• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

But what I don't see is how throwing away the current system and going over to the pay on demand system is going to fix that issue.
The current system means everyone eats because there is no incentive to decline and you don't want to miss out. In a pay-on-demand system only those who actually want/need to eat make an order, reducing demand and relieving pressure on staff..

Plus, in pay-on-demand there is an incentive for East Cost to improve consistency/quality because the income stream depends on it. At the moment quality makes no difference to income, hence the small portions and odd customer service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
a fact born out by the absense of food from my northbound train from NCL today, booked specially to take advantage of a late lunch. It was £11 more than STD and I still ended up
paying
for a hot Panini and a cake at the bar. the old system would have allowed me to decide to pay or not but the new one didnt give me that option as it promised a bite to eat which I was banking on as woant be home till after 10.↲ they woant win customers into First that way and, judging by the loadings and the resigned atitude of the few remaining this happens a lot!↲

ModernRailways

Established Member
The current system means everyone eats because there is no incentive to decline and you don't want to miss out. In a pay-on-demand system only those who actually want/need to eat make an order, reducing demand and relieving pressure on staff..

Plus, in pay-on-demand there is an incentive for East Cost to improve consistency/quality because the income stream depends on it. At the moment quality makes no difference to income, hence the small portions and odd customer service.

I've been on many trains where people have declined the food and that's just in my carriage. When people refuse the staff usually say 'Okay, that's fine. Would you like any sandwiches, crisps, biscuits? If they say 'Yes' then the staff always make sure they are the first to be offered a sandwich.

A lot of people now wouldn't bother, I wouldn't. Not when I can go to McDonalds or a restaurant and get a take-out meal. Most restaurants have started offering this and it's really quite good.

East Coast small portions fill me. Then again, I always have a packet of crisps, then hot food, then crisps/shortbread, and then a hot chocolate just after York because it's their last run on the trolley. I'm always very full after eating on East Coast.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
a fact born out by the absense of food from my northbound train from NCL today, booked specially to take advantage of a late lunch. It was £11 more than STD and I still ended up
paying
for a hot Panini and a cake at the bar. the old system would have allowed me to decide to pay or not but the new one didnt give me that option as it promised a bite to eat which I was banking on as woant be home till after 10.↲ they woant win customers into First that way and, judging by the loadings and the resigned atitude of the few remaining this happens a lot!↲

It wasn't promising you a bite to eat? It says in the menu that items won't always be available.

I'm sure a nice polite email to East Coast just making them aware may see you refunded for the price of the Panini, or some travel vouchers for £5 or so.

Aberdonian

I've been on many trains where people have declined the food and that's just in my carriage. When people refuse the staff usually say 'Okay, that's fine. Would you like any sandwiches, crisps, biscuits? If they say 'Yes' then the staff always make sure they are the first to be offered a sandwich.

A lot of people now wouldn't bother, I wouldn't. Not when I can go to McDonalds or a restaurant and get a take-out meal. Most restaurants have started offering this and it's really quite good.

East Coast small portions fill me. Then again, I always have a packet of crisps, then hot food, then crisps/shortbread, and then a hot chocolate just after York because it's their last run on the trolley. I'm always very full after eating on East Coast.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It wasn't promising you a bite to eat? It says in the menu that items won't always be available.

I'm sure a nice polite email to East Coast just making them aware may see you refunded for the price of the Panini, or some travel vouchers for £5 or so.
Yes it says ITEMS may not be available. It does not warn that the MENU might not be available as has been my experience when travelling regularly from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.

ModernRailways

Established Member
We may have to substitute or alter some items on the menu at short notice, we apologise if your first choice is not available.

There should always be something available. If there isn't and it's on a regular basis make sure East Coast know that you aren't happy about it. If no-one complains to them they won't have an incentive to do anything.

HST Power

Established Member

As has been said, all one has to do is say no. This is a frequent occurrence on many services, especially as the 'regulars' have seen the food service fifty times over.

