• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Calais fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You may have to shop around until you find a clerk interested and enthusiastic enough to find out how to issue the ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
edit - ignore original - I missed your bit about the HS1 guard :oops:

When you get to Calais, is there a bus service from the port to some reasonable shopping centre, and do you need to pay for it? (it's 20 years since I've been there, so I have no idea what it's like now).

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
2euro for the bus
Learnt a few tips for this trip which I will update on later, just waiting to get off the ferry at the moment.

district

Tried to get these on the TVM's at St. Pancras, both the EMT and FCC ones didn't have the fare.

radamfi

Established Member

When you get to Calais, is there a bus service from the port to some reasonable shopping centre, and do you need to pay for it? (it's 20 years since I've been there, so I have no idea what it's like now).

There is a huge shopping centre near the Channel Tunnel terminal. Bus service from Calais town centre is linked from here:

http://en.citeeurope.com/W/do/centre/getting-to-your-centre

The much missed Connex coach service went there regularly from Ashford.

wintonian

Established Member
Tried to get these on the TVM's at St. Pancras, both the EMT and FCC ones didn't have the fare.

Thanks I forfot to try TVMs - wasnt really expecting them to be avalible but it would have saved me some hassle.

The bus from calais goes to the town center and the rail station, though you can walk to the town center in about 15 min and get there about the same time as the bus.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'll do a kind of report of my trip with the things I learnt that others doing this might want to be aware of in a day or two.

Shall I start a new thread for it or append it to this one?

shotayo

Following on from Wintonian's experience on Thursday, I approached the EMT ticket office on Friday morning; my request for a anytime day return to Calais was initial meant with " we do not sell ferry tickets here", I pointed out that it was a rail and sail, and gave them the codes 1072 & H426, they then sold me my ticket.

paul1609

Established Member

There is a dedicated bus link outside the ferry terminal at 2 euros but its a pretty short walk as well.
Frankly though you are unlikely make huge savings on much these days by foot.
Loads of French Registered cars in supermarkets and designer outlets in Ashford these days!

Oracle

Established Member
Is the shuttle bus the small midi-bus that ends up outside the Ville station? We found that there were precious few shops in town and that apart from Citeeurope we had to go to the hypermarkets out nof town on a commercial estate.

Greeby

I made some enquiries about this very fare. The problem with it for Tribute users is that the manual states that Control tickets are needed. But when selecting the London Terminals - Calais fare, the control tickets do not appear in the supplements (whereas they do for every other RailSail ticket). Mind you, the manual also quoted the old APTIS control ticket stock as being used, so I'm open to the page being WAY out of date.

I also put in a call to Charing Cross, they told me the ticket wasn't valid via HS1

paul1609

Established Member
Is the shuttle bus the small midi-bus that ends up outside the Ville station? We found that there were precious few shops in town and that apart from Citeeurope we had to go to the hypermarkets out nof town on a commercial estate.

No its a bus that shuttles hourly from the town to the ferry terminalonly. Theres a few small shops in the town, Citedeurope is about 6 miles away near the Channel Tunnel.

Of all the Channel Ports I prefer Dieppe and St Malo but neither of these are really practical as a day trip.

wintonian

Established Member
I think I’ll do it here as I have covered some of it and some the questions here are related to things I was going to cover and I don’t want to someone to spend time moving all the posts around.

Tickets
Take a print out from the manual (it is permissible for TOC’s to provide them when it would be helpful to the passenger) or find someone willing to look for it in the manual (under shipping links).

Avoid EMT (and possibly SWT though I am not sure how well the ticket offices are aware of SWT’s policy not to sell these) and pop over to FCC at Kings Cross (your experience here may be different.) I suggest Charing Cross may be the best place to but I haven’t tried there, Victoria in theory should also be good.

Euston may also be worth a try as they are used to selling shipping link tickets to Dublin.
South Eastern ticket offices may be more used to selling the fare (and they price it so might find it difficult to argue that it can’t be sold by them.) Try places like Canterbury, Folkestone and Ashford International.

The usual suggestion about trying a large station which may be more used to selling unusual tickets or complicated Itinerary’s also applies here.

A control ticket is needed, this gets retained by the check in staff at Calais on your return, I didn’t get one and they just photocopied my return rail ticket instead and said that it was ok on this occasion. I suspect if someone were to do this trip regularly and without a control ticket issues may arise eventually. Apprently it is quite common for pepole to turn up with out a control ticket so they are used to it.

Railcard discounts are available; the time restrictions are waved for these tickets. This is a SDR, singles and period returns are not available.

Despite what Southeastern might like to think the tickets are valid on HS1 (the routing is "STENA P&O" not "P&O NOT HS1" and there is nothing in the manual about them not being valid) and the guards seem more than happy about it, in fact 1 guard even commented that he had seen the fares on Avantix so presumably they can also be sold on-board.

Buses
The bus from Dover Priory goes from outside the station every 20 mins costs £2.00, takes 5 mins and concessionary bus passes are accepted, this drops you off outside the front of the ferry terminal, Not you will also get the bus back from here, though there isn’t anything to say so and in fact the sign you will see coming out of arrivals points to the bus shelter for national express, this is not the where the bus stops. Having said that I overheard a passenger getting on the bus talking to the bus driver saying that where the bus pick up keeps changing so it may be best to check before leaving arrivals, not after leaving as I found departures was locked up, there were no P&O staff around and I couldn’t get back into arrivals as the doors had been locked as soon as the passengers had left. The last bus (according to the driver of it) back to the station is at 20:40

The bus in Calais goes from the shelter outside the terminal and goes to the town centre and the railway station and costs €2.00 flat fare, however I didn’t have any chance to get any cash on the way (due to the machine at Dover station not wanting to give my card back) to exchange for Euros and walked to the center in about 15 mins. Come out of the terminal, turn right and you will see a sign directing you up the ramp and round the car park, walk up this, follow it round, then follow the road over the bridge and keep going. The route is signed.

Ferry
The trip takes 90 mins, beer is £3.20 a pint and hot food reasonable for this type of travel i.e. £7.49 for a choice of 7 items for breakfast.

Check in is 45 min before departure and you will need a passport and the relevant visas depending on your passport – obvious I know but anyone can search Google.

If you have limited mobility or use a wheel chair then you will need assistance to embark and disembark at Calais due to the steep series of ramps that you have ascend/ descend, coming home I saw a few people needing to stop on the way up to get their breath back.

You will be bussed from the terminal at Dover to immigration where you will need to get off show passport and then get back on the bus. Coming back you will be bussed directly to the terminal to walk through immigration. At Calais you will be bussed to and from the terminal, it seems that you only need to pass through immigration on the way out, both French and British and immediately after having your bags x-rayed; you then wait in a departure lounge (read room with seat and toilets) for the bus.

Foot passengers are only accommodated between 08:10 - 19:35 to Calais and 08:30 22:00 to Dover.

Any question, just ask. :)

Oh and if people could list which stations they have success in buying this ticket at it might be helpful to others.

Edit: added HS1 info, last port bus and foot passenger times.

Attachments

• ticket_rtn.jpg
    ticket_rtn.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 232
  • ticket_out.jpg
    ticket_out.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 203
  • calais_bus.jpg
    calais_bus.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 173
  • dover_bus_map.jpg
    dover_bus_map.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 147
  • calais_terminal.jpg
    calais_terminal.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

LondonJohn

Did you go through Stratford International with this ticket on your return because if you did the young girl remembers you, if you didn't there was someone else using this ticket type too.

I have found the staff at Stratford International very helpful with this ticket and when I went back today with the above info re railcard time restrictions they found the info in the manual, printed it out and gave me a copy. They were also going to put up a notice in their office and brief gateline staff about the lack of restrictions which I thought was quite helpful too.

I did this day trip in August with a £6 ferry fare and the cheap SE return from London to Dover and noticed that the timetable for port bus transfers at Dover Priory did say trains, buses and ferries were not timed to connect and indeed I found that the buses were not running to those times on both legs.

If you do a dummy booking on P&O for a day trip on their website you will see the sailing times and ships. The newly launched Spirit of Britain and the new Spirit of France have free wifi and loads of plug sockets bounded around.

Cant agree more about boarding in Calais its like mountaineering.

Thanks to everybody for bringing this trip to the attention of people. Maybe it could be used as a meet up for forum posters at some stage maybe on a Saturday for people with no holiday left until the end of the year.

wintonian

Established Member
Did you go through Stratford International with this ticket on your return because if you did the young girl remembers you, if you didn't there was someone else using this ticket type too.

