• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest non stop run in the UK? (and Europe if anyone knows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

thewiltog

I would think they ended with the withdrawal of steam as I don't think there is a way of switching drivers on a diesel/electric train by putting it in auto pilot.

This may be of interest - coming up on Talking Pictures TV:-

Thu 28 April 2016 15:25 BFI: Elizabethan Express 1954. Factual. Directed by Tony Thompson. An account of the first journey by the new Elizabethan Express service from London to Edinburgh. The world’s longest non-stop daily to average 60 mph.

Also on youtube I think

backontrack

Established Member
For South West trains I think its Waterloo to Winchester.
I'm not sure if Southern still have any Brighton flyers anymore, so it might be Victoria to Haywards heath or something.
GWR I'd have thought it would be Reading to Exeter.
GTR perhaps the Cambridge flyers?
GA probably London to Ipswich. I think all the Norwich trains call there? Although perhaps Norwich to Ipswich might be further?
Southeaster, probably St Pancras to Ashford, although I'm not version I if that's a thing.
ATW I'd guess it would be one of the longer stretches on Gerald or whatever its called.

These are not definite, but only what I can remember pf the top of my head.
I'll have a go...

VTEC = London-Newcastle
VTWC = London-Preston (from May, London-Warrington Bank Quay)
GA = London-Manningtree (I think)
GTR = London-Cambridge
Southeastern = Stratford International-Ashford International
ATW = Hereford-Shrewsbury (or perhaps Cardiff-Llanelli?)
TPE = Lockerbie-Haymarket (will be Morpeth-Edinburgh)
Northern = Chathill-Alnmouth?
SWT = London-Winchester
GWR = Reading-Exeter
CrossCountry = Newcastle-Edinburgh
ScotRail = Kingussie-Pitlochry (or perhaps Aberdeen to Montrose, or Stonehaven to Arbroath, or Haymarket to Leuchars or Dundee?)
Caledonian Sleeper = Watford Junction-Carlisle
EMT = Leicester-London
Eurostar (domestic) = London-Ashford
c2c = I have no idea whatsoever

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'll have a go...

VTEC = London-Newcastle
VTWC = London-Preston (from May, London-Warrington Bank Quay)
GA = London-Manningtree (I think)
GTR = London-Cambridge
Southeastern = Stratford International-Ashford International
ATW = Hereford-Shrewsbury (or perhaps Cardiff-Llanelli?)
TPE = Lockerbie-Haymarket (will be Morpeth-Edinburgh)
Northern = Chathill-Morpeth?
SWT = London-Winchester
GWR = Reading-Exeter
CrossCountry = Newcastle-Edinburgh
ScotRail = Kingussie-Pitlochry (or perhaps Aberdeen to Montrose, or Stonehaven to Arbroath?)
EMT = Leicester-London
Eurostar (domestic) = London-Ashford
c2c = I have no idea whatsoever

AGA's 1700 departure from Liverpool Street is non-stop to Ipswich:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L81097/2016/04/25
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is there still a Preston to Euston non stop?

No, the Up non-stop services went when the 1030 and 1230 Euston-Lancaster services were extended through to Glasgow in about 2012.

Previously these had returned as Lancaster-Euston services in the normal calling pattern, enabling the Glasgow-Euston services they shadowed to be accelerated - I recall these were the 1558 and 1758 Euston arrivals (1140/1340 off Glasgow), with the Lancaster bounce-backs following them in at about 1607 and 1807.

NSE

Established Member
c2c would probably be the non-stop runs to Benfleet. I can't recall any that are fast to Leigh. How about London Overground? Do they run any services which skip any stops?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
c2c would probably be the non-stop runs to Benfleet. I can't recall any that are fast to Leigh. How about London Overground? Do they run any services which skip any stops?

I think there is one late evening service non-stop Liverpool St to St James St/Walthamstow Central

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Nope - first stop is Warrington (unadvertised), but even that may be trumped by scheduled ECML diversions where they run non-stop Wembley Yard - Doncaster.

ScotRail = Kingussie-Pitlochry (or perhaps Aberdeen to Montrose, or Stonehaven to Arbroath?)

The 16.41 Glasgow QS to Aberdeen runs non-stop QS to Perth. (obviously not at the moment though)

Last edited:

RailAleFan

Might be a bit rough around the edges as still getting to grips with the schedule feed but I created a database of most non-stop links sortable in descending order by distance (as the crow flies between stations), duration, and from those average speed.

Exceptions are where I don't have location data for stations, or the schedule contains a timing anomaly that I haven't yet got to the bottom of but should give some idea of the longest routes overall or by TOC.

If the non-stop timetable links show no results that's because the result derived from a schedule record that is not active for the current Mon-Sun period.

http://www.railalefan.co.uk/rail/nonstop/

najaB

Veteran Member
Might be a bit rough around the edges as still getting to grips with the schedule feed but I created a database...
You got my hopes up there, but you're using the NRE data, and I'm trying to use NR's. Nice work though!

Master29

Established Member
Ah. I thought all London to Newcastle on Tyne services called at York as a minimum. But I could well be wrong!

