• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Calais fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AFAIK they are only available from Southeastern ticket offices. I read it somewhere in the manual but can't access at the moment. If no-one else finds it I'll find a reference to it when I'm next at work.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I'd quite like to do an old fashioned train/boat hop to Calais or better still Boulogne which is a bit nicer I seem to recal.

I just played on SWT & SET websites but they did not accept Calais or Boulogne as a destination. I may try going to Charing Cross and seeing what they can do fo me, or my local station at Shepperton although as that is SWT they may tell me to go away.

Going on Eurostar to Frethun does not appeal, otherwise I guess I could do STP to Lille, Par or Bru, but day rtns seems to be very dear.

Does anyone recal the "Go French" offers by BR, Seaspeed and SeaLink, you could go by hovercraft or ship both bothways or out by say hovercraft and back by boat. They were very good deals.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I too would be interested to know - surely it falls foul of impartial retailing? :)
If it's a non-basic fare and/or a temporary fare, then they are not obliged to sell it. However if it's a basic, permanent fare then they would be in breach of impartial retailing rules. 'Basic' means it can be paid for in cash and doesn't require a voucher.

wintonian

Established Member
I too would be interested to know - surely it falls foul of impartial retailing? :)

No explanation was given, I enquired about the fare and they sent me a print out from the manual and a latter sating that they do not sell this ticket, I think the words they used were 'unable to' but can't remember for sure.

38Cto15E

I have given up on going from London to Calais on the boat, I am going from Penzance to the Scilly Isles instead, Club55 First class return Paddington to Penzance with railcard, £27.65, Scilly not to.:lol:

This year I will have had Kings Cross to Inverness which I think was £50 First class return and now this one. If it was at the same time it would be Penzance-Inverness first class return with railcard £77.65.:D

LondonJohn

Liverpool Central did sell one about a month ago. Couldn't get any reservations for it though and JourneyPlanner doesn't recognise that Calais is a valid destination, (but STAR does). If Liverpool Central has sold at least one then I imagine other stations will have had more.

It will be London-Dover-Calais... doable in a day...

I suspect any TVM in London will be able to sell to Calais.

I was passing through Stratford International yesterday evening and the fare was not available via a TVM.

I went to the ticket office and a very helpful young lady found the fare from London Terminals to Calais, indeed she remarked that she had sold a couple of these tickets herself. She also advised that SWT should have been able to issue the ticket too. For those that want to travel short, the London Terminals-Calais fare is cheaper than London Terminals to Dover fare.

That said she could not find the part about people travelling on a Network Card fare could get discounted tickets before 10am.

To what document can I refer that advises the reduction in restriction. Whilst I intend to purchase my ticket in advance of travel I dont want hassle trying to get throug the barrier at Stratford International before 10am on a weekday.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
she could not find the part about people travelling on a Network Card fare could get discounted tickets before 10am.

To what document can I refer that advises the reduction in restriction.
The Manual -> Shippiing Links -> France - Calais -> Railcards
The Adult reduced fares shown are applicable to Railcard holders. The Railcard child fares are applicable up to a maximum of 4 children (aged 5 to 15 years) accompanying the holders of Network Railcard, Gold Card, Family & Friends Railcard and HM Forces Railcards. Children accompanying 16-25 and Disabled Persons Railcards must pay the full child fare shown.

Normal conditions apply to all Railcard holders e.g. Network Railcard holders - maximum 4 adults travelling together; Family & Friends Railcard holders must be accompanied by a child and so on. The normal Monday to Friday morning peak travel restrictions on the use of certain railcards (e.g. Network Railcards not before 1000) are waived in respect of Railcard holders (and any accompanying children) travelling on these day trips. A first class supplement is only available to Gold Card holders and that is only at weekends.

Whilst every assistance will be given, Disabled Persons Railcard customers should be warned that as a bus link operates between station and port they may encounter difficulty if in a wheelchair.

bnm

Established Member
I have given up on going from London to Calais on the boat, I am going from Penzance to the Scilly Isles instead, Club55 First class return Paddington to Penzance with railcard, £27.65, Scilly not to.:lol:

£43.45 1st Class with railcard surely?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For those that want to travel short, the London Terminals-Calais fare is cheaper than London Terminals to Dover fare.

