• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long term social distancing: Impact on public life & public transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
. I will take hand sanitiser and a mask, but I will not use the latter unless instructed to do so.

Consider your instruction to be the legislation that was passed on Sunday in that case.

If you want normality to resume, for the love of God just follow the rules for now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder, Captain, that you don't need a legitimate reason. If you want to use the train, use the train! :D
Until late May it was the case you needed a legitimate reason, and yes that did include for mental and physical wellbeing, but as you say that's been superseded now.
That is not what the TOCs are saying.
The message on the TOC but this is the authoritative guidance:

The better TOCs are sticking to that.

The less professional TOCs are misleading people, but what's new?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I found this message on the NR website during disruption today:

Social Distancing: Trains and stations are likely to be very busy during this disruption, which may make social distancing difficult.

Could it be possible to simply enforce masks on trains and advise social distancing, and where this isn't possible, don't enforce this but leave it down to discretion of the passenger as to whether to travel?

MikeWM

Established Member
Do you think it makes sense to avoid completely for the time being then?

Or should I postpone them until later?

Depends, I guess. The reason I found London quite depressing is that it seemed to amplify all the bad things about the last few months - endless 'safety' announcements, endless signage, endless pointless one-way systems, lots of people looking worried and wearing masks. The comparison to the smiling, happy people enjoying their lives on Brighton beach was stark and really quite deflating.

Generally I like London and spent quite a lot of time there, but for now I think I'd rather stick to places where people seem to be a bit cheerier.

For bike rides, however, not much of that would apply, so if you think you'll enjoy it, do it :)

duncanp

Established Member
Saw this article in the paper this morning.

This is just one person's impression of travelling by train for the first time in week.

It is the result of the TOCs constantly telling everyone to f*** off and not travel.

Sooner or later, or when the free money from the government runs out, the TOCs will need to encourage people back on to the railway, but messaging along the lines of "if you are not a key worker, please leave the station" is not exactly going to help

I didn’t know what to expect when I set off by train to Yorkshire at the weekend. I was well prepared, with masks and hand sanitiser, but I wasn’t prepared for the empty trains, deserted stations and, by the time I reached York, overwhelming sense that I’d walked onto the set of a post-apocalyptic drama in which most of my fellow humans had, well... disappeared.

I’d spent lockdown in Brighton and when Boris announced the “support bubble” plan last week I immediately booked a ticket to Harrogate to visit my 91-year-old grandmother.

As I walked alongside the 12-carriage train bound for King’s Cross St Pancras I counted six people. Sat in an empty carriage, I removed my mask (obligatory since yesterday). Platforms at East Croydon, a bottleneck on my previous hectic commute, were empty.

There were bound to be people at Clapham Junction, I thought. Not a soul.

At King’s Cross St Pancras I followed the directional signage through the empty station. I bought a paper at Little Waitrose (one other shopper) and a coffee at the single take-away (three people). On a Saturday of protests in Central London there were more police at King’s Cross than passengers.

A rare passenger at King's Cross

A rare passenger at King's Cross CREDIT: GETTY
Here, the reality of post-pandemic life finally caught up with me. Outside of my Brighton bubble the eerie quiet of usually busy public places coupled with ubiquitous Covid-related notices and constant safety announcements felt unnervingly dystopian. There may as well have been a huge banner draped across the station saying: “You Might Die.”

Waterloo has been similarly quiet

Waterloo has been similarly quiet CREDIT: GETTY
On my LNER train bound for York assigned seating wasn’t available. While a reduced timetable is in place a reservation is mandatory, but passengers are asked to find a safe, socially distanced seat. Easy in an empty carriage. And rest assured if you’re worried about train companies taking cleanliness seriously: they’ve got it in hand.

On a late Saturday afternoon when the station should’ve been thronged with shoppers, York too, was deserted (two other people). I waited by posters advertising summer concerts starring Alfie Bow and Lionel Ritchie.

If the empty trains from Brighton and Kings Cross were odd, the train from York to Harrogate was even more disconcerting. Most seats were sealed off with yellow and black tape. I walked along the train and found a lone passenger in the next carriage who was also staring at the seating. “They’ve made it so we can only sit on one seat in four,” she said, through her mask.

