• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Welshman

Established Member
When I used the Inverness service last year, I was served a hot lunch [Cumberland Sausage and Mash] on leaving Kings Cross, then a constant stream of sandwiches, cake, crisps and fruit from York onwards, with several choices from the tea/coffee/drinks trolley.

I didn't need anything else to eat[or drink] when I arrived in Inverness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Still on 1Y14 which is running increasingly late after a FUBAR at Grantham has us stacked up behind other late trains. We are absolutely stuffed full which is good because last service of anything was at Grantham.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

On board 1S24 (18:00 off KGX). Its rotation 3 so roast chicken or fish pie or salmon. So going for the chicken.

Learned the lesson from the way down and have tea, water, coke, Old Speckled Hen and 3 packs of biscuits to keep us going whilst awaiting dinner....

UPDATE - Roast Chicken with Risotto & Sugar Snap Peas was Fab, now tucking into Chocolate tart thing. Which is also Fab.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi Gus,

I was on the HC throughout yesterday, and offered rotation 4. I assume it will be rotation 1 for you next week.

Enjoy your journey, I really enjoyed the Full English breakfast shortly before arriving at Aviemore. Later on after Newcastle I had a very good Stilton and Potato tart.

Searle

Established Member
On the 21:15 from Newcastle to Stevenage. Got a round of drinks as we left Newcastle, and a decent sized sandwich, but I'm having to go and ask the host for anything I want now (probably because there are two people in the whole of first class!) Not too bad though, the host seems to be happy to give.me anything I want! Onto my third gin and tonic then... :D

HST Power

Established Member
On the 21:15 from Newcastle to Stevenage. Got a round of drinks as we left Newcastle, and a decent sized sandwich, but I'm having to go and ask the host for anything I want now (probably because there are two people in the whole of first class!) Not too bad though, the host seems to be happy to give.me anything I want! Onto my third gin and tonic then... :D

If you want to travel a bit earlier next time there's a Newcastle-Stevenage service at 17:30. I used it last year and it was without a doubt my best experience in First Class.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you want to travel a bit earlier next time there's a Newcastle-Stevenage service at 17:30. I used it last year and it was without a doubt my best experience in First Class.

Wouldn't have been much use as he'd have missed the forum meal that was going on in Newcastle ;)

johntea

Established Member
Just booked an advance ticket, was about £3 more for First Class so giving it a go on the return journey - 20:00 Kings X to York on the 6th May.

What can I expect to be treated to being a bank holiday? Is there a limit on the alcoholic side of things? :D

(I noticed it is a non stop service between the two stations which is a first for me but I'm still hoping the trolley will be down more than once?!)

philjo

Established Member
Just booked an advance ticket, was about £3 more for First Class so giving it a go on the return journey - 20:00 Kings X to York on the 6th May.

What can I expect to be treated to being a bank holiday? Is there a limit on the alcoholic side of things? :D

(I noticed it is a non stop service between the two stations which is a first for me but I'm still hoping the trolley will be down more than once?!)

It will be the weekend service on a bank holiday. So just tea/coffee/soft drinks and sandwiches served. No hot food.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just to remind everyone that the East Coast Directors' Forum is being held today from noon.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/chatonline

Damn I missed it......:oops:

I did notice someone asked about Evening Meals on Southbound Services from Edinburgh - the old "loading" excuse was used. Yes all the trains are empty :roll:

Someone asked about the Restaurant Car coming back - cue "£20 million fantasy loss figure" :roll:

I did notice there were far fewer complaints about the catering than in the initial forums. People have largely given up (or thats what they will assume ?)
Perhaps for the next one we should bombard them with questions which may start non-RailUK Forums participants thinking :idea:

38Cto15E

This week I travelled on the 1200 hrs Kings Cross- Inverness, The Highland Chieftain.
First of all I think that there is a case for treating the Aberdeens and Inverness trains as a special case catering wise, after all you can be on these trains for 8 hours or more.
Perhaps something similar to EMT offering a decent plate of hot food for about a Fiver.

Hot drinks before New Southgate, food order before Hadley Wood, Cold drinks by Stevenage, along with sandwiches and cake for passengers who did not want the hot meal.

It was week 1, so I had a Steak Pie and mash, this was served before Sandy, the pie was hot but the plate could have done with some gravy.
More Hot drinks to wash the lunch down before Peterborough and I never saw any more food or drinks until after York.
Hot and Cold drinks service after York, with York passengers being offered hot or cold food.
Nothing then till after Newcastle.
Hot and Cold drinks by Morpeth.
Then fate took a hand and we had a train ahead in a PHBT incident, we were delayed for 90 minutes but at least the G&T went down well.:lol:
Another hot drinks service after the Berwick stop where the staff delivered the Afternoon Tea menus.

