• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The 8 seems to have got Centrals B5TL E400MMCs on allocated on it now vice the 11 plate B9TLs, Is this temporary or more permanent?

The 8 seems to have got Centrals B5TL E400MMCs on allocated on it now vice the 11 plate B9TLs, Is this temporary or more permanent?
This will probably be permanent, I suspect the 8/9 getting the BYDs is also permanent but we have to wait until the end of next week so we have an understanding, as these could be changed.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
X27/8 timetable change and X40, 72 announcement now published: https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2023/09/lothian-country-october/
Following the award and acceptance from West Lothian Council for two tender services, we are delighted to announce an expansion to our Lothian Country operations from 15 October 2023.

Service X40 will run Monday to Sunday between St John’s Hospital and the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary via Livingston Centre, Calderwood, Hermiston P&R, Westside Plaza, City Bypass and Gilmerton, strengthening our existing links between West Lothian and Edinburgh.

Service 72 will run Monday to Sunday between Kirkliston and Livingston via Winchburgh, Broxburn and St John’s Hospital, improving local links within the county.

Additionally, we are pleased to announce there will be enhanced service frequency at peak times on Service X27 as well as a revised Sunday timetable on the Service X28 to improve reliability.
New timetables for X27/8 are linked in the article- X28 is only marked as changes to Sunday timetable.

Now that the 7:08 departure to Livingston no longer operates with the bus running full as the 7:02 instead, this confirms that the 6:56 72 from Kirkliston will change to the existing 8:01 X28 from Livingston. I am guessing the 9:10 72 from Kirkliston will come off a bus running light from Edinburgh after a peak run instead of running the full distance back to Livingston depot.

Last edited:

cammyeaston

X27/8 timetable change and X40, 72 announcement now published: https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2023/09/lothian-country-october/

New timetables for X27/8 are linked in the article- X28 is only marked as changes to Sunday timetable.

Now that the 7:08 departure to Livingston no longer operates with the bus running full as the 7:02 instead, this confirms that the 6:56 72 from Kirkliston will change to the existing 8:01 X28 from Livingston. I am guessing the 9:10 72 from Kirkliston will come off a bus running light from Edinburgh after a peak run instead of running the full distance back to Livingston depot.
At a best guess, the 0910 72 will be formed of the bus that works the 0648 X27 from Deans to Edinburgh which is the new additional peak time service.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
At a best guess, the 0910 72 will be formed of the bus that works the 0648 X27 from Deans to Edinburgh which is the new additional peak time service.
I believe the 6:48 operates already, the new service is the 07:02 from Bathgate, but nonetheless this bus from Deans does run back light to the depot once it arrives at Edinburgh so it very well could be the service doing this. Timings would be somewhat tight.

overthewater

Established Member
I'm very surprised the following didn't take place.

X27: Hourly
X28: Now 20/40 timetable

X27/28: every 20mins during the day
X27/40 will operate every 30min between Calderwood - Livingston

Bus9120UK

Established Member

X27: Hourly
X28: Now 20/40 timetable

X27/28: every 20mins during the day
X27/40 will operate every 30min between Calderwood - Livingston
I originally considered this possibility when the X40 was first confirmed, though I don't think they would want to reduce the service into Edinburgh from Calderwood and other X27 only stretches.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I’d have been very surprised if it had happened. Reducing the X27 to hourly would be a disaster. Not to mention the service levels in Kirknewton would be extremely complicated for the X28.

They’ve made the right decision for me. Leaving the X40 as an additional service and having the X27/X28 completely separate from it.

I am growing in confidence that the X40 will be so much of a success that it may result in a subsidy reduction and possibly eventually run commercially.

Last edited:
possibly eventually run commercially.
I also have the feeling that it could become a commercial route in the future. The only reason why it didn't get full loads with E&M Horsburgh is because they aren't well known, especially on the eastern side of Edinburgh. You could say that they ran the "Musselburgh Tesco Buses" but people know those as just "The Tesco Bus", nothing special.

I believe that Lothian, the service will not only attract people from Midlothian but also provide a quicker and cheaper way to reach The Centre in Livingston with Lothian tickets. Despite the buses' quality typically being slightly worse, I think people have more trust in bigger companies (though Lothian's buses are certainly better than E&M Horsburgh's buses, don't kid yourself), and they prefer what they are familiar with. If the X40 becomes a big hitter, they could extend the route to Fort Kinnaird. Although reliability may decrease, adding an extra bus with longer wait times at the terminus, they could still make it happen if they make it direct via The Wisp. Although I don't think they would run it all day to the Fort Kinnaird due to the reliability issues, typically during rush hour.

I am sure that suggestion will please @TheEastCoaster who loves The Wisp, although I suppose we can't really continue talking about extensions without moving away to another thread. :lol:

Last edited:

Mal

Hopefully coming back to Edinburgh in January for about 10 days. Will I be able to buy a Ridacard at Waverley Travelhub by just filling in the application form (with a photo of course!) and paying cash? If so, I imagine I'll be able to use it straight away after issue? Thanks in advance.

