• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

computerSaysNo

Established Member
A lot of what I would call strange movements at the minute, but once it’s all pieced together in full I’m sure it will make sense.
I agree that a lot of it looks strange. I would suggest that most of the movements are for the Marathon or the concert on Tuesday, but if that was the case why didn't they move for the previous concerts at Murrayfield?

If the total vehicle requirement is roughly the same at each garage after these changes (I don't know if it is), then I don't really see the point in any major changes.

As far as I'm aware Lothian don't have any orders placed for new buses? So the movements can't be due to new stock coming in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan1296

From first observations, the 7 is now getting buses that used to work the 41 (11 plate buses) at least on a Sunday anyway.

Also, timetables on bus stops/shelters on the south side of the city have not been updated to reflect the changes.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I agree that a lot of it looks strange. I would suggest that most of the movements are for the Marathon or the concert on Tuesday
I assumed that they are switching them during these shuttles to save another run at a later date. I don't think these are movements just for the concerts as 468 & 1053 switched directly without going on any runs.

Vectron383

It could be from a year ago or more, to be honest! I’d be very interested to hear the story behind the incident but I doubt there’s any information available.

Marine Allocation Changes (It's a Sunday but because of movements I'll submit anyway.)

Service 19 - 639-650,
Service 21 - 401-425,
Service 45 - 42-50 (Educated Guess!)
Service 48 - 176-190, 42-50.

636 is at Longstone now.

Maybe possible renumber to 519-530.
I would have thought it would've been the opposite, renumbering these to 510-522 and the others 523-530

Highland050261

On Moderation
Marine Allocation Changes (It's a Sunday but because of movements I'll submit anyway.)

Service 19 - 639-650,
Service 21 - 401-425,
Service 45 - 42-50 (Educated Guess!)
Service 48 - 176-190, 42-50.

636 is at Longstone now.

I would have thought it would've been the opposite, renumbering these to 510-522 and the others 523-530
Could be I was just thinking possible options.

Auld reekie

so today I opened the app, clicked on service 9 and the app crashed. Tried it again and the same thing. It's not an issue with other services. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
The App is absolutely useless.
I emailed Lothian Buses about the App a few months ago.
The reply was was “We are aware of the issues on the App and we are looking into it.”
Blah! Blah!Blah!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I emailed Lothian Buses about the App a few months ago.
The reply was was “We are aware of the issues on the App and we are looking into it.”
Blah! Blah!Blah!
I found that the issues rectified themself this morning with the changes. Edit: Nope, they're back.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The app (like many other things) is long overdue an upgrade. The User Interface (UI) in my opinion is poor, while certain features are particularly confusing for the non-enthusiast.

Bits such as only two buses showing at a terminus stop rather than four, the character limit on the destinations, only one direction working at bus stops where the services go in both directions (eg QMU), the straight lines between stops rather than a geographically accurate routing (this never used to be a problem) and arguably the most bizarre glitch where the app things the bus has cleared the starting stop when in fact it hasn’t. As a result the timings are way out (apart from the starting stop) and you need to do a bit of maths to work out which bus it actually is. An annoying problem I’ve found over the years is when it changes day (this occurs around 02:30-03:30) and then the app shows duplicate departures on night buses for around an hour or so, of which one works. In addition to that the previous day’s night buses suddenly reappear and think they’re on what the app thinks is a third journey sometimes.

There’s way more issues than that, but that’s the ones that first come to mind.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Judging by the rims and interior it looks like either 369, 391, 952 or 953. All have been out lately so I'm assuming it's an older video!
It's not an older video; there are current adverts on the buses in the video.

The app (like many other things) is long overdue an upgrade. The User Interface (UI) in my opinion is poor, while certain features are particularly confusing for the non-enthusiast.
Yeah it's been poor for ages and it always seems to be breaking now, so it's time for a major upgrade at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
It's not an older video; there are current adverts on the buses in the video.

Yeah it's been poor for ages and it always seems to be breaking now, so it's time for a major upgrade at least.

Hi-vis vests were only issued to drivers recently (2-3 months ish) so definitely recent.

paul47B

By the sounds of it I think the transfer of 466-470 to Central is probably temporary. I’d expect some of 1051-1062 to be in Seafield fairly shortly for repaint prep if the transfer is indeed happening, as I don’t think Marine needs all of them.

A lot of what I would call strange movements at the minute, but once it’s all pieced together in full I’m sure it will make sense.