There was no further hot food in the 3 and 1/2 hr journey to Inverness.
By Falkirk we had the Hot and Cold drinks, sandwiches and a small square of Bakewell tart.
One passenger complained about boarding a train at 1850 hrs and afternoon tea was the only option.
After Perth the final servings of Hot and Cold drinks sandwiches etc

There was enough food and drinks served on the journey but I did not have anything hot to eat from Peterborough to Inverness, I would love to have a restaurant car on these Scottish trains, but i don't think that will ever happen, maybe the EMT hot food is a better option.

I returned on the West Coast with VT and I liked the East Coast experience the better.:)

Can you present your 1st class ticket at the buffet car and get any complementaries when the trolley stops going round? Perth to Inverness is a long way....

A-driver

Established Member
This week I travelled on the 1200 hrs Kings Cross- Inverness, The Highland Chieftain.
First of all I think that there is a case for treating the Aberdeens and Inverness trains as a special case catering wise, after all you can be on these trains for 8 hours or more.
Perhaps something similar to EMT offering a decent plate of hot food for about a Fiver.

Hot drinks before New Southgate, food order before Hadley Wood, Cold drinks by Stevenage, along with sandwiches and cake for passengers who did not want the hot meal.

It was week 1, so I had a Steak Pie and mash, this was served before Sandy, the pie was hot but the plate could have done with some gravy.
More Hot drinks to wash the lunch down before Peterborough and I never saw any more food or drinks until after York.
Hot and Cold drinks service after York, with York passengers being offered hot or cold food.
Nothing then till after Newcastle.
Hot and Cold drinks by Morpeth.
Then fate took a hand and we had a train ahead in a PHBT incident, we were delayed for 90 minutes but at least the G&T went down well.:lol:
Another hot drinks service after the Berwick stop where the staff delivered the Afternoon Tea menus.

There was no further hot food in the 3 and 1/2 hr journey to Inverness.
By Falkirk we had the Hot and Cold drinks, sandwiches and a small square of Bakewell tart.
One passenger complained about boarding a train at 1850 hrs and afternoon tea was the only option.
After Perth the final servings of Hot and Cold drinks sandwiches etc

There was enough food and drinks served on the journey but I did not have anything hot to eat from Peterborough to Inverness, I would love to have a restaurant car on these Scottish trains, but i don't think that will ever happen, maybe the EMT hot food is a better option.

I returned on the West Coast with VT and I liked the East Coast experience the better.:)

Just to clarify-are you actually complaining that after serving drinks and hot food there was no more between peterbourgh and York despite the train not stopping anywhere? And also it seems from the wording you felt it equally wrong that they only did one round between York and Newcastle?!

38Cto15E

A-driver, I am not complaining about anything, if it reads that way then I am humbly sorry.
It just seemed strange that no staff paid a visit to First Class in the 79 minutes between Peterborough and York, also, I would expect only one service between York and Newcastle with the staff noting any new passengers boarding at Darlington and asking them personally what they would like.
FWIW I think that East Coast is the Premier TOC for it's complimentary food and drinks.

A-driver

Established Member
A-driver, I am not complaining about anything, if it reads that way then I am humbly sorry.
It just seemed strange that no staff paid a visit to First Class in the 79 minutes between Peterborough and York, also, I would expect only one service between York and Newcastle with the staff noting any new passengers boarding at Darlington and asking them personally what they would like.
FWIW I think that East Coast is the Premier TOC for it's complimentary food and drinks.

I'm not going to start arguing this again but surely if the train is non stop from London to York and they have been round with drinks and both hot and cold food by peterbourgh why go through again? You have been offered all the complimentary stuff coming to you-my point is its a complimentary refreshment service, not an 'all you can eat and drink' service and all they really need to offer as part of the free service is one round of food and drinks the entire journey, not 1 round per hour etc.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm not going to start arguing this again but surely if the train is non stop from London to York and they have been round with drinks and both hot and cold food by peterbourgh why go through again? You have been offered all the complimentary stuff coming to you-my point is its a complimentary refreshment service, not an 'all you can eat and drink' service and all they really need to offer as part of the free service is one round of food and drinks the entire journey, not 1 round per hour etc.

All the way from London to Inverness ? I don't think so :cry:

A-driver

Established Member
All the way from London to Inverness ? I don't think so :cry:

I actually meant 'all the way' from peterbourgh to York! How many times would you like to see the trolly pass through in the 2 hours it takes to get from London to York out of interest? Once seems fine to me as a fairly regular user of east coast first class. As I say, it's a complimentary refreshment, not all you can eat.

