• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Waterloo - Reading platform extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I am presuming that the Waterloo to Aldershot via Richmond and Ascot service, will continue on to Guildford from Aldershot, so that you still have this service in place?

The Guildford via Aldershot service to Ascot is currently being run by joining two class 456 2car trains together to form one a train and I suspect that this will go over to 5 car class 458/5 operations?

Not unless they train Guildford crews on the 458 stock AGAIN, it'll be the 3rd time if they do, as the traction knowledge lapsed about 2 years ago.

They'll also have to give Guildford crews the route knowledge from Ascot to Waterloo via both routes and Reading and there's no way they'll do that as it will cost them too much money, they've cut everything to the bone, that's why the system collapses when you get something like a fatality.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HeelBurton

Not unless they train Guildford crews on the 458 stock AGAIN, it'll be the 3rd time if they do, as the traction knowledge lapsed about 2 years ago.

They'll also have to give Guildford crews the route knowledge from Ascot to Waterloo via both routes and Reading and there's no way they'll do that as it will cost them too much money, they've cut everything to the bone, that's why the system collapses when you get something like a fatality.

There was talk of Staines signing Guildford - Ascot in that phase program that hasn't gone very far yet?

RobShipway

Established Member

Other than maybe Staines drivers as HeelBurton mentions above, who or what what be doing the Aldershot via Ascot to Waterloo route?

Is there the capacity to have the Guldford - Ascot Shuttle and trains from Aldershot to Waterloo?

HeelBurton

Other than maybe Staines drivers as HeelBurton mentions above, who or what what be doing the Aldershot via Ascot to Waterloo route?

Is there the capacity to have the Guldford - Ascot Shuttle and trains from Aldershot to Waterloo?

Waterloo, wimbledon, Farnham, Staines and strawberry hill sign Waterloo to Reading

Farnham, Guildford, Woking(?) sign Guildford to Ascot. But I'm not 100% sure on this.

Not sure about capacity down that line. It's an every half hour service between Guildford and Ascot. I'm not an expert on that line, have only driven it once under instruction when I learnt 458/0

TEW

Established Member
Farnham and Woking can work Aldershot-Waterloo via Ascot throughout. You might start to run in to problems if you tried to run 2tph Aldershot-Waterloo via Ascot, as well as 2tph Guildford-Ascot. There is the single line from Frimley-Ash Vale, 2 flat junctions at Ash Vale and Aldershot, and you also have to consider platform capacity at Aldershot as 2 platforms are occupied a lot of the time by the Guildford-Ascot services reversing.

FenMan

Established Member
Farnham and Woking can work Aldershot-Waterloo via Ascot throughout. You might start to run in to problems if you tried to run 2tph Aldershot-Waterloo via Ascot, as well as 2tph Guildford-Ascot. There is the single line from Frimley-Ash Vale, 2 flat junctions at Ash Vale and Aldershot, and you also have to consider platform capacity at Aldershot as 2 platforms are occupied a lot of the time by the Guildford-Ascot services reversing.

4tph between Aldershot and Ascot would not be a good use of scarce resources, to say the least. This stretch has to be just about the least used service on SWT's network. It's no coincidence that SWT now uses 2 car trains for much of the day.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
4tph between Aldershot and Ascot would not be a good use of scarce resources, to say the least. This stretch has to be just about the least used service on SWT's network. It's no coincidence that SWT now uses 2 car trains for much of the day.

All of the Guildford - Ascot services are 4 cars (2x456), because Notwork Fail won't allow them to run as 2 cars because of the absolute paranoia that they'll get gapped. Never mind the fact that they ran on the Central division for many years as 2 cars without much problem.

Bigfoot

I suspect that this will go over to 5 car class 458/5 operations?

It is well known that the 450s will return to Guildford to Ascot once the 707s are delivered and the stock shuffle of the 458s back onto the reading road and the 456s for regular 10 car operation on the suburban.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Martins Heron new 10 car platform extensions in pubic use as of this morning. The S board on the up platform has been moved to the end of the new platform, while on the down platform the 8 car stop board is now 8-10 car.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
All of the Guildford - Ascot services are 4 cars (2x456), because Notwork Fail won't allow them to run as 2 cars because of the absolute paranoia that they'll get gapped. Never mind the fact that they ran on the Central division for many years as 2 cars without much problem.

If the central division are so brilliant why did they send them over in a state that'd make a 142 blush? ;)

It's not absolute paranoia; it has happened on several occasions. Remember that when the electrification for that area was designed it was with 2 2-BILs coupled together in mind (as was the staple from electrification in 1939 until the VEPs came along, not that anyone asked) and therefore the gaps are a tad bigger than on the 2-car designed South London lines. Not the mighty Notwork Fail's fault at all; in fact the Southern Failway's.

Sunset route

Established Member
Off topic, the only problem we had on Sussex Route with single class 456s was in the autumn leaf fall season on the Tattenham line, where we used to get quite regularly, now you see now you don't with the track circuits or they couldn't make up up the bank from Tadworth to Tattenahm. Come to think about it they had the same problem on the bank from Horsham to Dorking as well.

Back on topic, er nothing constructive to add lol :lol:

RobShipway

Established Member
Martins Heron new 10 car platform extensions in pubic use as of this morning. The S board on the up platform has been moved to the end of the new platform, while on the down platform the 8 car stop board is now 8-10 car.

Yes, the new extensions looked pretty good at Martins Heron when I went into London on Saturday. It just needs to Osborne to move their portable offices now out of the car park so that things can get back to normal.

Just a little off topic, I saw at about 11:20 this morning what looked like a Network Rail Weed Killing train is this run on the line to Reading on a monthly basis and then run back to London the same day?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just a little off topic, I saw at about 11:20 this morning what looked like a Network Rail Weed Killing train is this run on the line to Reading on a monthly basis and then run back to London the same day?

I think the MPVs that cover that line do a circuit from Effingham Jn, at this time of year it will be leaf fall treatment rather than weed killing. Different modules are fitted for different roles.

Anyone know if they are still crewed by SWT drivers?

Bigfoot

I think the MPVs that cover that line do a circuit from Effingham Jn, at this time of year it will be leaf fall treatment rather than weed killing. Different modules are fitted for different roles.

Anyone know if they are still crewed by SWT drivers?

Certainly are.

Sean Emmett

As a regular user ACT - WAT and ACT - RDG for past year the progress with 10 car plats seems painfully slow.
Good to see new Footbridges going in at Virginia Water and Ascot. At Ascot link between plats 2 & 3 is in.
Permanent fence now appearing on up side of island plat 2. Last used in summer when late eve WAT - RDG crossed to up line but opened doors on left hand side.
Boarding for conductor rail on up line removed.
Also noted works at Whitmoor to boost power supply.

Yes, things have gone very quiet at Feltham and I cannot find any update on the Hounslow council web site. Last I heard there were planning objections, but I can find no evidence of this or proposed dates for any appeals.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As a regular user ACT - WAT and ACT - RDG for past year the progress with 10 car plats seems painfully slow...

It is still just on time though, isn't it? Their target date for completion is May 2017, they didn't formally start on the platforms until April 2016.

Power supply strengthening is a separate project and running to different milestones, it started much earlier, in Jun 2015 but has the same entry into service date as above.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, things have gone very quiet at Feltham and I cannot find any update on the Hounslow council web site. Last I heard there were planning objections, but I can find no evidence of this or proposed dates for any appeals.

The planning objections were overcome, you and I had a bit of an off-topic discussion about it back in September in the Class 707 thread:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=122552&highlight=feltham&page=23

Last edited:
It is still just on time though, isn't it? Their target date for completion is May 2017, they didn't formally start on the platforms until April 2016.

Power supply strengthening is a separate project and running to different milestones, it started much earlier, in Jun 2015 but has the same entry into service date as above.

The planning objections were overcome, you and I had a bit of an off-topic discussion about it back in September in the Class 707 thread:

OK I have now found the page on Hounslow council saying it has been approved although there has been a couple of subsequent amendments in September and November that are still in progress.

It was due to start in January but I doubt it will now.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
OK I have now found the page on Hounslow council saying it has been approved although there has been a couple of subsequent amendments in September and November that are still in progress.

It was due to start in January but I doubt it will now.

There was a funding issue with the Hounslow Road bridge strengthening and widening. However, this has now been resolved. Nevertheless, this work is not now due to start until "Spring 2017" and will take around five months. Only once the work (which requires a complete road closure) is complete will the council allow NR to close the Bedfont Lane level crossing. Given such timescales I can't see the platform extensions being finished before late 2017/early 2018, by which time virtually every train will have been 10 coaches for a few months (unless something goes horribly wrong with the 707 introduction).

Sean Emmett

Travelled from RDG to ACT today. Link between plats 1 and 2 of the new station footbridge at Ascot went in over the weekend and work is well underway with the lift shafts.

Also works apparently underway to upgrade Buckhurst(?) TPH (immediately west of the A329 over bridge) by virtue of new cleared track through the woods.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The base for the new substation at Sunningdale is progressing and the platform extensions look quite near completion.

The planing notices have now been posted on site ( fence next to crossing) with a date in March for final objections.

Sean Emmett

07.29 ex Ascot used the new crossover from UWF to RVL between Clapham Jn and Queentown Rd.
Basically allows trains on UWF to cross over to reversible as soon as stopper has reached Queenstown Rd P2. Taken slowly today, any info re PSR?
There is a 15 mph crossover immediately on leaving Clapham but rarely used, overlap issues? There is a 60 mph crossover on London side of Queenstown Rd.

GW43125

Established Member
07.29 ex Ascot used the new crossover from UWF to RVL between Clapham Jn and Queentown Rd.
Basically allows trains on UWF to cross over to reversible as soon as stopper has reached Queenstown Rd P2. Taken slowly today, any info re PSR?
There is a 15 mph crossover immediately on leaving Clapham but rarely used, overlap issues? There is a 60 mph crossover on London side of Queenstown Rd.

There's also another xover I believe that allows down trains to run from the UWF platform (bidi) onto the DWF without having to swap to the down line/DWS for a brief period.

I believe the new xover you're speaking of is also 60mph.

The one immediately after leaving Clapham does indeed stuff up the overlaps, a train cannot arrive into P3 at the same time as one departs P4 onto the UWS(later becomes WR) using the xover.

Sean Emmett

The extended platforms are now in use at Ascot. Stopping points now at the London end of the station around the new footbridge, which means you get a slightly longer ride on the Guildford shuttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.