• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ricky Kane

Did Lothian ever receive these 3 second hand coaches
KSL 315 ( YX16NXC )
KSL 387 ( YX16NXH )
KSL 392 ( YX16NXF )

OmniCity999

Established Member
Did Lothian ever receive these 3 second hand coaches
KSL 315 ( YX16NXC )
KSL 387 ( YX16NXH )
KSL 392 ( YX16NXF )
they are in storage with Plaxton.

1 has lost its temporary branding, although this is thought to be for paint.

future unknown.

JamboCommuter

I am quite sure there was a short lived service 50 during 1982 serving the Sighthill area of Edinburgh.
I might be wrong on this but did Edinburgh Corporation Transport not use the number 50 as a special service number for buses out to the Royal Highland Showground when the event was on?

I do remember the normal routes were numbered from 1 to 49 with most numbers being used.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I'm not sure, however that does make me wonder - Are Prentice and Lothian still partnered, so Lothian fares and tickets are accepted?

Prentice withdrew the service earlier this year, there’s been nothing to replace it. apparently residents in Northfield/Willowbrae were having an outcry about it

CN04NRJ

Established Member
What makes you think its 1076? it has a fully intact rear end from that picture and it takes a lot more than 2 months to repair something like that

Facebook gossiping at it again, apparently it's simultaneously 1076 but also a new XLB, a partially repainted XLB, a white XLB or an XLB in a new livery. Who knew a regular old XLB partly imaged in the background of other buses could cause such a stir.

Lothianbus703

I'm pretty sure the B7TL is being used for spares on the G1/B9TLS or a theory I have is it could be getting upgraded to euro 5 but that will never happen.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
870 and 871 were both on the 5 this morning . More 07/57 B9's must be heading for Marine.
870 and 871 have been at Marine for about a couple of weeks now. 5 in total I think are now at Marine (826-828, 870-871).

As you say I doubt these are the last, I’m sure others have said some more interesting movements might happen.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Facebook gossiping at it again, apparently it's simultaneously 1076 but also a new XLB, a partially repainted XLB, a white XLB or an XLB in a new livery. Who knew a regular old XLB partly imaged in the background of other buses could cause such a stir.
It seems that there is no XLB at Seafield using the trackers, so unless it has since moved, it would appear to be either a new one (But I don't think they would build one so fast) or a normal one that just doesn't have the full livery visible

OmniCity999

Established Member
It seems that there is no XLB at Seafield using the trackers, so unless it has since moved, it would appear to be either a new one (But I don't think they would build one so fast) or a normal one that just doesn't have the full livery visible
there is an XLB at Seafield works, the tracker is off.

it's not a new XLB

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

The trackers are hilariously inaccurate alot of the time, just the other day I was driving a bus on the 30 that was showing sat at Marine on the finlaysmith site!

scosutsut

I take it said trackers are stand alone bits of kit, and not tied to the ticket machines? If so, is that not, to be polite, a bit old school?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Noticed 9203 had Edinburgh Bus Tours legal lettering when it passed me on Princes Street earlier on an Amazon contract. Any reason for this?

I'd have guessed at having EBT drivers doing some of the work as most of the tours are off but I've seen drivers in tour uniform driving ECB services - or is it both?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Noticed 9203 had Edinburgh Bus Tours legal lettering when it passed me on Princes Street earlier on an Amazon contract. Any reason for this?

I'd have guessed at having EBT drivers doing some of the work as most of the tours are off but I've seen drivers in tour uniform driving ECB services - or is it both?
talk is that Lothian Motorcoaches could be merging with Edinburgh Bus Tours, with the bus tours being the legal operator and Lothian Motorcoaches being a brand. It does seem like the logical thing to do, both companies offer tours etc so why not group them all together.
I take it said trackers are stand alone bits of kit, and not tied to the ticket machines? If so, is that not, to be polite, a bit old school?
It's well documented that the technology ageing badly, it's almost 20 years old. Its getting difficult to find parts and the system is rather slow. Upgrades were due this year, but their cancellation is being blamed on Covid.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Why are they doing this, any particular reason?
Depot odes are being removed company wide as its totally unessential.

While it is true old stock heads to Marine immediately before sale, it is usually the case that it is removed from service before so and stored there.

We are currently conducting a fleet wide shuffle and clear up with regards to appearance, so expect a few interesting changes.

The company is moving towards a fully integrated service. With talk of fare changes, branding changes and fleet movements, as mentioned above. Expect many changes.

