• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Another image has been released of one of the new B5TL E400MMC's. I do like the look of them, and the use of smart seat - although there will only be 8 of these (I believe?)

I notice it has a small dent on the rear

Obviously not my photo, credits to David Oakley

It looks relatively short (by Lothian standards)

If there are only 8 are they for a very restricted route, that nothing else suitable would fit on, as Lothian don’t normally order batches that small.

OmniCity999

Established Member

If there are only 8 are they for a very restricted route, that nothing else suitable would fit on, as Lothian don’t normally order batches that small.
These are 11.3m Lothians "standard" before the Enviro400XLB's. These were supposed to be going to East Coast but have been diverted.

Lots of B9's and B7's have been removed from main fleet so these are being diverted there first. Future deliveries will include vehicles for East Coast.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

The London B9TLs are even shorter again, and are used on almost any Longstone route. Can't remember what they were used on when they were at Central though.

route101

Established Member
The London B9TLs are even shorter again, and are used on almost any Longstone route. Can't remember what they were used on when they were at Central though.
Short wheel based like First Glasgow. I remember them on the 4 route.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
They were usually out on the 29.
For some reason they rarely appeared on the 8, despite being pretty much ideal for it.
Yea usually the 8, 14 or 29 and I thought the latter was perfect for them, 21, 48 and 49 among others are good for them. They were ok for the 8 but sometimes felt a bit congested during peak hours, more just a space issue than capacity.

mb88

Service 280 withdrawn from Blackridge for the remainder of the day due to yet more vandalism incidents.

SpeedbirdA350

I believe 280 has gone back to the normal route now but if anything else happens, will be fully withdrawn for the rest of the night.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could we please refrain from asking for every single little detail about these incidents? It's enough to know that damage occurred. Let's not forget that there are drivers who read this thread and it's a frightening experience to have it happen when you're essentially at your place of work. Show a wee bit of decorum.

DunsBus

Established Member
Despite there being trackers appearing on finlaysmith.com for 600+?
As has been said above (and several times previously on this thread) the use of four-figure fleetnumbers, like the use of depot codes, is no more.

OmniCity999

Established Member
As has been said above (and several times previously on this thread) the use of four-figure fleetnumbers, like the use of depot codes, is no more.
to be pedantic, it's still current. The belief is that there'll be no new deliveries on 4 digit fleet numbers.

No fleet renumbering is scheduled i believe, so four digit fleet numbers will remain, just not with new deliveries.

Ricky Kane

to be pedantic, it's still current. The belief is that there'll be no new deliveries on 4 digit fleet numbers.

No fleet renumbering is scheduled i believe, so four digit fleet numbers will remain, just not with new deliveries.
I've noticed that 529-534 are live again to.

Mal

It looks very plain without the gold lining! As a side question, I thought the city coat of arms was being applied to all Lothian city buses?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It looks very plain without the gold lining! As a side question, I thought the city coat of arms was being applied to all Lothian city buses?
I believe these have not been added yet, the gold linings are all Vynils

The Coat of arms have only appeared on ADL buses so far

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I hope we won’t be seeing the Lothiancity branding applied to this batch of B5TL’s, it’s an unnecessary extra brand in my view. The livery suits the ADL body better so it’s hopefully a case of them looking livery/branding wise like 201-215.

As nice as the coat of arms are on the livery not too sure if it’ll be getting applied anymore, but when it takes the place of the legals it does look nicer than just the plain old text with LOTHIAN BUSES LIMITED, registered address etc.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Seems as though the early 400s are having their Mobitec units stripped out in favour of Hanover units. Not sure how many have been done so far though.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Seems as though the early 400s are having their Mobitec units stripped out in favour of Hanover units. Not sure how many have been done so far though.
401-403 were done pre lockdown I believe (just before), 404-406 sometime close to the end of last year, they were the only ones I know of. With potentially some of the ones previously on the now sold B9TL’s hopefully 407 upwards are starting to get them now?

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
401-403 were done pre lockdown I believe (just before), 404-406 sometime close to the end of last year, they were the only ones I know of. With potentially some of the ones previously on the now sold B9TL’s hopefully 407 upwards are starting to get them now?
The B9TLs if reuses should pass theirs straight onto 407-425 and 551-570 now all the 11 plates are done with the B7s Hannovers.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I got it wrong, for some reason I thought I'd been driving 416 when it was infact 406 so I don't think any more have been done.