• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I’ve noticed that Lothian have re-uploaded more Route familiarisation videos on YouTube.

looks like they want their drivers to re-familiarise some of the routes they might not have worked in months.

Drivers from all garages are required to do all of the routes at the moment (except SD drivers obviously with just the 1/20/24/30/38/48/63).

I believe more are coming back off the job retention scheme soon so these videos will help them.

buslad1988

For those interested from next change (21st June) the ‘DriverHub’ at Shandwick Place will now come into use for certain duties. Some shifts will start/finish or have breaks there with changeovers at relevant stops nearby.

Company are saying it’s to aid with social distancing (agreed it’s practical). However causes some parking issues for drivers.

Central will still be only city garage open so not expecting a drastic increase in service levels (possibly reduced Sunday service).

OmniCity999

Established Member
For those interested from next change (21st June) the ‘DriverHub’ at Shandwick Place will now come into use for certain duties. Some shifts will start/finish or have breaks there with changeovers at relevant stops nearby.

Company are saying it’s to aid with social distancing (agreed it’s practical). However causes some parking issues for drivers.

Central will still be only city garage open so not expecting a drastic increase in service levels (possibly reduced Sunday service).

I believe the idea is that drivers would travel in by bus to start/end shift, during Covid, this isnt all that helpful.

It is however ideal for scheduling as it allows split shift staff to finish their first shift and have somewhere to go.

Having an increase in service means an increase in drivers, not all drivers can be accommodated at central due to this so its ideal.

Believe it will primarily be used for drivers on services that travel along Shandwick Place but will also allow drivers on services going down Queensferry Street and Lothian Road. Will be ideal for ECB drivers.

buslad1988

I believe the idea is that drivers would travel in by bus to start/end shift, during Covid, this isnt all that helpful.

It is however ideal for scheduling as it allows split shift staff to finish their first shift and have somewhere to go.

Having an increase in service means an increase in drivers, not all drivers can be accommodated at central due to this so its ideal.

Believe it will primarily be used for drivers on services that travel along Shandwick Place but will also allow drivers on services going down Queensferry Street and Lothian Road. Will be ideal for ECB drivers.
Agreed it’s not very helpful (or practical) for some drivers to travel by bus. Also this announcement came after the next batch of volunteer drivers agreed to return. Probably not the best way to keep all drivers ‘on side’ so to speak!

Didn’t Richard Hall want to make this a permanent base anyway? This is a good opportunity for them to trial it out. At some point Longstone and/or Marine will need to be reopened before too long.

With the government telling tourism businesses to plan for 15th July restart expect tours to commence limited operation then too?

OmniCity999

Established Member
I assume they'll be getting their buses back soon with the amount of EC buses at Central, some now with assault screens?

Hopefully from the next changes East Coast will get theres back, that's the idea, Lothian Country wont be too far behind.

We've been preparing alot of stock to return.

Tartanarmy85

I think lot LCB will definitely I live just past blackridge and commute regularly to the X18 great service suited me connection other Lothian service and was always busy times I used

We've been preparing alot of stock to return.
What's involved in preparing vehicles for service after 2 1/2 months?
Have the vehicles which haven't been in service since March (eg 200-215) been inactive the whole time or have they been started and moved occasionally?
Also out of interest, how much additional milage have the active vehicles done, compared to the inactive ones?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Have the vehicles which haven't been in service since March (eg 200-215) been inactive the whole time or have they been started and moved occasionally?
Also out of interest, how much additional milage have the active vehicles done, compared to the inactive ones?
the only vehicles out of service since March are the B7s, the Longstone/Marine based B9TLs, Centrals 833-885 and the 04/55/07/57 plate B7RLEs. all the rest are/have been out in the last month or two

also mileage wise the active buses would likely get a standard day’s mileage while the inactive ones have 0 mileage so idk what you’re asking with that

CN04NRJ

Established Member
the only vehicles out of service since March are the B7s, the Longstone/Marine based B9TLs, Centrals 833-885 and the 04/55/07/57 plate B7RLEs. all the rest are/have been out in the last month or two

also mileage wise the active buses would likely get a standard day’s mileage while the inactive ones have 0 mileage so idk what you’re asking with that

The 58 and 60 plate B7RLEs (except for 162/163 with ECB), 11-33, 201-215, 416-437, 331-350, 381-400 and 499-509 have been out of use also since March.

That's in addition to the ones initially used in early April that have also been parked since (e.g the London B9TLs).

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The 58 and 60 plate B7RLEs (except for 162/163 with ECB), 11-33, 201-215, 416-437, 331-350, 381-400 and 499-509 have been out of use also since March.

