• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton Airport ticket machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauropod99

Does anybody know the location of the Luton Airport ticket machine? I bought a ticket from Luton Airport to Elstree-Borehamwood and selected the option to collect at Luton Airport. When I arrived at the airport I looked for the machine but couldn't find it. I then went to the shuttle bus stop, thinking there might be a machine there, but there wasn't. I therefore had to pay extra for the shuttle bus, which I had assumed was included in the cost of a ticket from Luton Airport (as opposed to the Parkway station).

Does the TVM actually exist? Or has it disappeared among all the building work? Also, what's the point of having tickets from the Airport if you then have to buy a ticket from the Airport terminal to the Parkway station? (my rail ticket clearly stated Luton Airport, not Luton Airport Parkway)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
There used to be a TVM inside the baggage reclaim hall as well as one right by the bus stop outside the terminal. But I haven't been to Luton for a couple of years.

baz962

Established Member
I think it is in arrival's just by the door's as you are leaving, however if it isn't or it has moved the shuttle bus staff should have pointed you in right direction did you ask them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does the TVM actually exist? Or has it disappeared among all the building work? Also, what's the point of having tickets from the Airport if you then have to buy a ticket from the Airport terminal to the Parkway station? (my rail ticket clearly stated Luton Airport, not Luton Airport Parkway)

You do NOT have to pay for the bus if your ticket states "Luton Airport", the extra is included in the fare (assuming you use the dedicated bus and not Arriva).

Were you charged? If so complain to Thameslink for a refund.

baz962

Established Member
You do NOT have to pay for the bus if your ticket states "Luton Airport", the extra is included in the fare (assuming you use the dedicated bus and not Arriva).

Were you charged? If so complain to Thameslink for a refund.

Correct you do not, but the op said they opted to collect at the airport and arriva don't serve parkway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Correct you do not, but the op said they opted to collect at the airport and arriva don't serve parkway.

They do go past it on the other side. Ah, I see they had to pay because they could not collect. I'd still complain in that case (the TVM if still present is clearly not well signed enough).

There were two as another poster said - one in international arrivals and one at the bus stop. I don't think the latter is there any more. Domestic arrivals may well not be served.

baz962

Established Member
They do go past it on the other side. Ah, I see they had to pay because they could not collect. I'd still complain in that case (the TVM if still present is clearly not well signed enough).

There were two as another poster said - one in international arrivals and one at the bus stop. I don't think the latter is there any more. Domestic arrivals may well not be served.

Only one arrival's except for private jet's which I assumed the op wasn't using as they most likely then wouldn't use a train probably have a chauffuer lol, ah yes the second poster came up while I was typing and no machine at bus stop the staff have them portable thing's.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Only one arrival's except for private jet's which I assumed the op wasn't using as they most likely then wouldn't use a train probably have a chauffuer lol, ah yes the second poster came up while I was typing and no machine at bus stop the staff have them portable thing's.

Domestic (and Channel Islands/CTA I *think*) arrivals are separate until you are through customs. The machine is in the baggage reclaim area.

baz962

Established Member
Domestic (and Channel Islands/CTA I *think*) arrivals are separate until you are through customs. The machine is in the baggage reclaim area.

Ah ok I meant I think the machine is by the outer door's which all arrival's come out. If I am correct and not 100 percent as I see it most day's as I work there but do not take much notice, as on the rare day's I use that shuttle I get it free. There is quite often a large queue so you could miss them if it is the machine I am thinking, on a side note the bus although run by Go ahead is seperate I believe to Thameslink. I am back in tomorrow morning so if the op need's I am happy to do a recce and see if I can find the machine for them, would be no problem.

baz962

Established Member
Now you mention it, the one from outside may well have been moved to there. If so it's right in front of you as you go out :)

Yes I think that's where I am thinking but you can't see it for the queue some day's.

baz962

Established Member
It is run under contract to Thameslink by Go-Ahead and carries Thameslink branding. Previously, in FCC days, it was run by, er, First (Northampton, before they closed it down). Coincidence much? :D

I know but when I was in the trainee process for Gtr I was asking the driver's , assuming we might be colleagues if I got in but they seemed to think not really although they get free travel.