I`ve never known London to Newcastle non stop.

OK. A bit red faced. I stand corrected The 05:40 Edinburgh - Kings Cross. Take some beating that one

Last edited:

SeanG

I'll have a go...

Northern = Chathill-Morpeth?

There are a number of stations, the principle one being Alnmouth, between Chathill & Morpeth.

I'd wager the 30 miles between Settle and Kirkby Stephen, followed by the 24ish miles between Derby & Chesterfield

Kite159

Veteran Member
Waterloo - Winchester is probably beaten by the current Sundays Clapham junction - Salisbury non-stop runs (79 miles, 49 chains). Although it will regain its place when the XX:45s call at Andover. Although the clapham call is pick up only so advertised at Waterloo as "Salisbury only".

I would say for SET it will be one of the evening peak services which runs nonstop from London Bridge to Rochester.

London Overground, the Saturday morning Hackney Central to Seven Sisters via South Tottenham I would say (or the evening peak Liverpool Street to Hackney Central services)

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I`ve never known London to Newcastle non stop.

OK. A bit red faced. I stand corrected The 05:40 Edinburgh - Kings Cross. Take some beating that one

Well technically there is no London to Newcastle (Northbound) non stop run as the 05:40 Edinburgh - Kings Cross is Newcastle to London (southbound)

;)

SouthDevonian

In complete contrast to the Beijing- Shanghai time of less than 5 hours for over 1,000km, mentioned earlier, in 1963 I went on a train from Calais to Chiasso (on the southern Swiss border) that was non-stop to Lugano. It took about 20 hours to cover the over 1,000km journey.

In the late 1950s/early 1960s, before package tours to southern Europe started to use planes, tourists travelled to their resorts mainly by coach but some went by train. These trains were chartered throughout the summers by an organisation called CTAC who acted on behalf of various tour operators. The package holiday I went on to Italy involved trains & boat between London Victoria and Chiasso. The route from Calais was via Lille yard (where the steam loco was changed for an electric), Metz, Basle (Immigration & Customs checks) and the St Gotthard. Return was by the same route to Basle but then via Nancy, Amiens (change from electric to steam) to Boulogne Maritime. Again there was no passenger stop between Lugano & the French channel port. The journeys through northern France were overnight in each direction and passengers were provided with couchettes.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Longest non stop Chiltern is Warwick Parkway-London Marylebone?

I've not checked the timetable in it's entirety but I'm 99% sure it's Leamington Spa to Marylebone these days. It's still 89 miles. There are plenty of Banbury - Marylebone (69 miles) and Bicester - Marylebone (55 miles) runs throughout the day too.

itfcfan

According to The Man At Seat 61 the 00:35 Trans Siberian runs non stop from Moscow to Perm which is 1,397 km and takes a very leisurely 26 and 3/4 hours over it.

Thats just 52 km/h or 30 odd mph in old money. I can't believe they don't stop somewhere, perhaps many times, for it to be that slow, but that is what the website says.

http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm#.VxuoBPkrLIU

The timetable showing that journey on Seat 61 is just a summary. That train (and most long distance Russian trains) stop fairly frequently (in terms of distance, sometimes it can be several hours between stops):

http://pass.rzd.ru/timetable/public/en?STRUCTURE_ID=704&layer_id=5370&refererLayerId=5354&train_num=044EI&numtrain=044%D0%AD&src_code=2000000&departureDate=27.04.2016&firstStation=Moskva%20Yar&lastStation=Khabarovs%201

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Re the G1 Beijing train it does the 1044KM non stop to Nanjing in only 3h39m. The whole journey to Shanghai Hongqiao is 1318 KM and that takes 4h 48m including the stop at Nanjing. I was on the very slightly slower G13 a few weeks ago and it really shifts -304km/h about an hour or so once outside Beijing.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
For Northern a few years back they had 38m68c in the booked timetable for a non stop run from Brough to Doncaster while the Goole route was unavailable due to the Hatfield landslide.

headshot119

Established Member
ATW does a Shrewsbury-Newport non-stop run (94 miles): 1V93 0830 Llandudno-Cardiff.
The WAG Express also did this until recently, but a Hereford stop has now been inserted.

The WAG has had stops at Hereford on the morning trip for at least three years now.

tractakid

Nobody has mentioned London Midland. I would assume it's Northampton to Euston with two non-stop services, though there's no northbound equivalent.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Off the top of my head I'd guess that for Scotrail it's probably Haymarket to Leuchars.

I'll have a go...

Good guesses but:

The 16.41 Glasgow QS to Aberdeen runs non-stop QS to Perth. (obviously not at the moment though)

I think we have a Scotrail winner. Glasgow Central to Troon was the best alternative I could come up with.

Glasgow - Perth 62 1/2
Haymarket - Leuchars 49 3/4
Kingussie - Pitlochry 43
Aberdeen - Montrose 40 1/2
Stonehaven - Arbroath 38
Glasgow Central - Troon 35

At 70 1/4 miles the proposed fast Aberdeen - Dundee services would take the crown if they were run completely non stop.

