• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Bus 190 was in service yesterday and bus 169 is in service today, surely they'd use a 7900 instead of an Eclipse 2 to save the batteries, or is there a reason behind this?

They took quite a few MCVs off the 30 yesterday and replaced them with 7900s, presumably to give them a run out unless anyone knows different.

I don't presume to know the exact reason, but I know the 7900s aren't favored vehicles - you can see that by how few of the 50 are out on any day. Two of the three original buses on the 12 have been changed already today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They took quite a few MCVs off the 30 yesterday and replaced them with 7900s, presumably to give them a run out unless anyone knows different.

I don't presume to know the exact reason, but I know the 7900s aren't favored vehicles - you can see that by how few of the 50 are out on any day. Two of the three original buses on the 12 have been changed already today.
What is the main problems about the Volvo 7900H apart from concrete seats?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
What is the main problems about the Volvo 7900H apart from concrete seats?

A few more than uncomfortable seats, the cab seats are comfortable enough though!

I'd rather not post anything negative - it's certainly not maintenence issues as with all Lothian vehicles they're extremely well looked after. I just don't think they were Volvo's finest hour and I'll leave it at that.

Lothiangem22

A few more than uncomfortable seats, the cab seats are comfortable enough though!

I'd rather not post anything negative - it's certainly not maintenence issues as with all Lothian vehicles they're extremely well looked after. I just don't think they were Volvo's finest hour and I'll leave it at that.
Well put!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member

Cab seat is probably the only thing I like about these buses. Always thought it was really cool how it adjusted itself the way it does.

But yea as for the rest of the bus not much positives to look at. And agreed nothing to do with Lothian. I always felt for customers the 7900’s were a step backwards over 101-130 and that 136-166 would’ve suited the route better with the 7900’s used on the other Longstone routes.

Time will tell if the eVoRa’s are any better, so far so good though.

route101

Established Member
Wouldn't it suffer the same fate as the EX1? Even running on the M8, it can't begin to compete with the train. Is it maybe better to try and develop better links with trains throughout West Lothian? Livingston South has a nifty bus terminal but the services that use it aren't co-ordinated with train departures - same issue at Fauldhouse. The bus arrives just as the train is due to leave.

Yes, services to railway stations could be a lot better. Livingston like East Kilbride has poor services to its railway stations. A guy I know just walks from Livingston South to the centre.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus9120UK

Established Member

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This was released a few days ago now, also I have noticed the user lives in Fife so I am not sure if this was legally filmed
You don't know whether the person conducting the filming was making an essential journey or not, therefore it's not relevant to this thread. Bluntly put, mind your own business.

The new map of the 275 serving the Pyramids in Bathgate now is available.

I've attached one with the New full route map and one of the New Bathgate route map.

Link to article

Attachments

• 210214-275-Route-Map_275_275-NEW-NEW-1024x605-7.png
    210214-275-Route-Map_275_275-NEW-NEW-1024x605-7.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 210214-275-Route-Map_275_BathgateZoom-1024x710-4.png
    210214-275-Route-Map_275_BathgateZoom-1024x710-4.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 36

CN04NRJ

Established Member
As covered multiple times on multiple threads.

Mood lighting has been part of the spec for a while now, at least as far back as 2016.

Unrelated question but have B9TLs been receiving Euro 6 upgrades? I've noticed some of the ex-London and native 11 plates i've driven recently have the little red/yellow box fitted in the cab with emission related guidance on what the lights mean and a noticeable change in performance on said vehicles (presumably part of the engine remap?).

OmniCity999

Established Member
Unrelated question but have B9TLs been receiving Euro 6 upgrades? I've noticed some of the ex-London and native 11 plates i've driven recently have the little red/yellow box fitted in the cab with emission related guidance on what the lights mean and a noticeable change in performance on said vehicles (presumably part of the engine remap?).
work has indeed started, a couple different systems are being tested. It's not quite en-masse, but a number of examples have been done.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
This was released a few days ago now, also I have noticed the user lives in Fife so I am not sure if this was legally filmed
Does it really matter weather it was or not? Who knows if they were making an essential journey or not, who cares if they were or not?

route101

Established Member
I agree. Utterly pointless.

