• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Waterloo - Reading platform extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Emmett

This week I've not heard the usual announcement leaving Waterloo, Clapham Jn etc on trains bound for Staines and beyond that "Passengers wishing to leave the train at Feltham must be in the front 7 coaches".

8 car slammers fitted in the down platform at Feltham, so it was a surprise that 8 car Desiros couldn't. Until now....

Wots happened?!

But don't worry, I'm still getting plenty of "There is a fault with the door system. Please do not operate an emergency equipment".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

This week I've not heard the usual announcement leaving Waterloo, Clapham Jn etc on trains bound for Staines and beyond that "Passengers wishing to leave the train at Feltham must be in the front 7 coaches".

8 car slammers fitted in the down platform at Feltham, so it was a surprise that 8 car Desiros couldn't. Until now....

Wots happened?!

But don't worry, I'm still getting plenty of "There is a fault with the door system. Please do not operate an emergency equipment".

Doors in all 8 coaches of the 450s do open at Feltham it is only the 458/5s where only the first 7 coaches operate. However I take your point as previously they did indeed operate all 8 coaches of the 458/4s.

I think they moved the stop signs slightly back from the level crossing and that made all the difference. Inspection reveals that all 8 coaches are on the platform but I guess the tolerances are too tight for Health and safety. Or perhaps it is the tolerance on the automatic door opening systems. I think they moved the track side detectors shortly after the service started operating.

Travelling on the 707s this week I notice that the indicators in the coaches warn that the doors in this coach will not open as appropriate.

Last edited:
I have received an email from Hounslow council stating that planing for the new development is almost finished and there would be new information available shortly so it looks like the work at Feltham might start early next year

Bigfoot

I have received an email from Hounslow council stating that planing for the new development is almost finished and there would be new information available shortly so it looks like the work at Feltham might start early next year

Planning reference?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Planned for late May. Work to take around 8 months.

I see that work is due to start on May 29th widening the bridge over the railway at Feltham Station. This is the first stage in the process to lengthen the platforms to 10 car. The bridge works are scheduled to take 10 months. This seems to be quite a long time presumably because some of the work can only take place when trains are not running. Work on the level crossing and platforms will start once the bridge has been widened.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I see that work is due to start on May 29th widening the bridge over the railway at Feltham Station. This is the first stage in the process to lengthen the platforms to 10 car. The bridge works are scheduled to take 10 months. This seems to be quite a long time presumably because some of the work can only take place when trains are not running. Work on the level crossing and platforms will start once the bridge has been widened.
I suppose we should be grateful it’s even starting as suggested in Goldfish62’s post. These things seem to have a tendency to drag on for ever. The previous pages have quite a few much earlier “about to start dates”...

Bookd

I can't understand the timescale, which is not really railway related.
The railway part is to close the level crossing and replace the two footbridges at the west of the station, to extend the platforms. This will clearly involve night work or line closures.
In the meantime it is intended to widen Hounslow Road and the bridge over the railway at the east end, and establish new bus stops next to a new station entrance (or maybe reopening the original one)
It is this part which involves closing Hounslow Road for 10 months, causing chaos for local traffic and for a number of bus services over a wide area.
Work on the bridge would probably rely on a non-operational railway, but as to the rest of the job 10 months to widen half a mile of road must be a lot longer than it took to build it in the first place; if they were to crack on it must be possible to do it more quickly.

The intended work at the west end cannot be started in the meantime, as the level crossing will be the only level pedestrian route open from one side of the railway to the other as the Hounslow Road bridge will be closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.