When you board a train now the menu is there and the crew just have to write it down, grab it and dish up. Hypothetically, you could end up with three coaches full of businesspeople all wishing to eat. Hence, if a 'pay on demand' system was in process, the train crew have to handle the orders and the serving as well as the hassle of payment. This will be a nightmare - people will want change, there won't be change. Card Readers will fail, people will have the wrong cards. This will waste a lot of time if the service is busy and everybody wants something, so the benefit of time saving is lost right off the bat.

I agree with you in the sense that a pay on demand system would encourage EC to increase their quality, but all in all I think the portions are fair. Most of the time, I step off the service full.

For me, paying for First Class is the end of it - you shouldn't have to pay for more.

38Cto15E

I was on the 0755 hours Inverness to Kings Cross Highland Chieftain service on Wednesday.
Probably my best experience so far with East Coast, hot drinks on departure, quickly followed by Breakfast orders and toast, juice etc. the lady who was taking breakfast orders was using an electronic pad of some sort, whether it was linked to the kitchen or HQ or for the staffs use perhaps a forum member can enlighten me.
The full brekkie was well presented and tasted very nice
Anyway lots of service, after Edinburgh the booze trolley and lunch orders, I decided to wait for the Fritata until after Newcastle, this is quite a tasty dish comes with leaves and dressing plus a roll.
I won't go into all the service other than it was excellent, I had 3 cans of Gaymers cider, one after Edinburgh, one after Newcastle and a final one after York.

I think the Inverness chef goes to Newcastle as there was another chef helping him from edinburgh to Newcastle, then possibly a London chef gets on at Newcastle, I am sure ther were two chefs all the way from Edinburgh to Kings Cross.

bengolding

Travelled recently on an xx08 Kings Cross to Newark service. On such a short journey, who is entitled to the complimentary food - does the 70 min rule still apply?

I was travelling on a FC ticket to Stevenage and was advised I was allowed a complimentary alcoholic drink. Are there any set rules on how far you must travel with EC to get this? I was also offered a glass of wine on my return leg from Stevenage.

HST Power

Established Member
Travelled recently on an xx08 Kings Cross to Newark service. On such a short journey, who is entitled to the complimentary food - does the 70 min rule still apply? I was travelling on a FC ticket to Stevenage and was advised I was allowed a .

You might get lucky - food is unlikely but its not out of the question, even with the '70 minute' rule you might get a generous crew, as I did a few months ago. See below.

HST Power said:
Tea, coke, biscuits, a plate of cheese and onion sandwiches and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps.......on a twenty minute journey between KGX and Stevenage.

God knows how I finished it in such a short period of time, but the trolley runs kept coming and I couldn't say no!

I was on the EMT HST set. Didn't have time to go in the FC Lounge, but having stuffed myself with all that for just £11.50, the only thing complaining is my digestive system.

I do Kings Cross - Stevenage fairly often.

Marty82

Hello all,

Newbie here so please be gentle.

About to book the following route.

1 Aug - 1818 Aberdeen to Leeds (EC)

6 Aug - 1512 Leeds to York (TPE), 1553 York to Aberdeen (EC)

On the way down it is the all day menu. On a long journey, 6 hours plus, do you only get one meal?

On the way up I'm not sure what is served. No colour shaded on the EC table but afternoon tea is highlighted from Newcastle in the next column. Is nothing served before this? Again is it one meal for the whole journey?

Also, is the Leeds lounge any good? Worth the £5 upgade?

I'm a canny Scot so like to know what I'm getting for my money! Lol.

If there are existing threads that answer any of this then apologies for this new thread and feel free to point me in the direction of them.

The East Coast website should really answer all my questions but it doesn't. Typical!

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

Newbie here so please be gentle.

About to book the following route.

On the way down it is the all day menu. On a long journey, 6 hours plus, do you only get one meal?

On the way up I'm not sure what is served. No colour shaded on the EC table but afternoon tea is highlighted from Newcastle in the next column. Is nothing served before this? Again is it one meal for the whole journey?

Also, is the Leeds lounge any good? Worth the £5 upgade?

I'm a canny Scot so like to know what I'm getting for my money! Lol.

If there are existing threads that answer any of this then apologies for this new thread and feel free to point me in the direction of them.

The East Coast website should really answer all my questions but it doesn't. Typical!

Thanks in advance!