Seats have been taped off by zealous operators

Seats have been taped off by zealous operators CREDIT: TERESA MACHAN
She disembarked at the first stop – Poppleton. From here the train crosses viaducts and snakes across the Vale of York through spirit-soaring rolling countryside filled with sheep and stone farmhouses.

At Knaresborough I was cheered by the sight of walkers and rowers on the river Nidd. The castellated railway viaduct here is a beauty – from its handsome stone arches straddling the Nidd Gorge passengers are afforded a bird’s eye view of the cliff-top town and river below. As we approached the station the conductor announced to the empty train: “We are now arriving at Kan-as-a-bro; Kan-as-a-bro your next stop.”

An almost empty London train carriage

An almost empty London train carriage CREDIT: GETTY
Momentarily confused, I realised he was just having a bit of fun. No tourists – why not? But there was no-one to exchange an acknowledging glance or eye roll with so, in a lonely moment, I had a little chuckle to myself.

Harrogate station was dead. I exchanged pleasantries with the bored-looking barrier gate inspector and looked at the station’s taped-off seats (OK if you’re fit and healthy). I walked to my granny’s via Betty’s Tea Rooms where, in the 40 years I’ve been visiting the town, I’ve never not seen a queue – day or night. Its seasonal window displays are legendary but there was nothing to see today because the blinds were down.

The four-and-a-half hour journey had been a breeze. It isn’t public transport that’s tiring, I realised – it’s delays, wheelie cases and crowds.

I’d take people any day.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

This is just one person's impression of travelling by train for the first time in week.

It is the result of the TOCs constantly telling everyone to f*** off and not travel.

Sooner or later, or when the free money from the government runs out, the TOCs will need to encourage people back on to the railway, but messaging along the lines of "if you are not a key worker, please leave the station" is not exactly going to help

Travelling on the train over the last couple of weeks has felt a bit like being in a giant Edward Hopper painting.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Interesting, and rather disheartening BBC article I came across this morning:

The main concerning bit to me is the “9 new rules for a day out”:

1. Ticket only - Even free museums are looking at introducing online ticketing to ensure that crowding is eliminated. Most places will no longer allow you to just wander in.
  2. Limited numbers - The number of people is going to be strictly limited to allow social distancing.
  3. Viewing points - There will be controls over how and where you can stop and linger.
  4. One-way - We have got used to queuing on marked out points, many museums and galleries will direct where and how you walk around.
  5. Time controls - Tickets will be for set arrival times. Also, some places will have to find a way to move people through a venue, so prepare for limits to how long you will be allowed to linger.
  6. Plastic - Staff will increasingly be protected behind screens.
  7. Toilets - One in, one out will become common. One reason to make visits swifter will be to reassure people who don't want to touch handles, taps or flushes.
  8. Food - Cafes and kiosks will be limited. Bringing your own lunch or booking your food via a phone app will become more common.
  9. Late night opening - With venues having to limit numbers the only way of meeting demand and breaking even will mean that many have to extend opening hours.

It does appear that, whether we like it or not, the government are absolutely insistent on social distancing being neccessary for likely the rest of the year, and these sorts of restrictions will likely be in place until a vaccine in the “new normal”. This certainly doesn’t ease my fears about the economy. Are people really going to go on leisure trips if they have to follow such restrictions, which arguably completely destroy a lot of the enjoyment of a day out? As much as I would love for social distancing to disappear in a few months like many on this forum, it does appear like the government are not going to do this and insist on it being part of the “new normal” (oh how I hate that phrase) until a vaccine, treatment, or herd immunity.

Bikeman78

Established Member

It's just got silly now. It's okay to spend all day milling around in shops but not okay to sit on an empty 12 car train? What do those in authority think will happen? I'm led to believe that the tube is already quite busy (any first hand observations from forum members?) but there hasn't been an explosion of cases.

