• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long Marston Wires up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Established Member
Apparently it has been witnessed that at long Marston OHLE is being erected in the vicinity of the Wrote-off Pendo.
There has not been any additional information and I will not jump to any immediate conclusions as this could be anything even just as case of a mans own misinterpretation.
Anyway Fingers crossed this is true and has something to do with the AC loco group and may lead to many new avenues in the year to come.

So speculation or accumulation???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Wrote off Pendolino at Long Marston?? When was that?

Yeah after it crashed it was taken to washwood heath first for storage whilst an investigation was carried out and now the entire set is at LM I think mainly for the purpose of if the case is opened up again or if any vital spares are needed in future (not specifically spares but if any further use for said unit arises).

The_Rail_WAy

Sureley the pendo is'nt a write off!

Are'nt they still 1 down from the Grayrigg incident?

Ilove165's

Sureley the pendo is'nt a write off!

Are'nt they still 1 down from the Grayrigg incident?

I think the Pendo mentioned is the Grayrigg one...

I thought they were going to repair it and return it to service?

Sam

LucaZone

From what ive read, it lost one vehicle that was beyond repair, and as such the unit was considered 'incomplete' and written off and to be used as spares.

Skie

Couldnt they use the spare coaches to lengthen the current fleet on the cheap?

Couldnt they use the spare coaches to lengthen the current fleet on the cheap?
No, each coach in a Pendo is different and you need one of each to operate as a complete train (aside from the 9th car - the 688xx trailer vehicle). Therefore logic says you cannot insert an 'odd' car into an already complete train...you'll be getting error messages even more than at the moment.:lol:

It was always the desire of the LM owners to install a short OHL section (there was an interview in one of last years series of 'Rail Professional') as it allows them to offer 'proper' warm storage facilities for electric locos/units.

Seems ideal for the storage of a fleet of say 50 (well 49 actually-one is rather burnt) to save them getting in the way other other more rateable traction on sleeper trains for example...:lol:;)

O L Leigh

Established Member
I would imagine that the damage is either beyond economic repair (unlikely) or the structural integrity of the vehicle has been compromised, such as a twist in the monocoque. The latter wouldn't necessarily be obvious to the untrained eye, but it would not be safe to allow the vehicle back into traffic in case it had another bump later in it's life.

O L Leigh

The_Rail_WAy

I would imagine that the damage is either beyond economic repair (unlikely) or the structural integrity of the vehicle has been compromised, such as a twist in the monocoque. The latter wouldn't necessarily be obvious to the untrained eye, but it would not be safe to allow the vehicle back into traffic in case it had another bump later in it's life.

O L Leigh

Oh right cheers for the info. Always remeber the Grayrigg incident when Branson said that the Pendo's were "built like tanks" or something. The fact that the train derailed down an embankment at such high speed yet there was only one fatality was simply unbelievable. Maybe had it been an older loco the number of fatalities/casualties and extent of damage could have been far greater.

Alot of people may knock the pendos but, essentially, they are hard as nails!

Phoenix

Established Member
Oh right cheers for the info. Always remeber the Grayrigg incident when Branson said that the Pendo's were "built like tanks" or something. The fact that the train derailed down an embankment at such high speed yet there was only one fatality was simply unbelievable. Maybe had it been an older loco the number of fatalities/casualties and extent of damage could have been far greater.

Alot of people may knock the pendos but, essentially, they are hard as nails!

And to be fair the person in question who passed away was quite frail which although doesn't make situation any better can make it be seen as a non event in the eye's of virgin (although it is still sad).
But yes although virgin did try to play the brave driver card (although he was very quick on his feet) the situation was made alot less worse by everything virgin have done in recent years.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
or the structural integrity of the vehicle has been compromised, such as a twist in the monocoque. The latter wouldn't necessarily be obvious to the untrained eye, but it would not be safe to allow the vehicle back into traffic in case it had another bump later in it's life.

There was a Class 47 that was chosen to be included in the Class 57 reengineering program that was sent away cos it had a slightly twisted frame. The ironic thing is it was discovered until about 11 years after it'd happened or something?

Phoenix

Established Member
There was a Class 47 that was chosen to be included in the Class 57 reengineering program that was sent away cos it had a slightly twisted frame. The ironic thing is it was discovered until about 11 years after it'd happened or something?

Yeah I heard about that one they didn't find out or summat till the very last minute.
It was indeed strange that they only found out 11 years after.

EE Type 3

Established Member
Maybe the wires are going up on behalf of Europhoenix to test the 86s they are doing up for overseas? Considering there are no wires anywhere near Long Marston, would it make sense?

Phoenix

Established Member
Maybe the wires are going up on behalf of Europhoenix to test the 86s they are doing up for overseas? Considering there are no wires anywhere near Long Marston, would it make sense?

Well im sure there is still half the fleet of 87's left also plus the 86's to be tested so yes it should be because of that.
Honestly I think this maybe a chance for ACLG to get something out of this venture like the chance to use the wires to test all of their locos and warm store them also maybe even open days where we get the roarers back for the day.
They got a class 87 out of their current venture and they are a smart company so I am going to keep my eye on this one.

