• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I agree. I mean it’s possible that they could extend the 22 back to Ocean Terminal but the route could go Leith Street, Leopold Place, London Road, Meadowbank, Willowbrae Road, Milton Road/West/East left at the traffic lights past Eastfield at Joppa and past Portobello, Seafield, Bernard Street, Commercial Street and Ocean Terminal.

The 26 and 44 could be changed so that they remain on Waterloo Place and Regent Road and the 22 extension would cover Leopold Place to Portobello/Joppa and possibly the 45 if it is put back to Leopold Place.

This would also allow people on the 22 route albeit a long route to Ocean Terminal still and it wouldn’t affect the tram as they would just promote it as “the quick way to Ocean Terminal from Gyle”.

I’ll be honest, it wouldn’t be that far fetched for Lothian to consider that as an option since the 22 was a pretty popular service prior to being cut, bring the 22 back to Leith, provide portobello and ocean terminal a link and then still have the tram as an option for a faster link to town! it’s a win-win, but i still like to see the 12, 200, 140 as possible extension options also!

On the subject, a Brunstane to Portobello link would also be nice, much like when the 21 was diverted when Brighton Place was closed, maybe that’s something we could see in the cards too? that or a Fort Kinnaird to Brunstane link, i was gutted when the 118 was curtailed back to Musselburgh when the Fort Kinnaird/Edinburgh College extension got cut, I would of thought it would of done well! maybe the timings were too awkward for students that it barely say any demand!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus9120UK

Established Member
2022 Christmas video (or advert) is out... https://twitter.com/on_lothianbuses/status/1598711256898326528
Just in the [St] Nick of time! Don't be like Santa - join Lothian today https://bit.ly/3isWyzY
Clever in my opinion. Of course they had to get that "join Lothian" advertisement in it somewhere!
The video itself shows Santa Claus with a letter saying that his "Sleigh License" has been suspended, and notices an advert for a Lothian driver in a newspaper. He chooses to go for it, and starts the training process were he fails the first time round, but is successful the second.

At least it's something! I really like it it.

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
2022 Christmas video (or advert) is out... https://twitter.com/on_lothianbuses/status/1598711256898326528

Clever in my opinion. Of course they had to get that "join Lothian" advertisement in it somewhere!
The video itself shows Santa Claus with a letter saying that his "Sleigh License" has been suspended, and notices an advert for a Lothian driver in a newspaper. He chooses to go for it, and starts the training process were he fails the first time round, but is successful the second.

At least it's something!

Cute concept! video made me laugh, glad to see Lothian have a joyful sense of humour with their advertising! Hope the public feel the same sentiment we all do!

Mal

At least it's something!
Very good! Made me smile and hope that it will recruit more drivers for them.

Humberscot

I also hope just as much as you. I really liked the network back then, especially with the X17 service. I really benefited from it and honestly do wonder, if Lothiancountry is in a stable place and is able to expand again, where would they go first? My thoughts are perhaps something like the X17?
A First? Gemini with a plate starting YN53 on a service 18 appearing through the gloom in Broxburn around 07:20 this morning? Anyone any idea what service that is (X18 should be LCB??)

Last edited:

A First? Gemini with a plate starting YN53 on a service 18 appearing through the gloom in Broxburn around 07:20 this morning? Anyone any idea what service that is (X18 should be LCB??)
That's the McGill's Scotland East council-supported 18 service which runs once a week on a Sunday morning.

That's good to know - does it run the same route as the LCB X18?
On the journey from Fauldhouse to Edinburgh it runs the route of Mcgill's Service 26 to Bathgate then runs the exact same route as LC X18 to Edinburgh serving all stops then copies the entire X18 route again on its journey back to Bathagte

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
On the journey from Fauldhouse to Edinburgh it runs the route of Mcgill's Service 26 to Bathgate then runs the exact same route as LC X18 to Edinburgh serving all stops then copies the entire X18 route again on its journey back to Bathagte
That is not correct.

It runs the same route as the 26 between Fauldhouse and Whitburn Cross, and doubles back on itself on West Main Street. It then does the same route as the X18 from there to Edinburgh, stopping at all stops and also omits Armadale ASDA. The 26 goes via J4 Distribution Park and Birniehill and not via Armadale. The 18 for all intents and purposes is the former 20, just renumbered due to the LC X18.

This is the Lothian thread anyway so I don’t want to go off topic too much.

Baileygirl

That is not correct.

It runs the same route as the 26 between Fauldhouse and Whitburn Cross, and doubles back on itself on West Main Street. It then does the same route as the X18 from there to Edinburgh, stopping at all stops and also omits Armadale ASDA. The 26 goes via J4 Distribution Park and Birniehill and not via Armadale. The 18 for all intents and purposes is the former 20, just renumbered due to the LC X18.

This is the Lothian thread anyway so I don’t want to go off topic too much.
It was renumbered due to taking over the 20 to Ratho from Lothian. It would have meant two 20s in Ratho Station otherwise.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
change of subject real quick but wondering if someone can clear something up for me! Is there any reason why the 12 runs from central despite the fact its main terminus is Marine Garage? I’m sure there is a reason I just don't Understand why!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
change of subject real quick but wondering if someone can clear something up for me! Is there any reason why the 12 runs from central despite the fact its main terminus is Marine Garage? I’m sure there is a reason I just don't Understand why!
This is a question I have wondered the answer to myself. My assumption would be that’s where there’s the resources.

