• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground line names announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon81uk

£6.3m on a rebrand that nobody really asked for when TfL are meant to be strapped for cash…
The existing system on the Overground didn't work, many people did ask for them to seperate it, so you can work out which part has delays/issues more easily.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Yet another comical waste of £4m from TfL.
It was broken. Trying to work out which bit is closed or delayed was hard.

Lucan

Established Member
What a shame they used them to make political points. They should have been references to locations and areas.

GLC

What a shame they used them to make political points. They should have been references to locations and areas.
Fully agree. Typical wokish nonsense to celebrate giving votes to woman. Where will it end ?!

PTR 444

Established Member
Even if people didn't know Goblin, once explained it actually makes sense, and is both memorable and non controversial.
Strictly speaking, shouldn’t the Goblin now be the GOBRLIN (The R standing for Riverside)?

jon81uk

For those who think it is politicsed choosing names that represent the diversity of the city, that was the plan, when they asked the public for suggestions they asked for names to represent those communities.

TfL says it will consult local groups and transport historians and "is working with the Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm to establish broad themes we'll use to guide the community engagement".
It added: "The approach is centred around hearing from the many different communities that live close to the London Overground and how we can represent them through the line names."
from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66067924

richa2002

Established Member
No surprise in today's world where DEI is the new religion. This now trumps easy to remember/say, politically neutral names that actually work for a transport system.

Mikey C

Established Member
Fully agree. Typical wokish nonsense to celebrate giving votes to woman. Where will it end ?!
What's that got to do with a line which loops around NE London though?

jon0844

Veteran Member
If it annoys the snowflakes then it seems like money well spent.

SynthD

Why politicise this? Is it down to Khan?

I'll be sticking with the names i know best.
Is that what transport strategy has come to? Deary me. People really need to leave politics where it belongs.
Considering that the 'other side' named the Jubilee and Elizabeth lines, anyone in a position of power would have politicised it. I'm glad the East London Line wasn't named to commemorate the Battle of Cable Street.

Bishopstone

Established Member
As a childhood resident of Havering, I’m pleased with the Liberty Line. Definitely a consolation prize for the ‘other side’, which will be well received locally!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
No surprise in today's world where DEI is the new religion. This now trumps easy to remember/say, politically neutral names that actually work for a transport system.
If you think "Weaver Line" or "Liberty Line" is difficult to say, that says more about you than anything else.

As for political names, everything has a political tint, which is why we have three lines named after dead monarchs (Victoria, Jubilee, Elizabeth) and one (Bakerloo) partially named after a battle where we gave those Frogs a jolly good bashing.
What a shame they used them to make political points. They should have been references to locations and areas
What location does the Jubilee Line refer to? The Elizabeth Line?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I really would have left any perceived politics out of it. Comments turned off on all channels show you exactly why, it just stokes the current pathetic culture war the west is embroiled in.

Numbers much better, cannot be viewed as political and very easy to use. The German system is so easy to follow as a non native speaker and I would support it fully.

thomalex

From DiamondGeezer

GGXm2CzXUAAurM9

The Mildmay line goes nowhere near the Mildmay Hospital. The Windrush line passes within 150m (and the Weaver line within 500m)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is that what transport strategy has come to? Deary me. People really need to leave politics where it belongs.

I would have preferred numbers, but I am not going to get all upset as some people are over names that we'll get to remember in due course.

People can still use other names/terms amongst themselves, just as I still consider the Lizzy line to be Crossrail.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd rather have names (from whatever viewpoint) than numbers. At least they're a talking point.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I really would have left any perceived politics out of it. Comments turned off on all channels show you exactly why, it just stokes the current pathetic culture war the west is embroiled in.

Numbers much better, cannot be viewed as political and very easy to use. The German system is so easy to follow as a non native speaker and I would support it fully.
In terms of politics, all the new(er) lines have been given political names. Renaming the Fleet Line the Jubilee Line was a political decision, as was renaming Crossrail the Elizabeth Line.

Are monarchs more or less deserving of a named line than Windrush? That's a matter of political opinion.

I do agree though, numbers are better. But when everything else has a name, it would look strange.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
(Bakerloo) partially named after a battle where we gave those Frogs a jolly good bashing.

Strictly speaking, it's partially named after a station that's named after a bridge that's named after a battle....

Status
Not open for further replies.