• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Marton

….The bumpy ride is par for the course on a 8xx.
I haven’t used the ECML much in the last 2 years because of Covid and before that always aimed for a 225 and a seat in the centre of a carriage. Ideally K29/31.
When I have used an Azuma I have been at the end of a coach and the ride is not good.
Is it better in the centre of a coach?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
I haven’t used the ECML much in the last 2 years because of Covid and before that always aimed for a 225 and a seat in the centre of a carriage. Ideally K29/31.
When I have used an Azuma I have been at the end of a coach and the ride is not good.
Is it better in the centre of a coach?
I find it bumpy wherever you sit but perhaps i look out for it. Other passengers may not notice it as much.

Stathern Jc

I was having an early look at travel options for a visit to London in May.
Was surprised to see on the LNER website Advance First tickets already available as they didn't used to appear until around 13 weeks ahead; and also surprised to see that for a string of dates in May it consistently showed "only 2 tickets left".
Is that the extent of the availability of Advance tickets? Looks to me to be a rather paltry allocation. Or do more become available nearer the time?

Glad to see the return of the "Dish" Menu. Would need to take some different journeys sometime to get to sample the "Dine" option.

Edit:
It's so easy to jump to conclusions.
Just had a look at the First Class menu and realised it was the "updated Deli" rather than the "Dish" I was anticipating, presume that will appear tomorrow.
Just didn't think that a waffle with nutella compared very favourably with the return of the cooked breakfast I was hoping to find! :D

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I wonder if the menus will be as follows:

Deli - Weekends and late evening trains
Dish - Weekday services until Dinner
Dine - Dinner trains

It’d be nice to have cooked food all day and the complaints have been about the lack of option, I don’t think many people would be too pleased with Deli for lunch.

davetheguard

Established Member
Dish and updated Deli menu launches tomorrow (Wed 05/01) apparently, with the Dine menu in a couple of weeks.

Could someone please explain to this ignoramus what these terms mean & what the differences are between the three menus are? Thanks.

westv

Established Member
2 weeks until dinner available? I'll believe it when iot happens.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was surprised to see on the LNER website Advance First tickets already available as they didn't used to appear until around 13 weeks ahead; and also surprised to see that for a string of dates in May it consistently showed "only 2 tickets left".
LNER, along with various other TOCs had, pre-pandemic, made services available to book up to six months before departure. During the pandemic that got axed as in some cases they were barely able to confirm timetables six weeks before departure (sometimes even less). But LNER have been getting back to making APs available around six months before departure in recent months. Usually weekends and bank holidays don't go on sale until the more traditional 12 week window but even they will go on sale further in advance if there's no engineering work planned.
Is that the extent of the availability of Advance tickets?
Hard to say but I would expect availability to be much more restricted (at least at the lower price points) than in previous years by simple virtue of their being far fewer first class seats (see post 7,397 in this thread).

Dine - Dinner trains
Considering dish doesn't include a proper breakfast (just the bacon roll, porridge, etc) I'd hope that some of the dine services will be morning trains with a proper breakfast!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
So perhaps they might be running all three menus at the same time then, with the exception of Dine at the weekends?

Our three new menus mean you can enjoy a wider First Class food offer when you're travelling with LNER, even on weekends.

Instead of a weekday and a weekend menu, we've introduced Deli, Dish and Dine. Each one offering delicious, locally sourced meals, snacks and drinks to keep you fueled up for your journey.
This bit at the top really sounds like they will be running them at the same time.

I do hope it means the hosts will be less stingy with food, Dine upon boarding and something from Deli later on?

EDIT: The Social Media team appear to have clarified that the eventual aim is to scrap Deli.

The menus are determined based on the busier services with the aim to eventually make all trains Dine and Dish. No specifics...yet!

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1478682598452965378?s=20

It also seems like quieter and lighter loaded trains may be running the Deli menu, perhaps maybe the Lincoln/York stopping service?
There will be different menus depending on the trains varying between Deli, Dish, and Dine (when released later in the month) so there will always be an offering onboard :)

takno

Established Member
I do hope it means the hosts will be less stingy with food, Dine upon boarding and something from Deli later on?
I got two sandwich runs and 5 beers between London and Edinburgh over the weekend. Probably more luck of the draw with the crews, and the fact that it was a very empty train, but definitely felt more pleasant than previous experiences.

