• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Interesting note tonight is vehicles in service with tracker numbers 3051/3052/3053. on the X5/106 and out of service.

My initial thought was that 10051-10065 were being re numbered to make space for the next batch of B5TL's which are said to start at 1051.

However, having looked at various tracking systems, 10051-10053 were all in service today on various routes as were "3051-3053" at the same time (except 3053).

My thought now is that these may be 10101-10107 receiving trackers. Did anyone see 10101-10107 on the 106/X5 today?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthSub

I noticed a few double-decks on usually single routes this morning - two 20s and a 63. Is there a shortage? I thought the 21 going over to doubles would give them spare singles.

It's been common for a while now for one of the evening 63s to be a double decker. The single decker can be busy at peak times so it may just be due to demand?

alexf380

Established Member
New B5TL no.1054 was caught moving between Seafield works and Marine depot, just along the road, with CE depot code. Could this be an inclination that this batch may be destined for the 31?

Lothian_Bus

New B5TL no.1054 was caught moving between Seafield works and Marine depot, just along the road, with CE depot code. Could this be an inclination that this batch may be destined for the 31?
Very possibly. Other Central routes can't be ruled out but the 31 seems most likely.

I noticed that bus 959 has been now been repainted in the same way as 399 and 400, thus removing the Morningside Maisie branding. I wonder if the plan is to convert all of 951-960 back to Standard branding?

AJW12

Very possibly. Other Central routes can't be ruled out but the 31 seems most likely.

I noticed that bus 959 has been now been repainted in the same way as 399 and 400, thus removing the Morningside Maisie branding. I wonder if the plan is to convert all of 951-960 back to Standard branding?

I believe this is the plan for the Maisie batch eventually, since it's now the only city route really to have route branding now, and it keeps all the liveries consistent.

Slight shame though, I liked the livery. Since the author of the Maisie books sadly died earlier this year it'd be nice if they were to repaint them, to put her name on one of them in memory.

CM

Can somone please provide a link to the website that allows you to track Lothians fleet? Google doesn't show any results.

Thanks.

Lothian_Bus

I believe this is the plan for the Maisie batch eventually, since it's now the only city route really to have route branding now, and it keeps all the liveries consistent.

Slight shame though, I liked the livery. Since the author of the Maisie books sadly died earlier this year it'd be nice if they were to repaint them, to put her name on one of them in memory.
Bus 951 has also been repainted so looks like they all will be sooner rather than later.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Brand new Gemini 3 bodied Volvo B5's 1051-1054 will enter service at Central this week - possibly even from tomorrow.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Discussion: Is there a need for a launch? A large number of Lothians fleet didn't get a 'launch'. It's only those vehicles that are used for route branding or that hold certain environmental qualities that get such a reception.

These are standard B5TL's that don't look like they are going to be based on a specific route so personally, i'd say a 'launch' isn't necessary. They may well end up on a specific route, but Lothian aren't making a fuss about them, after all they now have over 100 vehicles of the same type in the fleet.

SpeedbirdA350

Lothian never put a release out when the ex London B9's came up, or entered service so why for the new B5's? With that said, the ex London B9's, they look a little smaller than the B9's we have in the fleet at the moment. Is it just me or are they?

I'd say however the only reason for a "launch" or such, would be if there were something special about the buses, for example new tech being used, ie the electric buses.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Lothian never put a release out when the ex London B9's came up, or entered service so why for the new B5's? With that said, the ex London B9's, they look a little smaller than the B9's we have in the fleet at the moment. Is it just me or are they?

I'd say however the only reason for a "launch" or such, would be if there were something special about the buses, for example new tech being used, ie the electric buses.

The ex London B9's are 10.4m and our 'native' B9's are 11.4m. Hearing from Lothian spokesperson it's only 12 new doubles for central for the time being 1051-1062 and 'starting' on service 8, but did not say dedicated to service 8. When the ex London B9's entered service, i'm sure they posted about it on social media, it want a launch but i'm sure it was mentioned.

Last edited:

SpeedbirdA350

I know it was mentioned in the chipshop rag, but I can't recall anything from lothian themself. I thought they were a little smaller, thanks for confirming that. I thought I was loosing the plot for a minute lol. But even then, the buses from London were not exactly breaking news.
1055, 56 and 62 are sitting near gullane 1058 near Dunbar. 1059, 60, 61 in Musselburgh with 1051, 2, 3, 4 and 7 at Marine. According to the tracker anyway. Confused why 3 are near gullane as it's not a road you'd take a bus... trackers in a box?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Its all very confusing.

