• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
There’s not an electric bus on the market that would handle the work on the 100. Not only that, remember that luggage space is needed as well.
Hence why I said ‘if a suitable one is available by then’. There is no suitable product yet.
What's the difference between these and the electric vehicles in Greater Glasgow? Electric range is always the issue when discussed in this thread but I haven't particularly noticed Lanarkshire and Inverclyde having the same issue? Maybe I'm just not reading the right threads though.
I suspect this is largely due to the fact Edinburgh is built on large hills. Most of Glasgow is built on much smaller hills from what I remember.
The Airlink is a heavy load (full buses and luggage) on an intense route (lots of fast running, a few inclines including the sliproad, leaving the airport and gyle underpass) and buses do a lot of miles a day. I'm not sure if electric vehicles would keep up with it YET, unless the charging tech was in place at either end to top up the charge. The XLBs aren't showing any wear yet and passengers still find the 'wow' factor in them, so I don't think the company will change them unless a suitable alternatives comes onto the market.
The beneficial thing here is the 100 is a simple enough route with a generally fixed allocation of buses. Having pantograph chargers at each end could work very well.

I agree though the current XLB’s are more than adequate enough for at least another couple of years or so. I don’t think zero emission technology is far away from being practical on the Airlink, but for now there’s no suitable product.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There would need to be a big leap in technology for an electric DD to be a viable replacement for what is very demanding work on the Airlink vehicles (the BYDs can just about manage 11 hours on the 23 and are woefully low capacity). I think Euro VII (whenever they're released) diesels are probably more likely - hydrogen is interesting but not possible at Central as it stands.
The BYDs are not really a good bus to use as a benchmark anymore as essentially every other electric bus on the market has significantly superior range and we're talking 100-150 miles greater in some cases. Even the next generation Enviro400EV on the all new ADL developed chassis has an advertised range thats 100 miles greater than that of the BYD based Enviro400EV.

I think Battery Electric deckers utilising opportunity charging could work well on the Airlink given most runs get 10-15 minutes at either end of the route.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The first of the B7RLEs has left for paint, this being 190. It paused at Longstone but is now en route. Hopefully a matter of time before it becomes clear what it's being painted into soon.

Last edited:
The first of the B7RLEs has left for paint, this being 190. It paused at Longstone but is now en route. Hopefully a matter of time before it becomes clear what it's being painted into soon.
For those who would like it, here's 190 without its vinyls (Except fleet numbers.)
1673545140716.png

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It looks like the remaining ECB Gemini2’s are being remembered out of the 20xxx series. 20944 and 20948 have already been renumbered back to 944 and 948. I’d be surprised if the other 3 (that’s 20937, 20939 and 20945) haven’t been renumbered as well. It’s worth noting none of these have been repainted yet - alongside 935 and 942.

It looks like the remaining ECB Gemini2’s are being remembered out of the 20xxx series. 20944 and 20948 have already been renumbered back to 944 and 948. I’d be surprised if the other 3 (that’s 20937, 20939 and 20945) haven’t been renumbered as well. It’s worth noting none of these have been repainted yet - alongside 935 and 942.
Since Tuesday, I've only seen 1 with the 20XXX prefix. One of 937 or 939 have been renumbered, unsure which one though.

Swapped at Ferrymill for 1041.

ScotlandBuses

Hello, does anyone know from when the buses were repainted from harlequin to the newer madder and white? Were they spray painted or was a roller and brush used?

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Hello, does anyone know when the buses were repainted from harlequin to the newer madder and white? Were they spray painted or was a roller and brush used?
I believe this started in 2010. If I remember correctly 101, 720 and 725 were the first to be unveiled to the public.

Lobuster

Plus. 649 was the one and only Trident in the fleet in the new madder and white livery

Lothianbus703

Do buses with "Mobitec" destination signs have to get destinations updated seperately to "Hanover"? I am aware that they use different programs but I also know that bus destinations are updated via a sort of memory stick that is inserted into the destination controller inside the buses (or remotely otherwise). Can "Mobitec" destinations be updated with the exact same data that is used to update Hanovers or do they have to create a whole new set of data?

