• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It is good to see it back in service as it must be around 18 months off the road. It did look pretty burnt out at Seafield so probably a waste of resources.
I agree it’s definitely unlikely. 989 from what I remember of it was probably a project not worth doing in the end, but rather one that was done to see if it could be done.

This is 14’s first day back out since 16th December 2021, so yes just marginally over the 18 month mark.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
I agree it’s definitely unlikely. 989 from what I remember of it was probably a project not worth doing in the end, but rather one that was done to see if it could be done.

This is 14’s first day back out since 16th December 2021, so yes just marginally over the 18 month mark.
From what I can remember hearing there was so much money being put into rebuilding 989 that the project had to be seen through to completion, even if it did turn out to be academic in the end.

Contrast with the original Trident 619 after it got mangled on the guided busway. I remember seeing a photo of it at Seafield converted to single-door and awaiting new front and rear ends. That was to be as far as things got as the repairs were then aborted, with what was left of 619 scrapped.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It appears that 997's tracker has stopped (as of Half past 11.)
It was replaced with 431 around that time. I suspect it will only track while it’s actually in service.
It would appear that my theory is correct as it’s now started to track again on the 9 this morning, but only once it’s come into service.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
No doubt this would be the quickest way to Wester Hailes? However probably more expensive when compared to the bus?
£2.90 anytime single. So if the journey needs to be done very quickly I’d say for an extra 90p it’s probably worth it.

If you’re happy to spend 15-20 mins longer the bus is probably just easier.

cammyeaston

£2.90 anytime single. So if the journey needs to be done very quickly I’d say for an extra 90p it’s probably worth it.

If you’re happy to spend 15-20 mins longer the bus is probably just easier.
If travelling after 0915 (and avoiding the 1726 & 1748 from Edinburgh Waverley (plus Haymarket, add a few mins to departure times)) then the off peak day return is far cheaper than a return trip by bus at just £3.20.

There is also the super off peak day return which is £2.50. It cannot be used before 11am and cannot be used to depart Edinburgh Waverley or Haymarket between 1500 and 2000 but is valid in the other direction during those hours.

A wholly off topic post in this thread for which I do apologise but I hope this helps.

stevenedin

How are the new 46 and 48 going? I’ve used the 46 once and it seemed to have decent loadings but do you think it is a success?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
How are the new 46 and 48 going? I’ve used the 46 once and it seemed to have decent loadings but do you think it is a success?
Shall we call it forced success? I guess all the loadings were already there and they just re-did the routes.

I’m still hopeful for an every 20 mins on the 46/48 (combined every 10) and we’ll see where Rosewell and the 31 end up. Equally as ideal but less likely.

The 46’s dreadful Evening and Sunday service needs to be looked at in my opinion. They’ve received a lot of criticism by cutting the evening links to the Royal Infirmary. Is it a deliberate move to eventually withdraw it by stealth? I’d hope not but it is possible. Ideally you’d be wanting something like an every 20 minutes daytime service across the route, then a half hourly Sunday service doing the full route as well. Then maybe Evening buses as half hourly between Royal Infirmary and Rosewell? Ideally the same on the 48 but always running the full route.

Changing these would in my opinion be enough to allow the 30 to be cut back to Fort Kinnaird (West).

stevenedin

Shall we call it forced success? I guess all the loadings were already there and they just re-did the routes.

I’m still hopeful for an every 20 mins on the 46/48 (combined every 10) and we’ll see where Rosewell and the 31 end up. Equally as ideal but less likely.

The 46’s dreadful Evening and Sunday service needs to be looked at in my opinion. They’ve received a lot of criticism by cutting the evening links to the Royal Infirmary. Is it a deliberate move to eventually withdraw it by stealth? I’d hope not but it is possible. Ideally you’d be wanting something like an every 20 minutes daytime service across the route, then a half hourly Sunday service doing the full route as well. Then maybe Evening buses as half hourly between Royal Infirmary and Rosewell? Ideally the same on the 48 but always running the full route.

Changing these would in my opinion be enough to allow the 30 to be cut back to Fort Kinnaird (West).
I agree about the 30, it is empty at Fort Kinnaird now compared to the 46 and 48 (coming from Musselburgh).

Queen Margaret University now has the 4 which is quicker to the city centre than the 30 and for those that want to travel to the route of the 30 can change at Fort Kinnaird to it there.

I think that they should move the 30 to double deckers and terminate at Fort Kinnaird, increase the frequency for the 46 and 48 like you said, move the 24 back to single deckers but use the eVoRas and this frees up deckers for the 30.

buslad1988

Whenever I’ve seen them they’re often running close together - the routes are still prone to bunching and delays just as much as previously. Musselburgh, Fort Kinnaird, Niddrie and Sherifhall are all traffic hotspots. Both routes appear very busy; but as already stated that was always a given really.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Either 173 or 174 is now at GTG in Newbridge its been there for the past week now
Should be 173. I wonder why it’s there though. Have GTG bought it? Or do GTG have access to the relevant independent people to approve the training kit that Lothian have apparently installed?

Should be 173. I wonder why it’s there though. Have GTG bought it? Or do GTG have access to the relevant independent people to approve the training kit that Lothian have apparently installed?
Neither of those would surprise me to be fair.

It seems that Lothian have partnered with GTG in the past for Driver Training vehicles, possibly prompting more driver training vehicles, starting in the name of 173.

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I agree about the 30, it is empty at Fort Kinnaird now compared to the 46 and 48 (coming from Musselburgh).

Queen Margaret University now has the 4 which is quicker to the city centre than the 30 and for those that want to travel to the route of the 30 can change at Fort Kinnaird to it there.

I think that they should move the 30 to double deckers and terminate at Fort Kinnaird, increase the frequency for the 46 and 48 like you said, move the 24 back to single deckers but use the eVoRas and this frees up deckers for the 30.

It's only a matter of time, I still think they should at least try the A1 approach from Fort Kinnaird and become a double decker route that way. I imagine once the new semester begins the 30 will become much busier.

It's only a matter of time, I still think they should at least try the A1 approach from Fort Kinnaird and become a double decker route that way. I imagine once the new semester begins the 30 will become much busier.
If they do that they could even extend the route to Musselburgh Tesco via Musselburgh North High Street? To be fair this would help Musselburgh, they could in theory do other things but I don't want to venture off topic as that's for another forum.

stevenedin

I wonder if 1128-1130 will be repainted back into the Airlink livery as I’ve noticed that they have been on the 100 a lot recently.

Also seen that 500 is on the 44 today.

Where are Lothian finding all the spare deckers to operate the 97, 98 and X99 today? Is there really that much slack in the fleet normally?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Where are Lothian finding all the spare deckers to operate the 97, 98 and X99 today? Is there really that much slack in the fleet normally?
It's something I've wondered. Although various runs today have been operated by single decks or Skylink buses, including 89 on the 3 right now and peak 44 earlier.

roadierway77

20 buses on the services respectively if I have counted correctly.
I count 21 - 12 on the 98, 3 on the 97 and 6 on the X99, though it's possible another bus may have started tracking since you counted. The X99 is more difficult to keep track of as it's not registered as a service on bustimes.

I hope Lothian will put more school journeys on the 400 when schools return because I use the 400 a lot in the weekday afternoon and right now they are delayed and always full by the time it gets to Sighthill.

I hope Lothian can fix this service in the afternoons because its always a riot.

To update this I got on the bus at 15:20 and its passing stops with people waiting because it is full.