• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANWP Tom

Also based on recent observations the ex London refurbs look to be initially operating 16s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
Low 1** numbered singles to go as well, maybe linked with the order probably around that many older ones

I'd like to think Wright would be making the double deckers with ADL producing the single deckers. We'll just have to wait and see unfortunately. A 200 bodied B8RLE... interesting!

Not personally a fan of the Enviro 400 City but the new Envrio 200 is nice, same front obviously...

SpeedbirdA350

I assumed that LB would sell the Enviro 400s it has in its fleet quicker than the others anyway as they only have 15 of them. I assumed that LB want uniformity with 100% Wright/Volvo. I know they are undergoing changes within the E400 but they do seem out of place IMO. Not a fan either.

In other news, I made it on to the StreetAir bus a few days ago but I have to say I was not that impressed. So small (wasted space on the bus too) but you'd expect an electric bus to be so much quieter than it is. Even when it pulls away from a bus stop it's not quiet (outside). Ive heard some EVs move and they are silent (close on) but these are far from that. Very dissapointing.

takno

Established Member
I assumed that LB would sell the Enviro 400s it has in its fleet quicker than the others anyway as they only have 15 of them. I assumed that LB want uniformity with 100% Wright/Volvo. I know they are undergoing changes within the E400 but they do seem out of place IMO. Not a fan either.

In other news, I made it on to the StreetAir bus a few days ago but I have to say I was not that impressed. So small (wasted space on the bus too) but you'd expect an electric bus to be so much quieter than it is. Even when it pulls away from a bus stop it's not quiet (outside). Ive heard some EVs move and they are silent (close on) but these are far from that. Very dissapointing.
Externally there is an increasing drive to add irritating noise for the benefit of blond people, so that could be the reason

SpeedbirdA350

I thought that might be the answer, however the tram is far quieter. Yes, that has a bell but bus has horn and could have had a less irritating sound. Still, inside the bus is noisy when it really should be quiet.

SpeedbirdA350

I think Takno had a 'blonde' moment and meant Blind people (or visually impaired) lol ;). Well that's what I assumed anyway.

takno

Established Member
Blonde people?
Definitely blind people. I'm blaming the autocorrect on my phone...

The point of the added noise is to help blind people (and people who forget to look) avoid walking in front of cars. They plan to make it mandatory on electric vehicles running at low speed, cutting out around 20mph where the noise of the tyres on the road becomes loud enough to hear. On balance it's probably a good thing, but it definitely reduces one of the key benefits of electric vehicles.

I don't know if that is what is making the buses loud. On the face of it if they are adding the noise afterwards there's really no need for a bus to be any noisier than a car, which should be a lot quieter than a normal bus. The hybrids running on electric mode are definitely much quieter than other buses though.

overthewater

Established Member
What on earth are Lothian playing at with these coach tours? its not adding anything new or extra to what is already an overcrowded market place, while some of the tours are just meh and dont give you a full range: The only BIG plus for this is, Lothian are undercutting people by as as £20...

Here are some of the other companies doing Day tours from Edinburgh:

* https://www.rabbies.com/en
* https://www.nessbus.com/tour/
* https://www.haggisadventures.com/
* https://www.scottishtours.co.uk/tourindex.asp
* http://graylinetours.com/
* https://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/our-tours/

And that not them all.... Really what is the deal?

takno

Established Member
If Lothian are undercutting the competition by 20 quid and still reckoning on making a profit then isI have thought it's obvious what they are bringing to the market

oldman

A lot of the competition use minibuses which can be pretty cramped so there is a bit of a difference. I guess they are testing the market while the private hire side builds up, which will take time.

I see the Cairngorm tour is described as Departs: 0815 Returns: 1800 (approx) Duration: 7 hours 30 minutes so you get a time-warp as well.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Lothian are currently in possession of the the Yutong Electric demonstrator vehicle at the moment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150668149@N02/40967541420/in/feed

Would appear to have been on 1s today. I know Lothian have a contract with Wright but they've already ordered ADL vehicles, and perhaps these vehicles will be more attractive since they have a much better capacity compared to the StreetAirs.
I believe these are the same as they have in Nottingham on the Park and Ride services. If so, the seats on them are horrendous! Worse than what you would find on the Volvo 7900.
Sam

SpeedbirdA350

This bus was with Arriva NW last year. Video is on YT of it below. IMO It seems like there is far less wasted space on this bus thus more seats but I can't see LB actually buying them. I do wonder if Wright will make a longer version of around 12m of the StreetAir to match the size of the 7905LH or sort out the capacity some other way. Or perhaps Lothian will buy the double deck version of it.

overthewater

Established Member
Why are they always needing drivers? It would see there getting disperite.

https://twitter.com/JCPinCentreScot/status/1007627602369146880
PCV Driver opportunities with @on_lothianbuses in #Falkirk and #Grangemouth Speak to your Work Coach in the Jobcentre to be booked onto an information session on the 18th and 19th June 2018. See attached image for further details. #FalkirkJobs

TLZTzwQ.jpg

Steamysandy

This suggests they are looking for PCV drivers in the Falkirk and Grangemouth area.Preparation to take over another chunk of First Bus territory?

OmniCity999

Established Member
I'm now been led to believe the order for 42 ADL bodied vehicles is all for single deckers. With Wright continuing to build double deck vehicles.

Long wheelbase (like 10051-10065) B8RLE Chassis/Engine. Enviro 200 style body with this style front end rather than the "City" front end.

Attachments

• sssssss.png
    sssssss.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 51

goldisgood

I'm now been led to believe the order for 42 ADL bodied vehicles is all for single deckers. With Wright continuing to build double deck vehicles.

Long wheelbase (like 10051-10065) B8RLE Chassis/Engine. Enviro 200 style body with this style front end rather than the "City" front end.
You sure about this? Never been a ADL/Volvo single decker before, and the Enviro 200 front is closer to the City front than the Enviro 400 front.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Been told it's a totally new product being created to Lothian's spec. The above is what i've been told. It will be on a Volvo Chassis.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

overthewater

Established Member
This suggests they are looking for PCV drivers in the Falkirk and Grangemouth area.Preparation to take over another chunk of First Bus territory?

No.
At a push maybe livingston, but again that is pushing it, but the company are always looking for drivers...

OmniCity999

Established Member

Companies everywhere are struggling to find drivers, this seems like an initiative to find staff. I can't see another Lothian expansion for the time being unless First WL pull out.

overthewater

Established Member
I dont know how, many are getting £10 an hour, which is better than places like Amazon...

overthewater

Established Member
They may feel it will be difficult to get their license or the hours dont work for them, many may not have a license at all...

The hours cant be any worse than Amazon, 4-5 days with 12 hours shifts. and many companies will train you to drive the buses now adays.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Hearing runours of 15 X Gemini 3 (FOTF) bodied B5TL's for ECB to replace 20795-20800 & 10101-10107. In turn allowing 10051-10065 / 10195-10199 to carry out X5's, 106's/X7's, 139's and 140's.

Allowing 20937-20950 & new doubles to run on 104's, 113's & X24's/124's. And the open Scanias that were rumoured to be used on the 'East Coast Tour'. Also hearing that 20942 may be used on this service. Could be all utter rubbish. A friend of mine at the Wright Factory mentioned seeing East Coast Busee branded parts.

Would be nice to see 20937-20950 have USB points added to match any new doubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.