• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

m ticket and flat battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcd

Hi,
Just a query. Yesterday I used an m-ticket for the first time and it struck me that I would be in problems if the battery on my phone went flat. How would I produce the ticket. Have all trains got a charging point so I could recharge it to present the ticket. If not what happens?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Hi,
Just a query. Yesterday I used an m-ticket for the first time and it struck me that I would be in problems if the battery on my phone went flat.

Indeed. It is your responsibility to produce a valid ticket.

How would I produce the ticket.

Good question, it's only on your phone.

Have all trains got a charging point so I could recharge it to present the ticket.

Quite a few trains have standard power sockets and the number is growing, but plenty do not. Where they are available (and actually working), it would be up to you to provide the phone charger.

If not what happens?

I guess it depends how lucky you are feeling, but best case scenario is that you'll need to buy a new ticket.

richw

Veteran Member
So m-tickets are unsuitable for iPhone users then! battery would be dead before reaching the destination, let alone the return journey :lol:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Well that was my experience when I first had an iPhone (3G) so a bought a Kensington battery pack for it.

I haven't needed it as much with later models, but it is a simple matter to disable the unnecessary and power hungry features anyway.

I can't see the point in risking an m-ticket anyway.

DelayRepay

Established Member
The only benefit I can see is that personally I am less likely to leave my phone behind or drop it than I am to lose one of my paper tickets/seat reservations. The other benefit is there's no need to queue for the TVM or worry about it not working etc.

alex17595

I have used M tickets once on XC, I was running late and just caught the train - lucky it was a M-ticket or I would have missed it. I believe its possible to get XC advances on that day with them as well.

neilmc

I've never lost a paper train ticket yet but I often forget to charge my phone before going out. I wouldn't entertain this for a second.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are travelling from a station without TOD collection available and there isn't time to get the tickets posted?
I wonder how many stations are in this category, where m-tickets are available from those stations and cheaper than buying on-board the train? I suspect not many (if any).

But, in theory, yes, you have a point, but for 99.9% of people there is no point in buying an m-ticket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The other benefit is there's no need to queue for the TVM or worry about it not working etc.
If the TVM isn't working, it's the railway's responsibility.
If your phone isn't working, it's your responsibility.

So I don't see much of a benefit there (well, not for passengers anyway!)

455driver

Veteran Member
If your phone with your 'oh look at me aint I clever' ticket is flat how do you get through the ticket barrier in the first place to get on the train to charge your phone?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
If your phone with your 'oh look at me aint I clever' ticket is flat how do you get through the ticket barrier in the first place to get on the train to charge your phone?

Is that purchased from the 'oh look at us all clever' TOC that developed and launched the ticket in the first place?

najaB

Veteran Member
Sometimes you don't get the choice, noticed on the CC app that a paper ticket isn't an option for some trains
Yeah, but that's when your already using the app - plus I suspect that its more accurate to say that a paper ticket isn't an option for some fares, rather than some trains.

455driver

Veteran Member
Is that purchased from the 'oh look at us all clever' TOC that developed and launched the ticket in the first place?

Only because they have got some wizz kid trying to make a name for themselves! ;)

I am sure in future electronic tickets will be quite normal but we are a long way from that yet.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I wonder how many stations are in this category, where m-tickets are available from those stations and cheaper than buying on-board the train? I suspect not many (if any).

But, in theory, yes, you have a point, but for 99.9% of people there is no point in buying an m-ticket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

If the TVM isn't working, it's the railway's responsibility.
If your phone isn't working, it's your responsibility.

So I don't see much of a benefit there (well, not for passengers anyway!)
I suppose the answer to the first one would be some obscure "Internet Only CrossCountry & connections" ticket from Merseytravel land or some mountainous rural region that doesn't have staffed stations.

But no, I agree, there is really no point buying an m-ticket if it can be avoided. You can't excess them, they're liable to fail in areas with poor coverage and BoJ is sometimes prohibited where it would otherwise be allowed.

Abpj17

I don't extensively use m-tickets yet. I do use them on the Thames Clippers though - actually easier than messing about with any other form of ticket with a smart activation feature where you have to be close to the departure point.

Not sure how m-tickets fail in areas of poor coverage tho? I believe they are saved to your phone, so you don't need a signal to show them, just to purchase.