Bantamzen

Established Member

It does appear that, whether we like it or not, the government are absolutely insistent on social distancing being neccessary for likely the rest of the year, and these sorts of restrictions will likely be in place until a vaccine in the “new normal”. This certainly doesn’t ease my fears about the economy. Are people really going to go on leisure trips if they have to follow such restrictions, which arguably completely destroy a lot of the enjoyment of a day out? As much as I would love for social distancing to disappear in a few months like many on this forum, it does appear like the government are not going to do this and insist on it being part of the “new normal” (oh how I hate that phrase) until a vaccine, treatment, or herd immunity.

Well when the theme park social distancing eithers means falling profits as people stay away, or prices rise because running rides at fractions of their normal capacity become unprofitable, I'm pretty sure they will start to have something to say.

But as you say this micro-management being displayed is concerning, partly because having governments dictate every little facet of our lives moves us closer to a dystopian nightmare, and partly because I wouldn't trust this lot to organise a you-know-what in a brewery. So we could end up without thousands of pages of rules on how to go about your normal day, 99% of which would be totally unworkable.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
"One in, one out" for toilets is a stupid idea. And I'm not convinced we should be encouraging people who "don't want to touch handles, taps or flushes" as it suggests that they won't be flushing the toilet or washing their hands.

Bikeman78

Established Member

Looking at this it seems that queues for the toilets will be likely. Not great with young children as they often announce they need to go at the last second. Standing in a long queue won't work.

Bikeman78

Established Member
"One in, one out" for toilets is a stupid idea. And I'm not convinced we should be encouraging people who "don't want to touch handles, taps or flushes" as it suggests that they won't be flushing the toilet or washing their hands.
If the door opens inwards, how are they going to get out? If someone needs a number two, everyone else will have to wait for ages. It's just ludicrous.

Skymonster

Established Member

You’ve fallen for the classic media bait. This article is all conjecture by the journalist. Note that above the nine rules, it says: “Every one of them will do things slightly differently but here is a list of things you could well experience on a day out.” So it is by no means official policy - not yet anyway.

nedchester

Established Member
Well when the theme park social distancing eithers means falling profits as people stay away, or prices rise because running rides at fractions of their normal capacity become unprofitable, I'm pretty sure they will start to have something to say.

But as you say this micro-management being displayed is concerning, partly because having governments dictate every little facet of our lives moves us closer to a dystopian nightmare, and partly because I wouldn't trust this lot to organise a you-know-what in a brewery. So we could end up without thousands of pages of rules on how to go about your normal day, 99% of which would be totally unworkable.

As I keep saying, the Government can try and put restrictions on as much as they like but when the public have had enough they've had enough.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
As I keep saying, the Government can try and put restrictions on as much as they like but when the public have had enough they've had enough.
I agree, but it seems the significant majority of the public (or at least the vocal ones) are actually in favour of restrictions and social distancing and want this to continue until a vaccine.

nedchester

Established Member
I agree, but it seems the significant majority of the public (or at least the vocal ones) are actually in favour of restrictions and social distancing and want this to continue until a vaccine.

I'd agree but that number will drop as the furlough payments and redundancy notices start flying out the door.

But point taken there is a very unthinking public out there happy to be controlled by government fear unable to think logically.

Class 33

Established Member

If Chris Whitty has his way, we'll be "socially distancing" forever!!!! As he has said a number of times "Social distancing is here to stay now.". But it can not stay for much longer now, if we're to start getting the economy back to normal. It won't be financially viable atall for many businesses in the hospitality and leisure industry and various other sectors to continue ongoing with 2 metre social distancing and much reduced customer volumes.

Boris has said that he is looking at reducing the 2 metre social distancing guidance in time for the next easing of lockdown on 4th July. Social distancing should be scrapped altogether by then, but it won't be. So hopefully at least the 2 metre guidance will be reduced to 1 metre on 4th July. (If they reduce it down to 1.5 metre then that will be absolutely ridiculous and will make hardly any difference). Then August 2nd(or whatever date the next easing of lockdown will be), hopefully the government will see sense and scrap social distancing altogether, so we the British public and all these businesses can start getting back to normal. Although unfortunately I fear the government may keep the 1 metre social distancing guidance until at least the winter.