RailAleFan

I've added a distinct toc sort option to save having to go through them...

http://www.railalefan.co.uk/rail/nonstop/?toc=ZZ

ATOC feed, public timing, distances as the crow flies...

VIRGIN TRAINS EAST COAST
Newcastle to London Kings Cross (245.78 miles)

VIRGIN TRAINS
London Euston to Preston (Lancs) (188.40 miles)

GRAND CENTRAL RAILWAY
York to London Kings Cross (172.78 miles)

GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY
Reading to Exeter St David's (122.74 miles)

HULL TRAINS
Grantham to London Kings Cross (97.69 miles)

CROSSCOUNTRY
Newcastle to Edinburgh (91.93 miles)

EAST MIDLANDS TRAINS
London St Pancras International to Leicester (87.12 miles)

FIRST TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS
Glasgow Central to Carlisle (84.98 miles)

CHILTERN RAILWAYS CO.
Leamington Spa to London Marylebone (78.91 miles)

ARRIVA TRAINS WALES
Shrewsbury to Newport (South Wales) (78.41 miles)

SOUTH WEST TRAINS
Clapham Junction to Salisbury (75.97 miles)

ABELLIO GREATER ANGLIA
Ipswich to London Liverpool Street (64.18 miles)

LONDON MIDLAND
Northampton to London Euston (59.17 miles)

GREAT NORTHERN
London Kings Cross to St Neots (48.75 miles)

SCOTRAIL
Glasgow Queen Street to Perth (48.27 miles)

SOUTHEASTERN
Stratford International to Ashford International (47.30 miles)

NORTHERN RAIL
Oxenholme Lake District to Preston (Lancs) (37.91 miles)

SOUTHERN
East Croydon to Brighton (East Sussex) (37.84 miles)

C2C
Chalkwell to West Ham (28.68 miles)

THAMESLINK
London St Pancras International to Luton Airport Parkway (26.20 miles)

GATWICK EXPRESS
London Victoria to Gatwick Airport (23.43 miles)

HEATHROW CONNECT
London Paddington to Ealing Broadway (5.42 miles)

TFL RAIL
Romford to Ilford (5.01 miles)

ISLAND LINE
Ryde St Johns Road to Brading (3.27 miles)

LONDON OVERGROUND
Seven Sisters to Edmonton Green (3.01 miles)

Iskra

Established Member
I've added a distinct toc sort option to save having to go through them...

http://www.railalefan.co.uk/rail/nonstop/?toc=ZZ

ATOC feed, public timing, distances as the crow flies...

VIRGIN TRAINS EAST COAST
Newcastle to London Kings Cross (245.78 miles)

VIRGIN TRAINS
London Euston to Preston (Lancs) (188.40 miles)

GRAND CENTRAL RAILWAY
York to London Kings Cross (172.78 miles)

GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY
Reading to Exeter St David's (122.74 miles)

HULL TRAINS
Grantham to London Kings Cross (97.69 miles)

CROSSCOUNTRY
Newcastle to Edinburgh (91.93 miles)

EAST MIDLANDS TRAINS
London St Pancras International to Leicester (87.12 miles)

FIRST TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS
Glasgow Central to Carlisle (84.98 miles)

CHILTERN RAILWAYS CO.
Leamington Spa to London Marylebone (78.91 miles)

ARRIVA TRAINS WALES
Shrewsbury to Newport (South Wales) (78.41 miles)

SOUTH WEST TRAINS
Clapham Junction to Salisbury (75.97 miles)

ABELLIO GREATER ANGLIA
Ipswich to London Liverpool Street (64.18 miles)

LONDON MIDLAND
Northampton to London Euston (59.17 miles)

GREAT NORTHERN
London Kings Cross to St Neots (48.75 miles)

SCOTRAIL
Glasgow Queen Street to Perth (48.27 miles)

SOUTHEASTERN
Stratford International to Ashford International (47.30 miles)

NORTHERN RAIL
Oxenholme Lake District to Preston (Lancs) (37.91 miles)

SOUTHERN
East Croydon to Brighton (East Sussex) (37.84 miles)

C2C
Chalkwell to West Ham (28.68 miles)

THAMESLINK
London St Pancras International to Luton Airport Parkway (26.20 miles)

GATWICK EXPRESS
London Victoria to Gatwick Airport (23.43 miles)

HEATHROW CONNECT
London Paddington to Ealing Broadway (5.42 miles)

TFL RAIL
Romford to Ilford (5.01 miles)

ISLAND LINE
Ryde St Johns Road to Brading (3.27 miles)

LONDON OVERGROUND
Seven Sisters to Edmonton Green (3.01 miles)

What is this service please and why doesn't it call at Lancaster?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Northern's longest non-stop runs are in fact ecs workings! Various runs between the Manchester area and Chester are over 40 miles but the longest are the transfer moves between Yorkshire and Heaton depot. The morning up working is currently booked non-stop from Newcastle Central to York (80m 16ch) and given the time of day will likely not get held up en-route.

Status
Not open for further replies.