• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Not all of the new E400s have AVL (trackers) fitted. Therefore can’t be tracked.
Ahh okay, I assumed they all had them from new.
Is there a plan to fit them to the whole fleet? It's not ideal when the app only gives the timetabled time, which comes and goes and no bus turns up!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not all of the new E400s have AVL (trackers) fitted. Therefore can’t be tracked.
As far as I'm aware none of the 600s do, but they still track using the ticket machine.
A 600 not tracking usually means either a fault in the Wayfarer or that particular bus hasn't been logged on that board by control.

Ahh okay, I assumed they all had them from new.
Is there a plan to fit them to the whole fleet? It's not ideal when the app only gives the timetabled time, which comes and goes and no bus turns up!
There's a new AVL system in the works, since the current one is massively outdated and the company stopped making them years ago (apart from special orders for Lothian).
The new AVLs are being delayed due to parts shortages with only a few delivered so far, and they won't be installed until the whole fleet can be done at once, since they won't be compatible with the old system and having the two running concurrently would be unnecessarily complicated.

Last edited:

exeter 50044

Its a shame that the 281 is not running as First seem to cancel the 26 from Bathgate towards Fauldhouse on quite a regular basis and LCB could pick up on the slack. I have heard several people at Bathgate comment on this so LCB are missing out.

Also, the 275 could run to and from South Queensferry on peak periods during the day and use the Winchburgh turning circle during off peak, or even use the round trip at Kirkliston.

It's a shame the N28 could not be extended to Whitburn via Armadale.

Last edited by a moderator:

mb88

Its a shame that the 281 is not running as first seem to cancel the 26 from bathgate towards fauldhouse at quite a regular basis and LCB could pick up on the slack as i have heard several people at bathgate comment on this so LCB are missing out.

Also the 275 could run to and from south queensferry on peek periods during the day and use the whinchburgh turning circle during off peek or even use the round trip at kirkliston.

its a shame the N28 could not be extended to whitburn via armadale.
Sadly, the people in Fauldhouse showed where their loyalties lay when LCB went there with the X17 and then subsequently the 281. They would allow them to go by and get the 26. We were carrying fresh air in and out of Fauldhouse.

Not sure what the benefit would be of running the 275 to South Queensferry. I don’t think the demand is there for a service into West Lothian from there. If anything were to be done with the 275 I think it should be it being put back into Edinburgh Park via the Gyle.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Also, the 275 could run to and from South Queensferry on peak periods during the day and use the Winchburgh turning circle during off peak, or even use the round trip at Kirkliston.
There isn't much point, demand is limited and it's easy enough to get a bus to Ratho Station and connect with the 63. Keep in mind also that the Stagecoach X51 provides a direct link from Livingston to Ferrymuir Retail Park and the stops on the A9000 just before the Forth Road Bridge. For much of South Queensferry either of these stops is within manageable walking distance.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I don't think the 275 will ever be extended back to The Gyle as the X18 basically covers it by serving Maybury and the 275 didn't have very high passenger numbers to begin with.
For me I’d like to see a link to the Airport restored. Livingston/Broxburn looks to be the one of the few areas you can easily access from the Airport that doesn’t have a direct link anymore. Which route would be best I’m not so sure, would probably only need to be hourly for now with a view to go half hourly when travel is near what it was.

exeter 50044

The only reason the 7 does not run during the day to South Queensferry is because the council would not pay a subsidy to run the service all day. The service you see today is because of this. Also, the new development in Winchburgh would be worth tapping into but who wants the hassle of changing buses when a direct one would be bette?

The only reason the 7 does not run during the day to South Queensferry is because the council would not pay a subsidy to run the service all day. The service you see today is because of this. Also, the new development in Winchburgh would be worth tapping into but who wants the hassle of changing buses when a direct one would be bette?
I'd suggest the primary reason the 7 doesn't run all day is lack of demand out to South Queensferry outside peak hours.
The only reason it runs (one way) at peak times is because the council pays and view it as socially necessary. I can't see this route extension being attractive to Lothian Country on a commercial basis, or First for that matter.

overthewater

Established Member
The no7 does not operated during the day because there is already commercial routes in place for the past 10 years.

BobScott

Probably was planned as a new training livery that never happened. In the same style that the renumbered open tops 216-219 had.
It was planned to be a mobile ticket office/promotional vehicle to replace the Marshall-bodied Dart but never completed. So sold in unfinished condition.

stevenedin

Any more word of bus service changes in June?
PM0000002/570 LOTHIAN BUSES LIMITED, 55 ANNANDALE STREET, EDINBURGH, EH7 4AZ
From: Queensferry Hawes Pier, Edinburgh To: St Andrew Square, Edinburgh
Via: Barnton, West End
Name or No.: X99
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 17 May 2022
Other details: Service will operate between 18/05/22 to 27/09/22 only

DunsBus

Established Member
Looks like the Three Bridges Tour is no more, then.

DunsBus

Established Member
Why?

I thought the X99 was a cruise ship shuttle of some sort, or it was the last time it operated
I think it was, now you've mentioned it.

Just checked the Edinburgh Bus Tours website and the Three Bridges Tour still runs but now only at weekends, rather than daily.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The old page for it when it last ran, in 2019 I presume, is here: https://www.lothianbuses.com/timetables/cruiselink-x99/

Cruiselink X99​

X99_web_685.jpg

Taking cruise visitors from Queensferry to the heart of Edinburgh​

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Was expecting this one. Got told a few weeks back it was returning. Don’t think it will be too long before the X50 does too.

Was expecting this one. Got told a few weeks back it was returning. Don’t think it will be too long before the X50 does too.
What was the X50?
(As an aside, I did try searching using the search bar on the Lothian website; does anyone else find that this doesn't work when on a mobile device? Even when I switch to "desktop mode" it still won't let me search.)
Also who runs the X50/X99, Central?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Also who runs the X50/X99, Central?
I want to say the Cruiselinks were majority run by Central with a small number of extra buses from Longstone and Marine but if I’m honest I’m not 100% confident on that at all. It may even be that Central ran the whole thing but borrowed other depots buses for a few days at a time, as these services only run when they need to.

Lothiangem22

The cruise links will be operated by all depot’s this year with each providing an equal quota of buses/drivers

overthewater

Established Member

Just checked the Edinburgh Bus Tours website and the Three Bridges Tour still runs but now only at weekends, rather than daily.

Im sure the website is wrong and the Three bridges tour was reverted back to daily for the summer season. I have seen it out during the week.