• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hager98

Does anyone know if LO have upgraded any of the former stations to accept Oyster cards yet.

If not why has it taken them so long to do this

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does anyone know if LO have upgraded any of the former stations to accept Oyster cards yet.

If not why has it taken them so long to do this

What a strange post. Every London Overground station has accepted Oyster cards from the moment London Overground took over.

Hager98

Sorry i meant why are they bothering to install the machines at ticket offices.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yeah, if you live in I don't know, West ealing and you want to go to Slough, how do you buy a tciket ? :D Strange

RJ

Established Member
Yeah, if you live in I don't know, West ealing and you want to go to Slough, how do you buy a tciket ? :D Strange

If using Oyster PAYG you must top up using the TVM (I assume there is one there). You then touch in at West Ealing, travel to Hayes, touch out then use a paper ticket to get to Slough.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry i meant why are they bothering to install the machines at ticket offices.

Stations managed by certain TOCs don't have Oyster facilities on their TVMs (SWT spring to mind.) Often there will be an advert somewhere directing you to the nearest shop in order to top up.

JKJimar53

Do you mean the LO ticket offices, last time i was there neither West Croydon or Norwood junction could issue PAYG Oyster cards and this was after the LO takeover.

Class377/5

Established Member

But that jounery has nothing to do with Oyster. Its the same as it was before Oyster was rolled out. Either get a ticket from a machine before travel, use a PTT (Permit To Travel) or ask for a ticket the first chance you have on route (either on train, station you change at or final desination)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
But that jounery has nothing to do with Oyster. Its the same as it was before Oyster was rolled out. Either get a ticket from a machine before travel, use a PTT (Permit To Travel) or ask for a ticket the first chance you have on route (either on train, station you change at or final desination)

He was saying why do you have ticket machines in ticket offices, I was giving an example of why you do, or to my understanding thatb is what he was implying :D

Hager98

Do you mean the LO ticket offices, last time i was there neither West Croydon or Norwood junction could issue PAYG Oyster cards and this was after the LO takeover.

I meant to ask do they sell them at the ticket offices which Jimar53 says they don't. I know most people do have Oyster cards now, but i thought the new LO stations would have the machines to retail new cards by now.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If there are no ticket issuing facility at your origin, buy on board. If no opportunity to buy on board, buy at your destination.

If your journey includes a change of train and you have enough time to buy a ticket at the interchange station (without delaying your journey) then you should buy at the interchange station.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
i was just going off the implication that the OP wondered why stations had booking offices when Oyster was so prominent, I was just giving an example of why they are needed

Status
Not open for further replies.