Essentially the tracking system cant display more than 4 digits so 10051-10065 were assigned 1051-1065.

Now that those fleet numbers are to be used, or at least partly, 10051-10065's trackers were renumbered to 3051-3065. But currently some of 10051-10065 may hold two tracker numbers for instance 1064 and 3064, its just duplicated until they are used on new buses.

The ones you see 'off Gullane' are actually parked in NB depot (or in 'the cage' at the back), the location they show is their trackers 'home' position.

Only 1057 is at Marine, the others are at Seafield works. And the ones at Seafield works are all new buses. Any at central arent the ECB Eclipses, they'll be new buses.

SpeedbirdA350

Thanks Omni, you're certainly right when you say it's confusing but I guess designing a system that can only hold 4 digits was a little bit limitating. You'd think it would be easy with a software update for them to go from 4 to 5 digits. That said, I guess lothian won't be hitting service numbers 3000+ so seems safe enough.

Can I ask Omni, with the fleetsheet that you post up regularly, if you can pass sugestions over to the author? (I'm not really on facebook) but it would be helpful to know the sizes of the buses, as earlier I was questioning the ex London B9s.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Thanks Omni, you're certainly right when you say it's confusing but I guess designing a system that can only hold 4 digits was a little bit limitating. You'd think it would be easy with a software update for them to go from 4 to 5 digits. That said, I guess lothian won't be hitting service numbers 3000+ so seems safe enough.

Can I ask Omni, with the fleetsheet that you post up regularly, if you can pass sugestions over to the author? (I'm not really on facebook) but it would be helpful to know the sizes of the buses, as earlier I was questioning the ex London B9s.

There is a suggestions button on the website where the list is held. I'm also an author of the list and the website where it is held. Suggestions can be made there - leave something that allows us to get in touch with you to notify you about the progress of your suggestion, that could even be your screen name for this website, or any other social media really.

All of Lothians doubles are between 11.3m-11.5m with the exception of the London B9s which are 10.4m. But leave a suggestion on the website if you'd like length to be included. We all work as well as maintain the list so its dificult to remember things!

SpeedbirdA350

I have just done that Omni, I have to admit that I never seen the button before. Guess it was right under my nose the whole time.

Thanks for the extra info too :)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Its all very confusing.

Essentially the tracking system cant display more than 4 digits so 10051-10065 were assigned 1051-1065.

Now that those fleet numbers are to be used, or at least partly, 10051-10065's trackers were renumbered to 3051-3065. But currently some of 10051-10065 may hold two tracker numbers for instance 1064 and 3064, its just duplicated until they are used on new buses.

The ones you see 'off Gullane' are actually parked in NB depot (or in 'the cage' at the back), the location they show is their trackers 'home' position.

Only 1057 is at Marine, the others are at Seafield works. And the ones at Seafield works are all new buses. Any at central arent the ECB Eclipses, they'll be new buses.
Sorry if I'm sounding really stupid here, but why on earth do Lothian need 5-digit fleet numbers? With the likes of Stagecoach and First, I can understand having a single UK-wide fleet numbering scheme. How many vehicles do Lothian actually have in total?

Established Member
Hearing from Lothian spokesperson it's only 12 new doubles for central for the time being 1051-1062 and 'starting' on service 8, but did not say dedicated to service 8.
The routes at Central aren't allocated buses like they used to be, so pretty much any decker can turn up on any route, with the Lothian Country and Airlink buses being the exceptions.
The Enviro hybrids (and diesel conversions) tend to be on the 10, but it's not unusual to find one or two on other routes.

When the ex London B9's entered service, i'm sure they posted about it on social media, it want a launch but i'm sure it was mentioned.
I guess because it's just the first two with the relatively minor refurb, so there isn't any real point in making much of a fuss about them.
I wonder if there might be a bit more publicity about the rest of them turning up.

AJW12

Aren't there supposed to be 30 in the batch?

Maybe they're being split between depots or they're just pushing them out as and when they arrive.

Lothian_Bus

1052 operating the x44 tonight. Possibly it's first journey? Love the smell of a new bus. :)

Last edited:

Lothian_Bus

I don't see the USB ports where they normally are. Perhaps still to be added?

The monitor must take the same feed as the 26 as the message 'Your new 26' is still showing on these buses.

Last edited:

Established Member
1051 onwards are fitted with alcohol interlock systems, requiring a breath sample every time the bus is started and during changeovers.

Should be fun when they fail, especially if there's a false positive.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Status
Not open for further replies.