Marine appears to be losing almost half of its E400mmc B5TL’s, which at the minute appears to mean that 21 has lost them. Early days though so shall have to wait and see on that part.
Those buses have been disappearing from the 21s for a couple of weeks now

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Those buses have been disappearing from the 21s for a couple of weeks now
Just had a look at the last week and it was overwhelmingly mostly E400mmc’s pretty much every day. A handful of other buses thrown in but that’s been the case on the 21 for months.

Just had a look at the last week and it was overwhelmingly mostly E400mmc’s pretty much every day. A handful of other buses thrown in but that’s been the case on the 21 for months.
There are normally 1 or 2 other types of buses at most, even on Sundays. Today was pretty much fully 401-425, meaning it has changed pretty much. The MMC's seem to be used on the 19, well the ones that still remain at Marine. 640 and 642 also moved to Longstone so we will have to play it by year to see what ones end up where!

I may post obvious allocation changes tomorrow, where we'll see the Saturday timetables in operation.

Not until Tuesday, there's a bank holiday tomorrow so a Saturday service is in operation.
I forgot about the bank holiday, thanks for the correction. Saturday allocations tend to be the same as Mon-Fri allocations, so if there is an obvious allocation for tomorrow we can sort of get an idea for whats to come!

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I forgot about the bank holiday, thanks for the correction. Saturday allocations tend to be the same as Mon-Fri allocations, so if there is an obvious allocation for tomorrow we can sort of get an idea for whats to come!

I know you said tend to be, but there's some really odd ones like the 47 - Tri axles Mon-Fri and Sundays but for some reason 600s on a Saturday :s

roadierway77

Now that the service changes have come into effect, I've put together a table comparing the daytime requirements of each city route before and after the changes. I hope I've not made any errors - apologies if so. Blue text indicates the vehicle requirement has increased, while red indicates that requirements have decreased.

RouteDaytime PVR May 2023Daytime PVR June 2023
18 required11 required
28 required8 required
318 required18 required
48 required9 required
58 required8 required
78 required8 required
87 required7 required
9N/A6 required
107 required7 required
1114 required14 required
126 required6 required
149 required9 required
152 required2 required
1616 required16 required
198 required10 required
2114 required15 required
225 required6 required
236 required6 required
248 required8 required
2516 required13 required
2624 required24 required
277 required7 required
2910 required10 required
3021 required18 required
3112 required12 required
339 required9 required
349 required9 required
358 required8 required
366 required6 required
3714 required14 required
385 required5 required
417 requiredwithdrawn
4418 required18 required
456 required5 required
46N/A6 required
4710 required11 required
485 required7 required
4913 required9 required
1009 required9 required
2004 required4 required
4006 required6 required

Total vehicle requirements have increased slightly from 379 to 384.

Fingers crossed that extra bus for the 21 helps with reliability - it's a route I use often and it very much struggled to keep to time prior to these changes, especially during peaks.

Second day running of 401-425 being used on the 21. We can almost certainly say that the Enviro400 MMC days are long gone. I realise Marine have less but with not a single MMC on, it's not looking too healthy!

1093 of all buses on the Three Bridges Tour! Why is Central even operating it?

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
In Scotland Bank Holidays are just that - Holidays for banks. The public holiday was last Monday (Victoria Day). Different cities have holidays on different weekends - today is the Glasgow holiday.

Porty

In Scotland Bank Holidays are just that - Holidays for banks. The public holiday was last Monday (Victoria Day). Different cities have holidays on different weekends - today is the Glasgow holiday.
Yes, but Lothian buses website specifies a Saturday service (and other minor changes) for today - and which they designate as a holiday day. I think last Monday was a normal M-F service - though not 100 per cent sure about that. It is confusing!

Lothian_Bus

668-671 appear to now be at Central. Looks like service 44 has gone fully back to Longstone as well - assuming 631,637 and 638 are now based at Longstone.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
668-671 appear to now be at Central. Looks like service 44 has gone fully back to Longstone as well - assuming 631,637 and 638 are now based at Longstone.
Yes, 631-638 are at Longstone. I can't remember if Central had Saturday 44s previously though?

1093 of all buses on the Three Bridges Tour! Why is Central even operating it?
It's on Cruiselink X99. The 3 bridges tour doesn't start will around 5 past 10.

Yes, 631-638 are at Longstone. I can't remember if Central had Saturday 44s previously though?

It's on Cruiselink X99. The 3 bridges tour doesn't start will around 5 past 10.
It was tracking as the 3 Bridges Tour on bustimes.org, that's why I was confused. I knew the X99 was on though. I know bustimes.org isn't 100% accurate but it's a good baseline!