- By data i mean do they have to go into the mobitec program on a computer and make mobitec destinations there or can they use the same data as hanover?

I am not an expert on the way Lothian updates their destination blinds and i am wondering if anybody has any more info on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stan Drews

Established Member
Do buses with "Mobitec" destination signs have to get destinations updated seperately to "Hanover"? I am aware that they use different programs but I also know that bus destinations are updated via a sort of memory stick that is inserted into the destination controller inside the buses (or remotely otherwise). Can "Mobitec" destinations be updated with the exact same data that is used to update Hanovers or do they have to create a whole new set of data?

- By data i mean do they have to go into the mobitec program on a computer and make mobitec destinations there or can they use the same data as hanover?

I am not an expert on the way Lothian updates their destination blinds and i am wondering if anybody has any more info on it.
They are completely different, so separate files are required.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I think Hanover blinds are capable of updating over depot WiFi.

WibbleWobble

Hanover and Mobitec are completely different competing systems, so each have their own programs to add, remove or edit displays. Hanover uses "Helen", whilst Mobitec uses "MIE" (Mobitec Information Editor).

How they are updated depends on the age of the controller. Modern controllers can be updated via USB, and it is possible to hold files for both on the same USB stick. As has been said, Hanover can be updated via wifi, although this needs a separate piece of kit on the bus.

Older Hanovers have to be updated using a Keylo fob, which is updated via either a dedicated base station or using a controller configured to act as a transfer unit. Older Mobitecs were updated via an XD card.

Both 1040 and 1044 are going for repaint at the same time, so it will probably be two buses on the way back, 190 seems to be one.

I don't know which buses are coming back but 190 is now tracking so I'm assuming 190 will be on the way back.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Both 1040 and 1044 are going for repaint at the same time, so it will probably be two buses on the way back, 190 seems to be one.

I don't know which buses are coming back but 190 is now tracking so I'm assuming 190 will be on the way back.

190 will likely be returning from paint today in unknown colours, if you want to see it and find out what colours it is in the route is through Kirkintilloch, Lenzie and then the M80 at J3, M80, M876, M9, M8, A720, A1, A199. It should arrive back at Seafield sometime between 13:00 and 14:00. You will also be able to track it on bustimes.org

Im afraid I can't find it today nor expect anybody else to do so but it would be good to know what it's been painted into.

It cannot even be guaranteed it will return, but it makes the most logical sense at this time.

Last edited:
190 will likely be returning from paint today in unknown colours, if you want to see it and find out what colours it is in the route is through Kirkintilloch, Lenzie and then the M80 at J3, M80, M876, M9, M8, A720, A1, A199. It should arrive back at Seafield sometime between 13:00 and 14:00. You will also be able to track it on bustimes.org

Im afraid I can't find it today nor expect anybody else to do so but it would be good to know what it's been painted into.

It cannot even be guaranteed it will return, but it makes the most logical sense at this time.
I'll see if I can go later on to see it, although no guarantees. I assume we'll find out in the coming weeks.

I am using bustimes.org to track the buses.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I'll see if I can go later on to see it, although no guarantees. I assume we'll find out in the coming weeks.

I am using bustimes.org to track the buses.
Typically buses go inside Seafield pretty much straight away after returning from repaint. So if you’re going to try and find it, you’ll probably need to see it on its return.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
594 has moved out of Marine this morning. It had visited Central briefly and is now currently on what appears to be some form of Test Run. Think this is the first time in several months any of these Gemini2 B5LH’s have moved.

594 has moved out of Marine this morning. It had visited Central briefly and is now currently on what appears to be some form of Test Run. Think this is the first time in several months any of these Gemini2 B5LH’s have moved.
Could they be moving to Lothian Country, or testing to get sold?

scosutsut

I got the impression rightly or wrongly that 591-4 we're working away presumably without issue at LC, got repainted and transferred to ECB and broke almost immediately.

I struggle to see that the route profiles are so drastically different between the two?

Both have reasonable running in back country roads / some fast dual carriageway work - but is it that different?