• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
With such intense usage, you’d think they’d be really worn down, but they still seem to be doing really well all things considered!

They are nicer to drive than the 'regular' XLBs, although they're out for longer it's much less intense on the drivetrain/body. Flat road, fairly smooth in comparison to the rest of the city and more running time on the route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They are nicer to drive than the 'regular' XLBs, although they're out for longer it's much less intense on the drivetrain/body. Flat road, fairly smooth in comparison to the rest of the city and more running time on the route.
Whenever I was on them they were always driven flat out but I haven't been out to the airport since the start of COVID so maybe the running time has been increased since then.
The XLBs all feel like they've got gearbox issues as well, as if they're not set up properly? It's as if there's a gap between gears where the engine is still recieving the full amount of fuel so it ends up revving excessively and then you get a big lurch of acceleration when the gear engages.

Busman757

Bearing in mind, 1128-1133 were used on Amazon shuttles between Stirling/Edinburgh-Amazon Dunfermline during the Christmas period a few years ago. Only annoying thing was they were limited to 45mph (if I can remember). A long slog for motorway driving.

Bearing in mind, 1128-1133 were used on Amazon shuttles between Stirling/Edinburgh-Amazon Dunfermline during the Christmas period a few years ago. Only annoying thing was they were limited to 45mph (if I can remember). A long slog for motorway driving.
Why would they be limited to 45mph?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Fair. Just seems very odd since the rest of the decker fleet is limited to 50mph.

Separately, has the opening of East Linton station had much effect on the loadings on the X7?

They're limited to 49mph, all of the XLBs (well 80kph, so 49.9 or whatever it is but it reads as 49).

LBObserver

I noted this afternoon a number 3, heading to Mayfield, stopping opposite Gilmerton terminus while another driver got out of one of the new small electric vans parked at the terminus and crossed the road. It had the appearance of being a driver changeover, is this a normal location? It would be a fairly quick run around the bypass to Longstone most of the time but it seemed unusual.

Last edited:

paul0762

I noted this afternoon a number 3, heading to Mayfield, stopping opposite Gilmerton terminus while another driver got out of one of the new small electric vans parked at the terminus and crossed the road. It had the appearance of being a driver changeover, is this a normal location? It would be a fairly quick run around the bypass to Longstone most of the time but it seemed unusual.
Could be that the driver needs off the bus asap ( none work issue ) or the driver has been covering for the relief driver and now they are taking over their original shift. If that makes sense

LBObserver

Could be that the driver needs off the bus asap ( none work issue ) or the driver has been covering for the relief driver and now they are taking over their original shift. If that makes sense
I did wonder if the original driver was maybe feeling unwell or there had been no cover available (late running earlier) at Saughton Mains and was asked to continue for a while. I don't know if that is something that happens though.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Just a penny for a thought in regards to the Cameron Toll diversion, the 12 is currently following the 2/30 route to Southside, would it not make more sense to have the bus divert via Craigmillar Castle Road and Old Dalkeith Road towards the Gyle so Kings Building and Causewayside aren't being missed out? (Or even Greendykes Road).

I understand alot of time and thought is put into these diversions (mostly), but in this instance it completely cuts out most of the route that isn't covered by another link, and it would make journeys to the university even more chaotic.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Just a penny for a thought in regards to the Cameron Toll diversion, the 12 is currently following the 2/30 route to Southside, would it not make more sense to have the bus divert via Craigmillar Castle Road and Old Dalkeith Road towards the Gyle so Kings Building and Causewayside aren't being missed out? (Or even Greendykes Road).

I understand alot of time and thought is put into these diversions (mostly), but in this instance it completely cuts out most of the route that isn't covered by another link, and it would make journeys to the university even more chaotic.
Good luck getting a bus down Craigmillar Castle Road.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
That's why I also said Greendykes Road as a suggestion if that wasn't viable.
The timetable would certainly not allow that as thats adding 20 minutes delay on at least right away
Saying that, is Craigmillar Castle Road that tight for a bus? A single decker no less.
its tight for a car a bus would never make it if it encountered other cars. The only way a bus would make it up there is on an empty road

CSB0241

On Moderation
Well, for a start, Craigmillar Castle Road would only be suitable for the 12 as it used minibuses, & that’s not happening any time soon. On top of that, the 12 has very short curtail time at both ends, so making the 12 follow a diversion that takes longer would mean that, even if not delayed at all, it would always be running late for its next run, & that’s not even including the fact that the way the roundabout is closed means that your diversion would still not work.

I’m surprised the Lothiancity brand has lasted so long. Anyone know why it exists as it’s only in the XLB’s?
The Lothian City brand seemed to be a flash in the pan when these buses were introduced a few years back along with the old Edinburgh Corporation crest logo, but gradually faded away. Looks like current thinking is to identify brands by just using red, green and blue buses these days. Plus Airlink for the 100 I suppose but that must be their sole competitive route now, against the tram and Brightbus services.

cam22

Even when some XLBs have been repainted they have retained the Lothiancity brand. I’d have thought it would have been phased out then. Seems a strange anomaly in branding with Lothian which is usually very consistent.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I think with regards to the 12, there’s simply no alternative option. As annoying as that is, this just proves how vital a junction Cameron Toll actually is at feeding and receiving traffic.

scosutsut

Does anyone know if they still put the occasional double decker on the 106 route?
It's got rarer in my observations, but it's not unheard of, the recently reintroduced extension to Fort Kinnaird doesn't block doubles like the old route used to.

I assume B8 availability has improved again.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It's got rarer in my observations, but it's not unheard of, the recently reintroduced extension to Fort Kinnaird doesn't block doubles like the old route used to.

I assume B8 availability has improved again.
There is one currently at Ferrymill Motors so it could happen.

I think one of the reasons why the 106 was rerouted in the first place was for it to be able to use doubles in the event of a single-decker shortage - the other reason being giving East Lothian students a link to Queen Margaret University under the East Coast Buses umbrella.

I think one of the reasons why the 106 was rerouted in the first place was for it to be able to use doubles in the event of a single-decker shortage - the other reason being giving East Lothian students a link to Queen Margaret University under the East Coast Buses umbrella.
Slightly related - what's the plan for if the A1 is shut to tall vehicles because of high winds? I remember it's happened before but I can't recall what happened to the X6. Are enough single deck vehicles sourced from somewhere? Or does the X6 just divert via Musselburgh?

Slightly related - what's the plan for if the A1 is shut to tall vehicles because of high winds? I remember it's happened before but I can't recall what happened to the X6. Are enough single deck vehicles sourced from somewhere? Or does the X6 just divert via Musselburgh?
The A1 high wind closures are usually only east of Dunbar (main problem area is around the bridge over the Tyne) with very rare closures from Haddington eastwards so the X6 won't be affected. The X7 is single deck east of Haddington anyway