I too am sick and tired of hearing and reading "The new normal", along with "Social distancing". Hopefully this is surely only a "Temporary normal", and we can soon go back to "The old normal" fairly soon.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If Chris Whitty has his way, we'll be "socially distancing" forever!!!! As he has said a number of times "Social distancing is here to stay now.". But it can not stay for much longer now, if we're to start getting the economy back to normal. It won't be financially viable atall for many businesses in the hospitality and leisure industry and various other sectors to continue ongoing with 2 metre social distancing and much reduced customer volumes.

Boris has said that he is looking at reducing the 2 metre social distancing guidance in time for the next easing of lockdown on 4th July. Social distancing should be scrapped altogether by then, but it won't be. So hopefully at least the 2 metre guidance will be reduced to 1 metre on 4th July. (If they reduce it down to 1.5 metre then that will be absolutely ridiculous and will make hardly any difference). Then August 2nd(or whatever date the next easing of lockdown will be), hopefully the government will see sense and scrap social distancing altogether, so we the British public and all these businesses can start getting back to normal. Although unfortunately I fear the government may keep the 1 metre social distancing guidance until at least the winter.

I too am sick and tired of hearing and reading "The new normal", along with "Social distancing". Hopefully this is surely only a "Temporary normal", and we can soon go back to "The old normal" fairly soon.
I completely agree with all your statements, and I do think social distancing will have to be scrapped at the very latest by winter otherwise the economy simply won’t be sustainable and we’ll face a crisis far worse than Covid.

I do however think that the government are planning for social distancing for much longer. I think the current plan is to reduce to 1m and then maintain this, along with many of the other restrictions, until a vaccine, without considering the economic or social implications of these restrictions. The government seem hellbent on doing exactly what Chris Whitty says without consulting economists, business owners, or other experts. As a result their decisions are very one-sided (completely prioritise the virus over the economy) and my fear is that they plan to continue to do so until a vaccine, which would be the death of the UK economy.

takno

Established Member
I completely agree with all your statements, and I do think social distancing will have to be scrapped at the very latest by winter otherwise the economy simply won’t be sustainable and we’ll face a crisis far worse than Covid.

I do however think that the government are planning for social distancing for much longer. I think the current plan is to reduce to 1m and then maintain this, along with many of the other restrictions, until a vaccine, without considering the economic or social implications of these restrictions. The government seem hellbent on doing exactly what Chris Whitty says without consulting economists, business owners, or other experts. As a result their decisions are very one-sided (completely prioritise the virus over the economy) and my fear is that they plan to continue to do so until a vaccine, which would be the death of the UK economy.
Chris Whitty spent a lot of time early on in this whole thing pointing out that you couldn't just follow the "safest" advice because of the economy. I suspect if he's changed his tune it's because he's been actively instructed to front up like some prophet of doom at every opportunity

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I wouldn't be so sure about social distancing lasting into the winter. Non league football clubs have been advised to plan for a possible start date of early September for next season and the plan is that football fans WILL be allowed into the grounds.

" The National League has been told to plan for the new season to start in September with fans allowed in stadiums, we understand.

The Football Association informed clubs of the government recommendation last week.

But in a presentation to clubs, seen by the DT, the National League said: “However, we need to be cautious, we need to be adaptable, and we may need to consider alternative fixture formats.”

The government is reviewing the return of supporters and the National League has discussed “what capacity and attendance limits might allow the National League to be viable.”

Extra protocols with regards to travelling to matches, changing rooms, showering, toilets and bars have also been discussed."

All hypothetical of course and whether or not a non-league crowd constitutes a "mass gathering" is debatable, but it does suggest certain businesses which would be unsustainable with social distancing in place may be allowed to reopen with less restrictions.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be so sure about social distancing lasting into the winter. Non league football clubs have been advised to plan for a possible start date of early September for next season and the plan is that football fans WILL be allowed into the grounds.

" The National League has been told to plan for the new season to start in September with fans allowed in stadiums, we understand.

The Football Association informed clubs of the government recommendation last week.

But in a presentation to clubs, seen by the DT, the National League said: “However, we need to be cautious, we need to be adaptable, and we may need to consider alternative fixture formats.”

The government is reviewing the return of supporters and the National League has discussed “what capacity and attendance limits might allow the National League to be viable.”

