• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sorry folks, can I please be a bit of a nuisance? As my username would suggest my eyesight is far from brilliant and I find tracking fleet numbers online quite challenging using my screen reader. Is any of 291-294 going to be around starting at Western harbour around 10 this morning? I fancy a ride and this has been my first opportunity this week

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Sorry folks, can I please be a bit of a nuisance? As my username would suggest my eyesight is far from brilliant and I find tracking fleet numbers online quite challenging using my screen reader. Is any of 291-294 going to be around starting at Western harbour around 10 this morning? I fancy a ride and this has been my first opportunity this week

The bustimes site suggests that one has left the Harbour around 1018 (not sure if that's the actual time of departure or just when the AVL registered a new trip) towards Bonaly the last two days.

Hope that helps :)

VioletEclipse

It's currently slightly too early to tell exactly when which buses will be leaving Western Harbour from the TFE app tracker. From what I can tell, service 10 takes roughly 60 minutes (1 hour) end to end so going by that all the buses due to arrive at Western Harbour roughly between 10:00 to 10:30 that aren't standard Enviro 400s are both not showing fleet numbers on the app. 292 is due to leave Western Harbour at 09:00 and 294 is due to arrive at Western Harbour at 09:19, but they may both be too early for you.

To answer your question more directly. Bus 291 is due to arrive at Western Harbour Park at 10:08. Looking at the timetable on the TfE app, it should be departing Western Harbour Park at 10:15 towards Bonaly. If it is still the case that 291 and 294 are tracking as each other than this bus in question is actually 294.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
With the start of a new month tomorrow I wonder if we may see more of these new B5TL’s enter service in the coming days? Looking at DVLA database it appears most of the ones at Seafield (the ones that show up as registered at least) are taxed until July 1st 2022 - Can you tax a vehicle for over a year? Or is it that the tax is valid from tomorrow and because it’s already been paid it shows up, I suspect it could be the latter.

Most of (if not all of) 601, 634-650 are at Seafield. If they do make it out I’m not expecting all of them to do so as last I checked some of them weren’t branded up just yet.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
With the start of a new month tomorrow I wonder if we may see more of these new B5TL’s enter service in the coming days? Looking at DVLA database it appears most of the ones at Seafield (the ones that show up as registered at least) are taxed until July 1st 2022 - Can you tax a vehicle for over a year? Or is it that the tax is valid from tomorrow and because it’s already been paid it shows up, I suspect it could be the latter.

Most of (if not all of) 601, 634-650 are at Seafield. If they do make it out I’m not expecting all of them to do so as last I checked some of them weren’t branded up just yet.

Tax valid from I believe.

The new electric buses seem to have air conditioning; putting your hand next to the cold vent is lovely on a warm day like today! Just a shame we're still being told to keep the windows open by the stickers inside :(
Don't air conditioning systems filter out coronavirus particles anyway?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well if this is the future then I like it. Admittedly I I still think the ADL bodywork is a real let down and my views on ADL products in general are well known but not only can these shift but they can climb hills and are really rather smooth and quiet.

With thanks again to those who assisted earlier

Established Member
The new electric buses seem to have air conditioning; putting your hand next to the cold vent is lovely on a warm day like today!
Proper aircon throughout the bus. :D

Well if this is the future then I like it. Admittedly I I still think the ADL bodywork is a real let down and my views on ADL products in general are well known but not only can these shift but they can climb hills and are really rather smooth and quiet.

With thanks again to those who assisted earlier
Maybe it's just me, but the City body doesn't seem to be as well put together as the MMC - although they're both still a million times better than the rubbish we've had from Wright over the last few years.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I would agree with that

Just think it's a bit sad that years on since the first innervation of a low floor bus we're still getting the same issues over and over again from multiple different manufacturers

Some of the wright stuff is seriously bad 4 rattles and things now,

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Maybe it's just me, but the City body doesn't seem to be as well put together as the MMC - although they're both still a million times better than the rubbish we've had from Wright over the last few years.
I agree, although in fairness build quality on Wright's products under Bamford has improved significantly, certainly far better than that of ADL now.

The main issue with the BYD E400 is that it's range at only 160 miles is still not enough to cover a full shift.