Ideally it should be Marine during the day Monday to Saturday, and then Longstone early mornings/late evenings and Sundays.

eh1

There is a lot of politics surrounding the single decks which probably doesn't help. I imagine though its due to the part-route at night, where it doesn't reach Marine. Keeping it at Central means change-overs can be done on foot, without the need for vans (eg, extra cost).

When the Volvo 7900's go on sale, do you think there will be a single purchase? I know it's been discussed here before but it has never gone into depth (I don't think,) I personally think some of them will be sold, but 1-10 might struggle to sell.

If I were to give an estimate on how many would sell, I'd probably say about 25. I don't think as many independents will get these buses or even think about getting then because of the nature of Hybrid buses. Let me know what you think because all of this is just theory.

cnjb8

Established Member
When the Volvo 7900's go on sale, do you think there will be a single purchase? I know it's been discussed here before but it has never gone into depth (I don't think,) I personally think some of them will be sold, but 1-10 might struggle to sell.

If I were to give an estimate on how many would sell, I'd probably say about 25. I don't think as many independents will get these buses or even think about getting then because of the nature of Hybrid buses. Let me know what you think because all of this is just theory.
I don't think very many will be sold for further use at all. There's basically nothing in terms of a market for second-hand hybrid buses

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member

It's likely these would be sold in 2026/7 unless something occurs which would lead them to being sold at a younger age. By then, I feel the demand for such vehicles would not be there.

stevenedin

Established Member
They could always be sold to people to convert into mobile homes or classrooms or whatever anyone wants to.

They could always be sold to people to convert into mobile homes or classrooms or whatever anyone wants to.
586 was converted into a Chinese Shop and currently lies in the East Lothian town of East Linton, I hear an Olympian was converted into a home which is quite common for second-hand buses nowadays.
I don't think very many will be sold for further use at all. There's basically nothing in terms of a market for second-hand hybrid buses
It's likely these would be sold in 2026/7 unless something occurs which would lead them to being sold at a younger age. By then, I feel the demand for such vehicles would not be there.
I think both of these comments overlap in a way, there is pretty much nothing in the Second-Hand Hybrid market, and these buses will be a bit older than they currently are at the time.

The smart thing for Lothian to do is just to sell 1-10 and give some of or all of 176-190 to Central. I realise if they were to do this some would still lie spare at Marine, but this would be an alternative that won't give you a headache every 5 minutes. 11-50 are better in this department.

A one way trip to Barnsley is where they’ll be sold
Could see that happening, we'll have to wait and see though! As mentioned above there isn't much demand for Second-Hand hybrid buses of the age they'll be sold. :lol:

stevenedin

Established Member
586 was converted into a Chinese Shop and currently lies in the East Lothian town of East Linton, I hear an Olympian was converted into a home which is quite common for second-hand buses nowadays.

I think both of these comments overlap in a way, there is pretty much nothing in the Second-Hand Hybrid market, and these buses will be a bit older than they currently are at the time.

The smart thing for Lothian to do is just to sell 1-10 and give some of or all of 176-190 to Central. I realise if they were to do this some would still lie spare at Marine, but this would be an alternative that won't give you a headache every 5 minutes. 11-50 are better in this department.

Could see that happening, we'll have to wait and see though! As mentioned above there isn't much demand for Second-Hand hybrid buses of the age they'll be sold. :lol:
I agree with 1-10 right now. To be honest they could be used for airport transfers for the car parking etc but which airport I don’t know.

I agree with 1-10 right now. To be honest they could be used for airport transfers for the car parking etc but which airport I don’t know.
A mini route from Ingliston to Edinburgh Airport or Turnhouse to Edinburgh Airport via. Ingliston would be quite good.
You'd not spend that much time on the bus too.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
A one way trip to Barnsley is where they’ll be sold
It’ll be that or exported to the continent for parts recovery.

Unique buses never do well in the second hand market. Less than 100 7900’s were ever built for the UK so they will not be an attractive option for second hand.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Personally I'd sell the whole lot now while they may still have some value the somebody and replace with a smaller number of Volvo/MCV or perhaps some electric yutong which do seem to have been a success with other operators

Personally I'd sell the whole lot now while they may still have some value the somebody and replace with a smaller number of Volvo/MCV or perhaps some electric yutong which do seem to have been a success with other operators
If they were to get a Volvo Product and they want it to be electric (No reason why they would with the current state of the fleet) I'd suggest Lothian to get some Volvo BZL single decks. They could also use 176-190 as I stated above, these buses still have about 5 years left in them.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
If they were to get a Volvo Product and they want it to be electric (No reason why they would with the current state of the fleet) I'd suggest Lothian to get some Volvo BZL single decks. They could also use 176-190 as I stated above, these buses still have about 5 years left in them.
Should LCB recover and be able to relaunch a local service, what buses would be used if 176-190 just get out back on city runs?

stevenedin

Established Member
Should LCB recover and be able to relaunch a local service, what buses would be used if 176-190 just get out back on city runs?
By that time, Lothian will probably have newer buses so the older ones can be cascaded or they possibly could purchase new buses for that. Remember there is also 195-199.

By that time, Lothian will probably have newer buses so the older ones can be cascaded or they possibly could purchase new buses for that. Remember there is also 195-199.
I've heard that 195-199 are knackered because they've been thrashed on country routes their whole lives, who knows? To be fair they could put 185-190 on Single Decker Lothian services like the 12? I suppose this would relieve some of the stress on 1-13. It would certainly be a nice sight and they're not even 10 years old yet!