• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Another predictable reaction to the changes appeared in tonight's Edinburgh Evening News, from a Dumbiedykes resident complaining that (yet again) their area has been overlooked.

There's a simple reason as to why no buses serve the Dumbiedykes. It's called money.
Didn't you know that the 6 and 60 were withdrawn because they were too popular and well used?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Didn't you know that the 6 and 60 were withdrawn because they were too popular and well used?

Noooooo.. Really? ;)

Another predictable reaction to the changes appeared in tonight's Edinburgh Evening News, from a Dumbiedykes resident complaining that (yet again) their area has been overlooked.

There's a simple reason as to why no buses serve the Dumbiedykes. It's called money.

Does this resident fall into the category of under 22 or over 60? because if you decide to expand to an area where you are probably destined to get maybe 1 or 2 passengers and maybe one of
them is actually paying for a bus fare? is it worth it?

When the 35 was diverted for months via Dumbiedykes did the residents find it handy? and not to mention, Dumbiedykes is not far from say Southside, where loads of buses serve? I can imagine a similar reaction when the 4 will no longer serve the turning circle! or the 14 when the old terminus was no longer used

stevenedin

To be fair, the routes were very short and it would’ve been better for longer routes to include Holyrood Road and Dumbiedykes as it could’ve made them more popular. The only other option would be a city centre circular route which goes all around the city centre.

JKP

To be fair, the routes were very short and it would’ve been better for longer routes to include Holyrood Road and Dumbiedykes as it could’ve made them more popular. The only other option would be a city centre circular route which goes all around the city centre.
I remember riding on an Edinburgh City Transport or possibly earlier days of LRT Seddon Pennine midibus between the City Centre and this area back in the early 1970s. I was the only passenger in both directions.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

I think that was a big problem! If the 22 wasn’t going to go to Granton another alternative i would have suggested would have been extending it to Holyrood via North Bridge, Royal Mile, Dumbiedykes or maybe even the 15 or 43?

DunsBus

Established Member
I remember riding on an Edinburgh City Transport or possibly earlier days of LRT Seddon Pennine midibus between the City Centre and this area back in the early 1970s. I was the only passenger in both directions.
I remember of the 45 serving the Dumbiedykes for a few years ahead of deregulation.

A330Alex

You have to laugh at all those complaining on LB's Facebook feed about the 4 no longer calling at Bingham roundabout after the end of this month. It will still serve Bingham, just not doing the short double-run to and from the roundabout.

You could under the moaning if the 4 had been removed from there completely, but we're talking about a difference of a few hundred yards here, not a trek all the way to the north end of Duddingston Row.
I don’t think people appreciate how much even (relatively) tiny changes can add up. With that change, assuming a one minute saving, you’re getting back nearly two hours of running time each day.

InOban

Established Member
The only feasible way to serve Dumbiedykes would be to extend a route which terminates on Waterloo Place/Regent Road. Down Abbey Hill, round the Parliament and Dynamic Earth and into Viewcraig Street, which is the only place a bus could turn round. However I'm not sure that this would take the residents anywhere they would like to go.

The estate has been designed without any through roads and because of steep slope no prospect of converting any of the access paths into a bus gate.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
The only feasible way to serve Dumbiedykes would be to extend a route which terminates on Waterloo Place/Regent Road. Down Abbey Hill, round the Parliament and Dynamic Earth and into Viewcraig Street, which is the only place a bus could turn round. However I'm not sure that this would take the residents anywhere they would like to go.

When was the last time a bus served Viewcraig Street? An extension from Waterloo place is bound to add at least 10 minutes extra journey time, which compared to walking would save 10 minutes at least, the question being is it worth it? but that would depend if anyone would use the bus for other means? Like a trip to Arthur Seat or Holyrood? problem is that there’s no bus stops at the Parliament anymore..

In terms of service I would say the 15 would be the best candidate to experiment with it? It’s already an hourly service and yes it is busy for students at Easter Bush, (note that Holyrood also has student accommodations) and if it fails then worse case scenario is cut it back to Waterloo Place.

I remember of the 45 serving the Dumbiedykes for a few years ahead of deregulation.

Was that not when the service was diverted via Spring Gardens? that would be a nightmare nowadays! Would be better running a service bus through the park!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Perhaps a survey should be put out. This could involve identifying what the potential users want in terms of routing and frequency. If insufficient people respond or no credible options are put forward then it can finally be put to bed.

Dave2105

Viewcraig street is a bit tight to send a bus down. Maybe Divert the 45 to go Abbey Mount, Horse Wynd, Holyrood Road, the Pleasance, West Richmond Street then Nicholson Square.

