• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lymington Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

I went to Lymington the other day and spoke to the guy there. He told me he was now based there but said he did not want to comment on what went on before which is understandable. Looks like the theory that SWT wanted to reduce the hour there were incorrect.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
For SWT to reduce the ticket office opening hours there'd have to be an application and consultation.

From what I heard, Faletto had a history of trespassing, which is why he was moved from Sway.

Clip

Established Member
So there is a new booking clerk there then. And is on a shorter shift then Mr Falsetto(??) was? And he cant talk about the incident with Mr Cornetto(??).

So there is a new booking clerk there then. And is on a shorter shift then Mr Falsetto(??) was? And he cant talk about the incident with Mr Cornetto(??).
Same hours.He said he wouldn't comment not couldn't I really must check what I write so will edit. He also said that he gets asked almost every day and has no interest in what went on before

BestWestern

Established Member
Any employee would be silly to pass comment on such publicly sensitive matters, as there is always a risk that the 'member of the public' asking 'innocent' questions is actually a dirty media hack [insert considerably more offensive description here if they work for the NoTW] who might take your 'off the record' comments and, having read your name badge, quote you in tomorrrow's rag. Hence the ever-present training to railway staff that after any incident you must, without exception, direct all queries to the press office.

Clip

Established Member
Same hours.He said he wouldn't comment not couldn't I really must check what I write so will edit. He also said that he gets asked almost every day and has no interest in what went on before

Its probably the biggest bit of news to happen in Lymington for centuries :lol:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It would be breach of contract for the new guy to talk about the case, especially as it is unresolved. The union would also counsel against talking to anyone about it.

Nicholas43

Can anyone confirm whether the union is helping Mr Faletto to apply to an employment tribunal?

starrymarkb

Established Member
From what I can gather the Union isn't supporting, and Mr Faletto doesn't want to go to tribunal

kennethw

there appear to be several threads on this subject, two have been closed, Lymington Times has an article to say that Faletto has asked for the case to be taken to a tribunal. Papers have been lodged, a date for the hearing will be the next development
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any employee would be silly to pass comment on such publicly sensitive matters, as there is always a risk that the 'member of the public' asking 'innocent' questions is actually a dirty media hack [insert considerably more offensive description here if they work for the NoTW] who might take your 'off the record' comments and, having read your name badge, quote you in tomorrrow's rag. Hence the ever-present training to railway staff that after any incident you must, without exception, direct all queries to the press office.

and I'm sure everyone has heard that that highly steamed (and pressed) journal has gone under due to the phone hacking scandal

kennethw

Your rgith - the mail I do not read but thats just amazing.. :lol: im going to have to visit this town one day.

This article is not entirely correct. The Argos issue was started by one woman who no longer trades in Lymington, she suggested that it would be better sitauted in neighbouring Pennington, thereby starting a storm of protest. Sure there are some snobs in the town, but it is not all like that. The former Woolworths is now a 99p store, and there have been no protests about this lowering the tone of the neighbourhood, in fact many wrote in to say that they would rather have Argos than some expensive boutique used only by a few rich tourists.

It is not the issue of the pub, but the concern of it being next door to the churchyard and graveyard.

There are many of us involved in farming, livestock and so on that feel the formation of the national park is nothing but detrimantal because those in charge seem to know sweet FA about farming and livestock

kennethw

No they are rebranding!

Of course! Perhaps someone could come up with a good name that is oh so close to the original - with apologies to their daily publication, how about Nudes of the World

Will this Sundays edition become a collectors item on eBay, the only newspaper with no advertising
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did anyone expect any different? The idea that the 'Falsetto affair' was somehow to do with changing the hours of the ticket office was laughable...

....started by his supporters. A visit to the Town station and it seemed to be business as usual

Oracle

Established Member
Don't forget that the ex-Woolies 99P Store ran into problems with the burghers objecting to the signage when the shop was set up. I have to say that the final approved design is excellent.

We like Lymington because of its atmosphere, and frequent the Costa. The station building is a gem.

I should add that I agree with the comment about the National Park: if we wanted to lop off some tree branches in our garden it seems that we have get consent otherwise an offence is committed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I see the town council are still deferring their decision about the new ferry terminal work as well - probably still desperately trying to fend off the new ferries arriving, King Canute like... :roll:

They'll miss them when they're gone - and the branch has closed as well...

thefab444

Established Member
There are many of us involved in farming, livestock and so on that feel the formation of the national park is nothing but detrimantal because those in charge seem to know sweet FA about farming and livestock

It does do a fairly good job of limiting housing development - thus keeping house prices and quality of life higher.

kennethw

It does do a fairly good job of limiting housing development - thus keeping house prices and quality of life higher.

