• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that's unbelievably poor as there is a full catering depot at Edinburgh so there should have been the ability to reload any stock required there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

What alternative profession would you have 'running the show'?

Possibly a whole different thread, and I wouldn't want to get this one distracted onto it; but, since you ask: I think this is a problem with business today (UK business especially), not just rail. The focus of accountants is on cost, on profit. This should be secondary, it should result from the business rather than be the business. The business you are in is what you are supposed to be good at, and if you are good at it then (allowing for not going crazy with the spending) the customers will appreciate you and spend with you. I worked for a big IT company where they thought to improve profits by driving down costs, it worked for a while but then it had a major effect on quality (no training, no development of product) and that drove down profits more. VTEC are solely driven by costs - and paying a massive amount to a government that doesn't care about travellers north of Stevenage doesn't help - so they don't care about lack of crew on trains, don't care about customer happiness. And despite the 'cheerfulness' of the crews, I would say that the lack of interest in providing service to passengers has filtered down to them. Having a plate slapped in front of you with a cursory 'enjoy' is not a way of increasing my 'at seat dining' or whatever term we now have.
But of course it is a monopoly, so VTEC (and every other company running our 'privatised' rail network) couldn't give a monkey's really
Oops - didn't answer the question! Well, I'd say a rail enthusiast, and engineer, or even a regular traveller would understand better

Last edited:
I wrote to Richard Branson and the chef whose name is on the menus. I told the chef he should be ashamed to be associated with this paltry service (didn't get a reply). I did get a reply from the customer service manager and we had a to and fro of emails in which he threw up the oft-misused argument that the old style paid for dinner service was losing money and so had to go (I pointed out that it was all down to how you arrange your accounting. If a service is a 'profit-centre' then it can lose money, if it is a service as part of the overall deal then it can be absorbed as part of the costs of providing the service ie. First Class). I sent him some pictures of the miniscule portions, the 3 cheesy biscuits and tiny slice of apple, that kind of thing. He stopped replying - probably couldn't think how to explain why one apple has to be sliced up to serve the whole carriage!

The point - I'm afraid Mr (or Ms) Moderator - is that isn't unbelievably poor these days. It is entirely believable because service consists of an insincere 'have a nice day' rather than actually providing service

leightonbd

I agree with the earlier comments - there was also no hot food on the evening train I caught from Kings Cross 2 nights ago, and there's frequently no trolley service in standard, so it simply can't be relied upon, and if you want to be sure of having a meal you just have to self-cater)

You weren't on the 1830 on Tues 27th by any chance? Of all the trains to pull the catering on ... the word was 'no chef'.

Like you, I self cater but on the assumption I will get something on the train also. The tannoy at KGX was announcing at about 1800 'no hot food' so at least some people would have had some chance to plan.

Also had the experience (1030 EDB to Aberdeen) a while ago, where at Haymarket the crew were saying 'unable to load food at Waverley'. The train had passed through platform 2, past the Rail Gourmet facility!

I am never sure if it is cockup or conspiracy with this service but, as is the case if you go right back to the start of this thread, 'the only thing that is certain is the uncertainty' about EC catering.

misterredmist

HaxbyT has it bang on, nothing good comes from having the bean counters being in command. They never build anything up, they just remove what's appealing about a product or service until it has lost it's original advantages altogether......

Alan2603

HaxbyT has it bang on, nothing good comes from having the bean counters being in command. They never build anything up, they just remove what's appealing about a product or service until it has lost it's original advantages altogether......

They work to the 'knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing' school of economics!

Alan

jon01

Travelling on the VTEC 09:08 KGX to Peterborough (Arrives 09:59) on a Wednesday in August

Will I get a cooked British breakfast before I leave the train at Peterborough?

Would it be better to order one of the lighter options, so at least I get something?

Thanks everyone!

Darandio

Established Member
As your journey is less than 70 minutes, you are only really eligible for a light bite.

There have been many differing accounts of how this has been enforced though.

westv

Established Member
I'm in standard this evening so it doesn't affect me but, yet again, no hot food in 1st class on the Executive.

Chrism20

Established Member
I'm in standard this evening so it doesn't affect me but, yet again, no hot food in 1st class on the Executive.

The Exec seems to be the peak service that cops it almost every time.

With the frequency that it happens I'm surprised no one has challenged them for advertising something (even if it is complimentary) that is routinely not provided.

marks87

Established Member
The Exec seems to be the peak service that cops it almost every time.

With the frequency that it happens I'm surprised no one has challenged them for advertising something (even if it is complimentary) that is routinely not provided.

There is the magic asterisk of absolvement: "subject to availability".

Although there presumably comes a time where even that can't save them: at what point does a repeated lack of availability become false advertising? Even if it isn't deliberate (he says uncynically).

Chrism20

Established Member
There is the magic asterisk of absolvement: "subject to availability".

Although there presumably comes a time where even that can't save them: at what point does a repeated lack of availability become false advertising? Even if it isn't deliberate (he says uncynically).

Exactly, advertising rules will apply for something even if there is no charge and the manner in which they promote it as being a benefit of First Class leads one to expect "A full compliment of luxurious extras" to be available unless there is a rare issue.

With phrases such as that when you click on the why upgrade button it's clear they are using it to entice people to upgrade and the (lack of) hot food service on the Exec is clearly not a rare issue going by the number of times westv has posted on here about it.

I emailed the customer relations manager with my observations on the reduction in size/choice again. I got the standard reply 'I'll reply as soon as possible ...'

Then: nothing.

dave87016

Established Member
I share others thoughts regarding VTEC first class service in recent months , I now get a food bar voucher buy it for £4 and have £5 to spend ( 10% discount) a cheese Ploughmans on artisan baguette does the trick if I'm hungry due to the small portions of first class meal

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If you're travelling on a four hour journey from Edinburgh to Inverness and you get the complimentary meal straight away, will they still provide you with snacks later in the journey?

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Vary's a bit depending on crew but if you have the meal on departure you'll usually be offered snacks later on but not usually sandwiches (unless they've got loads of spares and are feeling generous).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Vary's a bit depending on crew but if you have the meal on departure you'll usually be offered snacks later on but not usually sandwiches (unless they've got loads of spares and are feeling generous).

Ok thanks, is that the same on Saturdays

JaJaWa

Established Member
I share others thoughts regarding VTEC first class service in recent months , I now get a food bar voucher buy it for £4 and have £5 to spend ( 10% discount) a cheese Ploughmans on artisan baguette does the trick if I'm hungry due to the small portions of first class meal

That’s a 20% discount!

Starmill

Veteran Member
I usually get the cheese Ploughmans baguette & a brew or crisps & chocolate bar along with it

So it's £5 for the baguette and a cup of tea. That does not seem like a good deal to me, even on a train.

At least you don't order the ham & cheese baguette with a hot chocolate. Just those come through at £6.65 at the full price. Let's say you want more than just the sandwich for your lunch, so you add a bag of popcorn. Now your total is £9.05. I don't think I've ever known such an expensive selection of drinks and snacks. Hopefully you're not travelling with a child, which would add a further £4 if you wanted to get them a snack box, or £2.20 for a tiny box of jelly beans shaped like a train.

Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Perhaps you could also consider the "free versions" in 1st Class - who is tops ?

If it's in a proper roll there is nothing in it imo. VTWC went through a phase of bacon ciabattas in first which were more than chewable.

You also take your life in your hands having a drink on some of the trains. I'm trying to type this on the train and can barely keep focussed because it is bouncing around so much. I'm surprised that more people don't end up with hot coffee in their laps (or laptops):(