I think that's just "2 left at that price point" rather than only 2 cheap advances left altogether. There might only be a couple of the cheapest ones of each price point on the train, particularly if they have added in a much cheaper price point just so that they can say "from £x" in adverts.

williamn

Had a survey from them today asking if I’d still choose first class if free food and drinks were removed - I hope this doesn’t mean they’re doing away with them.

Nova1

Had a survey from them today asking if I’d still choose first class if free food and drinks were removed - I hope this doesn’t mean they’re doing away with them.
Probably just trying to see what matters the most to people when choosing to go standard or first class. Wouldn't be worried.

Stormaggeddon

Probably just trying to see what matters the most to people when choosing to go standard or first class. Wouldn't be worried.
I’d be a little more wary. The last time they did a similar survey they used it to justify the removal of the first class quiet coach as it apparently came “last” in the reasons people said they travelled in first rather than standard.

takno

Established Member
I’d be a little more wary. The last time they did a similar survey they used it to justify the removal of the first class quiet coach as it apparently came “last” in the reasons people said they travelled in first rather than standard.
They surveyed me on whether I'd be excited to see a new range of red crockery. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of the ideas ever make it off the drawing board

Scotrail314209

Established Member
They surveyed me on whether I'd be excited to see a new range of red crockery. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of the ideas ever make it off the drawing board
Was this under Virgin by any chance? Surveying about red cutlery really sounds like a Virgin-esque thing to do.

Bungle73

On Moderation
You probably only need to worry if the results show most people aren't bothered by the presence or not of catering. I doubt that's true, since ime most people seem to take advantage of it. And it certainly is an incentive to go First for me.

First class is quieter anyway, and there is a quiet coach in Standard, so it probably makes sense that for most people its presence in First is not important.

takno

Established Member
Was this under Virgin by any chance? Surveying about red cutlery really sounds like a Virgin-esque thing to do.
This was last year. I thought it was a bit jarring tbh, and went to some lengths to fully express both my distaste at the colour-scheme they were proposing, and just how very strongly I thought that garish new crockery wasn't the best investment at this stage. It seemed like a really odd question to be asking anyway, since they were barely using any crockery at the time.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I suspect that they are watching very carefully what people like avantia doing with standard premium whilst trying to find some ways to cut yet more costs. Personally I would be quite happy if if tea and coffee and water and orange juice and biscuits were complementary and a range of good quality meals and sandwiches were available to purchase at an affordable price, East Midlands trains were doing this before the pandemic and the change over to East Midlands railway and and I personally felt it was the best of both worlds in first class and indeed probably did more mileage with them in first then I have ever done with any of the recent east coast franchises or operations. The trains themselves have a lot to do with it as well for me now, in the highly unlikely event that I now wish to travel between Edinburgh and London by train it's it's the west coast route, lumo at a push or not at all. At least with lumo and and the Avanti offering both on the UN refurbished and refurbished 390 the seats are usable

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This was last year. I thought it was a bit jarring tbh, and went to some lengths to fully express both my distaste at the colour-scheme they were proposing, and just how very strongly I thought that garish new crockery wasn't the best investment at this stage. It seemed like a really odd question to be asking anyway, since they were barely using any crockery at the time.
That is a bit jarring… maybe the team behind the surveys needed something to do? :D

On the subject of surveys, was there any about the new menus? I believe Avanti did a survey about the new food choices but i’m unsure if LNER did.

williamn

You probably only need to worry if the results show most people aren't bothered by the presence or not of catering. I doubt that's true, since ime most people seem to take advantage of it. And it certainly is an incentive to go First for me.

First class is quieter anyway, and there is a quiet coach in Standard, so it probably makes sense that for most people its presence in First is not important.
Well you could see the results of the poll and about 65% said they would continue to travel First Class anyway even without complimentary food and drink...

I don't mind if the free catering goes but would hope that something like an at-seat restaurant service might be available instead, esp for the longer routes.

westv

Established Member
I wonder if any of the 65% who weren't bothered about catering wrongly assumed that ticket prices would go down if there was no free catering?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Usually, but I've experienced a carriage of people going to London for the football in First Class.

Wasn't quite as bad as the overnight coach (National Express) full of fans going down to the rugby.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Personally I would be quite happy if if tea and coffee and water and orange juice and biscuits were complementary and a range of good quality meals and sandwiches were available to purchase at an affordable price, East Midlands trains were doing this before the pandemic and the change over to East Midlands railway and and I personally felt it was the best of both worlds in first class and indeed probably did more mileage with them in first then I have ever done with any of the recent east coast franchises or operations.

This was my view as well.