Cheaper than the Plus Highspeed fare but £1 more than the Not Valid on HS1 fare though.

Last edited:

38Cto15E

bnm
£27.65 is all I had to pay, out on the 1206 from Pad and returning at 1400 two days later, although you can return more or less when you want within the promotion.

bnm

Established Member
bnm
£27.65 is all I had to pay, out on the 1206 from Pad and returning at 1400 two days later, although you can return more or less when you want within the promotion.

Hmm, interesting. As that is the railcard discounted Standard Class Club55 return fare for Paddington to Penzance. Quite how you got 1st Class for that price I can't work out.

I would love to know myself, I have a relative who wants to make a similar trip across two Club55 zones from Cornwall to London and if they can get 1st Class for the price of Standard then so much the better. I've not found any booking engine errors that offer the Standard Class price as 1st Class as yet.

Where did you purchase and can you scan the tickets and post the image?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Can I buy, for example, a Doncaster to London International CIV ticket to use in combination with this London Terminals to Calais ticket?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Nice... :D

Do you think they dump you in the end cars used for loading/unloading?
I suppose that that is as close as Eurotunnel get to foot passengers.

stut

Established Member
Not sure - haven't used it yet! I suspect it's just a transit van or pickup and you get loaded and unloaded with the other vans.

wintonian

Established Member
Here's the letter I received from SWT in case anyone doubted my memory which is quite reasonable cause it's not always reliable. ;)

Attachments

• swr_letter.jpg
    swr_letter.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 210

wintonian

Established Member
Oh and does anyone think having absolutely no knowledge of the French language would be a problem?

SWT_USER

Possibly, I'm sure they are used to it especially in Calais though. Chances are if you attempt to speak French they will respond in English!

[smug] not a problem for me because I'm fluent in French [/smug]

wintonian

Established Member
Well this morning all 3 pepole in the EMT ticket office at St Pancreas were most unhelpfull and even with a print out from the mannual they didn't want to know, apprently they do not sell ferry tickets even rail shipping links to Dublin are not sold and to go to Calais I would need to buy a ticket from Eurostar.

Went over to FCC very plesent guy never heard of them but with the print out he sold one to me in no time at all and then wanted to know of PRIV discounts were avalible as he thought the price was rather good.

Only my 2nd experience of EMT and both times have been awfull.
I'll explain it like this; I don't mind if someone has never heard of a ticket type, I don't mind if they don't know how to issue it, I don't even mind to much if hey initialy say it can't be done, but when they can't even be botherd to try or try to find out about it then I get a bit peed off!

Incidently the guard on HS1 has also taken a keen and positive iterest in the ticket and its value for money.

Last edited:

SWT_USER

Well this morning all 3 pepole in the EMT ticket office at St Pancreas were most unhelpfull and even with a print out from the mannual they didn't want to know, apprently they do not sell ferry tickets even rail shipping links to Dublin are not sold and to go to Calais I would need to buy a ticket from Eurostar.

Went over to FCC very plesent guy never heard of them but with the print out he sold one to me in no time at all and then wanted to know of PROB discounts were avalible as he thought the price was rather good.

Only my 2nd experience of EMT and both times have been awfull.
I'll explain it like this; I don't mind if someone has never heard of a ticket type, I don't mind if they don't know how to issue it, I don't even mind to much if hey initialy say it can't be done, but when they can't even be botherd to try or try to find out about it then I get a bit peed off!

Incidently the guard on HS1 has also taken a keen and positive iterest in the ticket and its value for money.

What did you show him to get the ticket? Is there a print out I can get from somewhere?

Probably not surprising that EMT don't sell the ticket as SWT don't. Both owned by the same bunch of muppets.

wintonian

Established Member
What did you show him to get the ticket? Is there a print out I can get from somewhere?

Probably not surprising that EMT don't sell the ticket as SWT don't. Both owned by the same bunch of muppets.

Just a print out from the manual.

SWT_USER

How do I get that if I don't have the manual?:D

My only worry is turning up at the station and speaking to someone like you did at the EMT ticket office, I don't know enough about how tickets are issued to confidently argue the point.

radamfi

Established Member
Sounds like the FCC office should be the place to go anyway and forget EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.