• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loud stretches of track - past or present

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom1649

There used to be a lovely roar in Totley tunnel, best enjoyed on a Class 101 with many windows open.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class195

Easy for me - riding a 142/144 off the Bentham line into Carnforth station.

Be far the loudest screeching I've ever experienced on a train journey.

Logan Carroll

The Subway - the small and cavernous nature of the system seems to amplify the wheel squeal to levels I've never experienced anywhere else. It can be almost "ear-shattering" at times.
It’s especially noticeable if the person across from you is trying to make conversation and you literally can’t make out a word their saying at points.

TheEdge

Established Member
Buckenham-Brundall particularly in the Strumpshaw Fen area. This is down to flat bottom or bullhead rail from what I gather. Not so not noticible to passengers now all trains are air-conditioned & sealed.

I hate that bit. I love to drive with the windows open so either close them along there or just constantly put my foot on and off the pedal just so I don't drop the DSD through not being able to hear it over the roar.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s especially noticeable if the person across from you is trying to make conversation and you literally can’t make out a word their saying at points.

Try full stop. Holding a conversation on The Subway takes some skill without using mime and/or sign language!

The new stock is supposed to be quieter on sharp curves so I assume it either has wheel lubrication or radial bogies to ease the strain of the tight curves.

SJDCornwall

The western end of Honiton tunnel on the Salisbury Exeter line used to have roaring rails back in the late 70s early 80,s I can remember it being very loud as you approached the western end from the East.

387star

On Moderation
Approaching Billingshurst on down and fareham from the tunnel both rough jointed track. Why such short sections ?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Thirsk has a distinctive change in rail pitch on the up as you pass through it at 125mph...

Usually accompanied by a courteous blast of the horn directed at a train cranking colleague sat in the ticket office!

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
The London Underground has some terrible sections of rail roar, has anyone been through the Northbound City Branch Northern Line Tunnel between Euston and Camden Town? Or from South Wimbledon to Morden? Awful sound.

XAM2175

Established Member
The new stock is supposed to be quieter on sharp curves so I assume it either has wheel lubrication or radial bogies to ease the strain of the tight curves.
The Stadler units will indeed have radial-steering bogies, plus smaller-diameter wheels and a shorter wheelbase.

450.emu

Various sections of the Berks & Hants at various times. One of the worst offenders had to be the Victoria line from Severn Sisters to FP ( quite some time ago now ), what with it actually being fairly quick there & the noise it felt like a demonic rollercoaster. Actually I'm not sure you could even describe the Vic as roaring, it was practically howling.
It is deafening still on the Victoria line between Finsbury Park and Seven Sisters, though just on the northbound. There used to be a decent section of jointed track there which has been replaced by this noisy stuff.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The Stadler units will indeed have radial-steering bogies, plus smaller-diameter wheels and a shorter wheelbase.
Should hopefully quieten things, nothing to my ears is comparable on mainline rail or even on the likes of other metros in Europe or the London Underground.

King Lazy

Judging by this post the exact spot I posted about earlier in this thread has been re-sleepered and ballasted.

This is where the Bootle explosion took place. It would be interesting to see if there is any noticeable noise in the area now.

Philip

On Moderation
Does anyone remember the Calder Valley line having a lot of loud stretches years ago and is it still like this now? I remember travelling along it about 13 years ago and I seem to recall a lot of noisy stretches, but I haven't been on it for many years.

Also I can remember a loud stretch on the up line between Romiley and Marple around the same time period.

SteveM70

Established Member
Does anyone remember the Calder Valley line having a lot of loud stretches years ago and is it still like this now? I remember travelling along it about 13 years ago and I seem to recall a lot of noisy stretches, but I haven't been on it for many years.

Also I can remember a loud stretch on the up line between Romiley and Marple around the same time period.

There’s nothing obvious between Hebden Bridge and Manchester. The most exciting it gets is that there’s a rail joint about 10 seconds into Summit tunnel heading east, which (to me at least) makes a nice echo in the summer if you’re on a unit with opening windows

Halish Railway

Established Member

There’s still a loud stretch between Halifax and Low Moor (going towards Low Moor) near Bottom Hall viaduct.