Butts

Veteran Member
I actually meant 'all the way' from peterbourgh to York! How many times would you like to see the trolly pass through in the 2 hours it takes to get from London to York out of interest? Once seems fine to me as a fairly regular user of east coast first class. As I say, it's a complimentary refreshment, not all you can eat.

In 2 hours one food run and a couple of drinks runs (alcohol)

A-driver

Established Member
In 2 hours one food run and a couple of drinks runs (alcohol)

That's my point, a complimentary drink is just that. They shouldn't be expected to provide 1 drink per hour etc, I don't see it as at all unreasonable to expect 2or 3 runs in an 8 hour journey, for starters one run an hour is 8 drinks in 8 hours, that would not only get very expensive for them but also lead to an increase in drunk behaviour onboard, will annoy those in first class who don't want to be constantly disturbed by the trolly and seems very excessive for a train journey that isn't designed to cater for alcoholics! Considering you are trapped on a train for 8 hours with little opportunity to walk about much I think is find myself in a bit of a state after 8 drinks.

The problem here is that people get a cheap advanced first class ticket and expect loads out of it. Sorry but you are still paying primarily to get to your destination in a first class seat. The complimentary food is just that, and being offered one free drink, a free tea or coffee and a free meal during an 8 hour journey should be perfectly acceptable. In the case being discussed here we are told he was offered a lot more than that so I don't see any problems. One could always bring their own food and drink onboard if they are that desperate to spend the entire length of the journey stuffing themselves.

How much do you eat on a normal day when not on a train? I would be happy with a hot meal and a sandwich between departure at 12 and arrival at 8ish. You can always have something to eat when you arrive in Inverness can you not?

My point is that I can understand people's gripes when nothing at all is offered but people are being very unrealistic in expecting to get an on demand all you can eat and drink service. You say you expect 2 alcohol runs in 2 hours, others may say that's not enough and want 4, others more etc. - but it's not designed as a free bar all the way to Scotland, just as a complimentary refreshment. If the complimentary drinks arnt enough then bring your own drink on board and drink that in the 2 hour gap between free drinks rounds.

marks87

Established Member
Considering you are trapped on a train for 8 hours with little opportunity to walk about much I think is find myself in a bit of a state after 8 drinks.
For the average male, 1 unit (single spirit, half a pint, small glass of wine) takes roughly an hour to be processed by their body. Intoxication arises when the process can't keep up with what you're taking in (the excess alcohol stays in your blood and depresses the central nervous system).

So if said average male were to have one single-unit drink every hour, in theory he wouldn't ever feel drunk; at most, he would be slightly tipsy.

Anyway, science lesson over... :lol:

A-driver

Established Member
For the average male, 1 unit (single spirit, half a pint, small glass of wine) takes roughly an hour to be processed by their body. Intoxication arises when the process can't keep up with what you're taking in (the excess alcohol stays in your blood and depresses the central nervous system).

So if said average male were to have one single-unit drink every hour, in theory he wouldn't ever feel drunk; at most, he would be slightly tipsy.

As you say, 'in theory'. In reality, however, try it one day and see what happens. Have one drink an hour without getting any fresh air and sitting down for most of it.

What you have also failed to mention in your science lesson is that alcohol dosnt start being processed through the body for about an hour after you have stopped drinking. So if you have a unit of alcohol you need to give it an hour before the hour when it starts to breakdown so 2 hours for the first unit, 1 for every unit after.

I've also just had a look at the east coast website and it is worded that complimentary drinks are served to compliment the meals and that on shorter journeys non alcoholic drinks are provided. They certainly arnt advertising more drink runs than they are providing, people just have incredibly false expectations! Looking at the text on their website they would be perfectly entitled to only provide one drink with every meal. Every tie I have travelled with them they have served more than that.

Butts

Veteran Member

The Spirit Measures served are actually 5cl so are doubles :p

marks87

Established Member
What you have also failed to mention in your science lesson is that alcohol dosnt start being processed through the body for about an hour after you have stopped drinking. So if you have a unit of alcohol you need to give it an hour before the hour when it starts to breakdown so 2 hours for the first unit, 1 for every unit after.
That's not true - you count from when you start drinking. Your liver doesn't stop processing just because you're drinking. It just tries to keep up as best it can.

So while you're right to say it can take 2 hours for things to get properly started, that means at most you'll still have only one "excess" unit at any given time (again, in theory). For the vast majority of people, that's below the drink-drive limit, never mind their "tipsy" threshold.

My general point being is that it's a bit disingenuous to claim that 8 drinks (normal-sized) over an 8 hour period is an indication that the service is designed for alcoholics.