Established Member
Well im sure there is still half the fleet of 87's left also plus the 86's to be tested so yes it should be because of that.
Honestly I think this maybe a chance for ACLG to get something out of this venture like the chance to use the wires to test all of their locos and warm store them also maybe even open days where we get the roarers back for the day.
They got a class 87 out of their current venture and they are a smart company so I am going to keep my eye on this one.

ETL, ETS, ACLG, EuroCan Ltd are all seperate companies remember we were told.

If its Long Marston putting the wires up its likely to be nothing to do with the above, and "37402" is usually right...! And if his prediction of the skoda fleet going there to be stored also comes up trumps I'll have to buy him a few ciders to celebrate!!!

Phoenix

Established Member

If its Long Marston putting the wires up its likely to be nothing to do with the above, and "37402" is usually right...! And if his prediction of the skoda fleet going there to be stored also comes up trumps I'll have to buy him a few ciders to celebrate!!!

Yes they may be different companies but they have major connections to each other and we can't deny that considering that they managed to somehow managed to save one loco from being taken away to bulgaria.
And considering the last open day there had two of the groups loco one of which had just been overhauled by ETL/ETS I put my money on the fact that if these wires are put up the ACLG will get some of their heritage locos under them.

Btw this isn't some attempt at heavy froth before I get accused but the ACLG group have this tendency to not tell anyone anything till the unbeliveable happens.

metrocammel

The fact that the train derailed down an embankment at such high speed yet there was only one fatality was simply unbelievable. Maybe had it been an older loco the number of fatalities/casualties and extent of damage could have been far greater.

It's a fair point, but not necessarily true. Thankfully, the train was, by the time it was at Grayrigg, very lightly loaded. I think, if it had occurred in an area where the train had been full, the casualties could have been far worse.
Also, mk3s, except the buffet cars, have excellent crashworthiness. In 1982, a train crashed at Bushey, Herfordshire, hauled by an 87 (007- City of Manchester if I remember correctly). Most of the train derailed, and some of the mk3s turned over, however, thankfully nobody died, and as a testament to the design of the mk3 coach, not one window broke as a result of the accident (though passengers broke them to escape). I also believe all the mk3s involved in that crash were repaired and put back in service. So, if Grayrigg had involved mk1s (or earlier), then it would have definitely been worse. With Mk3s (or even mk2s), it would have been only slightly worse aesthetically, and I imagine the death toll the same - remember, the elderly lady who died, died as a result of shock, rather than physical injury.

Also remember, you can't always trust what Mr. B says. Afterall, he did commend the driver of the Pendo for 'steering it' to safety :o. Steering wheels must be a top-secret safety feature on Pendo's, that not even cranks are allowed to know about!

It's not ETS any more, it's GeoRail (www.georail.co.uk) so it's obvious there is no link between them and ETL now...:roll:! Whilst the installation of the OHL at LM will certainly benefit the above organisations, it isn't a project funded by them and hasn't been installed solely for their use.

Phoenix

Established Member
It's not ETS any more, it's GeoRail (www.georail.co.uk) so it's obvious there is no link between them and ETL now...:roll:! Whilst the installation of the OHL at LM will certainly benefit the above organisations, it isn't a project funded by them and hasn't been installed solely for their use.

Although It has nothing directly to do with ETL or the ACLG they still had the friendly connections I have been talking about previously.
Without trying to cause offence why do you (with an electric scot headboard for a DP and 87015 (with the name) not want to venture down any avenues which may lead to something great for us leccy fans.
Nothing is going to come from this conversation relating to the subject in hand but as Andrewmay and myself (avid AC fans) says "well can't we dream".

I honestly dare you to invite the idea of running heritage preserved electrics into your lives the both of you!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Although It has nothing directly to do with ETL or the ACLG they still had the friendly connections I have been talking about previously.
Without trying to cause offence why do you (with an electric scot headboard for a DP and 87015 (with the name) not want to venture down any avenues which may lead to something great for us leccy fans.
Nothing is going to come from this conversation relating to the subject in hand but as Andrewmay and myself (avid AC fans) says "well can't we dream".

I honestly dare you to invite the idea of running heritage preserved electrics into your lives the both of you!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
You obviously have no idea what your talking about. Go Away.

As for casting aspersions on myself and Mr 87015 and our interests, it's quite obvious that, again, you have no idea what your talking about. Go Away.

The_Rail_WAy

As for casting aspersions on myself and Mr 87015 and our interests, it's quite obvious that, again, you have no idea what your talking about. Go Away.

Harsh.:|

Phoenix

Established Member

How about you learn some manners im damn sick of you synicle types you do nothing for this forum all you do is moan.
All im trying to do is show some hope and I have made it clear this might not happen so why don't you go away.
You seriously are a rude person if you wasn't on a forum I bet you wouldn't tell me to go away.
I am sorry for assuming about you and 87015 and all im doing is being friendly.
So guess what why don't you say sorry to me as you have gone slightly over the top in being so rude to me when I haven't said a harsh word to you.

My PM box is open............

Phoenix

Established Member
Anyway seen as though this thread is going abit sour.................
all I have to say that I hope my assumptions will maybe become reality and then well 2009 can start becoming even more interesting than it is going to be.
None of what I said is actual facts accept it has been reported OHLE has been noted being erected at LM and that's all.
So just wait for the press releases.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Less of the personal insults - ta

Status
Not open for further replies.