Snow1964

Established Member

Not sure what rules are for taxing vehicles now it is online, but in the old days of physical tax discs to stick in windscreen, the first one could be 12 months and a week, to enable taxing in last week of a month to still get full 12 months

cnjb8

Established Member
There have been numerous mentions of the City bodywork being poor across the country, which is a shame because I think it’s a really stylish looking bus

Full aircon throughout the bus. :D
Ah excellent! :D
I suspect the answer is "no", but do Lothian have any plans to lock the windows shut or instruct passengers to leave them shut, to allow the air con to work? Just seems a bit of a waste of energy, having it running but all the windows open.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Further to my post yesterday it would appear most of these have now been moved (after being branded up) along the road to Marine, 601 and 650 now being the only ones delivered I haven’t seen branded up. Entry into service hopefully in the coming days? Could also be the last chance to grab some of the early Gemini2 B9TL’s in service as well if it does all piece together.

Ricky Kane

Further to my post yesterday it would appear most of these have now been moved (after being branded up) along the road to Marine, 601 and 650 now being the only ones delivered I haven’t seen branded up. Entry into service hopefully in the coming days? Could also be the last chance to grab some of the early Gemini2 B9TL’s in service as well if it does all piece together.
I'm guessing with the arrival of 601. Will mean 900 days will be ending soon.

Ricky Kane

Apparently it's already been sent to Ensign, from a recent newsletter. I'm sure someone with access to this can post it in here.
Appears you are correct I have just got this.
Ensign June
VEHICLES IN.

From First Devon and Cornwall : Volvo B7TL’s LT52WWG / WWP.

From Thames Valley Buses : Versa’s YJ65EVN / EVM Solo YJ13HJY

From Lothian Buses : SN08BXO / BXP / BXR / BXS / BXU / BXX / BXY / BXZ / BYA / BYB / BYC / BYD / BYF / BYG.

From RATP London : Scanias YN08DHJ YN56FCC / FCD / FCE / FCF / FCG / FCJ / FBA.

From Stagecoach Highlands : Volvo B12B SV59GHY

VEHICLES OUT.

Tridents T819 / 820RFG : First Devon and Cornwall

Volvo B11RTs BX65WDA / WDD Volvo B7RLE’s SN57DCX / DDF : Ipswich Buses.

E400s LK58KHU / LK58CNV / LK57AXF : Warrington Buses

B9TL’s SN57GNO SN08BXC / BXD / BXJ / BXM : York Pullman.

E400 LK58KHO : Aintree Coachlines.

Volvo B9TL SN57DFK : Keane Travel, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex.

Volvo B9TLs SN57DFF / DFG / DFL / GNP / GMO : Marshalls Coaches, Leighton Buzzard.

Volvo B7L LX05KOA Volvo B7TL LK04HYS : Seven Sisters Bus and Coach, Eastbourne.

Volvo B7L LX05KNZ : The Reform Party.

Volvo B9TL SN57GMU : Grant Palmer, Dunstable.

Trident LK51UYE : First Devon and Cornwall.

Volvo B9TLs BF62UYA / UYB / UYC / UYE / UYG BN61MXG / MXL / MXC / MXF : Tyrers Coaches, Adlington, Lancs

Volvo B9TL BN61MWZ : Coach Services, Thetford.

Volvo B9R YY63OJD : First Scotland.

ENSIGN FLEET.

3 more E400s are being used temporarily on TFL schools to release seatbelted buses for private hire work. They are :

901 SN11BTU
902 SN11BPY
903 SN12EHC.

Ricky Kane

I don’t know where people are getting the idea 900 is staying until 601 is in service. Any of the other 6xx could be a replacement for it
It's away to Ensign now anyway, so we will soon see what will replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GALLANTON

I don’t know where people are getting the idea 900 is staying until 601 is in service. Any of the other 6xx could be a replacement for it

I'd imagine it has already been replaced. I doubt they will use a specific bus to replace a specific bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
With more 600s going into service today at Marine 312/3/4/8, 342 and another two unidentified Gemini 2s have turned up at Longstone this morning.

Presumably replacements for the remaining 900s.