Disagree. 1. High house prices force out local people who cannot afford to get on the housing ladder and in many cases work within the Forest. One area has already been featured in national news because lower paid workers such as nurses just can't afford to live there anymore

What has happened with new housing in Lymington does not support this. where there were once a mix of traditional housing, there are now blocks of apartments - all aimed at one age group and section of society. where there were once gardens and greenery partially hiding housing, now the new frount doors virtually open onto the pavement

Affordabe housing - affordable for who?

2. One farmer applied for modification of use of his farm. It was first run through the local Agricultural Planning Inspector. He had to make 5 court appearences at a cost of £52,000 to get this through. The Planning Inspector approved the changes, the magistrate was going to approve, but the National Park representative moved the goalposts, then at the next hearing moved them again.....

3. Another farmer told that his hay barn is an illegal structure and should be demolished, so where does he keep animal fodder, and how does he feed his livestock when roads are impasssible due to inclement weather?

thefab444

Established Member
Disagree. 1. High house prices force out local people who cannot afford to get on the housing ladder and in many cases work within the Forest. One area has already been featured in national news because lower paid workers such as nurses just can't afford to live there anymore

What has happened with new housing in Lymington does not support this. where there were once a mix of traditional housing, there are now blocks of apartments - all aimed at one age group and section of society. where there were once gardens and greenery partially hiding housing, now the new frount doors virtually open onto the pavement

Lymington isn't actually in the national park, only the district council area so it makes sense to ensure all the new housing development in the district takes place outside of the national park boundaries. Anyway, Lymington is well known for being a grey-haired town and houses designed for old people sell well.

The rest of your points seem to be purely agricultural and don't really have any relevance to my original point about quality of life. I'm sure the regulations are pain in the proverbial for farmers, but the national park isn't really intended to help them. Although I've lived here all my life, I'm not enough of a local to get annoyed about hay barns and the like. ;)

kennethw

we seem to be getting away from the station, but no wonder Lymington is becoming a grey haired town, by encouraging outsiders to retire there and forcing locals out.

Agriculture is important in this area, and it is not a question of regulations. Ms Sandy Tolmay is disliked by members of her own team She is the one behind the aforementioned disputes The hay barn incident was solved by two words "animal welfare" . I am reminded of Beeching who did a very good job of closing railways and forcing people onto the roads - an accountant not a railwayman.If he or Serpell had had their way, the only railway west of Bristol would be to Exeter and Plymouth. Say goodbye to any railway in Cornwall, lines to Barnstaple, Torbay, Exmouth, Salisbury - Exeter, Reading -- Taunton via Westbury

kennethw

source Lymington times. Article said there was a long waiting list for dates. The article says the necessary papers have been lodged, so presumably the hearing is going ahead

kennethw

Bournemouth Echo is now reporting that six stations are liable to become unstaffed - Branksome, Hamworthy, Lymington Town, Parkstone, Pokesdown and Wool

Regarding house prices - they are double the average within the New Forest National park as opposed to Hampshire as a whole, for the average priced property, you won't get much change from £500,000 Reported in Berkshire that high house prices are making it difficult for those on a low or average salary to live there, including nurses and police officers. And housing benifit for those on low income or unemployed has been capped to encourage such people to seek cheaper accomodation

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Bournemouth Echo is now reporting that six stations are liable to become unstaffed - Branksome, Hamworthy, Lymington Town, Parkstone, Pokesdown and Wool

This is most probably related to the TSSA press release that has been in the news this week.

Reported in Berkshire that high house prices are making it difficult for those on a low or average salary to live there, including nurses and police officers.

This has been the case since at least 1998. I was nowhere near able to buy any property, I could just about afford a tiny flat in Reading. The papers were full of reports that firefighters and nurses could not afford to live in the area where they worked.

This is not really anything new and a lot more areas are affected than the New Forest and Berkshire.

Oracle

Established Member
As the previous thread has been closed I should risk incurring wrath and mention that the tribunal hearing has been set for early Novermber according to The Lymington Times..possibly 11th? Can't recall the exact date!

Status
Not open for further replies.