• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
One of the problems with East Coast Buses is the issue of fare zones. A ticket from Dirleton to North Berwick, a seven-minute drive, costs £2.70 for an adult. If two adults are travelling together, that becomes £5.40.
If I had access to a car and wanted to take a short journey in a fairly rural area then for the most part I wouldn't even think to use the bus if it was free. For 2.5 miles I'd probably walk to be honest, although I appreciate people's fitness levels and health may vary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
If I had access to a car and wanted to take a short journey in a fairly rural area then for the most part I wouldn't even think to use the bus if it was free. For 2.5 miles I'd probably walk to be honest, although I appreciate people's fitness levels and health may vary.
I'd probably walk too, but sometimes there might be other issues e.g. weather.

Steamysandy

First shot themselves in the foot the minute Grampian as it was took over the 124 and associated routes by raising fares by 20% or so without notice.
I was working in North Berwick at the time and remember it clearly.
The fares had some other anomalies eg Longniddry to Preston pans was almost as dear as Preston pans to Edinburgh!
Another oddity till recently at least was that the fare from say Musselburgh to Longniddry was much lower on the then 128 bus operated at that time by Eve( now Prentice 111)than the same distance on the 124 by First !
No wonder it was known as worst bus!

Last edited:

oldman

The fares had some other anomalies eg Longniddry to Preston pans was almost as Cesar as Preston pans to Edinburgh!

Now Longniddry-PP is the same as Longniddry-Edinburgh and more than PP-Edinburgh. Likewise Ormiston-Tranent = Ormiston-Edinburgh and > Tranent-Edinburgh. Its a result of the very low flat fare as far out as PP and Tranent. The same was true even back in First days - a sharp step up as soon as you crossed the LB frontier.

Having said that most of the fares out in the country aren't too bad, just a lot more than those in the LB zone.

Steamysandy

You bet it was a sharp step up!
I was told this story by a long retired driver.
A woman got on a bus on main Street Longniddry and asked for a single to Edinburgh.The driver told her the fare which was the country fare so she then asked if she could get a ticket from St Germain's Level Crossing which was the LB boundary so it was the flat fare.The driver said yes so she said can I get a single to St Germain's.
She nearly exploded when she was told that the 3\4 mile or so would cost nearly as much as the fare all the way into Edinburgh shed been quoted originally!!

Last edited:
It's been a few days since they're up, but I spotted these on VOSA (is this the right synonym to use?):

• Registration number PM0000002/440
  • Licence Number PM0000002
  • Variation number 0
  • Status Registered
  • Service number. X99
  • Service type Limited Stop
  • Start point St Andrew's Square, Edinburgh
  • Finish point Queensferry, Edinburgh
  • Via West End, Barnton
  • Date received 29 Mar 2018
  • Effective date 10 May 2018
  • End date 07 Sep 2018
  • Supported by subsidies? No
  • Local authorities covered by route The City of Edinburgh Council
  • TAOs covered by route Scotland

• Registration number PM0000002/441
  • Licence Number PM0000002
  • Variation number 0
  • Status Registered
  • Service number. X90
  • Service type Normal Stopping
  • Start point St Andrew's Square, Edinburgh
  • Finish point Hopetoun House
  • Via West End, Barnton
  • Date received 06 Apr 2018
  • Effective date 19 May 2018
  • End date 20 May 2018
  • Supported by subsidies? No
  • Local authorities covered by route The City of Edinburgh Council, West Lothian Council
  • TAOs covered by route Scotland

The 2nd one looked weird because the registration says it only lasts one day. Or should I trust this?

OmniCity999

Established Member
The latest version of the Lothian Group fleet list is available here:

https://goo.gl/ES1eEG

Lothian Buses, East Coast Buses, Edinburgh Bus Tours, Lothian Country, Lothian Heritage, Lothian Training and Lothian Coaches all included.

Depot and route allocations also included.

Feel free to share elsewhere.

We're also playing around with a small forum type thing if you feel like trying it out. We're looking for people to test it.

Rob

Last edited:

SpeedbirdA350

Does anyone know when Lothian will be getting the other half dozen or so all electric buses for the 1 route? I'd have assumed they'd have arrived by now but so far they only have the 6. I also assume that is why fleet numbers 290-299 are not used.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Does anyone know when Lothian will be getting the other half dozen or so all electric buses for the 1 route? I'd have assumed they'd have arrived by now but so far they only have the 6. I also assume that is why fleet numbers 290-299 are not used.

I believe the order has been cancelled and has been for some time.

overthewater

Established Member
There were absolutely useless size wise, and the company know this before they hit the road, with the amount of comments during the open day,

Lothian_Bus

There were absolutely useless size wise, and the company know this before they hit the road, with the amount of comments during the open day,
Yes that seems a sensible decision to cancel the order. Service 1 needs some double deckers at times so those buses did seem way short of what was required.

overthewater

Established Member
The only routes those buses may be useful on are the 20, 38, 63 or 69.. mind you, those routes are party paid for by the council.

oldman

I noticed a few double-decks on usually single routes this morning - two 20s and a 63. Is there a shortage? I thought the 21 going over to doubles would give them spare singles.