Meglos

A friend who works for TFL claims that Liverpool Street to Bethnal Green eastbound on the Central Line has the worst 'Flange Squeal' on the entire Underground Network. From personal experience it's certainly very loud, but I've not travelled regularly on some of the other TFL sections highlighted above.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
No question. The railway equivalent of finger nails being scratched down an old school blackboard. ;)

(You Tube clip of a rather noisy Pacer unit at Lincoln)

Ooh, I dunno. Wheel flange squeal of mk4s through Newcastle Central station comes a very close second!

D6130

Established Member
A lot of people on here are still confusing "roaring rail", which mainly occurs/occured on straight(-ish) sections of track, with "flange squeal", which occurs on sharp curves. For some reason, jointed flat bottom rail, laid on wooden sleepers with elastic spikes or Macbeth fastenings between the late 1940s and the early 1960s, seemed to have been particularly prone to the problem. As well as the well-known stretches already flagged-up on this thread, I can remember very noisy stretches on the G&SWR main line, especially through Auldgirth on the Down; across Farlington Marshes between Bedhampton and Farlington Junction on both lines, prior to the late 1970s relaying; long stretches of the Settle-Carlisle line; sections of the Perth-Dundee line and North Wales Coast Line. A former P. Way colleague in Scotland told me that sections of that type of track with both very soft subsoil (e.g the Fens and Perth-Dundee) and very hard subsoil (e.g. the S&C and G&SW) were particularly prone to the problem. The widespread use of rail grinding trains from the mid 1980s onwards has largely, but not entirely, eliminated the problem. However, recently-ground rails emit a different sort of high-pitched whining sound.

Philip

On Moderation
Was it not so much of a problem with bullhead rail?

I noticed there were different types of the rail roar, in some places it was a fairly high-pitched screaming/singing noise (not flange squeal or the recently ground noise btw), but in others it was a low-pitched noise which sounding almost like a hurricane; the latter seemed more common on slower, jointed track.

The Chat Moss down line? (towards Manchester) stands out for making the high-pitch screaming noise I mention. It was very noisy nearly constantly from around Parkside Junction through to Astley box/crossing. I can remember this for years through the 2000s but by 2009 either new track had been laid or it had been treated as it has been quiet since then. Seem to recall the Liverpool-bound track across Chat Moss was noisy in the 90s but it wasn't by the mid 2000s.

Examples of the lower-pitch hurricane roar include sections of the Mid-Cheshire line around Knutsford area and the Southport and Atherton lines, at least up to a few years ago.

Welly

No question. The railway equivalent of finger nails being scratched down an old school blackboard. ;)

(You Tube clip of a rather noisy Pacer unit at Lincoln)
Don't even need to play that video to remember that sound with a shudder!

Irascible

Established Member
Was it not so much of a problem with bullhead rail?

I noticed there were different types of the rail roar, in some places it was a fairly high-pitched screaming/singing noise (not flange squeal or the recently ground noise btw), but in others it was a low-pitched noise which sounding almost like a hurricane; the latter seemed more common on slower, jointed track.

The Chat Moss down line? (towards Manchester) stands out for making the high-pitch screaming noise I mention. It was very noisy nearly constantly from around Parkside Junction through to Astley box/crossing. I can remember this for years through the 2000s but by 2009 either new track had been laid or it had been treated as it has been quiet since then. Seem to recall the Liverpool-bound track across Chat Moss was noisy in the 90s but it wasn't by the mid 2000s.

Examples of the lower-pitch hurricane roar include sections of the Mid-Cheshire line around Knutsford area and the Southport and Atherton lines, at least up to a few years ago.

I don't remember any on jointed rail ( not that I'm old enough to remember much on heavily used lines ) but perhaps chairs & keys might have prevented the specific type of resonance that triggers the damage. Nearest I can describe what I call rail roar is a very cheap ( so very low frequency range ) badly tuned radio; white noise but a very compressed range of it. I definitely remember it on CWR. I sort-of know what you mean with the screaming, I'm not sure what causes that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.