• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Waterloo - Track defect

Status
Not open for further replies.

TW7

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/alerts.aspx

SWT said:
A rail defect has been identified on a section of track outside London Waterloo. As such one of the lines outside London Waterloo has been blocked meaning that we are currently unable to use Platforms 1-4 at the station.

Following assessement from our team of engineers, it will not be possible to reopen this section of track today (15/06/13). As such, disruption to South West Trains services is expected until the end of service 15/06/13.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
It must be well and truly knackered if Network Rail feel like they cannot rectify the problem today. I have to say I do not envy my colleagues at work this evening or the passengers about to make their way home tonight.

louis97

Established Member
It must be well and truly knackered if Network Rail feel like they cannot rectify the problem today. I have to say I do not envy my colleagues at work this evening or the passengers about to make their way home tonight.

Most likely that the rail temperature is too hot to make it possible to do anything about it right away.

TW7

Buckled rail due to the heat apparently...

I guess that would explain why it can't be fixed today, I am right in thinking there was a heat speed restriction here last week to avoid the rails buckling?

Monty

Established Member
I guess that would explain why it can't be fixed today, I am right in thinking there was a heat speed restriction here last week to avoid the rails buckling?

That's correct, the restriction applies at certain times of the day until further notice as far as I know.

zoneking

Following assessment from our team of engineers, it will not be possible to reopen this section of track today (15/06/13). As such, disruption to South West Trains services is expected until the end of service 15/06/13.

You mean today as in 15/07/13?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Yeah I saw that just before I left work.Missed the fun as I have been on the Reading road all day on my beloved Junipers.:)

TW7

That's correct, the restriction applies at certain times of the day until further notice as far as I know.

Cheers Monty, I know there was quite a bit of media bashing over those speeds last week. Looks like NR/SWT were very much justified doing what they did!

455driver

Veteran Member

But not on that section of track, the 20 was further along and only from the International flyover (Nine Elms) and Clapham jn (2 miles to 3.25 miles), this defect is just outside Waterloo itself (the sleepers have moved sideways) and there is not enough access to the site to be able to do anything with it while trains are running hence waiting until end of service to bash it back into place.

Edit-

Last time there was disruption (fatality at Clapham jn) I complimented control on recovering the service quickly, today they are back to normal, totally unable to make a decision!

Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
Last time there was disruption (fatality at Clapham jn) I complimented control on recovering the service quickly, today they are back to normal, totally unable to make a decision!

I suppose loosing 4 platforms just prior to the start of the evening peak was a new one for them. We have to give them a little slack. ;)

Andrewlong

1845 Clapham Junction to Reading was 7 minutes late tonight. 1850 from Waterloo to Reading was 20 minutes late at Wokingham tonight according to guard down to signalling problems near Waterloo and being held outside Wokingham.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Saw the offending rail myself; obvious where to look from the number of orange jackets working on it - seemed to be the second set of points outside Waterloo ( hence losing 4 rather than 2 platforms ). Not a particularly spectacular buckle - slight but noticable misalignment. Only a short rail length so not enough expansion to do a very noticable twist.

455driver

Veteran Member
I suppose loosing 4 platforms just prior to the start of the evening peak was a new one for them. We have to give them a little slack. ;)

Oh I can give them that (especially which 4 platforms they were and lets not forget the loss of the 2 slow lines as well), there is no way in a million years they can recover from that quickly (or even at all) I am on about the silly little decisions (at a busy through station) such as "shall we put the train in platform 6 into the sidings out the way", so they decide yes we will. The shunters gets the siding ready, I drive the train out, change ends and the signalman informs me they have changed their minds and I am to take it back into the station because another driver is taking it empty to Waterloo (the fact there was an identical train on platform 5 seemed to be lost on them.
Then it was "shall we put the train which is stuck in platform 8 into the sidings out the way because we are running out of platforms", I left work 45 minutes later and they still hadnt made their minds up.

Okay its not a big problem in itself but at one stage every platform had a train (or 2) on it and there were other trains queueing up outside, clearing a platform would have made a lot of difference.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Remarkably this didn't affect me at all today - I was using Clapham Junction as a base for a general bash (mainly 458s between Richmond and Clapham) and managed to make all my planned connections despite the delays - it wasn't until my journey back to Egham that things went awry - stuck behind a Kingston rounder till Twickenham then the TSR up to Feltham! Hats off to the driver though for the very informative announcements...

Certainly saw a lot of frustrated passengers on platforms 3-6 though, and saw a couple of the odd movements/decisions mentioned by 455driver above...

AndyPJG

Saw the offending rail myself; obvious where to look from the number of orange jackets working on it - seemed to be the second set of points outside Waterloo ( hence losing 4 rather than 2 platforms ). Not a particularly spectacular buckle - slight but noticable misalignment. Only a short rail length so not enough expansion to do a very noticable twist.

Whilst travelling to Waterloo 0945ish yesterday (Sunday) there was a line blockage on both up and down main slows from Clapham Jn to Waterloo, with the only activity concentrated in the very same area (the throat to P1-4), and my train diverted to P10.

dmacw

1845 Clapham Junction to Reading was 7 minutes late tonight. 1850 from Waterloo to Reading was 20 minutes late at Wokingham tonight according to guard down to signalling problems near Waterloo and being held outside Wokingham.

The (minor) signalling problem was between Sunningdale and Ascot.

455driver

Veteran Member
Whilst travelling to Waterloo 0945ish yesterday (Sunday) there was a line blockage on both up and down main slows from Clapham Jn to Waterloo, with the only activity concentrated in the very same area (the throat to P1-4), and my train diverted to P10.

There is normally a block on the slow lines on a Sunday morning outside Waterloo, all (mainline side) trains will use the fast lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.