• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

InOban

Established Member
Am I right that the 47 is a fairly new route? There never used to be one which crossed over from the east side (Minto St etc ) to the west without traversing Princes Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Am I right that the 47 is a fairly new route? There never used to be one which crossed over from the east side (Minto St etc ) to the west without traversing Princes Street.
The current 47 was first introduced in 2005/6, I believe it replaced the 37A. Originally routed via Princes Street it switched to it’s current route in 2012. At first it was a trial but it became a permanent change. Part of the link goes back to the days of the old 17/47 circular service.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I’ve attached the changes below. These are only the changes from my original post and are only route changes, with the exception of the Skylinks. There could easily be more route changes than this.

Lothian

12 - As above, to run Gyle to King’s Road/Leith. Route is current 12 Gyle to Haymarket, then via Morrison Link, Western Approach Road, Lothian Road, Earl Grey Street and Lauriston Place to Bristo Square, then via current 42 to King’s Road/Leith.

Monday to Saturday evening journeys will run from Gyle Centre to Bristo Square only. Sunday daytime buses will run from Gyle Centre to Bread Street only. Late Sunday evening buses will run from South Gyle to Bread Street only. A few late evening journeys will terminate at Princes Street.

21 - Route changed in Lochend/Restalrig.

From Sleigh Drive it now serves Restalrig Road South, Lochend Avenue, Sleigh Drive, Lochend Road South and Lochend Road to Duke Street, and the same in reverse, replacing the 34. The current section of route no longer served will instead be served by Service 49.

25 - Route changed in Lochend/Restalrig.

From Sleigh Drive it now serves Lochend Drive, Lochend Road South and Lochend Road to Easter Road junction, and the same in reverse, replacing the 49. The current section of route no longer served will instead be served by Service 49.

X33 - Rerouted via Dalkeith Heights in both directions instead of Lauder Road.

34 - Route changed in Lochend/Restalrig.

From Restalrig Road South it now serves Restalrig Road, Links Gardens, Links Place, Queen Charlotte Street, Constitution Street, Bernard Street and Commerical Street to Ocean Terminal, and the same in reverse, part replacing the 25 and also restoring a bus link to Links Gardens/Bernard Street. The current section of route no longer served will instead be served by Service 21.

42 - Withdrawn and part replaced by Service 12.

49 - Route changed in Lochend/Restalrig.

From Sleigh Drive it now serves Restalrig Road South, Restalrig Road, East Hermitage Place and Hermitage Place to Easter Road junction, and the same in reverse, replacing the 21 and 25. The current section of route no longer served will instead be served by Service 25.

ECB

140 - Reduced to hourly following introduction of new service 141.

141 - New hourly Monday to Saturday daytime service running in coordination with 140. This route serves Easter Bush instead of Roslin.

Skylink

200 - New night 0310 departure from Ocean Terminal to Airport introduced on all mornings. Special fares apply.

300 - Withdrawn and part replaced by Services 12 and 35.

400 - New 0304 departure from Gilmerton to Airport introduced on all mornings. Special fares apply.

As expected the 15 is staying as it is now in terms of route.

The route change in Lochend is an interesting change, also glad Leith Links is getting some new bus link again since Covid, also digging the night 200/400 in the early mornings, not sure why they would just start the 400 from the Fort but beginner steps I guess!
These changes seem a bit pointless and unnecessary.

I beg to differ!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The route change in Lochend is an interesting change, also glad Leith Links is getting some new bus link again since Covid, also digging the night 200/400 in the early mornings, not sure why they would just start the 400 from the Fort but beginner steps I guess!
They must be opening up Links Gardens again (if it hasn’t been already) as that had been cycles only since mid 2020.

I’m interested to see how these Night 200 and 400’s will work as there’s no return journey from the Airport around 0400. Likely an overthought by me as it’s probably nothing interesting and they’ll actually just be off service back towards the other end.

The current 47 was first introduced in 2005/6, I believe it replaced the 37A. Originally routed via Princes Street it switched to it’s current route in 2012. At first it was a trial but it became a permanent change. Part of the link goes back to the days of the old 17/47 circular service.
Did the 37A take over from the 87?