Extra protocols with regards to travelling to matches, changing rooms, showering, toilets and bars have also been discussed."

All hypothetical of course and whether or not a non-league crowd constitutes a "mass gathering" is debatable, but it does suggest certain businesses which would be unsustainable with social distancing in place may be allowed to reopen with less restrictions.

That's certainly excellent news if true.

The non-league club I follow gets around 200 - 300 people through the gate on average, so spreading out is eminently possible.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

My own club, Gateshead FC, have an average attendance of a few hundred, but a stadium with a capacity of 12,000 - social distancing wouldn't be a problem, except in the bar!

The only problem is that if non-league is allowed to go ahead but not any higher division, a lot of supporters of the bigger teams will turn up. So our attendances could grow dramatically. While normally we'd welcome the money from all of the Newcastle and Sunderland fans, it would probably make our crowd more of a mass gathering!

Skymonster

Established Member
Chris Whitty spent a lot of time early on in this whole thing pointing out that you couldn't just follow the "safest" advice because of the economy. I suspect if he's changed his tune it's because he's been actively instructed to front up like some prophet of doom at every opportunity
He did? Early on? I recall he being the soothsayer of doom, predicting that 80% of the population might get the virus if we didn't lock down. Even now, quoting The Mirror from two days ago "Senior ministers fear the top scientists advising the Government could quit over plans to ease the two-metre rule. Professor Chris Whitty, the popular Chief Medical Officer, and Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance have made it clear they believe the current guidance on safe distancing should stay."

In my opinion, politicians paying too much attention of Whitty and other scientists while ignoring the other issues such as the economy and the population's mental welfare is what has caused us to be in such a great big mess now. And it seems those scientists are still hell bent on causing more mess. The best thing that could happen right now is Whitty and Vallance disappear and are replaced by "experts" with a more pragmatic and broader view of what needs to be be done, which includes reducing the social distancing guidelines.

baz962

Established Member
It's just got silly now. It's okay to spend all day milling around in shops but not okay to sit on an empty 12 car train? What do those in authority think will happen? I'm led to believe that the tube is already quite busy (any first hand observations from forum members?) but there hasn't been an explosion of cases.
Don't know about the tube . Thameslink are quiet , but don't have seat's taped off and there are sometimes more than just one or two people. The Overground though , at certain times of the day can be busy , especially around 5pm . Was quite busy on Saturday , when I got on the train at West Hampstead.

On Moderation
He did? Early on? I recall he being the soothsayer of doom, predicting that 80% of the population might get the virus if we didn't lock down. Even now, quoting The Mirror from two days ago "Senior ministers fear the top scientists advising the Government could quit over plans to ease the two-metre rule. Professor Chris Whitty, the popular Chief Medical Officer, and Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance have made it clear they believe the current guidance on safe distancing should stay."

In my opinion, politicians paying too much attention of Whitty and other scientists while ignoring the other issues such as the economy and the population's mental welfare is what has caused us to be in such a great big mess now. And it seems those scientists are still hell bent on causing more mess. The best thing that could happen right now is Whitty and Vallance disappear and are replaced by "experts" with a more pragmatic and broader view of what needs to be be done, which includes reducing the social distancing guidelines.
In other words, replace them with scientists who agree with your viewpoint?

Scrotnig

No, just ones that can see the bigger picture and don't simply demand indefinite lockdown and the complete closure of the economy regardless of cost.

Skymonster

Established Member
That's not what I said. I said "The best thing that could happen right now is Whitty and Vallance disappear and are replaced by 'experts' with a more pragmatic and broader view of what needs to be be done..." If you can't accept that social distancing rules need to be relaxed, that's up to you but I think you'll find need to do so is becoming overwhelming as has been said many times already in this topic. That Whitty keeps in insisting on it merely discredits him further.

anthony263

Established Member
Social distancing needs to end soon I'm a bus driver and my passengers are getting fed up as am I.

Too be honest I'm getting to the strange of just sticking too fingers up to the welsh government and ignoring lockdown.

Mind you especially around Bridgend people are already doing g that

Status
Not open for further replies.