• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lymington Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

341o2

Established Member
Link seems to generate error 404 page not found. Today, 1st November BBC news reporting tribunal will go ahead today, so presumably later SWT will reveal their reasons for his dismissal stating that the facts are different to those reported by the media

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt Taylor

Established Member
SWT did warn people some months ago that it would not hold anything back should Faletto go for a tribunal.

It is a great shame that a railwayman is now out of work, but unfortunately he has only himself to blame.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Does this man ever give up? It was clear he was not going to win, hence why he was advised to withdraw his claim. Yet he still maintains he was in the right!!

341o2

Established Member
I was at Lymington Town one day, and while parents of two children sat in the waiting room, apparently oblivious to what they were up to, the children wandered off the platform end, and were on the verge of exploring the ballast. I pointed this out, Mr Faletto was quick to stress the danger they were in, pity he didn't heed his own advice. From what has been said on other threads on the same subject on this forum one can deduce that he had no authority to remove items from the vicinity of the tracks, if he had consulted his superiors first and obeyed any instructions, he would have still have had a job.

Initially, I was surprised to learn of his suspension and subsequent dismissal, but having investigated the facts, including posts on this forum have concluded it's a bit like two captains on a ship - it just doesn't work especially if one of them thinks gimbals are those two plates clashed together in the band. The New Forest is a wonderful place to live in terms of natural beauty, but some of its inhabitants seem to have less sense than the livestock roaming around as in a quote from the letters page of the Lymington Times

"The boxtickers were obviously unable to accomodate Mr Faletto's mild eccentricities"

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There are now a lot more comments on the local paper story from various locals , - best read and ones own mind made up.

wintonian

Established Member
I am not going to make judgement on what he may or may not have done, instead I will just say it is a real shame that someone who was so passenger focussed has been required to leave the industry for whatever reason.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
His focus on customer service was somewhat selective to say the least, although it is a shame that this man is out of work but from an operational perspective I am glad that somebody with such a cavalier attitude towards safety is no longer able to put themselves and others at risk.

It's free of costs for an (ex)employee to take a case to tribunal, and most do not incur any expense of their own legal representative as it is not really necesarry to have a solicitor present. Indeed, the tribunals system actively encourages a less formal atmosphere.

Most big companies however do "barrister up", as they want their staff to be adequately prepared, and potentially £000s is at stake through compensation claims. Companies will very often let the agrreived former employee know shortly before a hearing that they feel the company's case is strong, and if this is proved at tribunal they will be pusuing the employee for their costs incurred. This puts many people off a tribunal for obvious reasons -anecdotally nine out of ten back out at the last minute in such circumstances. It also discourages more spurious claims.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I'm disappointed that I joined SWT after he'd already "left", I would've liked to have met the man and see what all the fuss was about! :lol:

Established Member
Director of SWT Jake Kelly said: “We are pleased that Mr Faletto has finally withdrawn his case, which proves definitively that there was never any substance to the claims he made. “However, we remain angry at the way these fictitious Walter-Mitty-style claims were so quickly reported as fact. It is also doubly upsetting that many well-meaning people in community were so misled. “This was a matter of principle and integrity and we were fully prepared to outline the truth to the employment tribunal. “We are confident that they had heard all of the evidence, they would have found in our favour. For the avoidance of doubt, we have made no payment to settle this case and nor have we ever considered doing so. “As we have maintained all along, this case involved a serious

SWT Director? What a nasty, overpaid berk.

The guy lost his job, nothing like stabbing him in the back while he's down.

Should have made no comment.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Director of SWT Jake Kelly said: “We are pleased that Mr Faletto has finally withdrawn his case, which proves definitively that there was never any substance to the claims he made. “However, we remain angry at the way these fictitious Walter-Mitty-style claims were so quickly reported as fact. It is also doubly upsetting that many well-meaning people in community were so misled. “This was a matter of principle and integrity and we were fully prepared to outline the truth to the employment tribunal. “We are confident that they had heard all of the evidence, they would have found in our favour. For the avoidance of doubt, we have made no payment to settle this case and nor have we ever considered doing so. “As we have maintained all along, this case involved a serious

From someone so high up, I dare say that's a tad inappropriate / b*tchy.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

After the way SWT have been hauled over the coals and berated because of this, I think they are quite entitled to make a rather indignant statement after they had bothered to go over all the evidence with a magnifying glass, as well as getting interviews and statements from people only to be told on the day of the hearing that Mr. Falleto wasn't going to bother taking it any further.

Yes, it's sad that he lost his job and is now another unemployment statistic but he brought all this on himself.

............. only to be told on the day of the hearing that Mr. Falleto wasn't going to bother taking it any further.

As mentioned, the majority of claimants back down when they realise that in reality there is no such thing as a "cost free" tribunal. No comment from me on the case you understand, just no surprise it didnt go ahead.

