• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long Eaton to Dockyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjnathanail

1 way
Travelling today on 1351 from Long Eaton
Changing to 1428 at Derby
Then changing again at Plymouth

Is the following combination valid, and the cheapest?

Long Eaton to Birmingham
Off-peak day return
£15.50
Birmingham to Wourcester
Anytime day single
£7.60
Ashchurch to Bristol Temple Meads
Off-peak day return
£8.50
Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton
Anytime day single
£11.70
Taunton to Exeter
Off-peak day single
£10.80
Exeter to Devonport
Off-peak day single
£8.50
Devonport to Dockyard
Seven day season ticket
£2.50

Total £65.10
I know I'm likely to be challenged on this, and I'm happy to fight my corner, but I'm just checking its technically 100% valid. Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pjnathanail

How are you getting from Worcester to Ashchurch?

I think Birmingham to Worcester is valid via Ashchurch
I will be on the fast XC through from Derby, hence the season ticket because the train doesn't stop at Ashchurch
I won't be going via Worcester

Sorry for the confusion, I should have said that

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Birmingham to Worcester via Ashchurch?

Good luck. :D

As for whether it will be the cheapest, it will be until someone finds something cheaper, but until then no one can tell you if there is anything cheaper.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Indeed-I expect a challenge but its valid on map PH
I have checked this and trainscanbecheaper confirms it

Nothing in the easements list to suggest otherwise that I can see. Make sure you have all the maps with you.

cuccir

Established Member
Taunton to Devonport is £17.40 off-peak day single, no need to split at Exeter.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
shouldn't the Birmingham-Worcester ticket be a season to cover this rather than Devonport to Dockyard?

Under NRCoC as long as one ticket is a season then you can split at a station you do not stop at. There is no requirement for the season to be for the part of the journey where this particular split occurs.

pjnathaniel, it looks like a valid set of tickets to me, now that I know about map PH.

pjnathanail

Under NRCoC as long as one ticket is a season then you can split at a station you do not stop at. There is no requirement for the season to be for the part of the journey where this particular split occurs.

pjnathaniel, it looks like a valid set of tickets to me, now that I know about map PH.

That was my understanding too, thanks for confirming
I am expecting a challenge, but that is fair enough
Just got to buy all the tickets now!

455driver

Veteran Member
shouldn't the Birmingham-Worcester ticket be a season to cover this rather than Devonport to Dockyard?

Nope, not until the rules get changed because people are using a ridiculously cheap, irrelevant season (in this case the Devonport to Dockyard season) to bypass the rules.

Yes I know its within the rules but is it the spirit of the rules?
Expect a change sooner rather than later.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I believe that ATOC tried to get 19c amended to prevent this, but the DfT did not approve the change.

khib70

Nope, not until the rules get changed because people are using a ridiculously cheap, irrelevant season (in this case the Devonport to Dockyard season) to bypass the rules.

Passengers making a journey with a perfectly valid combination of tickets? What next. eh?

Apparently they're not obeying some kind of mysterious "spirit" of the rules which mysteriously disappears when you quote them in your frequent anti-passenger outbursts.

:roll:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
AIUI, I can use my Leighton Buzzard - MKC season in conjunction with a LBZ-Z1256 travelcard both routed 'Any permitted' to use on a Virgin service from MKC to Euston, despite the fact Virgin gets none of the revenue. Is that correct?

greatkingrat

Established Member

Is it in the spirit of the rules to penalise people who stop short on an Advance ticket? The TOCs are happy to use the letter of the rules when it suits them so I don't see why the passengers can't do likewise.

pjnathanail

Hold on a minute, you are contradicting yourself
I am bypassing rules by doing something within the rules? That makes perfect sense. Not. :roll:

The price of a ticket (except in the case of fares checking), or the allocation of revenue does not determine validity, the NRCoC and Routeing Guide determine validity. That means some things are permitted which seem unreasonable and some things are forbidden that seem reasonable. I have no problem with the railway using this system, but they cannot have it both ways. They tried any reasonable route, and for some reason changed it to any permitted route. Fine. They cannot then complain when as passengers we actually read the NRCoC/Byelaws/Routeing guide etc and use it to our advantage, and I really don't see the problem you have with that.

Its a contract, its cut and dried. If it says I can do it, I can do it. End of. If they change the rules, that's fine. I will stop.

What I wanted to do would have been totally legal, and the spirit of the law is irrelevant. Try telling the court you were within the spirit of the law, it wouldn't go down very well.

Due to advice I have received via PM I am simplifying my journey to linear splits where the train stops, which should reduce the potential for conflict. However, I am doing this at an additional cost of around £12. Why should I have to? I shouldn't. As I still haven't had a refund from the last time XC rejected my valid ticket, and I don't want to get prosecuted, this is the decision I have taken. Fortunately I delayed my journey by 24 hours due to the level crossing issues.

I am not bypassing the rules, I am following them.

Goatboy

Established Member
Due to advice I have received via PM I am simplifying my journey to linear splits where the train stops, which should reduce the potential for conflict.

Thats a shame, I was interested in how this went. The cost of a Westcountry to Birmingham ticket is astronomical at the best of times courtesy of XC so a way around it was an interesting prospect.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AIUI, I can use my Leighton Buzzard - MKC season in conjunction with a LBZ-Z1256 travelcard both routed 'Any permitted' to use on a Virgin service from MKC to Euston, despite the fact Virgin gets none of the revenue. Is that correct?
You may use these two tickets for one journey, providing one is a Season and the other is not.

Revenue allocation does not determine validity, nor is the information publicly available.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Not if the Travelcard is also a season, just to be clear, but fine with Day Travelcards.

paul1609

Established Member
You would be the first person ever that I have seen use Dockyard Station, Keyham yes, Devonport certainly, Dockyard no!

Birdbrain

Probably too late but you can get a Devon Day Ranger for £10 which will cover you from Tiverton to Dockyard

richw

Veteran Member
You would be the first person ever that I have seen use Dockyard Station, Keyham yes, Devonport certainly, Dockyard no!

I used Dockyard once, many years ago. I was probably between 8 and 12 years old. Travelling from Truro to Gunnislake, and the unit from Truro didnt get to Plymouth until a few minutes after the Gunnislake unit departed.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Probably too late but you can get a Devon Day Ranger for £10 which will cover you from Tiverton to Dockyard

A day ranger wouldn't be the single season ticket needed for the 19C split without calling at changeover points that the OP needed before he revised his plans :(

Status
Not open for further replies.