Hi, how are you, welcome to the forum,
The 1818 of Aberdeen will be the all day menu, and yes you should get served twice if you so wish as there will be a change of crew at Edinburgh, so as long as there is enough stock you could order again.
The 1553 serves afternoon tea until Edinburgh and the all day menu on leaving Edinburgh, its likely just drinks and snacks will be served between York and Newcastle. Again you should be served food twice however the Aberdeen crew join that service at Newcastle so it might be worth asking them if you take afternoon tea will you be allowed a hot meal after Edinburgh and see what they say.
No the Leeds lounge is not worth a fiver, I would suggest a pint in the Brewery Tap close to the station, don't bother with either of the pubs in the station, they are both cr#p.

HST Power

Established Member
First of all, welcome to the forums.

This is very useful for working out what food you will get onboard East Coast services. For now I have copied the information for you.

The First Class service operates on a rotational basis. That will be Rotation 4. For the All Day Menu you have:

Lake District Cheddar cheese with coleslaw and
mixed leaf salad (v) or
British chicken and mixed leaf salad with a herb
mayonnaise sandwiches
served with hand cooked crisps
or
Jacket potato served with hot smoked salmon,
broad beans and Creme Fraiche mix.
Served with mixed leaf salad (GF)*
or
Mediterranean roast vegetable pie served with
mixed leaf salad and dressing (v)
-
St Clements loaf cake (v)
A light citrus sponge made with candied orange and
lemon peel and lightly brushed with a thin fondant icing
-
A selection of fruit (v)

Drinks as well, which I have cut due to space.

Back to Rotation One.

Please choose from the following
Red Leicester cheese with pickled onion
chutney and lettuce (v) or
British smoked fl avour streaky bacon, tomato,
rocket and watercress with a sunblush® red pepper
mayonnaise sandwiches
served with hand cooked crisps
or
Indian style chicken breast served with mango chutney,
naan bread and salad (GF)*
or
Spinach and ricotta fi lled cannelloni with tomato sauce
and served with mixed leaf salad and bread roll (v)
-
Lemon drizzle loaf (v)
A classic British citrus sponge topped with
sugar pearls and hand spun with fondant
-
A selection of fruit (v)

Again you'll have drinks.

Aldaniti

The St Clements loaf cake is divine. I've managed to scratch off three of the new loaf cakes but still require the Fire of London variety. Any reviews?

Marty82

Thanks for the welcome and replies guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah, I looked at the menu rotations so I know what I'll be served. The only thing that I wish EC made clear was whether on longer journeys you get served more than once. Surely it shouldn't be on the whim of the crew or the fact that a new crew has joined so they don't know whether you've eaten or not? Does EC not have set standard for this? If so it would be handy if they posted them on their website.

Also wish the first class was a little more legible as the text is tiny. A friend is colour blind so would struggle with the colours for the different menu offerings. Colours with other marks alongside would be a simple solution. I'd have thought that a government owned company would be compliant with the DDA!

Just remembered that a friend has just joined EC within the last month so I will also ask him. I know that there is a crew base in Aberdeen as he is based there, unlike XC which often don't have catering after Newcastle which I think is ridiculous as it's still a long way to Aberdeen, but is the EC train catered in Aberdeen? I'm guessing not as the last time I travelled they had no bacon sandwiches on leaving Aberdeen which is rather poor!

I'm sure I'll be in a pub during the Tuesday so another one by the station won't harm me! Lol. I don't usually go into station pubs as they are rather bad. The one in Aberdeen is a joke and the Pumpkin Cafe Shop isn't any better. At least we have a bigger WHSmith now.

mirodo

The only thing that I wish EC made clear was whether on longer journeys you get served more than once. Surely it shouldn't be on the whim of the crew or the fact that a new crew has joined so they don't know whether you've eaten or not? Does EC not have set standard for this? If so it would be handy if they posted them on their website.

You can get served twice on a relatively short journey if you have an unmemorable face!