Q_Okolo12

Hopefully coming back to Edinburgh in January for about 10 days. Will I be able to buy a Ridacard at Waverley Travelhub by just filling in the application form (with a photo of course!) and paying cash? If so, I imagine I'll be able to use it straight away after issue? Thanks in advance.
Yeah you can do that just fine. They do take photos at the travelhub so you do not need to worry about bringing a photograph. And you can use the ridacard as soon as it is issued. Hope this helps! :)

Mal

Yeah you can do that just fine. They do take photos at the travelhub so you do not need to worry about bringing a photograph. And you can use the ridacard as soon as it is issued. Hope this helps! :) It'll give me my tram fix from
That's grand, thanks a lot!

Lothian have published their "Net Zero" target. For those wondering there is a news article about it and also a link on the front of the website about it for more information. https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2023/09/lothian-driving-towards-net-zero/

An exciting next chapter in Lothian’s journey to reduce emissions and achieve ambitious net zero goals has begun, with the launch of Lothian: Driving towards Net Zero.
The strategy takes a phased and structured approach, and Lothian’s expertise – coupled with partnership working and funding opportunities – will ultimately deliver a significant switch from conventional diesel to zero emission vehicles and infrastructure.

“Lothian’s decarbonisation plan is hugely exciting for us as an operator but also for the city and the communities we serve. As the main bus operator in Edinburgh, we are fully committed to ensuring we play our part in reducing emissions across Edinburgh and the Lothians, ultimately becoming fully net zero by 2035. We’re thrilled to be able to share the details of these plans which have been a long time in the making.”

The first phase of the strategy, from now until the end of 2025, is dedicated to fleet investment an infrastructure. Lothian’s existing fleet replacement programme has seen the removal of around 12,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide from our carbon footprint in a ten-year period. Our business is acutely aware of the effects its services have on our environment and communities, and its responsibilities in achieving local and national government climate change targets.
In the fleet replacement strand of the strategy, a significant investment has already been committed for the purchase of new double deck electric vehicles together with the required infrastructure for Lothian’s Central and Marine depots.
Lothian: Driving towards Net Zero decarbonisation strategy timeline.
The following types of vehicles are being considered as part of this strategy:
  • Fully electric with overnight charging capability that will cover the entire daily service with one charge.
  • Hydrogen fuel cell that will be refuelled at the end of service.
  • Fully electric with opportunity charging facilities within the route.
Under this strategy, Lothian will announce an exciting and innovative scoping project which will explore the feasibility of repowering mid-life diesel buses to electric. Pioneering this technology will allow for potential acceleration of the net zero plan.
To find out more, visit www.lothianbuses.co.uk/netzero

stevenedin

Bus9120UK

Established Member
You'll find the following on this page: https://www.lothianbuses.com/netzero/ourfleet/#one (in the 'driving towards net zero' section)
In the fleet replacement strand of the strategy, a significant investment has already been committed to the purchase of new double deck electric vehicles together with the required infrastructure for Lothian’s Central and Marine depots

It's interesting to see Lothian are also considering converting diesel buses to electric.

Last edited:
At least Lothian are steadily adapting to Zero Emission instead of bulldozing the fleet into electricity or other propulsion.

At least this should mean Lothian will be able to buy a bus product at an advanced stage.

alexf380

Established Member
So much interest in electric and net zero and yet still no BZL order?
No public BZL order. From the press release...

In the fleet replacement strand of the strategy, a significant investment has already been committed for the purchase of new double deck electric vehicles together with the required infrastructure for Lothian’s Central and Marine depots.
Suggests something may be in the early stages of procurement.

stevenedin

So much interest in electric and net zero and yet still no BZL order?
When I read the article yesterday it said that they have committed by placing an order from double decker electric buses but today I can’t see it so I think that they have removed it.

No public BZL order. From the press release...

Suggests something may be in the early stages of procurement.
Thanks that’s the one that I read. Which page is that on?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
When I read the article yesterday it said that they have committed by placing an order from double decker electric buses but today I can’t see it so I think that they have removed it.

Thanks that’s the one that I read. Which page is that on?
I already linked this above:
You'll find the following on this page: https://www.lothianbuses.com/netzero/ourfleet/#one (in the 'driving towards net zero' section)

It's interesting to see Lothian are also considering converting diesel buses to electric.

Graeme Duncan

I have a rough idea that Lothian Buses will be getting 25 new vehicles next year at some point and a further 25 in 2025.

- All 3 of the Enviro400 EVs in service are on the 8/9 surprisingly. I thought they'd be bringing in more passengers therefore warrenting B9TLs or B5TLs?
It seems with this, Service 8 has 292 on weekdays and 291 & 293 on weekends, with Service 9 being the complete opposite.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
It seems with this, Service 8 has 292 on weekdays and 291 & 293 on weekends, with Service 9 being the complete opposite.

Individual type allocations will just be based on wherever they're parked or availability.

Pure coincidence if the same bus types end up on their allocated routes repeatedly, especially as there's only 4 BYDs.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I wonder if, when the BZLs start to arrive in numbers if Lothian don't allocate the four BYD deckers to a dealership for sale? They must already present a headache with their small range which will be exacerbated by the larger one of the BZL and of course even now they are non-standard.

stevenedin

I wonder if, when the b z l start to arrive in numbers if lovian don't allocate the four b y d deckers to a dealership for sale? They must already present a headache with their small range which will be exacerbated by the larger one of the bzl and of course even now they are non-standard
Anything is possible but I don’t think that they would get rid of working electric vehicles at least until they have a lot more electric vehicles in their fleet as it could be seen as going against the net zero pledge.