• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
I heard somewhere all new or transfered buses have to go to vosa
well thats just not true.

ive never driven a bus from Seafield (or Marine, Livingston, Central or the others) to Livingston or Seafield (or Marine, Livingston, Central or the others) to Musselburgh via Vosa, someones on the wind up there.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I heard somewhere all new or transfered buses have to go to vosa, so would I be right in guessing that some of them will be in the Livingston one?

Why would they arbitrarily have to go to the DVSA? (hasn't been VOSA for years).

well thats just not true.

ive never driven a bus from Seafield (or Marine, Livingston, Central or the others) to Livingston or Seafield (or Marine, Livingston, Central or the others) to Musselburgh via Vosa, someones on the wind up there.
Probably they are, maybe they're meaning transfers between different companies, thats just what I was told.
Thanks.

Does anyone know if their is going to be a service change soon because of the easing of lockdown?

Why would they arbitrarily have to go to the DVSA? (hasn't been VOSA for years).
I thought they done testing for buses and trucks?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Probably they are, maybe they're meaning transfers between different companies, thats just what I was told.
Thanks.

Does anyone know if their is going to be a service change soon because of the easing of lockdown?

I thought they done testing for buses and trucks?

They can do MOTs I think, but I think like most major companies Lothian do MOTs at their own facilities?

Can't think why any reason why the DVSA would want to inspect new buses?

And for the first question about service changes, I'd expect news very soon.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Can't think why any reason why the DVSA would want to inspect new buses?
I think I was told ages ago that the first of a new type of vehicle (e.g. these B5TL E400s) have to undergo further testing, presumably at DVSA? Not sure how true that is though

JModulo

I think I was told ages ago that the first of a new type of vehicle (e.g. these B5TL E400s) have to undergo further testing, presumably at DVSA? Not sure how true that is though
Its usually just the case that one would need to go as its a new type, no need for them all. Providing theres no issues they will then all receive a cert of initial fitness.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I believe its all done at development stage then first completed vehicle is checked over before delivery to owner. Once the design is signed off, they dont care.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Its usually just the case that one would need to go as its a new type, no need for them all. Providing theres no issues they will then all receive a cert of initial fitness.
I believe its all done at development stage then first completed vehicle is checked over before delivery to owner. Once the design is signed off, they dont care.
Thank you both!

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Oh yes, I meant after they've received type certification. Which would usually just involve one bus? (nevermind! see it's already been answered - the new posts didn't load on my phone).

Last edited:

Graeme Duncan

Which vehicles will replaced for the South Queensferry Shuttle once B9,S 905/6 are withdrawn.
My guess is 401 and 402.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Which vehicles will replaced for the South Queensferry Shuttle once B9,S 905/6 are withdrawn.
My guess is 401 and 402.
Who says they're being withdrawn? As I understand they're euro 6 upgraded?
This.

Theres no plans to change their duties. Things don't get changed without reason and said vehicles have been upgraded to Euro 6. So why change them?

Apologies for going (slightly) off topic; I seem to remember a while ago (one of the pandemic timetables?), possibly when the 44 was terminating in the city centre, that the 124(?) ran extra journeys part route from the city as far as Wallyford, but I can't find anything about that either on the Lothian website or by searching this thread... Did that actually happen? Or am I getting confused with something else? :smile:

SpeedbirdA350

Apologies for going (slightly) off topic; I seem to remember a while ago (one of the pandemic timetables?), possibly when the 44 was terminating in the city centre, that the 124(?) ran extra journeys part route from the city as far as Wallyford, but I can't find anything about that either on the Lothian website or by searching this thread... Did that actually happen? Or am I getting confused with something else? :smile:
No, that did happen. 44 ran to Princes Street and back. Very start of the pandemic, 29th March through April and it ran every 30 min I believe. I can't comment on 124, although I believe this to be the case.

Bus9120UK

Established Member

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Well I stand corrected.....

Is it physically there or is it just where the tracker has placed it?

As it's been explained many times before in this/the old thread the trackers have batteries that last a few days. When they switch off they 'default' to a certain place which doesn't always reflect where they actually are.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

That did happen! before Covid the 26 Sunday timetable was decreased so the 124 ran extra journeys between Edinburgh and Wallyford!

That did happen! before Covid the 26 Sunday timetable was decreased so the 124 ran extra journeys between Edinburgh and Wallyford!
Ah, so I'm not imagining it! :smile: Does anyone know if those timetables are still available to download? I searched on the Twitter and on the Lothian website but couldn't find anything about it. I found some info on the old Lothian Buses thread but the links were all to the dynamic Timetables page on the website which doesn't let you download previous timetables (for some other service changes there was a News post about them containing a link to the timetable PDF). Thanks.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Ah, so I'm not imagining it! :smile: Does anyone know if those timetables are still available to download? I searched on the Twitter and on the Lothian website but couldn't find anything about it. I found some info on the old Lothian Buses thread but the links were all to the dynamic Timetables page on the website which doesn't let you download previous timetables (for some other service changes there was a News post about them containing a link to the timetable PDF). Thanks.
Web archive would be your best bet here. If you get the web address and put it into web archive then you have the option to go back as far as 1999 with Lothian and then ECB since it’s creation.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
As expected, looks like some (or all) Blue interiored Eclipse 2's are now becoming Training Buses replacing the Eclipse 1's (not my photo)1618684330676.png
Also some E400 MMC's (apparently E400 BT's) in the background, more photos coming of them
1618693468219.png1618693475568.png1618693491602.png

Last edited:

OmniCity999

Established Member
Looks like some (or all) Blue interiored Eclipse 2's are now becoming Training Buses (not my photo)View attachment 94583
Also some E400 MMC's (apparently E400 BT's) in the background
At least 5 are in the works for conversion, not all are getting done as we dont need that many.

I believe some are to gain alterations as trainers, but retain service livery, just displaying L plates.

Others will be repainted and refreshed.

new Enviro400 B5TL's on site and in store.

Last edited:

Ricky Kane

Will the new training buses receive TB fleet numbers, and if so will they keep their current fleet number as well?

Last edited by a moderator: