the HST fridges because the breakfasts are loaded at Waverley the evening before?
TIA

Bungle73

On Moderation
So, does anyone have any idea what's on the new menu, specifically for next week?

Interesting to see that the 16:01 stopper from York to Kings Cross is all day menu
Yeah, I've been on that a couple of times and can confirm that it's (as far as I know) always been the case.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Today I received £67.90 worth of rail travel vouchers following my heavily delayed trip on the Chieftain last month, so all ready to book again. :)

Are there any updates on the availability of cooked breakfasts on the 0755 Inverness-Kings Cross and 0752 Aberdeen-Kings Cross, wasn't there an issue with the HST fridges because the breakfasts are loaded at Waverley the evening before?
TIA

all depends on which set. The X EMT one has both generally reliable fridges and IC70 Seating but very unusual for it to get this far north and if it does more likely ABD than INV.

So, does anyone have any idea what's on the new menu, specifically for next week?

Assuming your on a all day menu train (?), the hot options will be Indian style chicken with mango chutney and a nann bread or Spinach and ricotta cannelloni with salad and bread roll. The sarnies will be BLT or Cheese and pickled onion.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Assuming your on a all day menu train (?), the hot options will be Indian style chicken with mango chutney and a nann bread or Spinach and ricotta cannelloni with salad and bread roll. The sarnies will be BLT or Cheese and pickled onion.

Thanks.

Sounds nice, I think. Yes I'm on an All-Day Menu train - at least going - the 13:00 from KGX. Coming back I'm on one of the infamous Afternoon Tea trains though, the 14:00 from EDB.

At least you can avoid the afternoon tea trains now as at last EC have listed them on the timetable. I do remember some nice sweet things been on the new a.tea menus though, but it is still cold food only.

Anyone travelling on a weekend in the morning, yogurts, and a selection of pastries will now be offered which is an improvement on the current offer but still no hot food.
During the week smoked salmon will be back on and bacon sarnies will be served in rolls instead of sliced bloomer.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
wonder if anyones warned staff at Burger Kings along the ECML to expect a rush when they start serving Afternoon tea?
Also wondering if the northbound Inverness is still serving it? Personally I know as much about Catering as some on herd know about insurance for mobile DJ's but I can tell you streight off that serving scones etc on a one end of the country to another type service which used to serve dinner after EDB in GNER days is a bad idea!

Aldaniti

I'll be using the Inverness train next week and given the menu described a few posts ago, will make sure I take my own food on board. Thanks for the warning.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'll be using the Inverness train next week and given the menu described a few posts ago, will make sure I take my own food on board. Thanks for the warning.

Well at least you will be ok for drinks as there is a wide variety of Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Tipples free of charge. If you accept every coffee or tea they offer you'll be in the WC for half the journey :lol:

In addition if you do not like "the menu" sundry items such as crisps and biscuits and fruit should be available.

Aldaniti

Well at least you will be ok for drinks as there is a wide variety of Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Tipples free of charge. If you accept every coffee or tea they offer you'll be in the WC for half the journey :lol:

In addition if you do not like "the menu" sundry items such as crisps and biscuits and fruit should be available.

Thanks Butts. The drinks and snacks will be fine for me, might pick up a West Cornwall pasty at York before joining. Travelling on a rewards ticket so even without the drinks and snacks its a cracking deal! We all have different tastes and personally I would like to see regional English and Scottish dishes reflected better on East Coast. Clootie dumpling and a glass of something appropriate would go down a treat on the Highland Main Line!

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks Butts. The drinks and snacks will be fine for me, might pick up a West Cornwall pasty at York before joining. Travelling on a rewards ticket so even without the drinks and snacks its a cracking deal! We all have different tastes and personally I would like to see regional English and Scottish dishes reflected better on East Coast. Clootie dumpling and a glass of something appropriate would go down a treat on the Highland Main Line!

If you are boarding the HC at York there should be "trolley runs" Ex York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and sometimes Perth as well.

With regard to "Regional Catering" unfortunately an unlikely prospect, they struggle to provide the advertised service on occasions without complicating matters further.

Undoubtedly the highlight of your trip will be as the Highland Chieftain pulls into the Grand Metropolis of Falkirk and it's Grahamston Station. Wonder at the architecture of which you will only be subjected to a fleeting glance.:lol:

Aldaniti

If you are boarding the HC at York there should be "trolley runs" Ex York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and sometimes Perth as well.

With regard to "Regional Catering" unfortunately an unlikely prospect, they struggle to provide the advertised service on occasions without complicating matters further.

Undoubtedly the highlight of your trip will be as the Highland Chieftain pulls into the Grand Metropolis of Falkirk and it's Grahamston Station. Wonder at the architecture of which you will only be subjected to a fleeting glance.:lol:

I'll keep my eyes peeled! Thanks again for the tips!

clc

Established Member
I took the 18.30 from Waverley to Berwick recently and was served a hot meal even though it was a short journey. Was also offered tea/coffee, alcohol & snacks. I paid £16 for a single (from Glasgow to Berwick) including £2.50 to upgrade to 1st class so I was well pleased.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
this post is coming to you live form a first class carriage somewhere in the north of england. So far i have had one round of sandwhiches (Chicken & stuffing -quite nice) one cup of tea, one glass of orange juice, a mini cake and a packet of crisps

EDIT - second run taken place so i now have some sandwhiches for my tea!

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
EC have got the new menus on their website now, along with dates for each rotation. Very useful. :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I really dont know what issue most of you seme to have with the East Coast First Class service. It was fantastic yeaterday.

The food was nice, it was free, the service was good, the seats were comfortbale and the staff were great.

You can see above what food i was offered. Compare it to travelling in cattle class whereby the same food would have cost you somewhere in the region of £8 for an inferior offering.

I am now of the opinion that most of you are a bunch if whining moaners who dont know they are born.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think most of the moans are due to inconsistancies in service delivery or non availabilitty. What you got yesturday was I think as per the staff handbook which for a Sunday is great! I woant argue though that some are after too much!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd agree with the above, you got what you're supposed to get and if it had been me I wouldn't have had any complaints. It's the inconsistencies that are my main issue. One weekend I've travelled and the service was as you described leaving me a very happy/satisfied customer, another weekend I've travelled and there was one run of hot drinks and nothing else at all leaving me not so satisfied (and East Coast agreed that the service received was not acceptable by the by).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why dont you ask the staff to do what they are supposed to do? Unless there is no food or drink to be had i cant work out why they wouldnt give you some if you asked

Bungle73

On Moderation
On the 13:00 KGX to EDB ATM. Just had the Indian-style chicken. Very nice. An adequate sized piece of chicken breast, salad leaves, two pieces of naan bread and a pot of mango chutney. Lovely :D

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's something new. I just got asked how my meal was. Never had that before. :)

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I really dont know what issue most of you seme to have with the East Coast First Class service. It was fantastic yeaterday.

The food was nice, it was free, the service was good, the seats were comfortbale and the staff were great.

You can see above what food i was offered. Compare it to travelling in cattle class whereby the same food would have cost you somewhere in the region of £8 for an inferior offering.

I am now of the opinion that most of you are a bunch if whining moaners who dont know they are born.

Have you sold out now then ? - will the temptation be to much to resist on a future occasion :lol:

I can see you now with a few complimentary East Coast Scotches down your neck joining with your fellow travellers in the condemnation of "benefit junkies" and "the idle poor" <D

sheff1

Established Member
Nothing wrong with holding a minority view. Everything wrong with saying that because the majority view is not your view then the majority are automatically whining moaners.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Nothing wrong with holding a minority view. Everything wrong with saying that because the majority view is not your view then the majority are automatically whining moaners.

there are 266 pages of this thread and a good 264 are about how terrible the service is. It sounds like moaning to me.

Simple solution. If you dont like your first class freebies come in cattle class with the rest of us and pay £8-10 for an inferior offering. (note the word pay)

sheff1

Established Member
Well, if you had read the posts properly you would be aware that many people prefer to pay for a reliable service rather than take pot luck with 'freebies'.

Simple indeed.