• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London's Worst Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
Guessing that the actual junction was named first (these have a tendency to be more esoterically named - not being “public facing”) and the station name developed from that.
A quick maps check shows Loughborough Park and a named road matching it. No doubt ‘Loughborough’ made a sensible name for the local junction and the station followed.

Whilst I’d support a rename to ‘Coldharbour Lane’ or ‘Brixton East’, it’s a station used mostly by locals who all know it as ‘Loughborough Junction’ and so it’s really not worth the hassle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Can't argue with either Elephant or South Bermondsey, both of which are grim in their own ways. Or indeed Essex Road.

Would also agree that Hendon and Mill Hill Broadway are both bleak, with their location right against the M1.

DM352

No longer exists but North Woolwich over 20 years ago was my worst London experience. Got off the 313 in dark evening to find the ferry and as I exited some possible drugged up stone throwing crazy appeared from the nearby estate. I became a good runner.

Established Member
This is good in theory, but the passageway is far too narrow for something that encourages people to stop and linger

Yep that’s probably a fair comment. The other issue is that the ramp is far too steep for wheelchairs and buggies to use safely.

I gather plans have been approved to build new entrances and lifts to make the station more disabled friendly.

Plans to build new footbridges, lifts and entrances at Hither Green station were approved by a LewishamCouncil planning committee on Tuesday, March 14.

Passengers to the station currently have to rely on stairs to reach its six platforms. While part of the station is accessible by a ramp, it is too steep for wheelchairs.

fandroid

Established Member
Is there any reason (other than political) why all of the "local" stations in London could not be transferred to TfL care and management? There doesn't seem to be any real requirement for the smaller stations to be managed by a train operator.

bramling

Veteran Member
It seems a little harsh to criticise the railway station for the sins of the airport!

Just being located in Luton is bad enough! Horrendous place in every possible respect. As an aside, the town station in Luton would possibly be up for inclusion in this thread were it in London .

Wolfie

Established Member
Is there any reason (other than political) why all of the "local" stations in London could not be transferred to TfL care and management? There doesn't seem to be any real requirement for the smaller stations to be managed by a train operator.
What would TfL gain from managing stations which it provides no service from? It would likely resist as doing so would damage its brand and involve it in significant unbudgeted expenditure to make any improvement since any budget transfer would be solely sufficient to maintain current levels of neglect.

Revaulx

I just don't see that - it is located in a decent area (l lived around the corner for several years), it is well maintained and it has a decent service.
Agreed. I got off there for the first time a few months ago and thought it had a lot of character and wasn’t in the least bit neglected or dismal.

Kingston Dan

I'll put a bid in for Kew Bridge. Unstaffed, basically in the middle of a one way system with it's most scenic attraction the nearby M4 flyover. The pub next to it has improved over the years which is about all you can say in way of improvements.

rapmastaj

When I lived in Brockley, every time we got the train into town I'd look at South Bermondsey station as we swooshed past and marvel at how grim it looked.

So while I can't comment on some of the others, I'd happily add a vote for South Bermondsey.

Jimbo

However, the footbridge is a ludicrous design that allows copious rain onto what must be one of the busiest railway walkways in the country! How its design ever got approval is a mystery to me.
I agree wholeheartedly. If they insisted on keeping it open to the elements (given British weather, I struggle to understand why unless it was the usual cost saving), why on Earth did they clad the floor with shiny tiles that are dangerously slippery in wet/British weather?

Wolfie

Established Member
Once upon a time before its very nice redevelopment, I'd have said Blackfrairs as that station was a horrendous monstrosity. Elephant and Castle is pretty much the last of the London Eye sores as City Thameslink, Blackfriars and St Pancras /King's Cross have all had sprucing up.

Below images are of he old Blackfrairs station.
View attachment 145668
View attachment 145669
View attachment 145670
The new station is practical but l liked the character of the old station which l used regularly for a while.

Anyone know what they did with the wall of "stones" (not sure what they actually were) each showing a historic destination from the old station?

Finsbury Park! I enjoy shifts that are not booked a PNB there.
The station as a whole or poor staff facilities?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A lot of the stations mentioned here seem to have quite decent facilities - good platform canopy cover, booking office etc, which seems pretty good to me.