New buses are due late next year, by that point we should be in a more long term fleet, branding and fares structure.
i mentioned this restructuring a few pages back, i think it was related to these two vehicles too.

restructuring, vehicles are being shuffled around for various reasons.

more B5's in central for city routes and more B9's elsewhere for longer routes.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
talk is that Lothian Motorcoaches could be merging with Edinburgh Bus Tours, with the bus tours being the legal operator and Lothian Motorcoaches being a brand. It does seem like the logical thing to do, both companies offer tours etc so why not group them all together.

Sounds logical and would allow for alot more operational flexibility I guess.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Sounds logical and would allow for alot more operational flexibility I guess.
when we're out of lockdown, the economy settles (not saying recovers, because i think we're in trouble there...) and tourism returns, it could create some really compelling options for tourists, tour parties and cruise ships.

scosutsut

It's well documented that the technology ageing badly, it's almost 20 years old. Its getting difficult to find parts and the system is rather slow. Upgrades were due this year, but their cancellation is being blamed on Covid.
Thanks I felt like that we knew that but wasnt sure if it was conjecture or fact. I take it the need to keep it going is linked to the bus stop information more than anything. I.E. control could take data from ticket machines but bus tracker presumably couldn't given its obsolescence.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Thanks I felt like that we knew that but wasnt sure if it was conjecture or fact. I take it the need to keep it going is linked to the bus stop information more than anything. I.E. control could take data from ticket machines but bus tracker presumably couldn't given its obsolescence.
Essentially, the tracking hardware and firmware installed on buses (including new buses) is inferior to what is actually on the market.

We still have outdated hardware (from 2005) being installed on brand new vehicles. In saying its outdated, its brand new, but an old design. The manufacturer of which makes it specifically for us and its not available in their product line up anymore.

This is due to the physical customer facing systems around the city and the database involved.

In order to update the systems on the buses, the networking, database and customer facing systems around the city need to be done, this includes bus stops, systems inside train stations and shopping centres and the councils own tracking infrastructure. Its a rather large job. It also rather annoyingly includes some Stagecoach (and other operators) buses, as these show on some bus stops.*

External operators don't have the full AVL we use, i believe its just a tracker.

As previously mentioned, the update was due to happen this year. Brand new tracking systems at bus stops, on buses and in third party venues. More bus stops than just now were to have trackers fitted.

But that was decided to be one of the costs to be shelved.

It might also be one of the reasons why new vehicles aren't in service yet. A decision might have been made between them arriving and now, which has delayed their entry to service. It would have meant them getting a new system or an old one. By the time the decision has been made, the company had to manufacture the outdated, inferior and off the book products for them, which takes time.

I say might have because its not something I'm 100% about, but you can guarantee its a contributing factor.

*they used to, I don't know if they still do.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
As previously mentioned, the update was due to happen this year. Brand new tracking systems at bus stops, on buses and in third party venues. More bus stops than just now were to have trackers fitted.

But that was decided to be one of the costs to be shelved.

It might also be one of the reasons why new vehicles aren't in service yet. A decision might have been made between them arriving and now, which has delayed their entry to service. It would have meant them getting a new system or an old one. By the time the decision has been made, the company had to manufacture the outdated, inferior and off the book products for them, which takes time.

I say might have because its not something I'm 100% about, but you can guarantee its a contributing factor.

*they used to, I don't know if they still do.

I may be reading this completely wrong - but are the new buses awaiting a decision on whether or not to wait for the new tracking system (whenever that might be) to go into service or has the decision already been made and they're having the current type AVLs fitted?

(sorry I'm quite tired and it's been a long day!)

OmniCity999

Established Member
I may be reading this completely wrong - but are the new buses awaiting a decision on whether or not to wait for the new tracking system (whenever that might be) to go into service or has the decision already been made and they're having the current type AVLs fitted?

(sorry I'm quite tired and it's been a long day!)
Thats alright, im not known for being very clear...

It is my thought the delay was waiting for the decision wether or not the system was to be updated. Now that decision has been made, the delay has been extended due to waiting for the manufacturer making a defunct product for this batch.

If we say the decision was made not to go ahead with the updates in ~July, then these started to arrive a couple months ago - the new (old) product was ordered, then the time to make that old product, for the whole batch, its substantial.

But it is little things like this that cause delays.

It explains why before entering service, every batch of buses goes to Seafield and sits there for between 2 weeks and 2 months, waiting on AVL's. They need to manufacture a product that they havent offered for years - its a custom order.

Other operators are able to order a bus and press it into service as and when required, because the manufacturer of the vehicle can just install it. Whereas we're fighting with the antiquated system, it takes longer. The bus is built, sent to us and we install the systems.