The current route of the 37 looks like the old 81.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The earlier departure on service 200 is something that it's regular users particularly in the northwest of the city have been asking for for a long time. I suspect it will be very much use it or lose it for this and the similarly timed early departure of the 400 but but with the special fears etc I would think it can make its money and it's certainly saves those of us who fly frequently on early services a tedious and very expensive Trek via the city centre

These changes seem a bit pointless and unnecessary.
I don't get why they've just swapped services around and went bonkers with the 25, I thought the routes were fine as they were, in terms of passenger-wise.

I'm pretty sure the service 86 and 87 went to Tranent? Could be wrong though.

DunsBus

Established Member
I don't get why they've just swapped services around and went bonkers with the 25, I thought the routes were fine as they were, in terms of passenger-wise.

I'm pretty sure the service 86 and 87 went to Tranent? Could be wrong though.
The 85 and the 86, along with the 26A, went to Tranent. The 87 went to Penicuik.

EdinRH

The 37 replaced the 81 and the 87 at the service changes in late spring/early summer 2001.

The 81 ran from Muirhouse to Penicuik omitting Loanhead. There was an 81A which ran on Monday to Saturday evenings and all day Sunday (possibly all day on public holidays too) and did serve Loanhead, as the 87 did not operate at those times. There was also a peak time 81B which omitted Loanhead and Penicuik Town Centre and ran direct to and from Deanburn via Queensferry according to a 1993 route map I have (I presume they meant QueensWAY). I also remember seeing 81C on the front of a bus, but have no idea how that varied from the main 81.

The 87 ran from Marine Garage via Lochend and Leith to either Loanhead or Penicuik (alternate jouneys). The route may have been truncated to Lochend to Loanhead/Penicuik at some point, as I can remember seeing both "Seafield" and "Lochend" on the destination screen when catching the 87 home from my grandparents in Loanhead.

DunsBus

Established Member
The 37 replaced the 81 and the 87 at the service changes in late spring/early summer 2001.

The 81 ran from Muirhouse to Penicuik omitting Loanhead. There was an 81A which ran on Monday to Saturday evenings and all day Sunday (possibly all day on public holidays too) and did serve Loanhead, as the 87 did not operate at those times. There was also a peak time 81B which omitted Loanhead and Penicuik Town Centre and ran direct to and from Deanburn via Queensferry according to a 1993 route map I have (I presume they meant QueensWAY). I also remember seeing 81C on the front of a bus, but have no idea how that varied from the main 81.

The 87 ran from Marine Garage via Lochend and Leith to either Loanhead or Penicuik (alternate jouneys). The route may have been truncated to Lochend to Loanhead/Penicuik at some point, as I can remember seeing both "Seafield" and "Lochend" on the destination screen when catching the 87 home from my grandparents in Loanhead.
The 81C served Easter Bush. :)

There was also an X81, which ran at peak times and was non-stop between Lady Road and Bilston. This later became the X91, which replaced the bulk of the daytime journeys on the 81 and ran non-stop from Surgeons Hall to Mortonhall with an intermediate stop at Cameron Toll.

The 81C served Easter Bush. :)

There was also an X81, which ran at peak times and was non-stop between Lady Road and Bilston. This later became the X91, which replaced the bulk of the daytime journeys on the 81 and ran non-stop from Surgeons Hall to Mortonhall with an intermediate stop at Cameron Toll.

Thank you for the info!

New to the group - long time watcher, but this is my first post. I thought I'd put my tuppence worth in about the 141/140. I can see the Bush addition Monday to Friday giving a good link back to the Bush outwith peak times for Penicuik and for the other parts of Midlothian. I don't see the need for it on a Saturday though, hence why the 37s are all routed to Penicuik giving some areas a better service than that on Monday to Friday. 141 could have been routed to turn right in Loanhead and head towards the retail park into the park and ride at Straiton and out to Penicuik/Bush via the main A701. This would provide a link from Bonnyrigg and Dalkeith to Straiton shops.

