• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo - Apprentice Customer Driver - Newcastle (13/03/24)

baz962

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

Heard you have to clean the trains too as part of contract?!
That myth as well as many others were put to bed in this thread from 2 months ago. Some insight was provided by LUMO drivers which might be helpful:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That myth as well as many others were put to bed in this thread from 2 months ago. Some insight was provided by LUMO drivers which might be helpful:

This advert does suggest though that the qualified round didn’t get many takers as it’s only 2 months on for the same depot.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
This advert does suggest though that the qualified round didn’t get many takers as it’s only 2 months on for the same depot.
They got plenty, just ignored us for months. Then sent out a wedge of "thanks but no thanks"

It does make you wonder why they rejected competent, professional drivers and then decided they need to fill those vacancies with trainees.

Apart from the fact they don't get a massive government back-hander for taking on QTDs!!

Nick82

Possibly a picky approach for what ever reason.
I've heard a fair few have applied this time round but also not forgetting ex DB and Freightliner are looking for employment.

All in all I've heard a few from TPE, Northern and GC collectively have applied. Makes you wonder.

LittleByName

Done the assessments for this today and got to the Video Interview section where it wants me to record it. How does this work? do questions pop up on the screen and you answer them? Sorry if this sounds simple, just not used to this way of things

LNER's video interview poses a question and you recorded yourself answering it. You can have two goes but only keep 1st or 2nd recording. Having another go overwrites the first.
Usual kind of stuff 'tell us a time when you....'
Might be different for First, but usually things are similar in the industry.

LittleByName

LNER's video interview poses a question and you recorded yourself answering it. You can have two goes but only keep 1st or 2nd recording. Having another go overwrites the first.
Usual kind of stuff 'tell us a time when you....'
Might be different for First, but usually things are similar in the industry.
Ahh that doesn’t sound too bad, I guess it’s better than just typing it in a box on an application like a few places do. Thanks

WF4HA5HE

Ahh that doesn’t sound too bad, I guess it’s better than just typing it in a box on an application like a few places do. Thanks
I've just completed the assesment and i must say its one of the more difficult ones compared to other pre sifting assessments for driver jobs.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They got plenty, just ignored us for months. Then sent out a wedge of "thanks but no thanks"

It does make you wonder why they rejected competent, professional drivers and then decided they need to fill those vacancies with trainees.

Apart from the fact they don't get a massive government back-hander for taking on QTDs!!

Fair enough! As you say seems odd to go through the hassle, although the 'apprenticeship' money is I'm sure always welcome for any operator (I'm not as cynical as to suggest it a "back-hander" though!).

newtownmgr

Possibly because qualified drivers may well come with ASLEF membership. I believe Lumo still don’t recognise trade unions. I know it went to arbitration but not sure of the outcome. I’m sure someone may have up to date info.

Established Member
Possibly because qualified drivers may well come with ASLEF membership. I believe Lumo still don’t recognise trade unions. I know it went to arbitration but not sure of the outcome. I’m sure someone may have up to date info.

That was another myth that was debunked on the other thread.

WF4HA5HE

4th July 2023 the application was accepted.

Just out of interest does anyone know for Lumo drivers sign all way from Edinburgh-Kings Cross or is there 2 links were half do Edinburgh-Newcastle and half do Kings Cross- Newcastle?

Last edited:

Nick82

4th July 2023 the application was accepted.

Just out of interest does anyone know for Lumo drivers sign all way from Edinburgh-Kings Cross or is there 2 links were half do Edinburgh-Newcastle and half do Kings Cross- Newcastle?
Lumo Drivers sign both Newcastle to King's Cross and Newcastle to Edinburgh. Far as I'm aware there is only one link.

dan4291

t out of interest does anyone know for Lumo drivers sign all way from Edinburgh-Kings Cross or is there 2 links were half do Edinburgh-Newcastle and half do Kings Cross- Newcastle?

Lumo Drivers sign both Newcastle to King's Cross and Newcastle to Edinburgh. Far as I'm aware there is only one link.
See the driver depot thread at the top of the Careers section. There is one link and all drivers sign Edinburgh - Kings Cross as well as the Hertford Loop and York Avoiding lines.

I've done the assessments and now have 3 days to record answers to a few interview questions. Has anyone done these and can tell me what to expect so I can do a little prep for them

I've done the assessments and now have 3 days to record answers to a few interview questions. Has anyone done these and can tell me what to expect so I can do a little prep for them
It's a straightforward process. You get a minute to read the question and record an answer up to 3 mins long. If you don't like the first recorded answer you can try again, but you can only keep the second recording if you bin the first. You can watch the first recording back but there is a short countdown also going on while you're watching it. If you don't make a decision on trying again it will save the one you just did.
There isn't really anything to prepare as the questions are a natural extension from the previous assessments.