Lothian_Bus

I noticed a few double-decks on usually single routes this morning - two 20s and a 63. Is there a shortage? I thought the 21 going over to doubles would give them spare singles.
The 21 and 49 both operate out of Marine and were effectively swapped so that the 21 had double deckers and the 49 moved to single deckers. The 20 and 63 both operate out of Longstone but I would be surprised if there was a shortage of single deckers.

SpeedbirdA350

I have not been on one yet but they do not look like they are the 10.9m longest version. Does anyone know the size of them? I think it's safe to assume that Lothian won't be axing the electric project but I wonder therefore if they would be going with the double decker street air, or perhaps go for the 10.9m longer version of the SA.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I have not been on one yet but they do not look like they are the 10.9m longest version. Does anyone know the size of them? I think it's safe to assume that Lothian won't be axing the electric project but I wonder therefore if they would be going with the double decker street air, or perhaps go for the 10.9m longer version of the SA.

They are short. Don't know their length, but they only have 27 seats! 27!

They'd be ideal for the 6, 61, 69 and 20. They are regularly used on the 1, 6, 24.

I believe they are currently looking at a number of alternative fuel methods. If Volvo did a gas chassis i'm sure they'd trial it on a Wright body. They are definitely staying with the Wright/Volvo or entire Wright option though. No swaying to other brands. They are keen to have the fleet standardised as much as possible.

Lothian_Bus

The latest version of the Lothian Group fleet list is available here:

https://goo.gl/ES1eEG

Lothian Buses, East Coast Buses, Edinburgh Bus Tours, Lothian Country, Lothian Heritage, Lothian Training and Lothian Coaches all included.

Depot and route allocations also included.

Feel free to share elsewhere.

We're also playing around with a small forum type thing if you feel like trying it out. We're looking for people to test it.

Rob
I saw bus 713 operating on the x33 this evening. Not sure if all x33's operate from Longstone but on the assumption they do then it appears 713 (and presumably 714) have moved from Central with the arrival of 1001 and 1002.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I saw bus 713 operating on the x33 this evening. Not sure if all x33's operate from Longstone but on the assumption they do then it appears 713 (and presumably 714) have moved from Central with the arrival of 1001 and 1002.

yeah - these moves happened after the list was uploaded unfortunately.

OmniCity999

Established Member
A friend seen 3 X unregistered Gemini 3 / B5TL's down at Seafield today and a further two on the M77 in full Lothian livery. Looks like the next batch will be in service before the 25 B9's from London!

AJW12

Have we any idea which route these new B5TLs will be going on yet?

I believe the 50 B9s are close to being ready but they're being very highly refurbished so are taking quite a long time! Not quite the same as the Go North East ones recently which I believe had their central doors removed and got a repaint but that was pretty much it before service.

Lothian_Bus

I believe the 50 B9s are close to being ready but they're being very highly refurbished so are taking quite a long time! Not quite the same as the Go North East ones recently which I believe had their central doors removed and got a repaint but that was pretty much it before service.
I would be very surprised if service 31 didn't have new buses by the end of the year.

OmniCity999

Established Member

No word on a dedicated route for the next B5TL's. They may just goto a depot and be used on various routes.

1001/1002 (Thornton Bro's refurbs) are in service, 1003/1004 (First of the Wright rebuilds) are in Edinburgh. A large proportion of the B9's that are being rebuilt are in bits at Wright. There are at least 12 of them outside Wright, still in red with the centre doors, blinds, seats and other bits removed, awaiting work. I imagine it'll be some time yet.

I believe the next batch of B5's will be here in time for the Royal Highland Show, similar to last year.

AJW12

No word on a dedicated route for the next B5TL's. They may just goto a depot and be used on various routes.

1001/1002 (Thornton Bro's refurbs) are in service, 1003/1004 (First of the Wright rebuilds) are in Edinburgh. A large proportion of the B9's that are being rebuilt are in bits at Wright. There are at least 12 of them outside Wright, still in red with the centre doors, blinds, seats and other bits removed, awaiting work. I imagine it'll be some time yet.

I believe the next batch of B5's will be here in time for the Royal Highland Show, similar to last year.

Ah. Thanks for that. I wonder if they'll just dribble the B9s into service as they arrive or wait for them all to come back from Wrights.

I would be very surprised if service 31 didn't have new buses by the end of the year.

I forgot about that - when the new 26s were launched they did mention in a press release that the Corstorphine Road corridor was a dirty air zone and that "the last service along the road would be upgraded to Euro 6" so yeah. I'd imagine so.

I'd also seen rumours about new stuff for the 25.

Lothian_Bus

Ah. Thanks for that. I wonder if they'll just dribble the B9s into service as they arrive or wait for them all to come back from Wrights.

I forgot about that - when the new 26s were launched they did mention in a press release that the Corstorphine Road corridor was a dirty air zone and that "the last service along the road would be upgraded to Euro 6" so yeah. I'd imagine so.

Yeah the 25 must be a contender as well as the 44 which is currently running with a very old fleet including several tridents. It ran with a newer fleet in 2005 when it's Gemini's were brand new! :)

OmniCity999

Established Member

Not 100% sure, but i think the 25 (Marine) may be receiving the next batch of B5LH's (Hybrids) as 571-590 were originally for the 25 before the 300 was created and they were dedicated to Skylink duties. There has also been talk internally of this being the case.

Possibly the next batch of B5TL's going to Central for the 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.