Last edited by a moderator:

A330Alex

They must be opening up Links Gardens again (if it hasn’t been already) as that had been cycles only since mid 2020.
It’s open at the moment but there’s a Leith wide LTN coming at the end of the year after the tram works. The intention was to only allow turning right into Salamander Place from Links Gardens. Perhaps they’ll add a bus gate instead to let the 34 through.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
If they’re putting the 34 down Restalrig road and through Leith Links then a 1 for 1 swap with the 21 or 25 leaving the other and the 49 unchanged would’ve made better sense

Is the X44 operated by Marine, because it had 401 on it today, and it was doing the 10 before that? Is 401 at Central now if the X44 isn't Marine?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Is the X44 operated by Marine, because it had 401 on it today, and it was doing the 10 before that? Is 401 at Central now if the X44 isn't Marine?
401 was not on the 10, it was on the 42 school service (surprised it's on right now) . One service is Marine operated I believe.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Volvo 7900 44 (BT64 LHZ) has just made it's way to Livingston. Is there any particular reason it has gone along? Is it possible it'll be used temporarily for driver familiarization or even public service? As far as i'm aware there are no vehicles needing covering at the moment, either. I know this isn't the first time one of these sevices has been with Lothiancountry, although from my understanding it was to cover a breakdown.

Volvo 7900 44 (BT64 LHZ) has just made it's way to Livingston. Is there any particular reason it has gone along? Is it possible it'll be used temporarily for driver familiarization or even public service? As far as i'm aware there are no vehicles needing covering at the moment, either. I know this isn't the first time one of these sevices has been with Lothiancountry, although from my understanding it was to cover a breakdown.
It seems to have made its way to Glasgow (possibly Ferrymill).

(Link above is to the route map that 44 has taken to Glasgow).

Bus9120UK

Established Member
What is the current passenger usage on service X44? I'm having discussions with mates who are suggesting that the X44 to the east should be cancelled, and the X44 to the west should be reinstated. They think it's a waste running an "X6" clone.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
What is the current passenger usage on service X44? I'm having discussions with mates who are suggesting that the X44 to the east should be cancelled, and the X44 to the west should be reinstated. They think it's a waste running an "X6" clone.

Im not sure but that’s why I was thinking that the 113 should have an X13 running during peak times to battle the X44 East,

Balerno deserves to have the X44 back more than Tranent does if I’m honest

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Im not sure but that’s why I was thinking that the 113 should have an X13 running during peak times to battle the X44 East,

Balerno deserves to have the X44 back more than Tranent does if I’m honest
Ideally if the resources were available you’d make the X44e the ECB X13 instead (extended to Ormiston/Pencaitland) and reinstate the X44w. However, that’s not going to be possible for a while.

Very good, lots of people have been on services I've been on, I don't think it should be cancelled, although I do think they should do a return route and maybe extend it to Longstone?

I do think they should bring back the X44 West and make an X13 service, which can go to Windygoul on its way to Pencaitland.

Edit: Do see others suggested that.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Very good, lots of people have been on services I've been on, I don't think it should be cancelled, although I do think they should do a return route and maybe extend it to Longstone?
I really wish they would publish their timetables in such a way that shows the type of connections you mention. For example in the current timetable (?) there are three morning X26s which turn into 25s to Heriot-Watt at Haymarket, but this is only shown as a footnote in the pdf timetable and isn't shown at all on the online X26 timetable.
I'm hoping with the new 140/141 the published timetable will show both services in one place, otherwise you're going to get people thinking that their 140 service has been cut to hourly and not realizing that in most cases they can take the 141 as well.
I'm surprised they don't already do this with the 106/X6/X7 to be honest; the 106/X7 combined to show the complete service to and from East Linton and Dunbar, and the X6/X7 combined to show the service from Haddington to Edinburgh (e.g. sometimes an X7 leaving later will overtake an X6 and arrive before it)

Then again, do many people even look at the pdf/online timetables any more, or does everyone just using journey planners like Google Maps?
(rhetorical question, mostly)