sauropod99

I was looking around the exit after arrivals (it wasn't an international flight) but I didn't find anything. I didn't see one at the bus stop either and the driver didn't point one out to me (I'm sure he would have told me if there had been one there). Just telling the driver that the reference number you have is for a ticket from the airport doesn't actually work... you have to have proof that you paid for a ticket from the airport and if there's no machine there you won't have proof till you get to the machine at Parkway...by which time it's too late!

sauropod99

Ah ok I meant I think the machine is by the outer door's which all arrival's come out. If I am correct and not 100 percent as I see it most day's as I work there but do not take much notice, as on the rare day's I use that shuttle I get it free. There is quite often a large queue so you could miss them if it is the machine I am thinking, on a side note the bus although run by Go ahead is seperate I believe to Thameslink. I am back in tomorrow morning so if the op need's I am happy to do a recce and see if I can find the machine for them, would be no problem.

Thanks, I might have missed it if there was a crowd in front of it! It would be useful to know for next time (in January)

baz962

Established Member
Thanks, I might have missed it if there was a crowd in front of it! It would be useful to know for next time (in January)
+
I will double check tomorrow although I would remind me again in jan as due to the building work's you mentioned it could well be in another county by then lol, I will post on here tomorrow afternoon if I remember.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was looking around the exit after arrivals (it wasn't an international flight) but I didn't find anything. I didn't see one at the bus stop either and the driver didn't point one out to me (I'm sure he would have told me if there had been one there). Just telling the driver that the reference number you have is for a ticket from the airport doesn't actually work... you have to have proof that you paid for a ticket from the airport and if there's no machine there you won't have proof till you get to the machine at Parkway...by which time it's too late!
I arrived on a flight from outside the EU about two and a half weeks ago and there were two, possibly three, Thameslink TVMs immediately as you passed through the exit from the arrivals hall and go around the maze. There was also a Thameslink ticket office with what looked to be one of the standard ticket office machines.

You can see them on the Luton Airport website (why does their website call them LLA when Luton is LTN?) on the second diagram down marked with the number '5' and a train symbol. The TVMs are the ones shaded light green and the ticket office is white.

https://www.london-luton.co.uk/inside-lla/map-of-inside-lla

baz962

Established Member
I arrived on a flight from outside the EU about two and a half weeks ago and there were two, possibly three, Thameslink TVMs immediately as you passed through the exit from the arrivals hall and go around the maze. There was also a Thameslink ticket office with what looked to be one of the standard ticket office machines.

You can see them on the Luton Airport website (why does their website call them LLA when Luton is LTN?) on the second diagram down marked with the number '5' and a train symbol. The TVMs are the ones shaded light green and the ticket office is white.

https://www.london-luton.co.uk/inside-lla/map-of-inside-lla

Number 5 are the ones I was quoteing just as you leave, LTN is just the airport code LLA stands for London Luton Airport is what we refer ourselves to.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Mojo, LLA stands for 'London Luton Airport', which is how the owners of the airport wish it to be known. It's a confusing acronym to have all over their website, as it is not the standard aviation code for the airport...

Haywain

Veteran Member
There used to be a TVM inside the baggage reclaim hall as well as one right by the bus stop outside the terminal. But I haven't been to Luton for a couple of years.
The bus stop has certainly moved at some time in the relatively recent past. I was quite surprised by its location when I was there a few weeks ago.

ejstubbs

The bus stop has certainly moved at some time in the relatively recent past. I was quite surprised by its location when I was there a few weeks ago.

Glasgow Airport: Proud to Serve Scotland
Edinburgh Airport: Where Scotland Meets the World
Leeds Bradford Airport: Connecting You to the World
London Stansted Airport (also Manchester Airport): Your Gateway to the World
London Luton Airport: It'll be great when it's finished! Honest!!

(and not forgetting Southampton Airport: We're over here! Hello!?)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mojo, LLA stands for 'London Luton Airport', which is how the owners of the airport wish it to be known. It's a confusing acronym to have all over their website, as it is not the standard aviation code for the airport...
I guessed that, but as you say it's a bit of a strange thing to put up given the airport is already well known as LTN (as indeed is the code that would appear on customers' travel documentation as well as suitcase tags etc.)

David57

I came through there yesterday, there were four machines adjacent to the very last door as you leave the building, next to the rail ticket office.
As has been posted, with people using them, they were not that easy to spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.