:D

I did York-Alnmouth recently - got served immediately on departure from York and had the quiche. The same guy came around again after departure from Newcastle and offered food again - I only took the sandwiches this time as I didn't much time until arrival at ALM.

i have read with interest this thread

I used to travel regularly on a virgin service from EDB-EUS which virgin operated 10.10 from EDB which no longer operates

personally I found the service offered by virgin as nothing but FIRST CLASS in the first class coaches

tea and coffee and newspaper when journey started
excellent breakfast
two drinks trolley rounds {before crew change at preston I think }
lunch service
a further drinks trolley run later

I did find the Scottish crew to be much better than the crew who took over at preston who seemed to rush through the coach and you had to be quick to catch them to get tea/coffee or a drink

compare this to the service I used to get on the east coast line when it was gner and really virgin is the out right winner

I have yet to experience the EC first class service of complimentary food and drinks but it will have to be top notch to beat virgin in my opinion

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
i have read with interest this thread

I used to travel regularly on a virgin service from EDI-EUS which virgin operated 10.10 from EDI which no longer operates

personally I found the service offered by virgin as nothing but FIRST CLASS in the first class coaches

tea and coffee and newspaper when journey started
excellent breakfast
two drinks trolley rounds {before crew change at preston I think }
lunch service
a further drinks trolley run later

I did find the Scottish crew to be much better than the crew who took over at preston who seemed to rush through the coach and you had to be quick to catch them to get tea/coffee or a drink

compare this to the service I used to get on the east coast line when it was gner and really virgin is the out right winner

I have yet to experience the EC first class service of complimentary food and drinks but it will have to be top notch to beat virgin in my opinion

I thought everyone always raved about the service provided by GNER?

As for Virgin, it's alright if one is travelling in the morning or evening, but durig the day one hardly gets anything at all, where as on EC the choice is far greater and one is served a hot meal which one doesn't get on Virgin.

Darandio

Established Member
I thought everyone always raved about the service provided by GNER?

Wouldn't it be the comparison that on Virgin food was complementary and on GNER it wasn't?

I'm not sure you would find many that would argue against the paid for food and service on GNER being top notch.

Tibbs

I've found thread very interesting as I have my first EC journey coming up in a couple of weeks. Thank you to all who have contributed.

We're getting the 8 o'clock(ish) Kings Cross to Edinburgh on a Thursday coming back at some point on Sunday afternoon.

By the sounds of it we'll be well looked after on the way up, but less so on the way home as we'll be coming back at the weekend, is that fair? We're going first class both ways.

Wouldn't it be the comparison that on Virgin food was complementary and on GNER it wasn't?

I'm not sure you would find many that would argue against the paid for food and service on GNER being top notch.

exactly GNER gave you tea/coffee and a biscuit if you were lucky anything else you paid for and very rarely run on time and often used very old and filthy first class carriages and not once when I complained did I even get a response

I was very sad when virgin stopped the 10.10 from EDI [ not sure why they operated it as they were not EC operators

AND what is the big deal about having a hot meal during the day
AND yes if you ate in the dining car and paid their hefty price you were treated like royalty but if not you were treated no better than standard class apart from tea/coffee providing the hosts were not too busy serving the dining car

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
the reason for this is the cheap weekend upgrades which are available---they don't want to give too much away to £10 upgrades

I'm not sure what £10 upgrade you're talking about but it's £25 if you want to go from London to York or beyond! That's hardly what I'd call a cheap upgrade.

transmanche

Established Member
the reason for this is the cheap weekend upgrades which are available---they don't want to give too much away to £10 upgrades
£10? At least £15 on EC these days - and £25 for the majority of journeys (e.g. London-York/Leeds).

Mumble, mumble, remembers when it was just £1... :)

I'm not sure what £10 upgrade you're talking about but it's £25 if you want to go from London to York or beyond! That's hardly what I'd call a cheap upgrade.

ok I am a bit out of touch with EC upgrade prices

but I would suggest that buying a standard ticket and paying £25 upgrade may still be cheaper than the original first class fare

weekend first class service has never been as full because first class travel was really designed to meet the needs of business travellers not the leisure traveller

Last edited by a moderator:

Butts

Veteran Member
Because if I'm travelling around lunch time, as I often do, I'd much rather have a meal on a plate, than a few sandwiches. To me it's one of the attractions of FC.

I'd rather have both .....:p

The Hot Meal from Edinburgh and the Sandwiches after Newcastle or York.