Noticed a few film this way, I think all they care is the sound of the bus. I seen one who uploaded of the camera facing a window pillar.

Anyway, I look forward to taking a journey on them new buses. I think ive only sampled one evora.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Does it really matter weather it was or not? Who knows if they were making an essential journey or not, who cares if they were or not?

agreed, folk tend to act like they are the covid police nowadays and it’s really no ones business to be a grass.

I notice a lot of videos are like this and that’s fine if thats what they are, let folk have their interests and leave them

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Noticed a few film this way, I think all they care is the sound of the bus. I seen one who uploaded of the camera facing a window pillar.

Anyway, I look forward to taking a journey on them new buses. I think ive only sampled one evora.
Aye, i dont understand pointing it at a seat or a window pillar, at least filming down the inside or out the window is something of interest to look at

Bus9120UK

Established Member
agreed, folk tend to act like they are the covid police nowadays and it’s really no ones business to be a grass.

I notice a lot of videos are like this and that’s fine if thats what they are, let folk have their interests and leave them
I make these videos myself, I am not annoyed or angry at them - I was just simply wondering, really don't understand the issue with that! Anyways I do not want to cause arguments so I wish this does not continue.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I tried an eVoRa yesterday for the first time. Seem well built, I have to say I prefer the layout of the Eclipse3’s but the difference in build quality is night and day. The 38 is a fairly bumpy journey and didn’t feel a thing. Personally I do prefer the Eclipse2’s over the eVoRa’s but I can see Lothian ordering more if they do decide to move the 7900’s on and I can definitely see them replacing Eclipse2’s when they come to them.

The B8RLE chassis when it engages kickdown on a hill reminds me so much of the earlier Leyland Olympians, not sure why just think the sounds are similar. Wonder if Volvo and ZF are still using some small designs from back then.

The eVoRa’s feel a lot lighter than the Gemini3’s I’m used to travelling on and I think the lighter grey parts make it better, arguably previous batches in my view have been too dark, especially the Gemini3’s.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I tried an eVoRa yesterday for the first time. Seem well built, I have to say I prefer the layout of the Eclipse3’s but the difference in build quality is night and day. The 38 is a fairly bumpy journey and didn’t feel a thing. Personally I do prefer the Eclipse2’s over the eVoRa’s but I can see Lothian ordering more if they do decide to move the 7900’s on and I can definitely see them replacing Eclipse2’s when they come to them.

The B8RLE chassis when it engages kickdown on a hill reminds me so much of the earlier Leyland Olympians, not sure why just think the sounds are similar. Wonder if Volvo and ZF are still using some small designs from back then.

The eVoRa’s feel a lot lighter than the Gemini3’s I’m used to travelling on and I think the lighter grey parts make it better, arguably previous batches in my view have been too dark, especially the Gemini3’s.

That would be the Ecolife 2 gearbox that ZF produced from 2019 onwards. First time I drove one of the MCVs I was quite impressed with the gearbox and it was noticeably different to previous vehicles i've driven with an Ecolife (Lothian B5s, B9s, first and second generation Citaros and 1st/2nd gen E400s Scania/ADL) - it's a vast improvement on the previous gearbox which was quite good anyway.

Obviously have no idea of the mechanical differences but as you said the way it changes gear and engages kickdown makes them very pleasant to drive - I had a quick first ride on one the other day (for work purposes) and was very impressed with the ride comfort and quality as a passenger too.

Last edited:

eoff

Aye, i dont understand pointing it at a seat or a window pillar, at least filming down the inside or out the window is something of interest to look at
Presumably the person making the film is trying to avoid unsettling other passengers who may think they are the focus of any filming.

This is the last YouTube video I'll put up here in regards to this for now.

An video of two of Lothian's MCV eVoRa's on service 36 at Glenlockhart, the video is filmed by "BlazeClone's YT Vidz" including SJ70 HNE (70) and SJ70 HNF (71).

I have put a link to the YouTube video below

*Mod note* Adding the letter "V" at the start and end of your caption is not required and may cause confusion for those who are using assistive technologies to read the forum. Please refrain from doing so.

Last edited by a moderator: