• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Birmingham, Crewe and Wakefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daz28

I'm looking to do a circular trip from Elmstead Woods (ESD). I have Oyster PAYG, so happy to purchase from London if easier. no railcard.

Day 1. Birmingham International (BHI)
Day 2. Crewe (CRE)
Day 3. Wakefield (WKF)

I'm flexible as to where I stay each night, so for example I could do

Day 1 ESD - BHI - CRE
Day 2 CRE - WKF
Day 3 WKF - ESD

I need to arrive at each location by 10am each morning, and will depart about 4pm. Before I go and book a set of advances, can anyone see any way of doing this with an Anytime Return or other flexible ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Probably not the cheapest, but a London-Huddersfield Anytime return would be valid for this trip.

Maps MA+GM outward, LY+EE on the return (other combinations are possible I'm sure, there's a huge variety of map combinations allowed). You'd need to travel via (and call at) Huddersfield on the CRE-WKF journey, but this shouldn't be an issue as most/all journeys do.

London-Huddersfield Any Permitted is £254.00. I see Virgin are pulling their usual tricks and there's a more expensive Via Manchester fare available which they may claim means that the Any Permitted is not valid via Manchester. For this reason, and convenience, you may want to buy ESD-HUD at £263.00 (only the Any Permitted is available, so less room for argument).

Last edited:

soil

Established Member
You can get to Crewe for £52 on a London Midland Only Anytime Single.

The BHI - Crewe section is fastest on LM, but there is a half-hour time penalty reaching BHI.

As it's not a Day ticket, you could use it on Day 2 also.

Daz28

You can get to Crewe for £52 on a London Midland Only Anytime Single.

The BHI - Crewe section is fastest on LM, but there is a half-hour time penalty reaching BHI.

As it's not a Day ticket, you could use it on Day 2 also.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Despite asking for the cheapest fare, specifying via Birmingham, and even stating a preference for LM, I can't get the National Rail website to present that fare. I found it on the LM website however.

National Rail seems to have an overwhelming desire to put you on a Virgin Train if you are departing from Euston!

soil

Established Member
Thanks for this suggestion.

Despite asking for the cheapest fare, specifying via Birmingham, and even stating a preference for LM, I can't get the National Rail website to present that fare. I found it on the LM website however.

National Rail seems to have an overwhelming desire to put you on a Virgin Train if you are departing from Euston!

Euston - Crewe, direct, LM-only, does the job

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/EUS/CRE/tomorrow/1042/arr?directonly&show=LM

Likewise to BHI

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/EUS/BHI/tomorrow/0715/dep?directonly&show=LM

There are some cheap Advances on the 07:13 LM to BHI, if booked in dvance

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Also, a Super Off Peak Single Wakefield-London will be £49.00 if bought from eastcoast.co.uk before the day of travel - valid any train arriving KGX at or after 1117.

Daz28

Probably not the cheapest, but a London-Huddersfield Anytime return would be valid for this trip.

Maps MA+SY outward, LY+EE on the return (other combinations are possible I'm sure, there's a huge variety of map combinations allowed). You'd need to travel via (and call at) Huddersfield on the CRE-WKF journey, but this shouldn't be an issue as most/all journeys do.

Thanks for this idea. I'm probably being dumb, but I can't work out how MA+SY is valid to Huddersfield? However I think MA+GM works and is valid? You are correct to state that London to Huddersfield has a huge variety of combinations - 22 by my count. Possibly the most flexible destination from London?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for this idea. I'm probably being dumb, but I can't work out how MA+SY is valid to Huddersfield?

I think that might have been a typo, given that MA+SY is not even in the list of permitted map combinations.

MKD

Don't overlook Grand Central Trains running direct from Wakefield Kirkgate to Kings Cross. Three a weekday - eg at 16:40 WKK to 19:05 KGX. Available from £9.50 upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.