Flamingo

Established Member
So far, I've only had one passenger claim their battery had failed. As I was pretty sure that m-tickets are not usually issued from Port Talbot to Cardiff, I charged him a new ticket with a clear conscience!

cuccir

Established Member
Are they available for flexible tickets as well as Advances? Say you're travelling for a half-hourly service. You want to get the next train but are not sure you'll make it. Maybe you're on a late running bus or stuck in traffic (with someone else driving ;)) and think you'll get there in time but only just - and the ticket buying time would eat up the slack? I can see them coming in then.

Would also be useful if travelling from an unstaffed station on a busy line, saving the hassle of queuing on arrival at the terminus.

Qwerty133

Established Member

Here's one example (Narborough to Manchester Piccadilly departing tonight at around 18:30iirc)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-20-09-42-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-20-09-42-47.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 81

TEW

Established Member
You can't excess them, they're liable to fail in areas with poor coverage and BoJ is sometimes prohibited where it would otherwise be allowed.

FGW m-tickets on flexible tickets are able to excessed. I'm not quite sure how it works in practice.

radamfi

Established Member
FGW m-tickets on flexible tickets are able to excessed. I'm not quite sure how it works in practice.

Which m-tickets on FGW are flexible? This says you can only buy Advance tickets on m-ticket:

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Train-times-and-tickets/Mobile-App

m-tickets are of marginal benefit with Advance tickets as you avoid having to queue at the ticket machine. They would be far more use for flexible tickets as you can simply buy the ticket just before you leave home to catch the train, or even while you are waiting on the platform for the train. This facility is available for walk on tickets on Belgian, Swiss and German railways, and probably others. I wouldn't be surprised if Britain is soon one of the few railways in western Europe where you have to queue up for a piece of paper before travelling.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Interesting M-Ticket Experience with National Express coach this weekend. They charge £2 for M-Tickets to be sent to phone. So I did the usual Print at Home. Then on the Morning of my Departure I noticed that Google Now (the Android version of Siri) had generated a "Boarding Pass" for the coach with the correct Barcode and Reference Numbers from the confirmation Email. This was accepted with no problem by the drivers!

Should add that with flight and coach mobile passes I always have a paper backup - the mobile is more convenient as I don't have to dig the documents out at the gate.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Then on the Morning of my Departure I noticed that Google Now (the Android version of Siri) had generated a "Boarding Pass" for the coach with the correct Barcode and Reference Numbers from the confirmation Email.

How did Google Now know you were travelling that day? Did they look through your Gmail or was the trip stored in your Google Calendar?

I would like to use National Express m-tickets but I don't want to pay for it, so I have to print it. My regular trip involves splitting tickets in Manchester, with a regular ticket for the first part and an Funfare (non-changeable) ticket onwards. I have to buy the regular ticket at a National Express vending machine or ticket office or National Express agency to avoid the booking fee. The booking fee is unavoidable for the Funfare.

It seems crazy that I have to go to the trouble of getting a paper ticket to save £2 when surely issuing a m-ticket would be cheaper for the company?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
How did Google Now know you were travelling that day? Did they look through your Gmail or was the trip stored in your Google Calendar?

I would like to use National Express m-tickets but I don't want to pay for it, so I have to print it. My regular trip involves splitting tickets in Manchester, with a regular ticket for the first part and an Funfare (non-changeable) ticket onwards. I have to buy the regular ticket at a National Express vending machine or ticket office or National Express agency to avoid the booking fee. The booking fee is unavoidable for the Funfare.

It seems crazy that I have to go to the trouble of getting a paper ticket to save £2 when surely issuing a m-ticket would be cheaper for the company?

Quite - much prefer Megabus's ticketing - they charge a whole 10p to send my reference number to my mobile which seems worth it. £2 for a mobile ticket's a different matter (especially given the low price level of most coach tickets I go for).

rdeez

You'd need to buy a new ticket!

Why would anyone ever buy an m-ticket anyway?!

Personally: Because it lets me purchase an advance ticket up to 10 minutes before my journey (XC), usually saving anything between a few pence and a couple of quid without sacrificing much in flexibility; because where I am certain of my travel times I can buy several in advance and not have to worry about printing or collection and see all my future journeys in one place on the app

Edit: Oh, and now their app also accepts NUS Extra card numbers, I can now get 10% off their advance fares that way too :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.