Last edited by a moderator:

DunsBus

Established Member
When was the last time a bus served Viewcraig Street? An extension from Waterloo place is bound to add at least 10 minutes extra journey time, which compared to walking would save 10 minutes at least, the question being is it worth it? but that would depend if anyone would use the bus for other means? Like a trip to Arthur Seat or Holyrood? problem is that there’s no bus stops at the Parliament anymore..

In terms of service I would say the 15 would be the best candidate to experiment with it? It’s already an hourly service and yes it is busy for students at Easter Bush, (note that Holyrood also has student accommodations) and if it fails then worse case scenario is cut it back to Waterloo Place.

Was that not when the service was diverted via Spring Gardens? that would be a nightmare nowadays! Would be better running a service bus through the park!
No, the 45 was running along London Road by then. From there it went via Montrose Terrace, Abbeymount, Abbeyhill, Horse Wynd, Holyrood Road and St Mary's Street to High Street.

Does anyone know which service 997 is on today? If you respond it'll be muchly appreciated.

I found out it's on a Service 24 again.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
185 is out on the 45 today.
This was at Longstone before entering service at Marine so it likely was only there to have work completed mechanically since it was off service for a long period of time. 187/9 are at Longstone now and I wonder if they'll move to Marine as well.

1022 returned from repair at Ferrymill today, leaving 36 and 424. 512 is currently headed away for paint and 1127 will return.

VioletEclipse

Evora 94 is on service 45 today. I do wonder if service 45 is going to have a different allocation of buses after the service changes. It's very possible that the current main buses for the service (39-50 and 951-960) will end up with different allocations.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Evora 94 is on service 45 today. I do wonder if service 45 is going to have a different allocation of buses after the service changes. It's very possible that the current main buses for the service (39-50 and 951-960) will end up with different allocations.
The new requirement for the 45 should be 5. With the 12 transferring to Marine (which needs 6) that’s a total of 11 from a pool of 12 7900’s.

I think it’s increasingly likely that Marine will get all of 176-190 for the 46 and 48 (13 buses required). Between the 7900’s and the Eclipse2’s that leaves up to 3 spare.

paul47B

A few weeks ago I put out the question "Which is Lothians busiest route?"" I mentioned that I would get in touch with Lothian to see what their answer was. The question I asked them was which route is busiest per journey? They replied saying they cant give out that information as its commercially sensitive. I still feel that overall the 37 is busiest per journey, although all the routes carry lots of passengers.

Jordan1296

A few weeks ago I put out the question "Which is Lothians busiest route?"" I mentioned that I would get in touch with Lothian to see what their answer was. The question I asked them was which route is busiest per journey? They replied saying they cant give out that information as its commercially sensitive. I still feel that overall the 37 is busiest per journey, although all the routes carry lots of passengers.
I would have said the 30 or 37, but most are very busy. Being relatively new to Edinburgh and living on the south side, I quickly knew to avoid the 37 and 47 if I want a chance of getting a seat!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I would have said the 30 or 37, but most are very busy. Being relatively new to Edinburgh and living on the south side, I quickly knew to avoid the 37 and 47 if I want a chance of getting a seat!
I'd like to see a 30 with double decker operation at one point to see how busy it is compared to other decker routes. The busy single deckers would create a false impression. I am not denying it's not busy, but other routes like the 25 & 26 are much busier.

DunsBus

Established Member
The new requirement for the 45 should be 5. With the 12 transferring to Marine (which needs 6) that’s a total of 11 from a pool of 12 7900’s.

I think it’s increasingly likely that Marine will get all of 176-190 for the 46 and 48 (13 buses required). Between the 7900’s and the Eclipse2’s that leaves up to 3 spare.
I've noticed that the driver training video for the 46 shows it as going along The Wisp, Milligan Drive and Little France Drive between Niddrie and the RIE (Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh). Lothian's publicity mentions that it follows the same route as the 48 between these two points - clearly not, it would seem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends if your looking at the route as a whole or just particular section the 37 south of loanhead isn't that busy at any time of day. That's a reasonable length on the deanburn ones.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I've noticed that the driver training video for the 46 shows it as going along The Wisp, Milligan Drive and Little France Drive between Niddrie and the RIE. Lothian's publicity mentions that it follows the same route as the 48 between these two points - clearly not, it would seem.
There is a road closure at the moment which is why the bus recording went on diversion. Silly to upload it if you ask me! It was TB6 recording it last week.

DunsBus

Established Member
There is a road closure at the moment which is why the bus recording went on diversion. Silly to upload it if you ask me! It was TB6 recording it last week.
I did wonder why it went that way. Yes, surely it would have been more prudent to wait until the road had reopened before doing the recording!

I was told by a driver that the Eclipses will go on the 46/48, so you will probably be correct.