The old Blackfriars seemed positively luxurious.

If I had to choose a worst London station - Stratford main seemed a bit unwieldy to get around.

stuu

Established Member
Anyone know what they did with the wall of "stones" (not sure what they actually were) each showing a historic destination from the old station?
They are next to the toilets and the lifts (photo shows the historic destinations from Blackfriars):
px04194_800x500-6-sep-2015.jpg

duffield

Established Member
The new station is practical but l liked the character of the old station which l used regularly for a while.

The station as a whole or poor staff facilities?
The "wall of stones" was mentioned and appeared to have been rebuilt in a very prominent position on the new station when I saw it in "The Architecture the Railways Built" (S2E1) a few days ago.
Edit: So another post has appeared, with a photo, while I was typing, of course!

Mikey C

Established Member
A new destination wall would be quite impressive in its own way!

4COR

Another vote for S Bermondsey, but Loughborough Junct is not a bad shout. Streatham might not be far behind.

In days gone, Silvertown was pretty bleak....

bramling

Veteran Member
A lot of the stations mentioned here seem to have quite decent facilities - good platform canopy cover, booking office etc, which seems pretty good to me.

The old Blackfriars seemed positively luxurious.

If I had to choose a worst London station - Stratford main seemed a bit unwieldy to get around.

I suspect in my cases stations are cropping up because of the clientele or general atmosphere. Somewhere like Finsbury Park isn’t a bad station in itself, but add in all the bad stuff that goes on both on the station and in the immediate vicinity and the overall experience nosedives.

The stations between Golders Green and Edgware on the Northern Line are another example of this. All quite nice stations from an architectural and layout point of view, but unfortunately the whole area has turned into something of a dive in the last couple of decades. So somewhere like Edgware station just isn’t a nice place to be now.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Its toilets have already had a dishonourable mention - but I’m going to put in a vote for the overcrowded rabbit warren that is Stratford. OK - there are more depressing places, but few that I’m so pleased to leave!
I love Stratford and for many years it was one of my favourite stations, but the subways between platforms are an exception; they're cramped, overcrowded, dingy and temporary-feeling.

Travelmonkey

I know Barking is a bit Ruff, but getting some TLC,

For me I don't Rate Hendon, squeezed in next to the motorway and then RR buses into central are a bit convoluted,

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I suspect in my cases stations are cropping up because of the clientele or general atmosphere. Somewhere like Finsbury Park isn’t a bad station in itself, but add in all the bad stuff that goes on both on the station and in the immediate vicinity and the overall experience nosedives.

The stations between Golders Green and Edgware on the Northern Line are another example of this. All quite nice stations from an architectural and layout point of view, but unfortunately the whole area has turned into something of a dive in the last couple of decades. So somewhere like Edgware station just isn’t a nice place to be now.

That's a fair point.

Conversely Berney Arms is poor for facilities but a nice location :lol:

Geogregor

I reckon most stations in the Southern/Southeastern metro area due to decline in maintenance and especially the unstaffed/ungated ones where undesirables are free to roam and do as they please

Exactly. South London is full of crap stations which wouldn't be out of place in 1980s Eastern Europe or 1970s NYC.

Old, dirty, dark, not accessible, mostly unmanned and unsafe. The best known to me would be Brixton, Elephant & Castle, Loughborough Jct, Sydenham Hill, Lower Sydenham but we could easily list 20-30 of them.

Especially Elephant & Castle really could do with serious modernization being busy and located in rapidly improving area.

Purple Train

Established Member
Before it was upgraded to an Elizabeth Line station, Action Man Line was right up there with Angel Road for being the worst station in my view. Sitting there for what seemed like hours in pretty grotty surroundings, watching hundreds of trains go past before one eventually stops.
I wouldn't call Acton Yard as scruffy as Angel Road's surroundings, and it's in a much nicer bit of Acton than (say) South Acton.

I don't like Hanger Lane. The underpass through the roundabout to get there is really rather grim, albeit the station itself is alright.

Mikey C

Established Member

Finsbury Park is overcrowded, and has a slightly weird layout inside. The same issues that Stratford has.

There are far worse places than Edgware station!

Status
Not open for further replies.