Chris125

Established Member
[SWT Director? What a nasty, overpaid berk.

..and leave large numbers of people, especially in Lymington, saying he was paid off still in the belief that he's some life saving hero? A lot of people would not know there was considerable doubt about the existence of any trolley, his past history or the lies about getting a possession - SWT were quite right to vigorously defend their position. He brought it on himself, though it wasnt helped by locals and the media taking everything he said as though it was fact, jumping on a SWT-bashing bandwagon that he got swept along by.

Chris

BestWestern

Established Member
..and leave large numbers of people, especially in Lymington, saying he was paid off still in the belief that he's some life saving hero? A lot of people would not know there was considerable doubt about the existence of any trolley, his past history or the lies about getting a possession - SWT were quite right to vigorously defend their position. He brought it on himself, though it wasnt helped by locals and the media taking everything he said as though it was fact, jumping on a SWT-bashing bandwagon that he got swept along by.

Chris

Agreed! This gent seems to have woven a web of porkies as time has gone by with this, helped considerably by a media only too happy to print his version of events as definite fact. Now we find out that there might not even have been any obstruction on the line at all!

Bear in mind that for each and every claim he has made regarding his actions, SWT will have carried out detailed and thorough enquiries as to the truth, or otherwise, of those claims. Network Rail will have been called upon to assist them with this. His alleged telephone conversation with the controlling signaller would have been recorded if it took place, as well as the signaller himself presumably recalling the conversation when asked directly. That SWT have found 'no evidence' of it essentially means it did not happen. It quickly becomes apparent why SWT have stood firm on this.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That statement from the SWT Director will have been carefully drafted and lawyer-approved.

341o2

Established Member
reported by the New Forest Post statement by SWT director Jake Kelly

We are pleased that Mr Faletto has finally withdrawn his case, which proves definitely that there was never any substance in the claims he made

As we have maintained all along, this case involves a serious breach of safety

The fact is that there is no evidence that there was a trolley on the line, as Mr Faletto claimed, and the safety of our passengers was not compromised at any point

The only safety risk was caused by Mr Faletto's foolhardy actions in knowingly stepping down on to a section of live track for no justifiable reason

No trolley incident was recorded in the station log or reported to the management at the time - or even when Mr Faletto was first questioned by management. There was no evidence either of any call to a signalman or station

We are not interested in a box-ticking or jobsworth approach to these issues and the decision to dismiss Mr Faletto was not taken lightly

It is very sad that an individual who was recognised by the railway has acted in this way

Will see if the Lymington Times has anything more to add, but one thing has not always been made clear. He was employed at Lymington TOWN station, the incident took place at the Pier station where he had no business to be working unless directed by management
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Chris

yes, I sometimes think of Rowan Atkinson - was it in the Blackadder series, where he says "I'm going to start talking to myself, its the only way I can have an intelligent conversation at present". I wonder how many of his supporters will accept the facts, after all there seems to be a total refusal to accept them regarding the new ferries

wintonian

Established Member
yes, I sometimes think of Rowan Atkinson - was it in the Blackadder series, where he says "I'm going to start talking to myself, its the only way I can have an intelligent conversation at present". I wonder how many of his supporters will accept the facts, after all there seems to be a total refusal to accept them regarding the new ferries

Blackadder goes forth IIRC.

If its on the front page of the times/ advertiser then I can look at the on-line PDF or I'll have to see if my local Tesco still sells it.

341o2

Established Member
probably will be on the frount page will there be anything else to add. I doubt it
there is indeed something to add from the Lymington Times. He will receive his pension, and has obtained alternative employment with Wilts & Dorset bus co.

Additional statements made by SWT

In fact, CCTV evidence would have demonstrated that what was claimed would have virtually been impossible......

Any reasonable person with a proper knowledge of the railway would know that trains pass through the station at very low speed and even if there were this kind of obstruction, would never be at risk from derailment......

Our priority is to ensure our rail services are safe for passengers and our employees, and there is no place in the industry for someone who unnecessarily and blatantly ignores such fundamental safety rules

Indeed, if we had not taken action, we believe that there was a risk of a far more serious incident with potentially fatal consequences......

This has also been a difficult time for for our employees whose judgement and integrity was also unfairly questioned.

Mr Faletto still protests his innocence, he is adamant that he removed a shopping trolley, but states that he withdrew his claim as advised by his legal representation, solicitors employed by RMT. He states that it is difficult to fight such a big company
I am not going to make judgement on what he may or may not have done, instead I will just say it is a real shame that someone who was so passenger focussed has been required to leave the industry for whatever reason.

You would'nt think him passenger focused if you were a student at Brock college wanting to use the automatic ticket vending machines

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I think the statement from SWT was entirely appropriate. Faletto effectively conducted a smear campaign through local and national media, the company has a right of reply and hopefully the matter is now at an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.