• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Station Staff Strike February 5th and 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Harris

When the Senior Operating Officer issues a rule book waiver a record of this decision making process is made and published on the LU Intranet. Even if a request for a waiver is declined you can still see evidence.

Arh, Thanx for that.
Where I used to work a dynamic risk assessment was basically a person using his experience and knowledge to work in a safe manner and get the job done without anything being written down.
But there you wasn't carrying passengers as the job was engineering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Meant to be in the big smoke tomorrow for work, think I might hire a bike :lol:

tripleseis

Yes.

Last strike time, 1hr40 from Euston Square to Old St
I've walked up City Road to Angel many times. Usually takes me no more than 15-20 mins, so perfectly feasible to walk between those two stations in less than an hour.

mrmartin

Any idea when they will publish what services will actually be operating? Is the northern line likely to be running far?

Steve Harris

Any idea when they will publish what services will actually be operating? Is the northern line likely to be running far?

Just taken from https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike#on-this-page-2

Services on Monday 9 January

We will run a limited service on the District, Circle and Hammersmith and City lines, although trains will not stop at all stations
Although National Rail services will not be affected by this strike there will be no Underground services from key interchange stations such as Victoria, King's Cross St Pancras, Waterloo, Paddington, Euston, Bank and London Bridge
We will run shuttle services wherever possible at the end of lines from approximately 0700-1900
We expect no service on:
the whole of the Victoria line
the Waterloo and City line
the Piccadilly line serving Heathrow terminals 4 & 5
Buses in central London are likely to be much busier, particularly on routes offering onward travel from National Rail stations
Roads are likely to be more congested

Tube and Rail

As well as the general travel advice, please note:

No Zone 1 Tube stations are open inside the Circle line boundary
If you are travelling to Canary Wharf from central London, Docklands Light Railway services are running. However they will be busier than usual and may terminate at Tower Gateway. River services will also link central London and Canary Wharf
If you are travelling to the West End, some Circle and District line services are running, however they will only call at a limited number of stations
If you are travelling to Stratford, Docklands Light Railway and London Overground services are running, however they will be busier than usual, especially during the morning and evening peaks
You are advised to check local buses or walk to your final destination. Find bus maps by area of London (or local Tube station). Find walking times between Tube stations
If you are travelling to or from Heathrow airport, we are planning to run Piccadilly line services between Hammersmith and Heathrow terminals 1, 2 and 3. Coach services will run to Heathrow Central Bus Station and Terminals 4 and 5, and national rail services from Paddington will also operate.

Also:

Great Northern services

On Monday 9 January, from the start of service until 0700 Moorgate trains will be diverted to King's Cross (and will not call at Drayton Park, Highbury, Essex Road, Old Street, Moorgate).
From 0700 until 1900 trains will terminate at Old Street (and will not call at Moorgate)
From 1900 until the end of service trains will be diverted to King's Cross (and will not call at Drayton Park, Highbury, Essex Road, Old Street, Moorgate)

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
Nothing about the current service on TfL's status page, just engineering... ¬_¬

NeilWatson

As the TFL site shows a good service on all lines (engineering excluded), does that signify that the strike is ineffectual or that the website is not up-to-date? If I was travelling into London this evening and relying on the website I would assume that my journey would be perfectly normal.

HXX

Victoria line is now closed and many stations are now starting to close

Nym

Established Member
As the TFL site shows a good service on all lines (engineering excluded), does that signify that the strike is ineffectual or that the website is not up-to-date? If I was travelling into London this evening and relying on the website I would assume that my journey would be perfectly normal.

They won't advertise a poorer service until it hits the threshold to be declared as such, and since this is mainly going to result in station closures, the 'service' isn't affected.

NeilWatson

They won't advertise a poorer service until it hits the threshold to be declared as such, and since this is mainly going to result in station closures, the 'service' isn't affected.

Which is utter nonsense (the policy, not your post!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If the TfL site is to believed, the Victoria Line is closed, and just five other stations are closed due to the strike action. I assume that staff who booked-on prior to 6pm are completing their shifts rather than walking-out at 6?

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
If the TfL site is to believed, the Victoria Line is closed, and just five other stations are closed due to the strike action. I assume that staff who booked-on prior to 6pm are completing their shifts rather than walking-out at 6?

Yes - staff will not walk out mid-shift.

The last I heard was that the Northern Line is likely to run Morden to Kennington stopping only at a handful of selected stations, plus High Barnet to East Finchley, Mill Hill branch, and Edgware to Golders Green. The full service will run, but running empty through the closed area. Thus the area of closure could get bigger or smaller depending on staff availability. I stress that this was the plan as of Friday, so may have changed since.

One wonders how Kennington would cope with everything terminating there, and no Victoria Line to take people away via Stockwell. Kennington has two lifts plus a spiral staircase.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Had to smile at the announcement that no stations open within the Circle Line operating area, but that Circle Line trains will be running. Those staff who say how much better the service would be without those pesky passengers will be having a heyday!

mrmartin

Since the trains won't be turning back, will they be running a full frequency?

Will liverpool street central line be running? It's not entirely clear from the announcement.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Since the trains won't be turning back, will they be running a full frequency?

Will liverpool street central line be running? It's not entirely clear from the announcement.

Given it's on the Circle Line, so within that operating area, can't see how it can be.

mrmartin

Does it mean inside or inside *and on* the circle line? This is what I am finding confusing.

Tubeboy

Does that also mean that staff won't walk in mid shift as well, meaning the 'strike' is likely to continue until end of service tomorrow?

The first staff to start work after the strike has ended will be the night turns who book on 2230-2300. There may be patchy services between then and close of traffic. But I wouldn't rely on it.

bramling

Veteran Member
Does that also mean that staff won't walk in mid shift as well, meaning the 'strike' is likely to continue until end of service tomorrow?

Yes exactly right. There will be night turns arriving, but that would not provide enough staff on its own to open up tunnel stations. In theory they could shuffle staff around, but in practice they won't.

Domh245

Established Member
Got to be both, surely?

My inner pedant is saying that assuming the circle line to be the geometric mean of the tracks that form the circle line, just the outer rail will run.

But in answer to the question, I expect that most of the inner circle stations will be closed (as they can be defined as underground) so unless they can be kept open, you probably wouldn't be able to run trains in service.

Nym

Established Member

Indeedy.

I expect that information will be being delivered inconsistently via many different routes yet again.

Last time, it was almost impossible to find a single source of truth, with twitter being the closest without the TfL updates page actually being updated, even this evening the station closures etc. is not correct.
My inner pedant is saying that assuming the circle line to be the geometric mean of the tracks that form the circle line, just the outer rail will run.

But in answer to the question, I expect that most of the inner circle stations will be closed (as they can be defined as underground) so unless they can be kept open, you probably wouldn't be able to run trains in service.

It it's by "Section 12" then around 80% of the "Circle Line" ex. Hammersmith Branch will need to have stations closed without staffing.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

A good service was running at the time you posted, so no nonsense.

Staff don't just walk off half way through; and all the late turns would have started by 18.00, so impact not particularly noticeable until the night turns arrive. Some places do 12 hour weekends (normally starting at 18.30/19.00) but at most locations the night men won't be booking on until gone 10.

NeilWatson

A good service was running at the time you posted, so no nonsense.

Staff don't just walk off half way through; and all the late turns would have started by 18.00, so impact not particularly noticeable until the night turns arrive. Some places do 12 hour weekends (normally starting at 18.30/19.00) but at most locations the night men won't be booking on until gone 10.

My response was to Nym's post 43 which seemed to imply that as long as the trains were running, the mere fact of stations being closed did not require any modification to the definition of 'good service'. To me that is a nonsense!

dk1

Veteran Member
Bus queue building early at Liverpool St.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
South Circle IS running, with skip stops.

I got my wish of basically "This is a, Fast, District Line train to, Ealing Broadway" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.