I did go through Stratford (used HS1) but didn't get off there.

I have found the staff at Stratford International very helpful with this ticket and when I went back today with the above info re railcard time restrictions they found the info in the manual, printed it out and gave me a copy. They were also going to put up a notice in their office and brief gateline staff about the lack of restrictions which I thought was quite helpful too.

Sounds positive.

I did this day trip in August with a £6 ferry fare and the cheap SE return from London to Dover and noticed that the timetable for port bus transfers at Dover Priory did say trains, buses and ferries were not timed to connect and indeed I found that the buses were not running to those times on both legs.

Yep every 20 mins and I think I may have been the last person checked in for the 10:30 having got off the bus and going straight to check in just in time.

If you do a dummy booking on P&O for a day trip on their website you will see the sailing times and ships. The newly launched Spirit of Britain and the new Spirit of France have free wifi and loads of plug sockets bounded around.

2011 timetable

2012 timetable

I ended up on the Pride of Kent both ways. :(

Cant agree more about boarding in Calais its like mountaineering.

Thanks to everybody for bringing this trip to the attention of people. Maybe it could be used as a meet up for forum posters at some stage maybe on a Saturday for people with no holiday left until the end of the year.

I had thought about this, would anyone else be intrested? Might be nice to try a meet thats a bit diffrent, might be able to take the train to Boulogne-sur-Mer or Dunkerque as well.

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
But it doesn't say that on the ticket!

What we have here is a case of Southeastern not wanting this ticket to be valid on their premium service - so premium that it only conveys a single class.

Yes they are valid on HS1 and there is nothing in the relevant section of the manual or on the ticket to even suggest otherwise.

Thanks very much for your report, apologies if I mislead anyone with my earlier post, but it was the issue of Control Tickets that had me and others stumped and led us to believe (wrongly) that only Southeastern could issue the tickets.
Based on your positive experiences I will advise my colleagues.
Thanks again

globetrotter

Having some interest in making this journey, I enquired at a local station whether they could issue the ticket. This station is on Southern and not so far from Eastbourne.

I was informed that they could issue the ticket and the best thing was to purchase a ticket from the local station to either St. Leonards or Hastings plus the ticket from there to Calais H426. And, yes, they could issue both tickets. The price from Hastings to Calais (as mentioned earlier in this thread) is £21.90 before any railcard discounts.

The principle seems to be that after studying the various fare options and where it's permitted by the operator, all one has to do is buy a separate ticket to the closest station served by South Eastern Trains from which there's a valid fare to Calais.

flobo

If anyone in the UK wants to do a day trip in France with this ticket but going farther than Calais, you could use the GrandTER card.

It is available to all for 7€, can be used for a full year (can be made in 5 minutes at Calais-Ville station).

That card can be used every Saturday/Sunday and every single day during the french hollidays, and allow a 50% discount for any train journey in the region.
Moreover, if you are not alone, the other person travelling with the card holder also get a 50% discount.

After that, even better , the third, fourth, and fith people only pay 0.1€, no matter what the journey might be, as long as you travel as a group.

Meaning using both the London-Calais ticket and this card, you could probably spend a day anywhere in the region easily.

For exemple, for Lille (doable within a day, since it's only 30 minutes away using high speed services), regular return ticket fare is 34€.

If you are alone, you pay 17€, 2 people pay 34€, 3 people 34.1€, 4 people 34.2 € and 5 people 34.3€.

LondonJohn

So I went to Stratford International today to purchase this ticket in advance for a journey on 23 January 2012. Came across the same helpful assistant.

She found the fare no problem but said it was £36 for travel on 23 January 2012 and said it was not allowing her to discount the fare with a railcard. She tried to do a ticket for 31 December and it came up with the £22.35 fare and 3 January to find again it wouldnt discount it for railcards. She looked at the manual and saw that railcard discounts were still applicable and printed off a page from, the Manual that showed the period 02 Jan to 19 May.

She entered the details manually inserting a 34% discount and charged me £23.80.

She even remembered the control tickets for both crossings too.

Tickets have the code DISC instead of YP, NSE or GOLDC.

Very impressed with the ladies helpfulness and the fact that she issued the ticket in about 5 mins am wondering why the railcard discount was not automatically added on.