That's in addition to the ones initially used in early April that have also been parked since (e.g the London B9TLs).
i covered 331-350/381-400/951-960/1141-1153 when i said all the Marine B9s
never knew 11-33 have been off the road since i thought a good amount of the 14 plates had been out

Bus9120UK

Established Member

Services with minor timetable changes: 1, 34, 106, 124, X27

Services with revised timetables: 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 14, 16, 19, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 37, 38, 47, 48, 49, Airlink 100, 113, 43, X18

Services with revised route and timetables: 2, 7, 41, 49, 140, X28, 400

Service 2

Route extended to operate between Hermiston Gait and The Jewel.

Service 7

Route extended to Western Harbour on Monday to Saturday daytime, evening and Sunday journeys will continue to terminate at Newhaven.

Journeys towards Western Harbour will divert via Easter Road due to Tram construction works.

Service 41

Revised timetable with the route extended to operate between Cramond and Kings’ Buildings.

Service 49

Route extended to Fort Kinnaird. On journeys to and from The Fort, buses will no longer access the car park at Asda The Jewel and will continue along Milton Link instead.

Journeys towards Fort Kinnaird will divert via Easter Road due to Tram construction works.

EastCoastbuses 140

Route extended to operate between Musselburgh and Penicuik Town Centre on Monday to Saturdays.

Lothiancountry X28

Monday-Saturday daytime frequency increased to every 30 minutes between Bathgate and Livingston. Short-working buses will terminate at Livingston Morrisons.

East Calder, Mid Calder and Edinburgh will continue to be served hourly.

Skylink 400

Route extended to operate from Fort Kinnaird to Gyle Centre.

The following services are not altered: 20, 44, 63, 139

The following services do not operate: 6, 10, 12, 23, 36, 42, 45, 61, 67, 200, 300, X12, X15, X25, X26, X29, X31, X33, X37, X44, X47, N3, N7, N11, N16, N22, N25, N26, N30, N31, N34, N37, N44, 104, 125, 126, 127, X5, X7, N106, N113, N124, X17, X38, X43, EX2, 275, 280, 287, N28, N43

Mod note: links from other sites must include a quote.

Last edited by a moderator:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I was trying to work out the PVR increase for this, does anyone have any ideas?

Looking at the duties it's 14 buses extra for the single deck routes,

1 - 5 buses (unchanged)

2 - 4 buses instead of 1 (although that was covered by decker drivers interworked with the 41)

20 - 1 bus (unchanged)

24/48 - 8 buses (up from 4)

30 - 12 buses (up from 9)

38 - 4 buses (up from 2)

63 - 1 bus (unchanged)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Is anyone aware of what the frequency changes are? I’m struggling to get a clear picture of the increases, the only one mentioned is the X28.

buslad1988

Even after the change services are still heavily reduced. Surprised no increase on the 44.

They certainly aren’t in a hurry to return to any kind of near normal levels.

Edirim

Likely most routes will move to half-hourly with some that were half-hourly increasing to every 15 or every 20 mins.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Likely most routes will move to half-hourly with some that were half-hourly increasing to every 15 or every 20 mins.

That's pretty much the case across the board, with some routes extended such as the 49 now going to the Fort (which isn't going into ASDA at the Jewel).

buslad1988

Surprised they didn’t bring back more routes this time like the 200/300 and X15/36 etc
Things are moving much slower here, more cautious approach to easing of lockdown. As yet there’s also been no government announcement regarding additional bus funding (unlike England) so expect that’s a major factor too!

Someone needs to pay for these additional buses, can’t blame Lothian for holding back. If they do too much off their own backs the government may decide they don’t need to pay them anything at all.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Things are moving much slower here, more cautious approach to easing of lockdown. As yet there’s also been no government announcement regarding additional bus funding (unlike England) so expect that’s a major factor too!

Someone needs to pay for these additional buses, can’t blame Lothian for holding back.
If they do too much off their own backs the government may decide they don’t need to pay them anything at all.
Basically all other operators in Scotland are following the same approach. Instead of bumping up services, they're putting on dupes as necessary and double deckers on consistently busier runs.

buslad1988

Basically all other operators in Scotland are following the same approach. Instead of bumping up services, they're putting on dupes as necessary and double deckers on consistently busier runs.
Exactly, very sensible approach IMO. No point reintroducing marginal services at this stage... non essential shops haven’t even been given the clear to re-open yet.

Probably once the zoo opens, all shops etc they’ll start increasing. Although for as long as the ‘only essential journeys’ message continues their hands are tied.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
There is supposedly provision for an increase in public transport in phase 2, whether that comes about or not is not something I can answer. But at this rate, it's not looking promising.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
There is supposedly provision for an increase in public transport in phase 2, whether that comes about or not is not something I can answer. But at this rate, it's not looking promising.

I think in phase 3 we'll probably see a much larger increase in service, maybe up to a full Saturday service?

Time will tell I suppose.

route101

Established Member

First Glasgow are running dupes im sure , a bus follows another part route.

Status
Not open for further replies.