• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lowest Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarltonA

A few years ago I saw a railway bridge next to a level crossing in Hoddesdon. I think there was only about a five foot clearance. Is this the lowest bridge on the network?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGVDUDE

There's a very low bridge at bishton crossing, can't rember its height though, had to bow your head to pass through for sure!

rdwarr

A few years ago I saw a railway bridge next to a level crossing in Hoddeston. I think there was only about a five foot clearance. Is this the lowest bridge on the network?

I used to take my brother spotting there in the late 70s. Imagine our delight when somebody drove a Cortina under it forgetting he had a loaded roofrack on his car :)

brianfraser

I used to go on holiday as a boy to Monifieth (just north of Dundee) and there was a bridge with 6 feet of clearance I could walk under. Couldn't quite manage that now.

Incidentally, I still see quite a few bridges with the clearance stated in imperial units only, including a recently renovated one not far from where I live.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
I eat zander for breakfast

3887034740_4cee562af8_m.jpg
?

From Flickr

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not that odd to have a level crossing next to a low bridge. Allows traffic that can go under the bridge to proceed at all times, whilst taller vehicles can use the crossing when it is safe to do so.

OliverS

Not that odd to have a level crossing next to a low bridge. Allows traffic that can go under the bridge to proceed at all times, whilst taller vehicles can use the crossing when it is safe to do so.

See Manningtree for instance.

ReverendFozz

What is the width the Bridge at Penshaw near Washington, the Leamside Line goes over it, while i think it is about 8'-9' high, it is not very wide and can just say squeeze a single deck scania or merc citaro bus through it

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

O L Leigh

Established Member
A few years ago I saw a railway bridge next to a level crossing in Hoddesdon. I think there was only about a five foot clearance. Is this the lowest bridge on the network?

That's Essex Road.

Does it count now that both the underpass and crossing are closed and have been replaced with a new overbridge...?

O L Leigh

sprinterguy

Established Member
What is the width the Bridge at Penshaw near Washington, the Leamside Line goes over it, while i think it is about 8'-9' high, it is not very wide and can just say squeeze a single deck scania or merc citaro bus through it
It is 12' 3". Certainly not in the same league as some of the crazily low clearances that have been pointed out in other posts in this thread, although that bridge is definitely quite restrictive in terms of both width and height.

Ediswan

Established Member
Since this has popped up.

The 'low bridge' at Hoddesdon was built as a cattle creep, to allow herds of cows, sheep etc. to cross more easily. It was never intended for motor cars, they didn't exist. The bridge was 'hit' quite often, but I don't recall any damage beyond the paint.

I always used the crossing due to vehicle height. The bridge was not only low, it was single lane and a blind approach. Drivers attempting to go under would often have to brake sharply and reverse due to oncoming traffic. The eastbound traffic almost always left a gap in the queue to avoid blocking the bridge users.

The bridge is still there, but now fenced off. It is too low be useful as a footpath or cycleway.

irongecko

There is one by Flimby that is around 4 foot, but of course this is pedestrian only.

Eagle

Established Member
Not sure what the height of the bridge is there - of-course the level crossing has gone. Coundon Rd crossing in Coventry has a road under railway dive-under.

Coundon Road, Coventry is signed 6 ft 9 in (so the actual bridge height will be between 7' and 7' 3"). Clearly the GSV car driver thought s/he was going to have a go at it, and then thought again!

Truggist Lane, Balsall Common (next to Berkswell station) is only 3 inches higher—and this time there's no alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.