Also any forum members up for doing this as a meet up in the spring ?

wintonian

Established Member
So I went to Stratford International today to purchase this ticket in advance for a journey on 23 January 2012. Came across the same helpful assistant.

She found the fare no problem but said it was £36 for travel on 23 January 2012 and said it was not allowing her to discount the fare with a railcard. She tried to do a ticket for 31 December and it came up with the £22.35 fare and 3 January to find again it wouldnt discount it for railcards. She looked at the manual and saw that railcard discounts were still applicable and printed off a page from, the Manual that showed the period 02 Jan to 19 May.

She entered the details manually inserting a 34% discount and charged me £23.80.

She even remembered the control tickets for both crossings too.

Tickets have the code DISC instead of YP, NSE or GOLDC.

Very impressed with the ladies helpfulness and the fact that she issued the ticket in about 5 mins am wondering why the railcard discount was not automatically added on.

Also any forum members up for doing this as a meet up in the spring ?

Thats good to hear, the only reason the discount shows as 'DISC' is because it has been manually entered, mine from last year do show 'DSB' for example.

LondonJohn

What we have here is a case of Southeastern not wanting this ticket to be valid on their premium service - so premium that it only conveys a single class.

Yes they are valid on HS1 and there is nothing in the relevant section of the manual or on the ticket to even suggest otherwise.

Well I have just left Calais after using this fantastic ticket today and on the P&O Spirit of Britain using their great wifi.

On the train down this morning the On Board Manager said my ticket was not valid on the HS1. I said it was showing him the manual where it said any train and he said there appeared to be a few problems last summer with people travelling to Ashford International and not going on to Calais.

He called his manager who said it wasn't valid and the Dover Ticket office who also confirmed the ticket wasn't valid on the HS1 without purchasing a supplement. I advised him that I thought it was and indeed the Statford International ticket office sold it to me. He went on to remark that the Stratford International ticket office were notorious for selling wrong tickets. He said he would take no action as there was confusion surrounding this but warned me that I might not be so lucky on other trains.

If challenged on the 1844 from Dover to London tonight what can I say to the On Board Train Manager to say this IS valid and what should I do if he says it isn't. Will he just charge me the excess or issue a penalty fare?

On an aside, I'm not sure how much longer these tickets will last as I am wondering if P&O will stop foot passengers on the Dover Calais route.

On the outbound sailing this morning there were 14 foot passengers, 8 on the return but 1 passenger disembarked the Spirit of Britain on its arrival in Calais.

I know that its a Monday in January but I do hope this continues as I have had a brilliant day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just as an update, Train manager didn't even give a second look at the ticket or ask to see railcard. On arrival at Stratford International, ticket didn't work barrier so guy came over and looked at the ticket.. Oh one of those he said, good value they are. Yes I said but lots of confusion I said and explained what had happened. Oh he said well it doesn't say you can use the HS1 it and it doesn't say you can't so we give you the benefit of the doubt he said.....

First class

Established Member
All I can find is this:

Tickets to or from London Terminals which display the 'Any Permitted' route do not entitle you to travel on High Speed services.

However, tickets issued over longer distances e.g. York to Dover etc. which display the 'Any Permitted' route are valid on High Speed service

island

Veteran Member
May I ask where that can be found? And is it brought to customers' attention when they buy?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A reworded version is available on the High Speed page of Southeastern's website:

"The following ticket descriptions entitle you to travel on high speed services:

ANY PERMITTED - in the case of long distance through tickets, i.e. destinations beyond St Pancras."

I agree it is not particularly clear - and I am sure that this restriction is not advised on purchase of Calais tickets (and are arguable thus unenforceable) due to no restriction appearing against the fare in the NFM. (checked in NFM10)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A reworded version is available on the High Speed page of Southeastern's website:

"The following ticket descriptions entitle you to travel on high speed services:

ANY PERMITTED - in the case of long distance through tickets, i.e. destinations beyond St Pancras."

This makes more sense; tickets to London would generally be routed either Plus High Speed or Not HS1 (can't remember the exact wording).

If a ticket is routed Any Permitted and the permitted routes include routes via HS1, then that ticket is valid on HS1. Most, but not all, tickets to/from London (i.e. not "long distance through tickets") wouldn't be routed Any Permitted, which I think is what the blurb is getting at.

The quote posted by LM__ is plain wrong, or misleading at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.